Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Your opinion on the current XR6 and XR6T relationship
I am happy with the strategy Ford has employed to date 74 37.37%
I would prefer the XR6T to be futher differentiated 118 59.60%
Other, please explain 6 3.03%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default *AFF Survey* - Round 1 - XR6/T differentiation

Before continuing please read the thread below and understand that this thread is part of my final year project and part of my thesis.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11308122

This topic is open to all opinions, so vehicle ownership is not a prerequisite and everyone's opinion is valid.

My study involves the investigation into the relationship between the current FG Ford Falcon XR6 and XR6T. Just to refresh peoples minds, below are some pictures of both cars:

Ford Falcon XR6 (n/a)

Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo

What are peoples thoughts on the differentiation strategy that Ford of Australia has implemented with regards to these two vehicles?

I have added a poll above with the options but I am also interested to hear what peoples feelings are with regards to the two and how they are separated by Ford (excluding the obvious factors such as power and price).

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 09-09-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Other than the wheels and badging these two cars are identical, and even then you can option the wheels up. If you are looking for differences you will find them in Optioning the car up and that's about the only place there is a difference. There hasn't been any sort of strategy to differentiate the two cars from an advertising point of view either. Just look at the pictures of the two blue XR6's you used to make your point. They are the exact same car with different wheels photoshopped on and a new plate painted on

Note: Of the XR6T in Dash in the bottom pic - the exhaust looks a bit out of whack.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev

Note: Of the XR6T in Dash in the bottom pic - the exhaust looks a bit out of whack.
That's a no cost Factory Option
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

That has been a standard feature on all Falcons to date.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I think the only differentiation the Xr6T needs is the turbo.

So yeah, the strategy is fine.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least the XR8 has a differenciated characteristic. It's bonnet. perhaps the XR6T can get some vents? Or different ehaust or rear lenses? etc

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I'm always in two minds on this issue. For starters I like that without any major changes the turbo is quite simply the best at being an "understated monster".

The flip side is I think Ford is being a little flippant with the XR nameplate. Maybe its time the XR6 (natural) got demoted back to a "S" pack and they open back the door for FPV to do a XR6 with a bit more gusto
Old 09-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford have been downplaying it's heritage for some time - selling to a changing market place.

For these models the only difference, strategy wise, should remain with the badge IMO.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

I would like further differentiation between the XR6 and XR6T. I also think that if you've paid the coin you probably deserve the 'recognition' from front on, just like an XR8.

With that in mind i think vents like those seen on the EF/EL XR models would be all that is probably required. They could also be functional depending on positioning by extracting underbonnet heat.

If you want a 'Q' car then get the G6ET!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

i would like to see a different bonnet. Thats it.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

I voted other, while differentiation is great I think they've got bigger fish to fry with the funds they have available at their disposal. How about offering a Sunroof/Moonroof or MyFord (Sync) on the Falcon series? These are features that sell cars, not subtle styling elements.

2011 Mustang Glassroof

MyFord

Last edited by R-Design; 09-09-2010 at 05:02 PM.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

I have a feeling that Ford should stay the understated motor co. Why? Well look at the HSV E2/E3's to see what I mean... Better to be conservative than to have your followers not to even want to see even a picture of your product! lol
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

BOSS315 thats a good point, lets say within reason that money isn't a major factor but bearing in mind its Ford not Ferrari. Also those are great features that could be used over the whole range or are you saying they should be just for the XR6T (or XR's?)

All good points so far people. Remember any additional changes to the XR6T could possibly be taken on board by FPV with the F6 if they effect the mechanics of the car to share costs etc. (But this is not of primary concern)
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6
I have a feeling that Ford should stay the understated motor co. Why? Well look at the HSV E2/E3's to see what I mean... Better to be conservative than to have your followers not to even want to see even a picture of your product! lol
What those pics don't show is that the cooler is clearly visible to the trained eye on the T, which to me, from the front at least, is quite a cool differentation.

I must admit tho that I have mistaken the odd XR6 radiator for an intercooler from a distance!

I think most people with a T don't want too much attention but are happy that 'those in the know' recognise what they're driving.

I vote for a tiny bit more bling thanks, maybe better intercooler presentation ala FPV and maybe a tiny little T on the side skirt or something.

Just so 'those in the know' know... You know?
Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #15
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
BOSS315 thats a good point, lets say within reason that money isn't a major factor but bearing in mind its Ford not Ferrari. Also those are great features that could be used over the whole range or are you saying they should be just for the XR6T (or XR's?)
I like the XR6T, it’s quick and it’s cheap but it’s not a hero car. It's entry level performance.

The F6 & GT are your hero’s, they should get the differentiation in terms of looks.

MyFord and a trick Moonroof should be standard on the premium luxury models and an option across the range. Flash those in Ads and online and you’ll get foot traffic at the dealerships.

Last edited by R-Design; 09-09-2010 at 05:41 PM.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

myself i like the fact both the xr6 and the t are a little understated, demoting the xr6 to an s would be a bad move imo, xr6 in its own right is a good platform and a well known one and also is no slouch in non turbo form either, as long as they can both be optioned up i would`nt change either.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #17
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I know it adds cost, but a different lower grill insert could be nice to split the two apart...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #18
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I agree with irlewy86, maybe the XR6 should be demoted to something more like an S pac and let the turbo be the hero 6 cylinder model.

Just some small details to differentiate them would be nice like differently styled bodykit, different wheels that cant be optioned on the cooking model XR6. The XR8 needs a little more presence too imo. Nothing over the top though like the abundance of flutes and chunky kit on an SS.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #19
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I think quad headlights on xr6t as that is an old xr "tradition" and if engineered properly would look fantastic!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #20
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Slotted front rotors for the TTG write-up and pics. 

Not being a Falcon owner myself, i have often wondered why the "Turbo" bagde is only on the bootlid? Why not on the sides with the XR6 badge? Or even a "Turbo" badge on the grille like the F6 or GT badges? I do think they need to be differentiated, but it wouldnt need much.

Good luck with your thesis.
FPVF6X201 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #21
XW 393
"WHEEZER" POWERED

I like the fact that it makes people go "I wonder if it is a Turbo or not?" the advantage of the sleeper is yours !
Old 09-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #22
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I'd like to see the "cat scratches" the were on the E-series incorporated

SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #23
zdcol71
zdcol71

In my opinion, if the difference is the turbo, let that be the difference. Granted, a little more definition in the badging, but thats it.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #24
andrewts
White Car Driver

I agree that a few subtle differences would be good, just to let people know what they're looking at is a little bit special. Too many fleets buy XR6s and it just clogs the road with them and they look commonplace. I would want my XR6T to stand out from the crowd even if only a little bit.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #25
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I'm glad that with the FG the intercooler became unpainted, from the front it allowed easier recognition. Unless your Ford mad like most of us, the Turbo badging is a little too subtle to pick up.
Maybe some side vents would be a good idea. I know holden has done something like that already, but I think it can be tastefully applied to the FG.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #26
tolzero

As a driver of a debadged XR6T, I think a change to the the styling would be a subtle yet wanted change between the two. The slight difference between a Gt and GTP lets people in the know exactly what they are looking at without a look at a badge. What we are buying is a entry model so maybe the dollar difference isn't worth the minute detail change to Ford. Only optioning wheels for a specific model would just lead to aftermarket buying of those rims to upgrade. If I could afford to spend thousands of dollars on aftermarket extras getting my kilowatts up to FPV range I would definetely be spending some dollars to change the appearance off my ute to differentiate it from the N/A XR6 that i park next to at work.
tolzero is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #27
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

I too would love to see e-series style vents incorporated in the FG bonnet, they'd really need to be subtle though. They would offer a slight difference visually and the amount of heat these engines produce is amazing, letting some of the heat out is only a good thing.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #28
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I remember my old BA XR6. I debadged it and got plates that read SLWXR6. Everybody thought I had a turbo.
It was frustrating because I realized I had a car that looked "faster" (better?) than what I had. And people reacted to it. Different styling cues and so on would have seperated me from the turbo crowd. Not that I minded, but it was annoying having to correct people about what I drove!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #29
FCleader
John

I had BA2 xr6t and loved the fact that you could take the turbo badge off and it was a bit of a sleeper.. the only thing I would want is maybe some different paint colours exclusive to the Turbo and XR8 models.. like the hero colours but exclusive
FCleader is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #30
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
I remember my old BA XR6. I debadged it and got plates that read SLWXR6. Everybody thought I had a turbo.
It was frustrating because I realized I had a car that looked "faster" (better?) than what I had. And people reacted to it. Different styling cues and so on would have seperated me from the turbo crowd. Not that I minded, but it was annoying having to correct people about what I drove!
Why did "SLWXR6" make everyone think you had a turbo??