Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Default What's with all the moron drivers on Lonsdale highway in Adelaide?

I usually travel on this road to and from work and it would have to be the worst road I've ever seen for right lane hogs and tailgaters (sometimes the latter offence being provoked by the former offence but still not justified).

When everyone is doing the speed limit the traffic flows smoothly with good safe distances between cars, but as soon as there is a slower vehicle it becomes pure chaos, cars end up bumper to bumper as everyone is braking to keep a safe distance from the car in front, even in the left (slow) lane it is disruptive if someone is doing 60 instead of 80, but the real problem is these morons in the right lane who pace themselves (sometimes deliberately) next to a slow moving vehicle in the left lane, this creates a "rolling road block" and is more than likely the cause of chain collisions and even some fatalities which have occurred on this road.

EXAMPLE: The other morning on my way to work this moron in a white toyota hiace van decides to sit in the right lane at 65 next to another vehicle in the left lane which was going about the same speed (this is an 80 kph keep left zone)

I wait patiently behind him for about 1 kilometre keeping a good safe distance waiting for him to overtake the slower car but he doesn't go any faster and just keeps pace with the car in the left lane. I flash my lights to let him know I want to pass, I did NOT tailgate, I did NOT blast my horn, I just flashed my lights once, but he did not speed up and basically continued his "rolling road block" from Hallett Cove almost until Majors rd. Then the slow car in the left lane turned off, so guess what this moron did? He floored it and sped up to try and prevent me from passing but when you compare a tuned xr6T to a toyota Hiace van as you guessed I easily passed him and got in front, but he kept accelerating and tailgated me so close down cement hill that I could not see his headlights, he had attempted to out accelerate me to box me in but failed so threw a tantrum and tailgated me, which I ignored (in spite of him begging for a punch in the head) , then I turned right and guess what? He went straight ahead down Brighton rd, he wasn't even turning right so he had even less business being in the right lane than me.

Surely someone who behaves in this manner is brain dead, and why would you try and out accelerate an xr6T in a crappy Hiace van and then cry because you can't

It's these types of drivers that provoke road rage, if I'd tailgated him, blasted my horn etc it would have been more understandable but still no excuse. ROAD HOGS SUCK and completely stuff up traffic flow on highways
I also don't like tailgaters either : The apparent lack of proper policing on this highway just adds to the frustration, I guess there is no money in catching road hogs.
Whilst tailgating is publically frowned upon, dangerous disruptive lane hogging has not had the negative media exposure that tailgating has, maybe the powers higher up like travelling slow in the right lane

Last edited by muso; 02-04-2010 at 09:25 PM.
muso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SAd to say champ but this is a typicall occurance on the roads in adelaide now.

I drive round town all day and if i didnt get cut off 5-6 times a day i would be very surprised.

The thing i have noticed the most of late is when people see you coming and still pull out in front of you. Man if i had an F100 with a bull bar!

No wonder i am starting to go round the bend.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

I drive on a major sydney (110kmh) road to work. Today i saw the following:

L plater doing 80 kms in the right hand lane(2 lanes available)

Z4 BMW with female passenger "oraly pleasuring" male driver at 110kmh(i am serious. good on him but theres a time and place)

P plater tailgating me in left lane at speed limit with foglights on

two cars full of blokes travelling at 60 in an 80 zone windows down out of the car up to the waist "yahooing"

Ironically this was on an easter public holiday. The only patrol car was pulling into maccas for his tea. Out of all of these drivers I would be the only one that wouldve gotten booked for anything(by a photographic revenue generator) as i accidently broke the speed limit (not by much) to limit my exposure to the L plater in the right hand lane. VENT OVER.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Mr X
mustang pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by muso
I usually travel on this road to and from work and it would have to be the worst road I've ever seen for right lane hogs and tailgaters (sometimes the latter offence being provoked by the former offence but still not justified).

When everyone is doing the speed limit the traffic flows smoothly with good safe distances between cars, but as soon as there is a slower vehicle it becomes pure chaos, cars end up bumper to bumper as everyone is braking to keep a safe distance from the car in front, even in the left (slow) lane it is disruptive if someone is doing 60 instead of 80, but the real problem is these morons in the right lane who pace themselves (sometimes deliberately) next to a slow moving vehicle in the left lane, this creates a "rolling road block" and is more than likely the cause of chain collisions and even some fatalities which have occurred on this road.

EXAMPLE: The other morning on my way to work this moron in a white toyota hiace van decides to sit in the right lane at 65 next to another vehicle in the left lane which was going about the same speed (this is an 80 kph keep left zone)

I wait patiently behind him for about 1 kilometre keeping a good safe distance waiting for him to overtake the slower car but he doesn't go any faster and just keeps pace with the car in the left lane. I flash my lights to let him know I want to pass, I did NOT tailgate, I did NOT blast my horn, I just flashed my lights once, but he did not speed up and basically continued his "rolling road block" from Hallett Cove almost until Majors rd. Then the slow car in the left lane turned off, so guess what this moron did? He floored it and sped up to try and prevent me from passing but when you compare a tuned xr6T to a toyota Hiace van as you guessed I easily passed him and got in front, but he kept accelerating and tailgated me so close down cement hill that I could not see his headlights, he had attempted to out accelerate me to box me in but failed so threw a tantrum and tailgated me, which I ignored (in spite of him begging for a punch in the head) , then I turned right and guess what? He went straight ahead down Brighton rd, he wasn't even turning right so he had even less business being in the right lane than me.

Surely someone who behaves in this manner is brain dead, and why would you try and out accelerate an xr6T in a crappy Hiace van and then cry because you can't

It's these types of drivers that provoke road rage, if I'd tailgated him, blasted my horn etc it would have been more understandable but still no excuse. ROAD HOGS SUCK and completely stuff up traffic flow on highways
I also don't like tailgaters either : The apparent lack of proper policing on this highway just adds to the frustration, I guess there is no money in catching road hogs.
Whilst tailgating is publically frowned upon, dangerous disruptive lane hogging has not had the negative media exposure that tailgating has, maybe the powers higher up like travelling slow in the right lane
I feel your pain.....................try the Southern Stressway for some real grief.

Keep in mind that the off ramps are all on the right side when the expressway is heading south.
There are "keep left unless overtaking" signs every 500 metres-but none of the early morning/late afternoon plonkers with a coffee in one hand and a mobile in the other can read.

Legalise hand guns?

Not much you can do about it I'm afraid-its down to people learning to be considerate and driver training-fat chance on both counts.

ps I've seen cops in a coma in the fast lane too-fine example.
Mr X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixhc
The thing i have noticed the most of late is when people see you coming and still pull out in front of you. Man if i had an F100 with a bull bar!
This is one thing that annoys me, especially around my local area when I'm cruising at a nice 100km/h and some moron up ahead on the left waiting to turn left into the road im on, sees me, and decides to come out and go REALLY slowly up to 100km/h forcing me to brake so I don't park my Fiesta up his sphincter. Its even worse when there is no one behind me and they still come out, you could have just waited for me to pass, then come out and accelerated as slowly as you wished without causing any hassle.

I think it might be metro drivers who barely come out into the country though, I suppose you don't have to worry about timing and gaps in the traffic as much when you're only doing 50-60km/h.

Also one thing I've noticed is that people tend to try bully people into going faster by tailgating in their bigger cars, SUVs it mainly appears to be and they do it to small car owners. Could just be something in our water over here.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Yes it does seem that these problematic road users are national rather than local, they are more than likely international (except on German autobahns where an Audi RS6 doing 240 would drive over the top of the average Australian moron with mobile in one hand and a pastie in the other in the fast lane)

I think it is a mindset, years ago I was followed to my house by a fat old slob in a VN commodore because I pointed at the keep left sign as I passed him, this fat old bastard was on his mobile in the 100 zone in the right lane doing 60 and had the nerve to give chase because I pointed out the obvious, he must have new what I was talking about when I pointed at the keep left sign, what was he going to do? If he got out to beat me up he would have probably had a heart attack on my front lawn he looked so unfit, anyway he just drove off and probably found someone else to annoy.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Yes it does seem that these problematic road users are national rather than local, they are more than likely international (except on German autobahns where an Audi RS6 doing 240 would drive over the top of the average Australian moron with mobile in one hand and a pastie in the other in the fast lane)

I think it is a mindset, years ago I was followed to my house by a fat old slob in a VN commodore because I pointed at the keep left sign as I passed him, this fat old bastard was on his mobile in the 100 zone in the right lane doing 60 and had the nerve to give chase because I pointed out the obvious, he must have new what I was talking about when I pointed at the keep left sign, what was he going to do? If he got out to beat me up he would have probably had a heart attack on my front lawn he looked so unfit, anyway he just drove off and probably found someone else to annoy.
Should have pointed him to the closest McDonalds instead.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

I had a similar thing happen on the way home from work on thursday, but it was a magna instead of a Hiace and it was doing 90 in 100, so not as bad, but still annoying. And he sped up to around 110 or so as I went past him! I still got in front of him and took my usual action.

I have to ask why didn't you use your horn - it's what it's there for! In this situation, oncer I can actually get around these idiots (and I honk as I pass), I generally pull in front of them and Iif there is heaps of room behind me) then hit the brakes hard; just once, but enough to make them brake hard too, I then accelerate back to the speed limit. 95% of people get the message and actually pull over!

Did you get the Hiace's rego? Do you have a hands free kit? If yes to the second question, next time this happens ring the police (not 000; just the general number - if you don't know it, find it out), and ring them telling them what road you are on and that you think you have a drunk driver behind you and fear for your life - give them the rego and let them sort the idiots out.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

If I'd been in a real hurry I would have used the horn, but I thought I'd give him a chance to speed up, it was when he deliberately sped up once the left lane was clear then tried pushing me to go faster down cement hill by tailgating because I got past him which ****ed me off, it was still getting light (about 7.00 am) and I couldn't even see his headlights he was so close. If I'd had my kids in the car I would have taken it more personally, in hindsight I should have braked heavily because I need a new rear bumper.

I think the van is local anyway, I've seen it before, he is probably more than likely a young dude who thinks he's invincible, no matter what age he is one thing is for certain, he is not very bright.

I can remember being about 18 with a few mates in the car chasing and abusing a motorist who correctly pointed out that I was in the wrong lane on the freeway going too slow, so I was being a moron without thinking.

The "keep left" signs in my opinion which have not changed in 30 years look too innocuous, if they were more like a mandatory speed limit sign maybe more people would take notice.

Most of these right lane morons know they should be keeping left, you can always tell when there is a motorcyle cop around.........all the cars desperately lane changing at the same time to clear the right lane.

Although "two wrongs don't make a right" I must admit that on a few occasions I've got in front of a right lane hog and slowed down and they can't get over to the left quick enough, people like this are motivated by self interest.......as soon as THEY are getting held up they move over to get around the "obstacle".
Old 03-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

This situation is becoming all too common, I'd really like to a see a nation wide Police blitz on right lane hogs.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
I agree with your anger and frustration. It is such a pet hate of mine and I see this several times each trip I take on the M5.

Last week the car of choice was a highly modded black Commy who casually rolled in the right lane for the best part of 15km.... no one dared flash / horn them but then to my surprise when overtaking on the left it was a youngish lady in the drivers seat and an oldish lady sitting in the passenger seat, totally oblivious to what they were doing....

And then the fools who play wannabe police and keep everyone else in check by rolling along a left hand laned car (thinking they are doing everyone else a service by keeping them at or just under the limit)...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #12
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

I know this kinda frustration and trust me it isn't just on any 1 road. I have driven on most the main highways and free ways in and around sydney and melbourne. Normally i'm in a 100s cruiser, sometimes with a 16ft car tralier, but even when i'm loaded with a car behind, you will still see the occasional moron in their little crumbledoor or other said vehicle try and muscle me outta my lane. Now i also do the speed limit, or just over so i'm not being a pain to anyone, i sit in the left lane to avoid problems. But some people still seem to think i can stop approx. 7 ton as quick as a au sedan, lol. I've also driven alot of these roads just in my xr8, and well thats when all hell breaks loose, it's either drive just like the rest of them, or put up with being bullied around. Oh, i especially love the attention ya seem to get when ya plates are from another state.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Should have pointed him to the closest McDonalds instead.
LOL Hungry Jacks is the closest here

Falcon coupe A blitz would be a great idea but unlikely to happen, there's not much money in blitzing right lane hogs, since it is an offence which would require a patrol car or motorcycle cop to enforce whilst moving it would not be cost effective, it would use lots of time and fuel, speed cameras or laser guns are far more lucrative.

I've seen police cars going slow in the passing lane.

But I once also spoke to a cop at a police station who felt quite strongly about the right lane hog problem on highways, he said it is hard to prove and often gets thrown out of court if the person appeals the infringment notice, they need only tell the judge that they were turning right or that they are a nervous driver and need to stay in that lane etc etc etc the list goes on, he was really ****ed off about the right lane hogs to, he even had a couple of stories similar to ours "one day I was driving down the freeway with my wife and kids" etc etc

Policing of traffic is similar to parenting, kids and drivers will be as bad as they are allowed to be.

It's been my experience in life that history shows that people will do anything as long as they think they can get away with it, I am confident that I could spend 12 hours a day 7 days a week sitting in the right lane going deliberately slow creating havoc for other motorists (even the odd chain collison) on Lonsdale highway, Southern Expressway and probably anywhere else and not get booked for it

Last edited by muso; 03-04-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

[QUOTE=hendrixhc]

A woman pulled out in front of me a while back causing me to brake to avoid an accident, she had blue eyes........that's how bloody close I was to her, any closer and we would have needed condoms.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

i used to travel lonsdale hwy at least twice a day for about 10 years, i noticed people would move out the way when they saw my 72 f100 coming up behind.
people would avoid coming behind me at the lights too, id see 5 or 6 cars pull into the other lane thinking id be slow to take off, haha 351c, 2500 stall, 4.11s.... sure im slow to take off.
lmao when lights go green and im 20-30 cars lengths infront of them and u see them all pull back in the lane behind u.

i was in my satin black xr fairmont one day with a couple of mates. took off at the lights one time with 6 or 7 slow cars infront, u know the kind, where they have to wait for the light to go green and actually see the car in front move a bit before they put theirs in gear. then the next car behind them does the same, in the end only 3 cars get thru the intersection.
i looked to my right, there was a clear space, so i indicate, accelerate and move over. as i get halfway over i notice in my rear view mirror, a black turbo porsche 911 wide body has done the exact same thing and is flying up behind to try and cut me off.
i accelerate harder and pull away from him and then just cruise on 80k's. traffic clears and i move back into the left lane, the porsche speeds up alongside me, gives a big thumbs up and takes the next right turn. i think i surprised him, funny stuff

buses are bad on that road too, ive been forced to drive up on the median strip when a bus has just indicated and moved over on me in my f100. the driver shat himself as i started blasting my horn at him, he looked out his rh window to see me right alongside him with 2 wheels in the grass. i reported him too.
my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #16
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Yeah, I drove an old work F100 351 4 speed a few times and people do seem to get out of your way that's for sure.

PS: Is that a 1967 XR Fairmont? Beautiful car
Old 03-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #17
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

yeah, its had a quick paint job now, have a look in the sa spotted section, page 181
Old 03-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #18
Trek
Blue blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixhc
This happens just about everywhere I drive, even if I'm doing 80-100 in said zones, with practically no safe time to turn in, the morons STILL persist in doing that.

Natural selection IS NOT doing its job properly, with regards to a fair amount of people on our roads. Almost as far as dangling a carrot in front of a donkey, a driver asking to be hit by another driver. Not even the horn registers with these folks...
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

people move for me sometimes, p.s i dont have a bullbar, nor do i tailgate

Last edited by my67xr; 12-12-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #20
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its all over the country, not just in Adelaide.

It reflects on everyone who drives as to how pityful we are becoming socially etc...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #21
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

A woman pulled out in front of me a while back causing me to brake to avoid an accident, she had blue eyes........that's how bloody close I was to her, any closer and we would have needed condoms.
ROFL! What a good way to score one! :

This right-lane problem is national, not just one SA highway. Spending a lot of time in Europe it seems to me that a lot of Australians who do it deliberately (ignoring the simply vague ones) are unfortunately just very immature. Sad, it's supposed to be an easy-going friendly country - but in reality in many cases a very repressed one. What's bugging people?
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #22
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Its all over the country, not just in Adelaide.

It reflects on everyone who drives as to how pityful we are becoming socially etc...

Yes I agree, it is a symptom of a far bigger problem in the greater scheme of things, maybe it's a by product of democracy, but I think the mentality comes back to law enforcement, as long as you don't speed, drink drive, run red lights, you can do anything else, the fact that our road law enforcement is revenue driven and the authorities don't care about driver tips and education just the money (we don't care if you got your license when there were still horses sharing the road with cars, just pay us the money and your licensed to drive wherever and however you want) this I think has caused a national drop in morale, especially the money before blood (revenue before road safety) strong hand of the authorities nation wide.

Failing to give way is only going to be a problem if you either have an accident or a cop sees you and you get booked, otherwise nothing will come of it, and a blasting horn to these types would be like water off a duck's back, it would go unnoticed, they'd probably say "He's on drugs",
Ignorance is bliss, being a musician I think bad drivers are like bad singers nobody can tell them the truth, they're in denial.

But I also think that people who regularly deliberately obstruct the right lane have a low self esteem problem and this gives these pathetic types a temporary feeling of importance and power because they can control your speed, a small man syndrome (regardless of their actual stature whether they are 5' 4" or 6' 4")

Last edited by muso; 03-04-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #23
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

[QUOTE=new2ford]ROFL! What a good way to score one! :

But she was bloody ugly LOL
Old 03-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #24
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes I agree, it is a symptom of a far bigger problem in the greater scheme of things, maybe it's a by product of democracy, but I think the mentality comes back to law enforcement, as long as you don't speed, drink drive, run red lights, you can do anything else, the fact that our road law enforcement is revenue driven and the authorities don't care about driver tips and education just the money
I actually think its a result of capitolism! lol
The majority is driving around in their own little world not caring how their actions affect others.
In a hurry going nowhere!
Its like we all feel important and that we have to be there on time because we are all busy. Rushing around like little worker ants making the queen (ie the banks) happy repaying off our massive debts etc etc
No one wants to slow down and smell the roses as such.
Its called selfishness and self absorbsion.

Try working alongside council workers or the electricty companies and see how much abuse they cop for holding up traffic....

Look at the increase in violence against Ambulance staff and nurses in Hospitals....

All this is a symtom of a greater social problem.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #25
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Yes I guess life would be better and safer if people had better time management skills and didn't feel the need to rush around and I think the "worker ants in their own little world" is a very accurate metaphor.

But the tragic side of this and other social problems is the death of common courteousy and consideration for others, it has been replaced by an arrogant selfish each man for himself dog eats dog attitude in many drivers nowdays, and in extreme road rage incidents an almost "underbelly" attitude
(you honked your horn at me so I'm coming after you). It's all very well to carry a baseball bat or whatever but who really wants to live like that, live by the sword die by the sword. Beating the crap out of some moron who doesn't keep left isn't going to stop him from being a moron.

A guy in Melbourne a few years ago had his ear bitten off in a street fight because the driver wouldn't keep left (it was on a current affair I think) he had to go back to the scene to try and find his ear but couldn't find it.
I'm glad the average person doesn't usually carry a loaded hand gun in their glovebox like in some parts America.

These incidents are a symptom of a state of mind no matter what sparks it, maybe we are spoilt, who knows? It still comes down to bad parenting (policing) as far as road rules go anyway in my opinion.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've noticed when I leave to go to work at around 6:45 in the morning, you get a lot of big utes roaring along at around 120-130km/h which doesn't really bother me because they usually just overtake but really, whats the rush? The less time I spend at work the better haha. People need to stop rushing to places, just take it easy and everyone would be more relaxed.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #27
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
These incidents are a symptom of a state of mind no matter what sparks it, maybe we are spoilt, who knows? It still comes down to bad parenting (policing) as far as road rules go anyway in my opinion.
The lack of a clear Police presence on the roads doesn't help either.
And the "slap on the wrist" mentality of the courts as well...

People know that the chances of getting caught doing the wrong thing on the roads is minimal. But even with the slim chance of getting caught they dont care because they know it will be just a slap on the wrist.

Here where I live I was informed that we actually should have 180 police given the population/ and area of responsibility (this was 3 yrs ago mind you and came from friend of mine who is a cop). At the time we only had 98 Police.

He said that the ministers office would fiddle the figures etc to make it appear everythings ok.... I think he said they actually use the "crime rate" figures to justify how many police we need, instead of using the population numbers, or something to that effect.

Supposedly the crime rate is low so we dont need as many police...??????
Its like saying we should cut the number of firemen we need. Fires are rare, so why do we need all these fireman sitting around pumping iron at the station doing nothing...

I had recently witnessed a few bad accidents in town, in peak hour.
Ambulances would arrive within 5 to 10mins.
Police took an average of 15min to respond (This isnt to say im having a go at the Police, but the fact remains they are understaffed here)
By that stage the traffic was chaos!

A work friend last year had her house broken into, when they got home they had caught them in the act. Her partner chased them up the street and had caught one and sat on him. He called Police and was told it would be at least 2 hrs before they could respond!!

He was advised to release the boy!!!

No one showed 2hrs later, in fact it took 24hrs for a car to arrive at their house! In the mean time they had gone to the station to report the crime.

In typical fashion the government spins lies to us all to say there is no problems.

Its a sad fact that we all know that getting caught is slim, so some of us take the risk and break the law and get away with it. Which really doens't show us in good light now does it?

Old 03-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #28
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Yes I think it does come down to numbers of police on patrol, children will often misbehave if not supervised, I think drivers as I said before if unsupervised will misbehave accordingly, I am a landlord and one tenant removed all of the light globes on the day he moved out, you know why he did that? Because I wasn't there to make he didn't do it.

I must admit getting back to the original thread discussion, I would have loved to have seen what this moron in the hiace van had to say, he wouldn't have had a leg to stand on in an argument, but I guess there is little point arguing with an idiot. Would have been interesting if there was a punch up, but it's not really worth it in the end.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #29
SLO-04L
It Never Ends

mate i know exactly what you mean, I live on cement hill and travel up lonsdale daily, if its not a pair of Camry's sitting next to each other its some festiva cutting me off and pulling into the right lane trying desperately to overtake a truck at 80Kph up a hill. Ive learnt to just relax and take my time, anything else and I'm just wasting fuel!
SLO-04L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #30
left
Lady Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
This is one thing that annoys me, especially around my local area when I'm cruising at a nice 100km/h and some moron up ahead on the left waiting to turn left into the road im on, sees me, and decides to come out and go REALLY slowly up to 100km/h forcing me to brake so I don't park my Fiesta up his sphincter. Its even worse when there is no one behind me and they still come out, you could have just waited for me to pass, then come out and accelerated as slowly as you wished without causing any hassle.

I think it might be metro drivers who barely come out into the country though, I suppose you don't have to worry about timing and gaps in the traffic as much when you're only doing 50-60km/h.
Could be something in this and/or that they are unfamiliar with the road(s) they are driving on.

I think some people are just totally oblivious to what's going on around them.
I had a driver (SA plated Prius) pull a U turn in front of me in a 100 kmh zone a couple of weeks ago causing me to brake hard to avoid rear ending her (it did reinforce how much I love my new DBA rotors though :P ). She then proceeded to putt putt along at about 50kmh making no effort to reach the posted speed limit. When I had the chance to and overtook her she flashed her lights and flipped me off! :rolleyes:

It may have been that she thought it was a 50kmh zone because she didn't know or notice the posted limits. Makes you realise how easily some idiotic move could cause an accident. Of course she'd be none the wiser even now. Prolly slagging me off on another forum as that girl driving a big car up her bum :P

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
left is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post