Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Default Hobbies !!! _ Radio Control

watch this space . i'm going to get back into flying aeroplanes , and might try talking my son into nitro gas cars .
used to fly radio controlled aeroplanes havent for years cant wait to get back into it .
any good clubs with lots of area in sydney or surrounds that anyone flies at . please let me know .
i'm not getting into p i s sy electrics so need one that allows for gas engines and plenty of sapce for crashes - reality of a hobby so away from highways .
WHAT HOBBIES DO YOU PEOPLE OUT THERE PARTICIPATE IN ?? PICS VIDS WELCOME . HERE .

i'm giving th go karts up . in fact i have one here for 12 months and ive never had it off the stand . so it's obviously not my thing .

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Meg's GT's
1 is good but 2 is better

Try Hubertus Country Club out at Lludenham, I know they have RC planes, boats etc.
Anymore info just shoot me a PM.
Meg's GT's is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i'm not getting into p i s sy electrics so need one that allows for gas engines
don't know about planes, but electric cars will be every bit as quick, if not qicker than nitro these days and a lot less stuffing around.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
MAD
Petro-sexual

I used to fly electric planes a lot, have been off it for a while, but looking to get back to more regular flying soon.

I cant help you with the sydney area, but www.rcgroups.com has a big contingent of Aussies on there.

How long has it been since you've flown R/C planes? I ask because electric power isnt like it used to be, LIPO battery technology has come a long way and can put up a fight to the slimers on power and speed these days. There's a comp on rcgroups where they're currently up to 144MPH with an electric foam plane.
Old 26-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
gtfpv
GT

IT'S BEEN 11 years MAD . the friend i used to fly with has now become an electric fan , and flies them at parks . i want the piston engines . the electric seems too easy . ( buy and fly) type of thing . i want to put some effort in building /runningin/ tuning, etc etc . thanks for the info . i'll check out both the links .
electric doesnt do it for me .
Old 26-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
MAD
Petro-sexual

Fair enough, I guess its a probably a lot like turbo6 vs V8.
A lot of guys have both types I've noticed, they have their big scale (hours and hours and hours of building, tinkering, fixing, servicing, etc) planes, and their stable of small, quick set up, park size planes for the days they cbf heading to the club field, or for a cheap round of combat flying.
Old 26-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Electric nowadays absolutely crapss on fuel for power and performance.

But you can't beat nitro for the smell and sound. Its all about the experience.

My electric helicopters kick butt.... But they are too quiet and civilised. My 2 stroke gasser Helli is just awsome for sound and that feeling of raw power (Even though the electric has more torque).

And my 4 stroke planes are great too.

To sum up Electric gives you leading power and performance. Fuel gives you feeling and emotion and the smell of fuel burning (and anyone on this forum that does not like the smell of fuel burning should find another hobby)

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I'd like to get one these mini supermoto bikes when the funds allow, definitely not a cheap hobbie but looks like great fun.

http://www.youtube.com/user/beppebos.../7/Q5pgEfdcglQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7zgpiNPfWM
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I got back into model planes about 6 years ago, right into it now flying just about every weekend as the weather allows. Have 2 models with fourstrokes and one two stroke, all around 1.5 to 1.8m span.
Electric doesnt appeal to me at all mainly because they are too quiet. I like noise so I can hear what the motor is doing and dont need to worry about recharging batteries. Wouldnt mind a larger electric glider with a folding prop at some stage however.
The idea is not crash, by being thorough with your installation, not chancing anything and to concentrate the full time you are flying.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
Scott

Quote:
the friend i used to fly with has now become an electric fan..
Geez that's rough. Better than becoming a Washing Machine though I spose.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
jeez i laughed hard reading that mate . .
Old 26-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #12
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

I would love to get back into RC aircraft, has to be I/C, nothing beats the smell of nitro methane mixed with methanol, ahhhhh those were the days, would you start off with a trainer or do you still have any old aircraft from the "early days"? I used to have a .40 size trainer and then for some more fun moved to a .25 high wing trainer. used to be able to strip my motor down in A matter of minutes, i even built a flight box in the shape of a truck for the flight line so it didn't look like just another box.

The main thing keeping me from getting back into it is being an owner of 3 clevo powered cars hahaha. no planes for me anytime soon, unless a better job comes along.

Hangar 9 make an awesome mustang trainer with special air spoilers and slats to help make it a stable tail dragger trainer, comes complete with Radio and motor
http://www.modelflight.com.au/shop/p..._1-523-11.html

all the best with getting back into model flying!!!

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 04:09 AM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Got in R/C drifting not too long ago ... good fun.
Although I am running electric though .... I couldn't be stuffed mucking around with nitro engines and the like.

Still damn good fun though ... haven't been out in a while though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrules
The main thing keeping me from getting back into it is being an owner of 3 clevo powered cars hahaha. no planes for me anytime soon, unless a better job comes along.
i have a solution for you. offload one of those clevo powered things to me, and voila, RC aircraft here you come :
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83
Electric nowadays absolutely crapss on fuel for power and performance.
My brother has a 27cc HPI Baja 1/5th scale buggy i would like to see a electric crap on that
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Gold:
Old 27-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #17
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

There is a massive airfield type place at the back of Wedderburn, The sign out front says Model Airplane club of something something. You can see it from google maps, shouldn't be too hard to find.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #18
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I collect footy cards. Collection with a couple of grand at least...not bad considering most of my collecting has been in the past couple of years and I certainly have not spent that much...

Fair result.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #19
DABOSS
BA Black Edition

Over the years Ive come to have the following , 1/10 Kyosho V one evo RR race spec top speed 125kph.

1/8 Kysoho Landmax custom 4.6cc Novarossi engine 45000rpm , single speed but quite tall gearing and 1/8 scale wheels with rubber compond tread. 85kph.

1/5 Sonic Racing Hull Boat 26cc Zenoah Race build engine , with servo controlled caval plates, top speed dead flat lake 95kph.

here a vid first time out running it in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj3PZdrkQCg

All with digital servo's and controlled by the Futuba 3PK.

Plus one 2.4Ghz Airwold heli which I dont bother with. wife told me off for flying in the house. lol

And the good ol slot car track Scaletrix with over 20 cars to choose from and 52 meters of tracks, my nephew luvs it. I dont its too much to setup all the time but i do it anyway.

All of which havent seen the light of day for over 2 years there all in storage in a safe place. One day I take em out again.
DABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #20
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrules
I would love to get back into RC aircraft, has to be I/C, nothing beats the smell of nitro methane mixed with methanol, ahhhhh those were the days, would you start off with a trainer or do you still have any old aircraft from the "early days"? I used to have a .40 size trainer and then for some more fun moved to a .25 high wing trainer. used to be able to strip my motor down in A matter of minutes, i even built a flight box in the shape of a truck for the flight line so it didn't look like just another box.

Hangar 9 make an awesome mustang trainer with special air spoilers and slats to help make it a stable tail dragger trainer, comes complete with Radio and motor
http://www.modelflight.com.au/shop/p..._1-523-11.html

all the best with getting back into model flying!!!

thanks for the info mate . are you sure thats a trainer . ??? i'm tempted to grab it because it is similar to a sportstar 40. ( which is more like a 2nd plane)
i'll probably go back to basics and build an arf high wing trainer 46, with a bolt on wing symmetrical for rolling manuaveres and then something like your suggestion , and eventually move up to scale 90/120 fourstoke extra 300.
i'm getting excited thinking about it .
Old 27-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #21
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Yes, the Hangar 9 Mustang with the drooped leading edge can be used as a trainer. A guy in our club taught his 10 year old to fly with one.

Here's a link to more info on it (Aust. link) and photos to look at, but not sure if its still available: http://www.modelflight.com.au/hanger...ts_hangar9.htm

When I came back into the hobby some 6 years ago I bought a Kyosho Calmato low wing sport trainer which I put my old OS45ABC engine in it. Wore that motor right out and put a new OS46AX in it a few years ago. Have had hundreds of flights with it so far. Good model to relearn and fly about with.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #22
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

I'm actually half tempted to put some money aside and maybe lay buy one of those mussy's as model flight is across the road from where i work. maybe just put it aside for when i hope to get back into it. when i used to fly i was still in school so i didn't have the income to really support it. if you are looking for a couple fo good clubs in NSW, i can highlyh recommend the shoalhaven model flying club at nowra which is based in the moddle of the horse race track, they have a paved strip and a lake for flying boats.

I lived in penrith and used to fly at werrington park MAC but i don't know if they even still exist anymore.

Here in adelaide the best club i have seen is at hallet cove on the corner of majors road and lonsdale HWY. my worry about that club is as its close to the ocean, i'd be worried about updrafts throwing the plane arouind.

I found a picture of the trainer i used to have, was a lovely little trainer, i used a thunder tiger .25GP it was a great aircraft to fly very stabe with a semi symetrical wing. was cheap too at $125.00 a couple of years ago.

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.

Last edited by xbrules; 28-02-2010 at 01:01 PM.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #23
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoupedy
My brother has a 27cc HPI Baja 1/5th scale buggy i would like to see a electric crap on that
Ya want me to show ya.

Have you seen the batterys we can get lately. I could build an electric buggy that will hit 10,000rpm instantly with whats out now.

I hav a 27cc engine in my gasser Heli and the electric heli same size is a power torque monster

But ya still cant beat the sound and smell of fuel

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Old 02-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #24
gtfpv
GT

well i visited a model club on the weekend and seen a 46 size plane with an electric motor flying . it was impressive . no control box, no power board,no torque starter, no fuel pump, and glow gear, no noise, and no cleaning. with more instant power -no lag.
very impressive . if i get right into it . i'll have one to add to the list. these are the no fuss get out and fly now planes . but must have nitro powered 1st .
Old 02-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #25
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
well i visited a model club on the weekend and seen a 46 size plane with an electric motor flying . it was impressive . no control box, no power board,no torque starter, no fuel pump, and glow gear, no noise, and no cleaning. with more instant power -no lag.
very impressive . if i get right into it . i'll have one to add to the list. these are the no fuss get out and fly now planes . but must have nitro powered 1st .
The only downfall I find with electrics is recharge time, but with the price of batteries as they are, you can stockpile quite a few so you can alternate charging/flying packs for a full days flying.
Battery tech is also progressing and LiPo batteries are getting to a point where they can be safely fast charged. Initially they could only be charged at 1x their rated capacity (eg. 1 hr minimum charge time), but there are some out there that can be safely charged at 2x now. (eg. 30 mins minimum)
Old 02-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #26
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Not much space at home, so I'm more into the smaller R/Cs, like this Takara/Yokomo "Drift Package Light" Toyota AE86:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnpmJUgQ70k

When I shot this video, I hadn't quite mastered drifting yet.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #27
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

www.flyinggiants.com

Join this website. On the forums there is an australian section, with alot of regular members. Also gives you a good insite to whats good and whats not.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #28
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I have been looking into possibly purchasing an electric RC car lately just to muck around with. I am interested in a car that is a model of a real life car that is an on road type model. I was having a look on the net and found the HPI racing RTR Sprint 2 Flux brushless cars. Anyone know if these are any good or anyone got any recommendations? Sorry if I am hijacking the thread...........

XF Falcon S Update EFI - SOLD
EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Now rocking the SZ Territory Titanium Petrol Family Beast
PHATAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #29
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I've got a HPI Nitro RS4 laying around home...

Might try and fire it up one of these days...Wouldn't be suprised if the whole motor needs pulling down but.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #30
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

^^ I think most of my models will need engine overhaul. The day I got my ute the RC took a bit of a back seat.
Every time I go into the garage to play I get stuck doing something on the ute

BAII Super Pursuit 0083