Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
robbyj
Rob

Default boost help

Probably better suited in the boosted section, but ill try here.

im thinking of a set up for an AU XR8 (still saving =p)
regarding supercharging.

What i want to do is have a shaker sitting on top of a twin screw style supercharger (probably a whipple) to a front mount intercooler.

or use the shaker to feed a top mount intercooler, then might go a centrifugal supercharger such as the raptor.

or or or..

what are your thoughts, what would be the most effective set up in terms of performance and ease of installation.

could i go a shaker, top mount intercooler and twin screw charger all on top?

robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: boost help

i think you might have your setup a bit backwards...

you need the intercooler between the supercharger and the engine. if you are using a twin screw type charger mounted in the valley you need the intercooler to sit between it and the heads.

a centrifugal one will work with either a top mount or front mount, you just put the intercooler between the outlet on the charger and the throttle body. the only disadvantage of a front mount is the length of piping, but you generally get a bigger core.

the best option would be water to air. these are generally compact as they are a sealed intercooler unit with water lines running to a heat exchanger that is about the same size as your air conditioner condensor. this is the only option you will have with a valley mounted intercooler/charger setup. this is what they run on the intercooled fpv's.

there's no reason a shaker wouldn't work though, the only issue i can see is probably the height from the charger to the bonnet.
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuleh
Probably better suited in the boosted section, but ill try here.

im thinking of a set up for an AU XR8 (still saving =p)
regarding supercharging.

What i want to do is have a shaker sitting on top of a twin screw style supercharger (probably a whipple) to a front mount intercooler.

or use the shaker to feed a top mount intercooler, then might go a centrifugal supercharger such as the raptor.

or or or..

what are your thoughts, what would be the most effective set up in terms of performance and ease of installation.

could i go a shaker, top mount intercooler and twin screw charger all on top?
Personally, I would forget the shaker idea if you want it functional. The lack of bonnet room alone would be a nightmare to get around. Pipe work would be a night mare if you are looking at decent power.

Performance wise, a Kenne Bell, twin screw unit will provide the most effective performance from idle and you can do this without an intercooler if low boost is maintained. Ease of installation would be your major concern if you dont know what your doing. But if you do, you could have it fitted etc and flash tuned within a day I would imagine assuming you got everything fitted in kit form. A lot longer if you bought everything separately.

Power wise you would get excellent power and torque from idle to redline. Loss of traction would be ample and the whine from the twin screw would be addictive. Intercooling this option would be very limited but is possible. But this aint cheap by any means either.

For ease of installation, the Raptor is an easier option, power delivery is similar to a low boost turbo application (from about 2000rpm on) except full boost only happens at higher revs instead of all at once. More linear in other words. But max power for these units un-intercooled I have heard of up to 270rwkw on some Windsor powered AU's dependent on what other work you have done. Certainly no slouch, but it depends on where in the rev range you want your power to be delivered.

Installation time can vary from 5 hours to 2 days dependent on how handy you are with a spanner. But its relatively simple and the engine wont need to be opened. Intercooling can be done via a water to air method as bodes-sh said and still be all under bonnet and no cutting to inner guards etc much like mine if your power expectation is realistic. I have seen people also do an a2a setup cheaper than w2a but there is a bit more cutting and shutting involved and as has been said, the cooler core will need to be larger.

Either twin screw or centrifugal will work, just depends on what you value more in terms of fitment and power delivery.

Hope that helps.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
robbyj
Rob

Alright thanks guys,
stav you say "you can do this without an intercooler if low boost is maintained."
how does one up the boost on the twin screw s/c's?

Id prefer to run an intercooler,
With the kenne bell units, whats best suited for our falcons?
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 12:46 AM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Rob to up the boost, you change the pulley size on the s/c same as a centrifugal setup.

I'm not sure what options there are for a kenne bell. I would consider speaking with the boys at blue power for their expertise if there options.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont