Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 25-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
robbyj
Rob

Default Hmm how to title this?

I am planning on cutting out a section of the front of the air box under the panel filter.. however after thinking about it.. Will this cause some of the air that comes in through the snorkel to escape?

Can anyone shed some light on this.

Old 26-10-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

No, I put a hole in the bottom of the air box directly through the body into the open space below. noticeably more responsive and revs a little cleaner at the top of the tach.
Old 26-10-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Deffinately a good free mod. Just keep below the line of the filter.
Old 26-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

I have an AU V8 airbox and tickford snorkel with this mod already done if you aren't keen on doing it to your stock one. I'll sell it for the right price.......
Old 26-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
robbyj
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGAU3220
No, I put a hole in the bottom of the air box directly through the body into the open space below. noticeably more responsive and revs a little cleaner at the top of the tach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Deffinately a good free mod. Just keep below the line of the filter.
Thanks guys, wasnt sure if it would actually be better or worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I have an AU V8 airbox and tickford snorkel with this mod already done if you aren't keen on doing it to your stock one. I'll sell it for the right price.......
Thanks for the offer but ill prob just cut mine.
Old 27-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
4ford

Be careful guys....
Cutting thru the bodywork below the air filter box may get you another air source for your filter, but...

If you happen to drive into anything more than a couple of inches (cms) of water, the water displaced forward by the front wheel will be partially inducted into your air intake, and onward into the engine, and if that gets to higher quantities (and it will do quite suddenly!), you could possibly intake enough water to cause a hydraulic lock within your cylinder(s), instantly bending/breaking conrods and displacing the cylinder head, not just blowing the gasket, but displacing the cylinder head....bad, bad stuff!

Be very careful not to have any possibility of substantial water being able to be directed into the intake air filter, things will happen very fast!
Old 27-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

When I did this mod to my EB XR8, I fitted plastic flexi pipe through the hole and bended down in front of the wheel and facing forward with cable ties. The had a 'ram effect' of air forcing itself through to the air box. I sealed the pipe in the air box with silicone sealant which ensured a good seal and was secure.

Another option is to use PVC piping and add another air filter to the exposed end of the pipe to ensure air going in super clean.

In the time I had this mod done to that car, never once did I have issues with water leaking in. Thats not to say it could never happen, just be aware of puddles on the road and avoid having to drive through flooded roads.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
The Monty
Just slidin'

I hit them at full speed Shav. BIG puddles. Only thing that happens is it runs on 5 cylinders for a few hours after, lol.
Old 27-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
I hit them at full speed Shav. BIG puddles. Only thing that happens is it runs on 5 cylinders for a few hours after, lol.
Not everyone drive like you do mate. hahaha

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
The Monty
Just slidin'

I also take it out on the sand, and onto hardcore dirt tracks. I like it at stock height. It makes it fun. Until you get bogged.
Old 27-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Clearly Josh is the fulliest-sickest bro this side of the tracks, ey bro!
Old 27-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
I like it at stock height. It makes it fun.
Hear hear
i've never understood why someone buys something as tough as a falcon and then takes away its gutter-hopping abilities by lowering it.
Old 27-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Hear hear
i've never understood why someone buys something as tough as a falcon and then takes away its gutter-hopping abilities by lowering it.
Make it handle better, instead of fealling like a boat it sits level thru corners. Some also do it purely for looks.
Old 27-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yeah, i suppose some people use their AU's as racecars but mine's a traffic basher.
Old 27-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #15
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuleh
I am planning on cutting out a section of the front of the air box under the panel filter.. however after thinking about it.. Will this cause some of the air that comes in through the snorkel to escape?

Can anyone shed some light on this.
Waste of time IMO.
The inlet of the air box is huge, and it is ducted to outside (cooler) air.
Making another hole won't achieve anything except to allow some hot engine bay air to enter the air box, which could potentially reduce power.

The only way you might increase power, and that's doubtful anyway, is to then duct the new hole to outside air.
Old 27-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #16
T3man
Banned

Absolutely correct. I'm always quietly amused by people who can "notice an immediate improvement" by corrupting the standard air intake system. I s'pose whatever makes 'em feel good.
Old 27-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
robbyj
Rob

I think ill actually pass on this now as there is no plastic inner guard on that side, who knows what could end up in the box.
Old 27-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #18
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Absolutely correct. I'm always quietly amused by people who can "notice an immediate improvement" by corrupting the standard air intake system. I s'pose whatever makes 'em feel good.
So then why do so many people do it?
Sure it might not be the 100kw gain that some say, but its free and it does make a difference, however minor its a positive.
Why are the tickford snorkels bigger? Why do F6's have (essentially) a hole in the bottom of the airbox?
Old 27-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #19
robbyj
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
Sure it might not be the 100kw gain that some say, but its free and it does make a difference, however minor its a positive.
Why are the tickford snorkels bigger? Why do F6's have (essentially) a hole in the bottom of the airbox?
In theory it may or may not work
In theory the electric superchargers off eBay should work too hahaha
Old 27-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #20
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Good question ... I have one for you ...

Why are all those sheep following that one?

OK OK that was just silly ... now let's get a little serious. Give you a game of ... um ... how about Lemmings?
Old 27-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #21
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Um ... actually you score two outa three. No one has ever been able to demonstrate any benefit whatsoever from the modification mentioned.

This urban myth started way back in the mid 70s when the ADRs started robbing engines of the power the owners previously enjoyed. People did all sorts of wonderful power making things like disconnecting all the vacuum lines they could find, blocking up the EGR passages, turning air cleaner lids upside down. All it ever achieved was a noisier, hotter, and less powerful engine; but hey, the induction roar sounded louder so it had to be making more power right?

Quote:
I would expect Tickford snorkels to be bigger because they have different cam timing, different heads, larger throttle bodies, larger MAFs. It's all a matter of balancing the intake to suit the pumping ability of the engine. Simply opening up the intake alone does not produce more power - in fact it can quite often have an opposite effect by reducing torque especilly at lower RPM.

What's this hole you speak of in the bottom of an F6 airbox? I'm not familiar with the F6 intake system but I'll wager that there is no hole in the air box that is simply open to the engine bay. If there is I reckon I could get a job as an engineer at Geelong because I could do a damn lot better than that!
Old 27-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #22
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Waste of time IMO.
The inlet of the air box is huge, and it is ducted to outside (cooler) air.
Making another hole won't achieve anything except to allow some hot engine bay air to enter the air box, which could potentially reduce power.

The only way you might increase power, and that's doubtful anyway, is to then duct the new hole to outside air.
Totally agree Sox, Thats why i went through the bottom of the box and body, no need for ducting as there is a nice little open space far away from engine bay heat and big puddles.
Old 27-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #23
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

I retro-fit a b-series lower snorkal into the bottom of my airbox, which happens to sit directly behind the headlight, which is also exactly the same spot where the lower snorkal sits in the ba/bf XR8's as standard. Now if ford did this as standard in the b-series intakes why would it be a waste of time doing it to a dated intake system?? hmmm...
Old 28-10-2010, 12:37 AM   #24
T3man
Banned

WOW ... you obviously now make the same power as a B Series XR8 eh.

It's not a waste of time doing it to a dated intake system ... as long as you put the B-Series XR8 heads, quad cams, 80mm throttle bodies, 90mm MAF blah blah blah.

Whatever floats your boat.
Old 28-10-2010, 01:23 AM   #25
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
WOW ... you obviously now make the same power as a B Series XR8 eh.

It's not a waste of time doing it to a dated intake system ... as long as you put the B-Series XR8 heads, quad cams, 80mm throttle bodies, 90mm MAF blah blah blah.

Whatever floats your boat.
Talk about blah blah blah......certainly a lot coming from your key board.

Do us all a favour and disappear back to your private room and take you overly oppressive dribble with you............Please
Old 28-10-2010, 01:39 AM   #26
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

Tell me where in my post i said doing it will put it on par with a ba?

Ill make it a bit easier for you to understand... No-ones proved it to be a powerhouse mod, yet no-ones disproved it either. Until then people should disregard nay-sayers like yourself and do the mod if they want...
Old 28-10-2010, 01:59 AM   #27
HLC
Audi S3

FFS this is absolutely ridiculous.

Arguing about a hole in the air box.

Plenty of threads on the topic And clearly here are the facts.

It makes the induction noise louder.

You may or may not incur a power increase of 0.stuffall of a kilowatt

You will not kill your engine unless you drive your car through a river that needs to be at least 1 metre deep.

Any other questions, use the search function, we are done here.
Old 28-10-2010, 02:00 AM   #28
HLC
Audi S3

And let me throw this out there, why did the T3 use a pod filter system which carried over to BA/BA2 then have it replaced by a standard airbox again??

Food for thought?