Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
dylancox

Default 100/110 over long distances = carnage

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225942519323

I do a fair bit of long distance driving myself and I've always thought 100/110 for hours on end, on our substandard interstate highways is deadly boredom and a disaster waiting to happen. Can we do anything about this? Considering the other 2 incidents that happened just hours earlier were not hoon-related at all, our authorities seriously need to be sacked if "..police would be out in force next weekend cracking down on motorists flouting the law..." is the solution.

Old 24-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

As an ex interstate driver I have seen some shockers over the years.
A lot of the general public will work all day and then try and attempt to drive Adelaide to Melbourne or wherever after they finish work, they are already tired from their day at work and they are inexperienced in driving long distances.

Judging closing distances is A LOT harder at night, some people with their overloaded under powered 4 cylinder cars don't realise how long it takes to get past a B double doing 95kph.

Dual carriageway roads with Armco or wire barriers will go a long way to help avoid situations like the one at Beaufort, but our vast highway network means that it would be economically unviable to duplicate every major highway.
Old 24-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
jason71
google is my friend

Unfortunately you don't have to be doing long distance to veer onto wrong side of the road.

I often follow people on the Northern Rd between Penrith and Narellan veering all over the place. They are often the ones doing 10k under the limit thinking they are "safe" drivers.
Old 24-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
What a nasty accident, the worst FG G6E crash i've ever seen.
Old 24-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
2.8L Hilux
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
our authorities seriously need to be sacked if "..police would be out in force next weekend cracking down on motorists flouting the law..." is the solution.
You are dead right mate.
Old 24-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

we all agree 110 is too slow... try running for politics to debate the fact or give up beating the dead horse.

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
Old 24-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

If you're going to be driving a long distance, like 500-600klm or more in a day or night, then you need to make sure you are adequately rested beforehand. End of story.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 24-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
barra265t
Banned

What if the bloke was overtaking at the time, but doing 'the right thing' by sticking to the speed limit while overtaking. Poor bloke trying to obey the law but costing him his life and two others?
Old 24-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

used to do the 1000km trip regular between Mt Isa and Townsville no worries,just got to watch the triple road trains and skippies lol.
Old 24-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDZ
we all agree 110 is too slow... try running for politics to debate the fact or give up beating the dead horse.
It would be fixed in a big hurry if politicians and public vegetables were banned from flying anywhere.
Old 24-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Ive just come back from Bywong (10km out of Canberra), drove there and back in about 7 hours round trip, about 543kms, since im a P1 im pretty speed restricted so my average speed was 95 (yep, im a hoon). I dont know how but it wasent overly boring, thinking the constant rain may have played a part..kept it a little interesting.
I firmly believe sleep is critical for operating at your best for longer.
As for 110 being to slow..well by the looks of the many incompetent drivers ive encountered today, it will still be utter carnage out there until people are educated.......

Subaru Outback '02
Old 24-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #12
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Ive just come back from Bywong (10km out of Canberra), drove there and back in about 7 hours round trip, about 543kms, since im a P1 im pretty speed restricted so my average speed was 95 (yep, im a hoon). I dont know how but it wasent overly boring, thinking the constant rain may have played a part..kept it a little interesting.
I firmly believe sleep is critical for operating at your best for longer.
As for 110 being to slow..well by the looks of the many incompetent drivers ive encountered today, it will still be utter carnage out there until people are educated.......
What sort of car were you driving? I actually realised recently that driving a small rental 4 cylinder car can be quite entertaining at 90 km/h. The excessive road noise, engine noise and bumps make you feel like you're doing 130+ in a larger car, even though you're only doing 90km/h and everyone is passing you
Old 24-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #13
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
What sort of car were you driving? I actually realised recently that driving a small rental 4 cylinder car can be quite entertaining at 90 km/h. The excessive road noise, engine noise and bumps make you feel like you're doing 130+ in a larger car, even though you're only doing 90km/h and everyone is passing you
I was driving the AU. My god that car is made for the open road!
Definatly agree with smaller cars, they're quite crazy at speed, specially on tight mountain roads. Scary stuff.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 24-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #14
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tragic. Not too much further the western opens out into dual carriageway.
Old 24-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #15
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Love the quotes at the end, the Police will be out in force to get people breaking the law.
So just note, that if you get too tired and veer into a truck killing everyone in the car you'll be getting a fine in the mail!!
As much as I think more Police on the road is a better alternative, they aren't going to be able to pick up fatigue that effectively, more driver reviver incentives would be better.

A road down here that has seen many, mostly fatigue related fatalaties is dropping from 100km/h to 90km/h because of recent deaths. The most recent of which occured in a road works when a truck veered onto the wrong side of the road. Dropping the speed limit 10km isn't going to help, its just going to make people more fatigued!
Old 24-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
As much as I think more Police on the road is a better alternative, they aren't going to be able to pick up fatigue that effectively, more driver reviver incentives would be better.
Well I assume the government doesn't as they don't give any money for driver reviver. Its all volunteer and private donations....I guess you cant fine people when doing something that will help them on long trips.
Old 24-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #17
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

whilst you have a decent proportion of the population driving cielos and tiidas there ain't gonna be a shift in the limit.
Old 25-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #18
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

wow... just wow.

some people can do 1000k's in a day, I can do it easy, in fact ive done Brisbane to melb in a day more times than i care to count, and on most of my trips avg around 1000k's a day, others like my father are flat out getting from Brisbane to rocky... you just have to know your personal limits and drive accordingly.

RIP to those involved and condolences to the family/s... tragic end to a road trip.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 25-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #19
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no problem with greater than 110km speed limits, but not on that road above. Single lane either way, 100kmh is fast enough.

Dual carriage way with a buffer in the middle, 140 on the outer lane, 110 on the inner
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 25-10-2010, 01:45 AM   #20
yanknbank
Very regular

Quote:
It would be fixed in a big hurry if politicians and public vegetables were banned from flying anywhere
It'd be fixed even quicker if the pollies got the message that enough people out there were ****ed off big time and were going to park their vote elsewhere. The voting public has the power to change any government policy it likes....
Old 25-10-2010, 02:38 AM   #21
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it looks like the beufort accident was fatigue related, its just not worth driving when your dog tired, but a rest and a java, even a 15/30 min kip can make all the difference, not haveing a huge meal before you leave,( if i remember correctly it takes the blood away from your brain makes you sleepy) but nibbles while you are driving is the go.
Old 25-10-2010, 02:44 AM   #22
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknbank
It'd be fixed even quicker if the pollies got the message that enough people out there were ****ed off big time and were going to park their vote elsewhere. The voting public has the power to change any government policy it likes....
Given most dont agree with higher limits, that wont happen either. \/ \/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
whilst you have a decent proportion of the population driving cielos and tiidas there ain't gonna be a shift in the limit.
Old 25-10-2010, 03:04 AM   #23
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
wow... just wow.

some people can do 1000k's in a day, I can do it easy, in fact ive done Brisbane to melb in a day more times than i care to count, and on most of my trips avg around 1000k's a day, others like my father are flat out getting from Brisbane to rocky... you just have to know your personal limits and drive accordingly.

RIP to those involved and condolences to the family/s... tragic end to a road trip.
Wow.. i thought Brisbane to Melbourne is around 1800km and you did that in a day? Took the backroads? or else you would have taken about 22 hours or something crazy like that
Old 25-10-2010, 03:06 AM   #24
Skotty
Banned

It's rather funny actually, When I first got my P's, I was driving from Adelaide to Mount Gambier every weekend (~470km one way from my front door to my mothers)... Would leave as soon as I got home from work and showered... Done that every weekend for almost 2 years (wowa the kms I put on the car and fuel bill!) yet I never suffered faituge.. and also NEVER have I ONCE seen a driver reviver setup on the way either... (apart from my smokes, and redbull haha!)
Old 25-10-2010, 03:10 AM   #25
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotty
It's rather funny actually, When I first got my P's, I was driving from Adelaide to Mount Gambier every weekend (~470km one way from my front door to my mothers)... Would leave as soon as I got home from work and showered... Done that every weekend for almost 2 years (wowa the kms I put on the car and fuel bill!) yet I never suffered faituge.. and also NEVER have I ONCE seen a driver reviver setup on the way either... (apart from my smokes, and redbull haha!)
Did you do those distances tottering along at the speed limit? I've done much greater distances in my younger years.. backroads were my best friend but speed limits/major highways not. Fatigue was never a problem, enough said
Old 25-10-2010, 03:17 AM   #26
Skotty
Banned

Quote:
Did you do those distances tottering along at the speed limit? I've done much greater distances in my younger years.. backroads were my best friend but speed limits/major highways not. Fatigue was never a problem, enough said
Bahaha, chose not to answer that on the grounds on self incrimination! My sisters would do the same and get exhuasted, but then again at the time I has a 1995 Mitsubishi KS Verada Xi, so a fairly comfy car with cruise control so I wasn't really having to watch the speed all the time and back it off...

(But yes my dad would get the frequent call saying I was just past the toll gate and I would be at his place just over 3 hours later haha!)
Old 25-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #27
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
If you're going to be driving a long distance, like 500-600klm or more in a day or night, then you need to make sure you are adequately rested beforehand. End of story.
You can be. But if you're get bored behind the wheel, you can still come to grief.
Old 25-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #28
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm amazing how some call for raised speed limits, yet some dont care much for fatigue management....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 25-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #29
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Yes but time is a greater factor than distance.

600km @ 100km/h = 6 hours where 600km/h @ 150km/h = 4 hours.

I remember last trip up to Darwin.
Day 1 10 hrs, 1000km. (Hervey Bay to Longreach)
Day 2 9 hrs, 900km. (Longreach to Mt ISA)
Day 3 7 hrs, 1300km (Mt Isa to Mataranka)

Longer distance, MUCH less fatigue.

Not all roads or traffic conditions are the same.

High speed limits on almost existing any road on the east coast would be "interesting" to the point of almost chaotic as there are too many cars and FAR too many inexperienced drivers. Unfortunately cites hold very large numbers of drivers who have been licenses for many many years but have still not driven 100,000 km of a distance of more than a couple of hundred kilometres in a single run. There is a reason why there is a "black spot" about 3 hours in every direction from every capital city (except Hobart where 3 hours will just get you very wet ).
Old 25-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #30
bingoTE50
Steve

No Doubt modern vehicles are designed to travel quicker than 100 km/h on the open road . If I could drive a VH Valiant at speed safely, in 1981 ,surely on todays freeways in a GT, 120 km/hr would not be out of the question .
The only issue I have with raising speed limits is that in QLD not all cars are created equal,with no yearly inspections there are some s%%T boxes on the roads.
As far as driving long distances go ,a rest for five minutes every two hours does work .
I would like to see some study on heart rates/stress levels on average joes in situations like overtaking b dubs etc in a simulator . I have no doubt fitness levels come in to play on distance related driving with elevated stress levels like holiday traffic and or poor weather.
Closed Thread