Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Default AAMI Skilled Drivers Course

Gday All,

I've just switched my car insurance over to AAMI (and saved heaps from the previous mob) and as Im under 25, I can do a free skilled drivers course.

Has anyone done this, or know everything involved? It goes from 9am-4pm so Im assuming there is a fair bit involved!

-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mate did it, apparently there is a bit of theory involved, then you go out in a few groups, and they test your braking ability under speed and demo how wiping off speed effects stopping ability.

Also handling corners and various things
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Eb5litre

Do it! You're not going to be driving around a racetrack, but with all the braking exercises you will learn the basics to avoiding accidents and other incidents. You'll be surprised how much you didn't know about your car and your ability to control the vehicle. If you dont use your vehicle they have their own.
Its more defensive driving rather than performance driving. You can always do a performance driving course later, once you have covered the basics.
Eb5litre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that every driver should do some sort of course like this. Bonus if its free.

Funny thing is many people are willing to go to some sort of sports tutor to help improve their golf swing or something like that, but they wont do anything to help improve their driving, which is something that has a greater impact on your life.

Go for it, you have nothing to loose. It might even save your life
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
casabonka
You can call me Chris

thanks guys.
all booked in for mid oct. looking forwards to it.
like every young bloke I think I'm a good driver, but can't hurt to learn more!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 22-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome Casa. I have a 15yo who is keen as. I want her to do this and other courses, money permitting. My 13yo lad is also keen as.

I reckon they are a great idea. The one's I'm thinking of in Sydney are run by Ian Luff.
Old 22-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabonka
thanks guys.
all booked in for mid oct. looking forwards to it.
like every young bloke I think I'm a good driver, but can't hurt to learn more!
You will have your ego smashed. lol.

Also, once you've done that course, go try some MC driver days, we have a skidpan/ long track down near Perth Airport that does regular MC days, a lot of fun, and you learn a fair bit. Good value! I would presume there's plenty of places in the Eastern States that do the same thing.
Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did it for the 10% discount when I got my new car. It's all low speed stuff (under 40kp/h) but was a bit of an eye opener to some things.

Free and worth the day even just for the social aspect.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Aussie
You will have your ego smashed. lol.

Also, once you've done that course, go try some MC driver days, we have a skidpan/ long track down near Perth Airport that does regular MC days, a lot of fun, and you learn a fair bit. Good value! I would presume there's plenty of places in the Eastern States that do the same thing.
Sorry to sound stupid, but whats a MC day?
haha, and ego getting smashed, prob the best way to keep the road toll down yeah?
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 22-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Definitely. Too many kids out there are far too full of themselves. Everyone needs a professional driver to tell them their rubbish at a young age, would drastically cut the deaths out there.

To be honest, I don't know why they call it an MC day, as MotorKhana should be MK, and MotorCross involves dirt bikes... I've done around a dozen of the RAC/AHG MC skidpan days, and I still don't know what MC stands for. But its essentially motorsport days, where they give you a bit of a driver brief, sit in for a few laps with you if you haven't done it before, and then let you hone your skills by running tarmac rally stages laid out with cones.

The other extremely valuable asset to becoming a good driver is one that too many Aussies seem to have missed out on these days - growing up on a farm. I learned to drive when I was like 8 or 9, not enough people have that luxury these days.
Old 22-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by leakey
Awesome Casa. I have a 15yo who is keen as. I want her to do this and other courses, money permitting. My 13yo lad is also keen as.
Get them into motorkhana's. Their old enough. I started when I was 12.
Way cheaper and more fun that karting. Average entry fee is $50 and I think it may even be cheaper for little tackers too.

www.hdcc.com.au

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #12
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MC Motorsports, RAC and DTEC are the organisers/contributors.

MC Motorsports use their cars I believe. Mostly Commodores.
Old 22-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Nah, MC days are generally drive-what-you-bring, so that everyone can sit back and laugh at your tremendous body-roll. They do have the commodores at our track (stock SS's with a cage), but at an extra cost. MC days cost around $50.

Old 22-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #14
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabonka
Gday All,

I've just switched my car insurance over to AAMI (and saved heaps from the previous mob) and as Im under 25, I can do a free skilled drivers course.

Has anyone done this, or know everything involved? It goes from 9am-4pm so Im assuming there is a fair bit involved!
I was part of a group who designed it many years ago
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #15
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leakey
I reckon they are a great idea. The one's I'm thinking of in Sydney are run by Ian Luff.
Be very careful with these type of "racetrack" type course, many multi-national companies are steering away from them as their statistics are showing an increase in accidents figures after drivers have done these types of 'accident avoidance' courses. People walk away feeling they are more competent and are taking more risks as they believe they have been pushed and now better understand their limits. Rear enders are the type of accidents that are increased.

AAMI is a great course for a novice.
Old 22-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #16
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks BigTrev. Mr Luff certainly likes the race course doesnt he!
Interesting take on that.

Haven't got to the bottom of MC yet though. So what the hell is it then!?

Best of luck this weekend.
Old 22-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #17
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I did the Murcott course many years ago through Mazda.

I learnt a lot about "mechanical sympathy"...working with your car not against it. Things like not ratcheting on the handbrake, correct inflation of tyres (and how far up the sidewall you'll go on a simple 70kmh change of direction), and things like where to put your eyeline when you look as though you may run up the back of something, which can reduce your braking distance. All good stuff.

It was a lot more about braking and car control and was a real eye opener
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 12:58 AM   #18
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

I did a course at Sandown a few years back, in my old Mazda.

It was also mostly about braking and car control, usually from about 60kph. It doesn't sound fast but suddenly braking and then changing direction, whilst still staying in control of the car isn't exactly easy. My Mazda didn't have ABS so it was an extra challenge. Too hard on the brakes and it would lock up and you lose the steering, too soft and you run right into the cones.

The braking + sudden change of direction really loads up the car. I remember there was a guy at the course driving a mini who snapped his axle. Not pretty!
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #19
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I could go on for hours about what a waste of time these race track type "defensive driving" courses are, but if you do a search you will find my opinions.

The only true place to teach defensive driving is in someones own car out in the real world, on the real roads, in real traffic.

I was taught and have taught hundreds, if not thousands of people, "it is far better to not get into a dangerous situation, than try to learn how to control one once you are in it" The old prevention is far better than a cure philosophy.

If driving on wet roads where the traction is uncertain, then drive to the conditions, which in most cases means "slow down", what these race track type course teach you is, "Oh OK, you are a ******! You are not driving to the conditons, here is some tips that MAY stop you from hitting a tree or another car" or the most common MVA is a rear ender in traffic, so I teach, stay back, leave a gap relevant to the speed you are doing, be observant, pay attention to all around you and to what is going on in front, racr track variant: "oh so you are ******* around with the mobile phone, the idiot in front has stopped, here is some tips that MAY stop you from hitting the car in front up the ****.

You work it out!

Close to 22 years as a professional advanced/defensive driver trainer means something surely, oh but I can also teach that race track garbage if you want to pay me heaps of money and achieve **** all IMHO.

My post is not intended to offend any posters on here - sorry if it does.
Old 23-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #20
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Big Trev, I understand where you're coming from, but to say that there is little point in people going to skidpan days to learn car control is a little off the mark I think.. (btw not offended at all )

Considering the abysmal level of driver training required to get your license as it is, everything should be done to encourage kids to go out and do these lessons.

It's all well and good to teach all the preventative measures, but all it takes is to be going say 100k's around the bend - even in say a 110 zone - and hit a patch of loose gumnuts or sand on the road, have the back kick out, and unless you know a thing or two about controlling oversteer, you're likely to bin it pretty hard.

I've seen a woman spin her conformadore on a straight stretch of road, because she clipped a gravel patch with her cruise on, and promptly pointed it back towards the traffic behind her.

I learned to control a slide when I was younger than 10 out on our fire breaks, and I can safely say that experience is what counts. But the problem is, that most kids now don't have any more training than mummy taking you to park at Coles a few times. They never get the real world advanced lessons, let alone the real world preventative measures.

Sure, a percentage of kids will walk out thinking they are now Mark Skaife, but on the most part, they will have the skills to deal with something that may crop up on a future drive. And if they do a skid pan course that allows them to use their own car, they also see what the limitations of their p.o.s echo econobox are. Plus, there's no kerbs, pedestrians, or parked cars to knock into.

I think your opinion is a little heavy handed on the whole trackwork idea (although you are definitely entitled to it), but I just think that there certainly is a need for these courses. However, like all skills, just having one type of lesson won't teach you anything. A combination of track days, real-world advanced driving lessons, and trips to uncle mick's farm is whats really needed.
Old 23-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #21
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

In defence of the course I did, there was a lot of theory / lecture material at the start of the day, that went over and over the prevention is far better than cure philosophy. Also, the practical sessions on the track were 100% about slowing down / braking from real world speeds (ie. 60 or 70kph) to avoid sudden obstacles up ahead (eg. a mistake made by another driver), or a change in road conditions. The course didn't involve any speeding, laps around Sandown, drifting, burnouts etc etc.

I can see your point Trev, that being taught on the track may not necessarily transfer to real-life, however, a sensible driver, who has done at least a half-respectable track course, would surely be better at the end of the day than a sensible driver who has had no further training.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #22
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will grant that some training is better than the **** they get prior to getting a licence.

And because of people being outspoken like me about the 'race track' type course, they have tried to improve what they are teaching.

Being told by a large multi-national that your race track training is **** and doesn't work has forced them to change what they offer.

But I will still stay, being in the real world, in real traffic, etc is the way to go.
Old 24-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #23
FPVSutto
Finally got it......

I did the AAMI one about 10 years ago. Was a good learning tool and helped me see things abit clearer.

Now I've bought the F6 I'm trying to find a good school that also adds in some wet weather training.

But the best school I've done for road awareness was when I started riding motorcycles.... I see alot more **** now then when I use to only drive.
09 F6 #679 - Viper
FPVSutto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 08:24 AM   #24
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bike training is always good, because most people understand how vunerable you are on a bike. You MUST pay attention if you want to stay alive.
Old 17-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #25
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Well, done the course yesterday.
Gotta say - it was a real eye opener with regards to stopping distances/following too close.

We done things like emergency braking, slalom, emergency swerving, hair-pin bends. It was all based at 45km/h or slower, but felt like I was doing so much more!!

It was about 4 hours of theory and 4 hours of prac - but def worth the time. There was mostly 17-20 y.o's on their P's who I think benefited the most. As a 24y.o I was an old bastard but still picked up a few pointers from bad habits that had crept in!

If any of you guys are with AAMI, I would certainly recommend it for either yourselves or your kids. I also now get 10% off until im 25
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 17-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #26
nstg8a

i did one like this back in nz, but we used their car, which had hydraulic 'training wheels' (for want of a better term) that basically let the instructer change the level of traction at any time.
was well worth doing, i had been driving for 15+ years when i did it, and couldnt belive the noob mistakes i made. everyone has something to learn.

edit, found a pic, dont know if its the same company

nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 06:50 AM   #27
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Australian Army has one of them contraptions they use for their driver training, I have had a go, very interesting indeed.
Old 26-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #28
BlackLS
yum

A lot of the theory is good stuff to know but some of it is just to scare you and is somewhat untrue. ie the class who were mainly red P platers were asked "how close do you see people generally following each other on the freeway at the speed limit", and started pacing out meters. The majority of people raised their hands at 2 metres and the instructor went along with it. I was a bit worried at that, the width of the classroom is the closest I've ever seen someone been tailgated at 110kmh.

I've done the skilled driver course. Its more of a demo of how speed effects certain situations, and you at 40kmh or less.

Let us know if you too can get the Focus around the hairpin at 45kmh without clipping cones ;)

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #29
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Let us know if you too can get the Focus around the hairpin at 45kmh without clipping cones ;)
Haha, I mastered the slalom, but did take out 1 cone in both my 45km/h hairpins!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 26-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #30
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Let me say from the outset that I'm a complete novice when it comes to driving on circuits so anyway I got the bug and went out and purchased my own helmet and yesterday evening did the Annual Australian Racing Drivers Club Members (I'm a member of the A.R.D.C.) Twightlight Drive Sessions.

I nominated to have an Instructor with me for the 3 Sessions I ended up completing and it was a driver I know from the Aust. Formula 3 Championship. This was definitely the right choice.

What I learnt from it is that it's preferential if your ride is a Manual or if not a Sequential Manual with some control over what gear you're in as my old Focus has what's really an "out of date" 4 Speed Auto........... and tyres, tyres, tyres! Tom reckoned I was running way too much pressure in them and I agreed. Go prepared with a tyre gauge and a portable electric pump and play around with pressures.

Was it the best fun I've had? Yes and No. It's a controlled environment i.e. no unpredictable drivers surrounding you and plenty of run-off so I was comfortable in building up my commitment to about 6/10ths. It's that little extra that will eventually make the difference. Tom went through the basics of ensuring your car is in a straight line when braking, always always looking ahead to what's going to happen, apex's were marked by a cone and getting on the power in the right area of the corner and not turning into a corner too soon (something that I was guilty of). I was wary of Turn 1 but gradually increased my speed down the straight and braked later and later.

I suppose the only downside is the grouping of cars. There was a mix of them but I would prefer to have all small cars together and the V8/Turbo/AWD cars together. There were some real weapons out there. Check the website www.jpmphoto.com.au. Enter the Photo Gallery go to the 2nd from the Top "Eastern Creek Drive Day" then go to "Tuesday 25/1/11 Twightlight Drive" then "All Groups" and I'm on Pages 3, 4, 5, 11 and 12. Mine's the only Focus.

Eddie.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post