Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
gordon_s1942
Starter Motor

Default AU11 Steering wheel misalignment

Due to not looking I have just replaced the steering rack on my AU11 wagon but after getting the wheel alignment, the steering wheel is now at roughly at the 5 o'clock position.
Prior to me deciding I needed to smash the old one, the steering wheel was at the '9 to 3' position with all the buttons (Radio/Cruise) in easy feel range.
The alignment place claimed that was the best they get get it.
After the accident NO part of the steering was disconnected although the steering rack was broken off the crossmember.
And all the Hydralic lines were busted so no oil in the system.
The wagon could be mover forwards and backwards fairly easily, to do any turn just grasp a wheel and armstrong it around.
The wagon was pulled up onto a Tip Tray and rolled straight off into my shed at home and there it sat.
Before doing ANYTHING, I secured the steering wheel roughly horitzontal ( 9 to 3 ) as best I could to prevent the wheel turning.
I was very concerned about damaging the 'clockwork springs'.
Replaced Rack etc, did a bloody rough alignment and drove to town.
The alignment has come in spot on but for the cant on the steering wheel which they claim they cant adjust out.

I thought I could 'reset' the steering wheel at that extension shaft but it like the steering knuckle is 'Keyed' as is where the extension rod attatches to the bottom of the steering shaft and the book shows that has a location bolt thru it too into the steering shaft.
I aint going near the Air-bag but even so, I dont think that is the correct way to align the steering wheel.

I think the steering wheel should be set squarely first THEN the alignment to match it but I dont know enought to go back and get it redone.

In an EF I had to insist that the 'mechanic' redo the setting because he had caused the steering wheel to turn 60 degrees or so clockwise when he did the alignment and that was only when I put a new set of tyres on the car, not a rebuild like this.
I can do so much but this is out of my depth somewhat so I need any and all help I can get.
Thanks

Last edited by gordon_s1942; 25-03-2010 at 05:21 PM.
gordon_s1942 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They can adjust it out, Take it back and get it re aligned.
Old 25-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Firstly, Was the rack central when replaced? If it's not, you can run out of adjustment so not to be able to centralise the steering whel.

I'd suggest going back to where the alignment was done and make sure that there is room to centralise the steering wheel from underneath and if so, get them to straighten the steering wheel

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 01:28 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You can't centralise the steering wheel in an AU after an alignment - it's a square shaft at the wheel end, and a keyed shaft at the rack end. This has to be done by adjusting the length of the steering arms - as many turns as you take out of one side, add to the other, and you should get the wheel straight, and keep your alignment (I'd still get the alignment checked to make sure).

If the wheel is pointing left, (which means you have to turn it slightly right to go straight, then you need to shorten the RH steering arm, and lengthen the left. It's easy to do - undo lock nut, turn shaft and count how many 1/4 turns you do (it's square, so easy to mark and count), and re do lock nut. I found 3/4 turn equates roughly to one set of marks on a clock (so if it was pointing straight at 11, then to move to 12 is 3/4 turn).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
illusivedreams

take the wheel off and reposition.
K&N Panel Filter
FG XR6 17" Rims 245/45-17 tyres
XR6T Snorkle
BA front Caliper Conversion 300mm With Bendix Heavy Duty Pads
Tow bar
Transmission Cooler
illusivedreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

JC has already covered why you can't do that
Old 26-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
gordon_s1942
Starter Motor

JC, I suspected that was the ONLY way to 'reset' the steering wheel keeping in mind that the Rack is 'centered' first as close as possible.
Thanks for the replies everyone.
gordon_s1942 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

You can centralise a steering wheel after an alignment. It's done from underneath.

Also, when the rack was replaced, was the steering wheel central when the rack was removed? If not, you can run out of adjustment underneath, to centralise the steering wheel.

I would also suggest. DON'T go trying to centralise it from underneath at home. Good chance of stuffing the alignment totally.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 27-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

Take it back to them and tell them to have the engine running while doing the wheel alignment. My EF fairmont ghia and my AU Fairlane have both had this happen. Before they have done the wheel alignment i have said to them to run the motor and they just shrug it off almost saying, what would he know. Then when i take it for a drive up the road and come back 2 mins later saying the steering wheel is in the wrong position then they do it my way. This is at a reputable tyre centre! Good luck.
greenguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenguzzler
Take it back to them and tell them to have the engine running while doing the wheel alignment. My EF fairmont ghia and my AU Fairlane have both had this happen. Before they have done the wheel alignment i have said to them to run the motor and they just shrug it off almost saying, what would he know. Then when i take it for a drive up the road and come back 2 mins later saying the steering wheel is in the wrong position then they do it my way. This is at a reputable tyre centre! Good luck.

Never heard that one before and I've aligned hundreds of them. :

Old 27-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

Yeah my old mans NL Fairlane also needed the engine running to get a correct toe-in. The workshop manual says "On vehicles with power steering, the steering wheel must be in the straight-ahead position when the engine is switched off". We just take out the idiot factor when getting adjustments done by leaving the engine run. No arguements from the tyre centre anymore, and i drive away happy instead of returning 2 minutes later ****ed off.
greenguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #12
JOSH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

you have to be careful of not braking the clock spring in the steering wheel they try and straighten the wheels

Blue Power Racing Developments
(03) 93053000
Ray Prescott Auto
(02) 49902488
JOSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 01:33 AM   #13
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSH
you have to be careful of not braking the clock spring in the steering wheel they try and straighten the wheels

How????? The ignition isn't locked and the adjustments are done via the rackends or tierod adjusters, depending on whether it's a steering box or rack. The adjustments aren't done by a steering wheel. The wheels are placed on turn tables, which allows the front wheels to move freely. If the front wheels don't move freely on these plates, then this can cause a steering wheel to come out off-centred.

I've aligned thousands and thousands of power steer cars and have never had to have an engine running to do the job. The front wheels are placed on turn tables, which allow the wheels to turn freely. Once adjustment time comes, the steering wheel is locked in the straight ahead position and the adjustments are done from underneath. It's from these underneath adjustments that play apart in centralising the steering wheel. All the rest of these "theories" are absolute rubbish.

Next time people wish to make these claims of engines need to be running or you'll get a crooked steering wheel, or break something, have a look at an alignment hoist and the turn tables and understand how they work. Also understand how toe adjustments are done and how they play a part in the centralisation of a steering wheel. Then come on here and sprout