Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default Do you prefer savage bottom end torque or a big top end rush

What engine characteristics make for a more enjoyable drive, effortless bottom end torque and throttle response or a big rush in the top end?

We have traditionally had V8s and 6s in the past with strong bottom end torque but run out of steam up top. From about BA onwards we have seen our 6s and 8s really pick up their game in the top end (barra 6 and Boss) at the expense of low end torque.

The holdens with their ls series V8s behave pretty much the same as do their 6s.

Do we prefer an old school recipe of bottom end torque or the newer top end sizzle?

RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 
Default Re: Do you prefer savage bottom end torque or a big top end rush

Bottom End + Throttle Response
Old 12-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Horsepower makes a car quick, but torque makes it a pleasure to drive"...so goes the ancient logic.

Plus, with speed-camera-infested highways, crap conditions on the roads generally, and other problems, i'd rather have a pleasant torquey drive than something that has to be revved to the stratosphere to get any enjoyment out of it...

Coincidentally, there was a column in the latest Two Wheels motorcycle magazine about this very subject. It was about "the death of the sports bike", where we have the situation of 200hp+ superbikes, but nowhere to ride them...in fact, some of them are so extreme that even on a racetrack you can't get to anything like thier full potential, and find yourself being lapped by much less powerful bikes. On the road it's the same question...it's perfectly achieveable to exceed 120kph in first gear. What use is this on the roads? Examples were given of bikes that even the best rider would never get near the "sweet spot" in the power, even on the best racetracks in the world...so what hope do you have on the road?

Same with cars. The animated Tv series "Initial D" about drifters is pretty accurate in the real world...an "underpowered" AE86 can indeed whip the **** of a highly modified Skyline or RX7...all the horsepower in the world isn't going to help you if you are up against an opponent with a well-balanced, well setup, and adequately powered car who knows exactly what he's doing.

Outright power is nothing...oh it's impressive, but only in a theoretical way in the real world...chassis balance and sweet steering is far more important to me I'm afraid.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bottom end torque all the way for me.

Look at the majority of old school V8 builds on this or any other forum and see roller cams, highrise single plane manifolds, 4 into 1 extractors, low diff gears. Very rare to see an engine built for torque or designed to run standard gearing.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Give me revs. Probably too many years of driving Rotaries.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

For something that I would drive to the shops I'm all about low end torque much like we have now with the i6. It just makes it easy to potter around at the speed limit without fuss.

Though for a car I'd drive on the weekend or something quick, it's about top end rush. I have what I think to be the best of both worlds, fairly torquey down low which changes into epic torque once boost hits, all in the space of 400rpm.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Bottom end torque for me. You can tell by my choice of engine, a 3V for a daily and a 5.0L windsor for a toy.

Like 2011G6E said, it's very hard to use top end power with todays draconian speed limits and enforcement, right or wrong as they may be. Low speed thrills is where its at.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Having had both ends of the spectrum now.....low end torque monster 351 XE ESP and now a modified BFGT BOSS 290.......I think I'm looking for something in between.

The Bottom end stuff is OK but kinda gets a bit boring when it becomes asthmatic after 4500 RPM..........you find yourself looking for more revs and thrills and it just isn't there.

The TOP end stuff is exciting and thrilling and a pity you can't always exploit it for obvious road legal reasons. But once experienced , its addictive and its great to have the grunt there........highway cruising , freeway driving , effortless overtaking without feeling like the engine's going to valve bounce itself into oblivion.

Basically - I think I'm looking for what the new 5.0 supercharged GT is offering......best of both worlds !

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
ryanstev

I prefer low end power.

I drive a twin turbo Legacy, so can floor it and have full boost at 2400RPM.
I barely go over 4500RPM, but it's also fun to touch 7,000RPM occasionally.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

having both is good, but if i had to choose between the 2 it would be torque all the way, nothing worse than a car that needs high revs just to keep up with traffic or tow something.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I prefer bottom end torque..

Funny though that Ford (or any other company) will never please the motorist.

If it has a lot of low down torque that tapers off it is seen as asthmatic up top.

If it revs freely and picks up power later in the revs it is seen as doughy down low.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

torque..

think bf's onwards with the ZF box and all i6Ts since then have a good spread of low down torque and great rush when turbo comes onto full boost
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Having had both ends of the spectrum now.....low end torque monster 351 XE ESP and now a modified BFGT BOSS 290.......I think I'm looking for something in between.

The Bottom end stuff is OK but kinda gets a bit boring when it becomes asthmatic after 4500 RPM..........you find yourself looking for more revs and thrills and it just isn't there.

The TOP end stuff is exciting and thrilling and a pity you can't always exploit it for obvious road legal reasons. But once experienced , its addictive and its great to have the grunt there........highway cruising , freeway driving , effortless overtaking without feeling like the engine's going to valve bounce itself into oblivion.

Basically - I think I'm looking for what the new 5.0 supercharged GT is offering......best of both worlds !
Good post. I am sure you nearest FPV dealer will be happy to oblige and you're quite right, with this new engine you can have you cake and eat it too. All the grunty bottom end torque of the F6 and an even harder hitting top end. Unfortunatly as the saying goes nothing in life is free, and you'll find out about that at the petrol bowser

I understand the Op's perspective but seriously many of the turbo engines, e.g. the F6 on offer now have such a wide spread of torque as well as a great top end rush I'd argue there's no need to choose between bottom end torque or top end rush. Diesel engines have their own unique charms but sadly gushing top end power is not really amoung them.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #14
munners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
Diesel engines have their own unique charms but sadly gushing top end power is not really amoung them.
Exactly. I recently drove a new Audi diesel with a "sports mode" on the auto that made it hold gears longer. I'm sure all it did was make the car noiser and slower!

Munners
munners is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For thouse who want to experience thrils of high revs I suggest to try out the older (original) Integra Type R or the S2000 if you have a bit more cash, both easily exceed 8000rpm with the S2000 approaching 9000rpm. You can also enjoy that at legal speed limits since these cars have very short gearing and don't produce loads of power.

For thouse who want loads of power at high revs (aided with some turbo boost) a properly modified R34 GTR will easily go over 9000RPM and deliver enough power to make baby jesus cry ... mind you it will not hit boost untill about 4500 - 5000 rpm ...

P.S. as for FPV V8s that only just rev past 6000rpm, thats considered to be more like higher part of a mid range than high revs LOL
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bottom end torque for me as that is were you do most of your driving.

The first Holden VT & VX 5.7L gen III were as gutless as until you hit 4000RPM junk but the VY 5.7 was a lot better down low.
The ecotec 3.8L was a good engine but the 3.6L aloytec is just rubbish.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #17
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

both, and that's exactly what I thought Ford's EcoBoost V6 has in spades.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #18
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Low end for me. Love the torque in my diesel. If i need to go fast, keep it in boost at bout 2000rpm and not rev over 3100rpm. You go through the gears real fast.

I do love high revs though, mainly for the sound and drive, not power. Not in a diesel of course..

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #19
V8XTasy

I like the low end torque of the 3v V8 below 3000rpm. Don't really want to rev higher than that for day to day driving.
V8XTasy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #20
RAPID_BA
Banned

People can't say that when they stepped out of their efi windsor or efi holden V8 and into a boss V8 or LS1 for the first time they weren't red faced and knocked senceless by the top end power these engines made (in comparison). You were embarrassed thinking your efi windsor or efi holden V8 was a performance car.

Yet grandpa would drive them (boss V8 or ls1) and wouldn't know what all the fuss was about, swearing the old V8 was better.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #21
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing beats low end torque, but in saying that I do like the 260/290 boss with little low end torque but once the rev's rise it give you a nice rush.
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #22
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

I go for personality, eye's and then a nice pair of shoulders.

That complete package gives me a top end rush!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #23
RAPID_BA
Banned

I have an old magazine with boss 260 advertised "the boss" saying it has massive low end torque. Hmmmm not sure about that. Also all the claims that xr6t ba has 450nm from 1900rpm just isn't true.

Both the boss and xr6t feel a little short down low but explode into horsepower up top.

By comparison the older efi 8s can sound like they have big horsepower and feel like a big motor is under the hood when plotting around but then they don't rev. Its really like someone turns the shower off all of a sudden when they hit past 4500rpm
Old 12-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #24
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chunky midrange with top end rush for me. All low down is boring when it runs out of puff and all top end is annoying having to always have the revs up in day to day driving
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #25
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
I have an old magazine with boss 260 advertised "the boss" saying it has massive low end torque. Hmmmm not sure about that. Also all the claims that xr6t ba has 450nm from 1900rpm just isn't true.

Both the boss and xr6t feel a little short down low but explode into horsepower up top.

By comparison the older efi 8s can sound like they have big horsepower and feel like a big motor is under the hood when plotting around but then they don't rev. Its really like someone turns the shower off all of a sudden when they hit past 4500rpm
Could that just be the ECU tuning cutting the torque in low gears?

Personally i get a bit tired of keeping it under a quarter throttle, at least with an auto, so i think i'll go with top end rush.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #26
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

High revving engines sound better, so high revs have my vote, but if I could have both, i'd take them.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

While i really like the 4.0 I-6 in my FG, I wouldn't be broken up if Ford went
to the US 3.7 V6, I think that engines is superior to the Holden SIDI 3.6.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #28
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Both of them.3000rpm stall,850+nm and 3.7s makes for nice torque spread.Makes trction an option not a given.The 345rwkw does the rest after that.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #29
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bottom end torque all the way! It comes in more handy in every day life - not like you'd be hitting 4000 RPM in city traffic. I can appreciate where the top end power is better, but I do like just being able to touch the accelerator and go, rather than dig my foot in. I prefer just to putter around under 1800 RPM, makes for more relaxed (and economical) driving.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #30
Perko
Loving The Blown Goodness

Good torque and midrange. Hence why Herrod cams are being booked in at the end of the year.

Previous 2003 BA XR8 Ute Phantom
Ford Forum Build Thread

The Project 1991 EB XR8 Sedan Monza Red
Project Build Thread
Perko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post