Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New car delivery tips

Well to say I'm over the moon is an understatement..loan has just been approved and i'll be taking delivery of a brand new XR6T SVP in Vanish sometime next week! what a birthday present!

Pics to come..just after some tips on things to look out for before accepting delivery..the obvious ones come to mind re marks etc but what about those little things that you might gloss over or not notice?

GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New car delivery tips

tell them you want a full tank of fuel - i was not happy after forking out $40k for a new car and getting less than half a tank of fuel.. when i told the person doing the handover her response was "did you ask for a full tank"

try and have a good look over it while it is clean - i picked mine up on a rainy day and didn't notice a slight scratch on the read quarter panel until a week later when i washed it..

most of all enjoy the new car and don't get done for speeding
Old 25-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They usually deliver the car under cover, pull it into the sun so you can see the paint for imperfections.

Cheers
Nathan
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Nice one mate !!

Check that the build date is in accordance with your agreed contract.
Make sure all the accessories/extras that you may have ordeered are there.
As mentioned above, give the car a thorough going over in good lighting.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks fellas..Bryan Byrt must be the #1 dealership for a reason. Will ask about fuel though. Re paint..I did notice that another Vanish ute had wicked orange peel on the tub while the cab was perfect..is this something to pick up on or will i just get the response they're all like that? Which is probably true.
Old 25-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only pick it up and inspect it on a dry day with good light. Don't accept it with any faults on a promise of it being fixed at the first service. Don't accept any verbal promises if something is promised get it in writing.
take it for a test drive with the salesman if there is any funny noises etc get them fixed before you sign for the car. oce you have signed for it, it is easier for them to try to get out of fixing things

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
stang65
FPRJET

Take some one with you who is fussy and even doesn`t like Fords and ask them to find the faults.Check all headlights and tail lights for scuffs( they put headlight covers on mine only to find out the headlights had scratches, needless to say the headlights were replaced under warranty).

Check doors, check under bumper for scratches from when unloading from truck.

Check door trims for any excess glue on material.

Check wheels for scratches, Check interior display for any marks. Check stitching on seats.

After you have checked everything check it again. any faults you find make sure you get the dealer to note down that they will be fixed or do not accept the car.
Old 25-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Check the KM's on the odometer. If it is in excess of 100kms I would want to know why. Check the dash for any warning lights, every now and again I've heard of cars being delivered with ABS or check engine lights on.

If it has a reverse camera ensure that is working correctly as because it is a relatively new technology it can occasionaly get through without being checked thoroughly during the pre delivery inspection.

Check the tightness of the handbrake.

With the fuel side of things, I personally wouldn't expect more than 20L in the tank. Afterall, it is a car dealership not a service station and if you're filling every tank over the 50-60 cars you deliver per month you could only imagine the cost this would have on a business where the profit levels are not as high as you'd expect.
Old 25-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Mostly everythings been covered. I wouldnt worry about the fuel as you will only get 91, Run it straight to a servo and feed her some 98.

The biggest thing that goes past delivery is scuffed front bumpers. Make sure ou get under the car and look. Check the wheels for gutter rash including the spare if it is a full size. Take the car outside in the sun to look for paint imperfections, major swirls should not be excepted. Minor swirls are part of a dealership car and will be under all the oily glaze the car will have on. In the sun you should be able to see them and if your not happy get them to pay a professional to have it polished. Unfortunately the orange peel is something you will have to live with. All new cars have it as a NCO. It helps hide imperfections in the body work under the paint.
Check the seats for defects as they are hard to get rectified afterwards. Make sure obviously that the electrics all work and that your happy with the interior.
Lastly you will probably feel like a dick doing everything everyone has said as the sales team will be looking on but take your time and make sure your happy.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

The first rule is ya need me to run it in for ya.... fairs fair eh?
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Dean you won't have any dramas with Bryan Byrt.

My XR6 T SVP was mint when I picked it up.. they are great to deal with!

Can't wait to see some pics of yours, I was up there yesturday at their holding yard looking at a GT Black Edition but didn't spot your ute anywhere! It must have been hiding.

Good luck
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo77
They usually deliver the car under cover, pull it into the sun so you can see the paint for imperfections.

Cheers
Nathan
You see some imperfections in the sun. Other are only apparent under fluro lights.

I would check it for dings, scratches before getting the keys. Then take it home and go over it in the privacy of your garage.......
Old 25-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
munners

..and from experience with a brand new Focus, make sure the headlights work. Much better to find out at the dealer than at 5:30 on saturday afternoon when everyone has gone home and you have a 3 hour drive ahead of you...

Munners
munners is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
The first rule is ya need me to run it in for ya.... fairs fair eh?
Apparently already run in from factory so that won't be a problem i'll take ya for a spin sometime next week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Dean you won't have any dramas with Bryan Byrt.

My XR6 T SVP was mint when I picked it up.. they are great to deal with!

Can't wait to see some pics of yours, I was up there yesturday at their holding yard looking at a GT Black Edition but didn't spot your ute anywhere! It must have been hiding.

Good luck
Great to hear mate! That eases my mind a fair bit. I think mine came in yesterday or the day before..surprised to say the least..6-8 weeks turned into just 2 and a half! I think this will be the slowest week of my life waiting
Old 25-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
CODSASR

We only ever give cars 1/4 of a tank of 91 before delivery. Make sure any extras you ordered are there (amazing how many cars are delivered minus headlight protectors or mats because service forgot to install or order them).

Check that the spare wheel is there (few of those missing too), and make sure there is a PD sticker on the windscreen.

Good luck and enjoy the new beast

2012 SZ TS Territory
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #16
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Have a good proper look over the whole car as mentioned, also any accessories are exactly as ordered (genuine factory etc).
Once you hand the money or cheque over, things become much harder to rectify.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

First rule:

They haven't properly done a pre-delivery inspection on it, when I was working at a dealership, I was responsible for pre delivery, and we where told, tick the sheet, put it up on the hoist, remove the gromets, put it down, sign the sheet, get it washed, put it back in the yard.

I'd be highly suspicious.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #18
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers, finally found an in stock picture of my order on carsales...have to say the 19's suit the colour a lot more than the F6 18's do on the XR6LE

Old 27-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #19
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I chased a set of those wheels for 18 months Dean ..... *sigh*
Old 27-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #20
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I chased a set of those wheels for 18 months Dean ..... *sigh*
ahh if i decide to upgrade wheels you can have first pick mate
Old 27-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #21
Road Games

Hmmm got some 17's with semi slicks here

anyway back to the ute, will ya have it Mon ??
Old 27-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #22
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hmmm got some 17's with semi slicks here

anyway back to the ute, will ya have it Mon ??
Nah mate, in stock today apparently a bit of a delay..will be registered and pre delivery stuff from mon so should have it by wed hopefully.
Old 27-08-2011, 02:31 PM   #23
Road Games

Awesome i've changed mine a fair bit as well ... i think some playtime is in order
Old 27-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #24
FgNewbie
Australia

Apart from anything else, I sit in the car like a dummy with the salesman and get instructions on how to use or adjust things. Things get tested and I might learn something too.

Using the same logic I go over my cars with the salesman. Possibly the worse problem I've found before delivery was an unsealed join near the rear passenger's door jam. I've had missing accessories, it's never been an issue to resolve.

If bluetooth is important to you, pair your phone before you pay.

The most petty and inconvenient problem I've had was with a Landcruiser. I spent a fortune with ARB on accessories before delivery. Day of delivery I took the driving light cover off and the guts came out with the cover. Dealership tried to fix it without success. I wasted a full day getting it resolved. (ARB blamed the dealership and vice versa, I refused to pay for the replacement driving light).

Enjoy your new ride
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post