Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
T3man
Banned

Default Taxis @ Wakefield Park

Ride and I took the taxis for an outing on Saturday .. sorry, it's taken a while to get them uploaded to photobucket but here's a few laps of video.

T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

looks bloody good... nice work...

love the overtaking bit with the B-series XR8
Old 24-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

looks like you had fun
the first video, is that you?
odd steering wheel action - looks like you 'pull' the wheel down rather than 'pushing' it over, if you know what i mean

i steer like the dude in the TS, always hangin off the top of the wheel
feels good man
Old 24-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the ride T3man - taxis looked and sound awesome, looks like you guys had a great day out playing with da T's.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
T3man
Banned

Fun fun fun ... sure was!

I do drive at the bottom of the wheel ... right hand between 3 and 4 o'clock and left between 8 and 9. Bit unconventional but it works for me. I first started to drive that way (when pushinbg hard) back in the 70s when power steering was very over assisted and found I had better control and feedback ... and I grip with just two fingers. If my hands ever do go over the top of the wheel it's because I have far more opposite lock than I was planning!!! LOL.

The guy in the B Series was on his Ls I think - he did the same thing to me again in another session. He was black flagged once and had the riot act laid down to him so I was told by someone else who he almost took out. Later in the day he came good to his credit. There's a short video of him in the Falcons > Contemporary section.

On the day I was affectionately calling him the HULK.
Old 24-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I was gonna ask are you over 45
because the only people I know who drive with odd wheel actions like that are over 45
not baggin', just sayin'.

yeah the fella in the bottom video is younger yeah? I drive just like him - same wheel actions, power down at the same time etc.
Old 24-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
T3man
Banned

Yeah, Ride is just a young'n. My ol' body is nudging the "senior" category - still a teenager in the head!

In normal driving your hands should not be above mid wheel ie. 3 and 9; (this is specially important today with cars that have driver's air bag) except when parking; or in an emergency steering control like controlling a slide.
Old 24-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
In normal driving your hands should not be above mid wheel ie. 3 and 9; (this is specially important today with cars that have driver's air bag) except when parking; or in an emergency steering control like controlling a slide.
When I was doing my driving test 7 years ago it was instant fail if your not holding it at 10 & 2....

Not that I really adhere to this rule now but I do remember being told this.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
T3man
Banned

That may have been told to you 7 years ago but it was wrong then and still is now. In the "real old days" when I was instructing we always taught 10/2 or 9/3. Nowadays it is definitely NEVER above the wheel centre on cars with air bags.
Old 24-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
earlybird

Its funny which way you get taught how to hang on,i did a Peter Brock driving course about 20 years ago and he taught 10 & 2 then,but things do change,i wonder which position he would teach now if still alive.
earlybird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post