Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default 300mm brakes vs 322mm. Is the extra 22mm worth it?

Ive been looking around for some brake upgrade options for the ute for a while as it still has the standard 287mm disc setup. I was keen on the BF> setup which takes things up to 322mm but the catch is I only want to buy the calipers and lines - not the rotors and pads which seem to be a part of all the deals. I work in auto retail so getting those bits nice and cheap isnt a big problem hence I dont want to buy them with the calipers.

I am seeing a lot of 300mm BA/BF brake calipers available though and I'm now wondering if that extra 22mm is going to make a major difference? I have previously had the 322mm brakes on 2 cars and was happy with them, but just wondering if I might chuck the 300mm ones on the current AU and see how it goes.

What does everyone think?

Old 23-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default Re: 300mm brakes vs 322mm. Is the extra 22mm worth it?

No Tickford 329mm no care.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats the price difference looking like? Surely 22mm isnt that big of an increase, however, in saying that, whats another 13mm from 287 - 300. I say if your going upgrade from AU and you dont wanna go the tickford upgrade, then get 322's.

Racebrakes sydney?

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
DW260

I'll sell you mine if I buy the FG Turbo ute...
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
EFFalcon
Last warning

for the average street car, prob not worth it.
if it goes to the track, different story.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
adumb
FG G6ET

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
for the average street car, prob not worth it.
if it goes to the track, different story.
Id agree with that i went from 287mm to 322mm and you really only notice the difference when you sink your foot into the brake pedal, just normal driving there isnt noticably much difference to me.

Although they do look nice behind the 18"s haha
Old 23-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I reckon it's a worthwhile improvement if you intend to do hard driving. I was looking at doing this a while back but it never eventuated due to other interests. As others have said, unless you do a lot of track work or heavy hills driving, don't bother and just make sure your current rotor and pad setup is as good as it is.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

22mm will make next to no difference, all else being equal.
Pad choice is the most critical aspect of brakes.
Old 23-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sox is right, certainly some qaulity pads make a huge difference in stopping power(especially if you don`t care about rotor wear), i tryed street road and track pads on the front,(bloody Magnificent, but at $250 an end they should be), you, could just feel them taking metres out of your normal stopping distance, and that was front only s r t, my stock rotors would still get hot quick though, i have a set bf high series turbo brakes 322 mm f 328 vented rear rotors inthe shed, i`m hoping they should be a little better on the au with heat durability though.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW260
I'll sell you mine if I buy the FG Turbo ute...
Yeah I know. We'll talk. The ute doesnt do track work but I do like having the good stuff wherever I can.
Old 23-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate I was going to do a brake upgrade than I sat down and did my sums
Do I need the extra stoping power no as my car is only hardly driven on the street no hard driving at all.
Looks good yes but thats just a **** factor again waste of money better spent on something for the interior that you can actually enjoy.
I have driven cars with the stock au setup and with the 32mm brakes and honestly for the street no difference I'd rather go s/s lines and a good pad slotted rotor combo thats my 2 cents.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

22 mm might not seem much but it was explained to me some time ago by casper ( some here will remember him and his ghostly padlock) the further from centre your pads are the greater the stopping distance for a given pad size / caliper force. the reason is leverage and the further you go out the less distance is required to make a difference so 22mm on top of 300 makes a big difference in an emergency stop and gives a firmer pedal

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #13
XLS-5.0L

It's amazing what a complete flush and quality brake fluid can do
- MSD Coil pack
- 3/8 Phenolic spacer
- Sniper Flash tune

Love the Windsor!!
XLS-5.0L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
22 mm might not seem much but it was explained to me some time ago by casper ( some here will remember him and his ghostly padlock) the further from centre your pads are the greater the stopping distance for a given pad size / caliper force. the reason is leverage and the further you go out the less distance is required to make a difference so 22mm on top of 300 makes a big difference in an emergency stop and gives a firmer pedal
I can't agree with this.
22mm on 300mm is a very small percentage. Yes, the bigger the rotor, the greater the leverage, however 22mm is a very small amount and will make no negligible difference.

Pad choice will make a much larger difference than 22mm extra diameter ever will.

You also make mention of emergency stops and pedal feel.

Single emergency stops can be done with even quite small rotors, it's only when we're looking at multiple emergency stops in a row do we then benefit from larger rotors with more swept area allowing better cooling.

And pedal feel is largely controlled by pad material, and to a lesser extent the brake lines.
Old 23-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Well as it turns out I've got some tickford premiums going on tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
Old 23-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Well as it turns out I've got some tickford premiums going on tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
Good call.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #17
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

better pedal feel comes from less caliper effort required to get the same braking force . if your logic about percentages were correct why do they go to greater expense making cars with bigger brakes ( needing bigger wheels etc) . the fact is everything adds to braking pads. calipers , hose type , and overall diameter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
I can't agree with this.
22mm on 300mm is a very small percentage. Yes, the bigger the rotor, the greater the leverage, however 22mm is a very small amount and will make no negligible difference.

Pad choice will make a much larger difference than 22mm extra diameter ever will.

You also make mention of emergency stops and pedal feel.

Single emergency stops can be done with even quite small rotors, it's only when we're looking at multiple emergency stops in a row do we then benefit from larger rotors with more swept area allowing better cooling.

And pedal feel is largely controlled by pad material, and to a lesser extent the brake lines.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #18
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Smile Re: 300mm brakes vs 322mm. Is the extra 22mm worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
I can't agree with this.

But what about applying that better pad choice/fluid to the 322mm setup,I know what would be in front in terms of all aspects of braking.All up you recieve 42mm of extra stopping power.

Any person that has gone from a good std BA setup to a good BF/PBR C6 option will reallise its chalk and cheese.

I get what your saying in essance though.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #19
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

If bigger brakes arnt any better why were they released?

Ford, tickford, fpv, hsv, Hdt all spend millions of dollars on research and development. They all offer bigger brake packages for the performance orientated car. So if bigger brakes are no better why would they be on offer?

Its all about leverage and heat dissapation
Try this- jack up your car and spin the wheel fast, then grab a spoke as close to the center and try stopping it. Your gonna hurt yourself trying to stop it fast
Now spin again and grap the outer most edge. Heaps easyier isnt it? Same idea with brakes

Around town in built up areas you wont notice the difference between sizes as you will be hard pressed using the full potential of your braking system. But take it out to some curvy mountain roads, country roads or a race track and you can easily push the limits of your braking system. Its then that you will notice the difference in different diameters.

We have a road near home with a 100kph speed limit but for 5km its so windy and the turns are so tight and close that you can never do the speed limit
My ba xr8 with 287mm brakes suffers brake fade in less than 1km
Ive driven a gt with 322mm in the same section and they lasted almost the whole 5km
Now both cars were fitted with dba slotted rotors, bendix srt pads and driven by the same person
The only difference was diameter and it showed

In conclusion lol i strongly believe when your pushing the limits of your brakes a larger diameter system is worth its weight in gold
XARATE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #20
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good choice. I did the same to my ute and now have RG's old brakes.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #21
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
better pedal feel comes from less caliper effort required to get the same braking force .
Sure, but pad choice makes a larger difference.
Quote:
if your logic about percentages were correct why do they go to greater expense making cars with bigger brakes ( needing bigger wheels etc) .
Natural progression and heavier cars. That's not what this particular situation is about though.
Quote:
the fact is everything adds to braking pads. calipers , hose type , and overall diameter
You're missing my point, I'm not disputing the fact that all else being equal a larger rotor will make some improvement.
My point is, that in this initial instance, where the OP had a certain set of circumstances which may have made the smaller rotors more attractive to him, the differences will be negligible and pad choice would have been far more important.
I stand by that.

It's all moot now anyhow, he has it sorted.
Old 23-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #22
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARATE
If bigger brakes arnt any better why were they released?

Ford, tickford, fpv, hsv, Hdt all spend millions of dollars on research and development. They all offer bigger brake packages for the performance orientated car. So if bigger brakes are no better why would they be on offer?

Its all about leverage and heat dissapation
Try this- jack up your car and spin the wheel fast, then grab a spoke as close to the center and try stopping it. Your gonna hurt yourself trying to stop it fast
Now spin again and grap the outer most edge. Heaps easyier isnt it? Same idea with brakes

Around town in built up areas you wont notice the difference between sizes as you will be hard pressed using the full potential of your braking system. But take it out to some curvy mountain roads, country roads or a race track and you can easily push the limits of your braking system. Its then that you will notice the difference in different diameters.

We have a road near home with a 100kph speed limit but for 5km its so windy and the turns are so tight and close that you can never do the speed limit
My ba xr8 with 287mm brakes suffers brake fade in less than 1km
Ive driven a gt with 322mm in the same section and they lasted almost the whole 5km
Now both cars were fitted with dba slotted rotors, bendix srt pads and driven by the same person
The only difference was diameter and it showed

In conclusion lol i strongly believe when your pushing the limits of your brakes a larger diameter system is worth its weight in gold
And when did the OP say he's pushing the limits of his brakes? He stated that he doesn't do track work.

You need to answer questions in the context they're asked.
Old 23-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #23
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
No Tickford 329mm no care.
THIS...!!

Great pick up mate..!

Make sure you get some pics up..

What pads are you going to use..? I need a new set for mine before they go on..

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #24
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Sox im not having ago at you i just think you have taken my post differently to how i ment it.
The OP asked for opinons. what i wrote was my opinion.
I also live in the same area as OP and drive the some of the same roads. So i thought my comment was relivent.
I said

"Around town in built up areas you wont notice the difference between sizes as you will be hard pressed using the full potential of your braking system. But take it out to some curvy mountain roads, country roads or a race track and you can easily push the limits of your braking system. Its then that you will notice the difference in different diameters."

Take from that what he wants depends on what he is looking for amd how he drives. I never said he was pushing the limits of his brakes, (you dont need to do track work to reach the limits of your brakes) i said it is when the limits of a braking system is pushed tht the difference in diameter is noticable. A simple truthful comment

My post was in context with the OP.
XARATE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #25
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARATE
Sox im not having ago at you i just think you have taken my post differently to how i ment it.
The OP asked for opinons. what i wrote was my opinion.
I also live in the same area as OP and drive the some of the same roads. So i thought my comment was relivent.
I said

"Around town in built up areas you wont notice the difference between sizes as you will be hard pressed using the full potential of your braking system. But take it out to some curvy mountain roads, country roads or a race track and you can easily push the limits of your braking system. Its then that you will notice the difference in different diameters."

Take from that what he wants depends on what he is looking for amd how he drives. I never said he was pushing the limits of his brakes, (you dont need to do track work to reach the limits of your brakes) i said it is when the limits of a braking system is pushed tht the difference in diameter is noticable. A simple truthful comment

My post was in context with the OP.
Well, you answered some basic questions regarding whether there are differences, but I don't believe you were directly answering the OP's question within his specific situation (with regards to how he was able to purchase).
It's just semantics now.

Anyway, all is good, we're on the same track (pun intended).
Old 23-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

Now that we've sorted our varying points of view, I'm actually doing a swap with a mate who is trading his ute in. so whatever pads are in there now will be what I use.
Old 23-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #27
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Good call.
Agreed.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #28
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool Re: 300mm brakes vs 322mm. Is the extra 22mm worth it?

OK ...

Austin i flog the pickhandles out of my N/A.. now dont be confused?

My rig runs 13's and i rip around springbrook most sat nights and the std brakes have served me well thanks to the brake lathe i can rely on for a $30 fix

The typhoon however doesn't stand up to such abuse without being stone ground and a fluid flush with the Brembo's to eliminate shudder ?!

I have happy laps this weekend at QR ....trust me .......the std XR rotors are fine if all other threads we have access too are paid attention to before flogging your car !

You all know what i am talking about ??
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #29
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Now that we've sorted our varying points of view, I'm actually doing a swap with a mate who is trading his ute in. so whatever pads are in there now will be what I use.
Bit of a bugger but we couldnt quite get them off his ute and the risk of damaging lines etc was too great, so they stayed on the ute that is getting traded. I think I will go back to the original plan of BF XR8 brakes.
Old 25-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #30
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Sounds good
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post