Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
L42B

Default Front End Noise

Hey Guys,

Ever since I have had this Focus its been a nightmare no end. Although I will acknowledge that not everyone has problems with Focus's. Lately a front end noise has become very noisy over any section of noise at random points. It sounds like a CV joint click but then the breaks start to feel weak afterwards and clunk when they are being released. It seems to happen when the left wheal is under load from the rest of the vehicle, i.e. around corners and over railway crossings. It isn't related to vehicle speed, but more often then not happens on windy roads. Any advise as to what the problem could be?

The dealership in Adelaide seems unwilling to acknowledge or find this problem. Even though other people have noticed the problem. The local RAA mechanic has also acknowledged that it needs to be looked at and has advised not to drive the vehicle at high, highway speeds.

This is problem number seven in the last year, and it is starting to become extremely frustrating experience. The Ford mechanic is also sick of the car, yet Ford is not willing to replace the vehicle. It also has multiple interior fitting issues and the rear right door is not aligned properly. The interior door plastics are loose and aren't fitted correctly as with some of the A pillar linings.

Any advise as to what I should do. I have contacted the original dealer and got no where with the office of fair traiding.

The car only has 42 000km.

Yours truly, L42B

L42B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds a bit like front hub bearings. If you can wobble the wheel up and down get that checked out .If it gets bad it can allow the disc rotor to wobble makes the pedal travel longer as it pushes the pads back too far. If you are really lucky may just be loose front drive shaft lock nuts.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
L42B

So put the left side of the car on a jack and wobble it up and down as apposed to the cv joint check. That does sound right, I'll see what I can do tomorrow. How much movement if any is considered normal.

Cheers L42B
Old 28-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
L42B

After doing the rock test, there is some considerable movement on the left front wheel, including there is a clicking noise. (Note: that wasn't on the jack). I guess the next stage is to jack the vehicle up and see what happens. How much movement is expected, because surely there would be some naturally flexibility in the front end system?

Cheers L42B
Old 28-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does not sound good if you can feel movement when its not jacked up.
Should not really move at all if you get top and bottom of wheel and push/pull. Doing side ways push pull you get movement from the steering
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Please don't take offence at this, but have you checked the wheel nuts are tight? It is often the simplest of things that get missed
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
L42B

No offence taken. It was the first thing I checked. I also agree that it's easy to miss.

Cheers L42B
Old 19-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you find your problem? I think I have the same issue, though I am no mechanic. The problem with me is I changed my brake pads three weeks ago and it hasnt been an issue till a week ago. So I doubled check my brake pad install and all seem rite and secure. So it must be an issue you are having too.. For me, it sounds like from the LHS, but at the same time it sounds like coming from the front somewhere/engine during driving. If you stand outside the car, it does sound from the LHS though. Single click when you press the brakes hard down the hill(none going up a hill) and slight click when you release.

Imaz

2009 FG Falcon XR6 Sedan, Octane.
2012 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Mineral Grey.
imaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post