Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Chopped
as in chopped

Default GM developing twin-turbo 3.0L V6 ....

Source - http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/24/r...ight-ecoboost/

Report: GM developing twin-turbo 3.0L V6 to fight EcoBoost

" These are the days when V6 engines are getting all the love, and the reasons are obvious. Chrysler has finally got its Phoenix Pentastar V6 on, and down under General Motors recently rolled out the facelifted Commodore line with its 3.0-liter SIDI V6. The point is to provide solid power and go easy on the gas, and in the U.S. the V6 that's been making that point very well is Ford's 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost found in the Flex and Lincoln MKS and MKT.

GM's got its eye on that lump as it prepares a twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 engine provisionally called LF3, a derivative of the same High Feature LF1 V6 (pictured) in the new Commodore. According to GM Inside News, we should "expect the engine to rival" the EcoBoost. The Ford motor comes in at 350 horsepower and 355 pound-feet of torque, compared to the 3.0-liter SIDI V6 at 270 hp and 213 lb-ft.

Where would this engine appear? Up at this end of the Earth we can probably expect it in the newly confirmed Cadillac XTS (Cadillac worked with Holden to develop the HF1) and perhaps even the Cadillac ATS and the Camaro. Look for it in 2011 or 2012... hopefully."

Old 25-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

They've released a face lifted Commodore huh?

Can you show me it?
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton

Can you show me it?

You can't tell with the best facelifts !

I note that GM is dropping the 3.0ltr SIDI in the LaCrosse and offering either the 3.6ltr or the 2ltr Turbo. The 3.0ltr is unloved ! !
Old 25-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton

Can you show me it?

It's causing a dilemna for me, I want to flick the current ride, but holding out to see if Ford has come to its senses and will be offering a V8 Calais equivalent in a few months, while the VE looks the damned same as it did 4 years ago.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
It's causing a dilemna for me, I want to flick the current ride, but holding out to see if Ford has come to its senses and will be offering a V8 Calais equivalent in a few months, while the VE looks the damned same as it did 4 years ago.
Yes, the G8E is an annoying omission from the line, I hope Ford puts things right...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 02:37 AM   #6
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

When it comes to GM and V6's, i'm not going to hold my breath.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 05:52 AM   #7
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

It will be an absolute cracker if the Holden made 2.8 twin turbo is anything go by (check out the top gear review on the opel insignia VXR OPC, crap loads of power)

Yes the 3.0 is unloved but its a stop gap setup... Decisions are apparnelty being made on whether to turn it for the 3.6 and make the 2.8 the luxo engine (calais SV6 and stato) or wait around till the zeta lite comes out as it will be more suited to the lighter/smaller car.

I bags the 2.8 twin turbo though lol, more flexible power from twin turbo than any N/A or single turbo.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

From what ive read ZETA LITE is only a minor change to proportions and weight saving. It should be due in 2013. Is this right?
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
It will be an absolute cracker if the Holden made 2.8 twin turbo is anything go by (check out the top gear review on the opel insignia VXR OPC, crap loads of power)

Yes the 3.0 is unloved but its a stop gap setup... Decisions are apparnelty being made on whether to turn it for the 3.6 and make the 2.8 the luxo engine (calais SV6 and stato) or wait around till the zeta lite comes out as it will be more suited to the lighter/smaller car.

I bags the 2.8 twin turbo though lol, more flexible power from twin turbo than any N/A or single turbo.

Stoney!
GM's twin turbo V6 is going to be more expensive that Ford's Ecoboost V6,
the reason being that the EB V6 is going into cars as well as F Truck so costs
are amortized down but conversely, GM is wanting to keep the TT V6 a premium
engine so I doubt it will be used in trucks driving the cost higher.

Our Aussie Falcon I-6 Turbo looks low cost compared to these TT DI engines...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
roughnecks
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
From what ive read ZETA LITE is only a minor change to proportions and weight saving. It should be due in 2013. Is this right?
Sounds like a bad flavoured pack of lite chips zeta lite.

Some american bloke who works within gm was quoting 250-300 pounds in weight reduction.
roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post