Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Water In Passenger Footwell

Very quickly losing my patience with this car....... had it for 6 months and it seems to be one thing after another.

Car has started to stink inside recently so looked everywhere and couldn't find and half eaten mcdonalds burgers under the seats but then realised the passenger side carpet was damp when i lifted up the floormat. When I actually ripped up the carpet it is completely waterlogged with about a 1 or 2 inches of water. :

Now it's not coolant so it's not the heater core. It's either air con condensation or leaking rain water. We have had alot of rain in sydney recently but I have also used the air con heaps in the past 4 weeks or so.

Has anyone experienced this before? Specifically where should I look before I just throw money at someone to worry about it on my behalf?

Thanks in advance.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It sounds like the A/C drain may be blocked. Take a bit of a look at this thread:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=85075

Good luck!

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks mate I'll give it a look however...

Thinking about it last night I am more inclinded to think it is rain because firstly when I have the air con for a while and then park the car I can see water(condensation) dripping from underneath the car. This would indicate that the drain hole is operating as it should doesn't it?

Also I have driven around on stinking hot days with the air con with a passenger there and they have never mentioned about any water dripping down.

This is so frustrating >.<

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 10-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

perhaps the extra water on the road is getting in through the firewall somewhere, i have seen on the the odd occasion cracked spot welds mentioned something to do with the wiper motor mounting if i`m not mistaken , the fix was a bit of silastic i think on the offending crack, some one might be able to elaborate.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Mik. Had my mate around yesterday and we tried to work out where it was coming from. We ripped the washer bottle out and behind the washer bottle there are three grommets all to do with the air con/climate control i think.
- left one is a sponge like grommet
- middle is a big grey rubber grommet
- right one is a sponge again (i think this one houses the vacumn leads for the climate control)

We put a very low pressure hose in the general area of each one and kept a eye on the inside firewall with the carpet ripped up. In a nutshell it would appear it is the one on the far right with the vacumn hoses that seemed to be the culprit so we siliconed it up and will try again in a few days.

The only thing that is concerning me now, is when I think back to the one time ever when the passenger did mentioned they felt water, it dropped down like a brief yet big load(get your mind out of the gutter). When we held the hose against these three grommets it trickled down the firewall and underneath the carpet so maybe I haven't found the real problem? Where exactly is the grommet for the Aerial? Might have a look there aswell!

BTW: I will post pics soonish for future reference.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 11-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Don't forget that rubber grommet in the top of the B pillar. A mate of mine had an AU and when it rained, it would leak and he'd end up with a well full of water. Siliconed this up, and was all good again.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:06 AM   #7
Firebell AU3SR

Hi sd1800, I've got the same problem.I have siliconed everything around the same area but still leaks when it rains heavy.I think the next step for me is to remove the dash but since we have not received a good down pour for months & months i will leave it for now.See my old post

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ide+water+leak

and this one may help:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ide+water+leak
Firebell AU3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting.......and slightly depressing.

The silicon should have dried up by now so I'm going to put the hose on it again this afternoon.

This also might be of interest to us although I don't recall seeing a seam behind the washer bottle the other day..

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...water+footwell

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 12-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did anyone mention the windscreen?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
did anyone mention the windscreen?
Have held the hose for a few minutes around all areas of the windscreen and nothing seemed to leak. It was definetely leaking from the furthest right grommet behind the washer bottle so hopefully the silicon has fixed the problem.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 12-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1800
The only thing that is concerning me now, is when I think back to the one time ever when the passenger did mentioned they felt water, it dropped down like a brief yet big load(get your mind out of the gutter).
Absolute sure sign of blockage in the A/C drain - if a partial blockage you still get some runout when stopped, but enough so on a humid day it will back up.

Drain in the AU is reached from the engine bay, passengers side below the washer bottle between the two brake lines - about 10mm dia and 30mm long. Easy way to check is to get a length of 12mm hose, fit over the drain and blow...

Cheers

James
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #12
Firebell AU3SR

Thanks for the info sd1800, I will do a water test on the furthest right groment when I get a chance.Sorry I posted the same link twice in my previous post.The one you posted should of been my second link!!!
Firebell AU3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #13
T1TS50#04
XR 67 IS HEAVEN

do you have a sunroof by anychance my TS had 10 litters of water under the carpet and turned out the drain hoses run down the pillar and had come out and was pumping straight into the cab...
T1TS50#04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #14
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, no sunroof (I wish)

I have come to realise that I don't think any rain water can really get to where I suspected it before(the grommet for Climate control Vacumn cables) as I jammed a towel in between the windscreen and the bonnet in the area that it's leaking but water still entered the cabin.

I know I have said this before but I am now pretty confident it is coming through the grommet behind the ECU which houses the left side indicator cable (next to another grommet which houses the Aerial cable, however this one doesn't seem to leak)

If I hold a hose over it, it definetely leaks, and when it rains the trail of water seems to come from behind the ECU. I siliconed it up from the inside but I doubt this will work and will probably promote rust so I'm going to get at it from the wheel arch this afternoon me thinks......

I must get pictures up for people who come accross this in the future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd
Absolute sure sign of blockage in the A/C drain - if a partial blockage you still get some runout when stopped, but enough so on a humid day it will back up.

Drain in the AU is reached from the engine bay, passengers side below the washer bottle between the two brake lines - about 10mm dia and 30mm long. Easy way to check is to get a length of 12mm hose, fit over the drain and blow...

Cheers

James
I ran the aircon for 2 hours in 34 degree heat yesterday and not a drop so what I was referring to earlier must have been a extremely rare occrurance of condensation dripping on the passenger feet which I can deal with. I looked for the drain pipe with the engine running and air con on and could also see it ****ing out water quite heavily so everything there is working close to 100%.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 16-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in my apprentice days we used to use motorcraft caulking compound to seal up aerial holes , and general water leaks, sometimes use it to pump out weather strips, its sort of like black oily playdough that can be thinned with kerosene if needed, it does`nt promote rust, not sure what they use these days, local hardware should have something similar.
Old 21-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #16
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As promised here is the hole it was leaking from. Just behind the ECU it houses the cable for the left side indicator. Excuse my poor silicon skills but it was hard to get in there with the silicon gun lol.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 09-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #17
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Need Help!!!

Alright guys, it turns out where i silioned in the last post wasn't where it was leaking from either!! Although I think I may be on to something.

Can someone please run outside and near the left side bonnet strut can you please tell me if theres a rubber plug in one of the holes there? Mine seems to be missing but the right-hand side has one. If i stick a hose down there is ****es down the footwell.

Here is a photo of where I'm talking about.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 10-03-2010, 12:34 AM   #18
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should be a bolt there to hold the guard on

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #19
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
should be a bolt there to hold the guard on
You POSITIVE that specific spot is a bolt? On the opposite side it is a rubber plug?

Sorry for being a pest but I need to be 100%.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 10-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #20
Karnage
Finger Painter

If it isn't the a/c drain it will more then likely be your windscreen. Think about where the grommets and seams are located, for the volume of water you are talking about to come up through the firewall and then inside you would have to be driving through 2 foot of water. Our fairlane had the same problem, chased it around with a hose and couldn't find it, we tried light mists through to a high flow on the windscreen and didn't get a leak. Removed the carpet, a pillar covers etc etc, and found that it would only leak in rain. The water would run down from the top of the windscreen, down the a pillar and then accros the bottom of the windscreen before dripping down the firewall. The windscreen had obviously been replaced before we bought the car and one of the sponge rubber setting blocks was exposed under the rubber trim. Unfortunately you have to destroy the rubber trim to get to it.
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #21
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for your input karnage. If it turns out its not leaking from where the rubber plug/bolt should be I'll have to look at the windscreen closer.

As mentioned can someone please quickly run out and have a quick look and confirm whether it's a plug or a bolt? I need to know before I start chasing wrecks for a replacement.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 10-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #22
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for your input karnage. If it turns out its not leaking from where the rubber plug/bolt should be I'll have to look at the windscreen closer.

As mentioned can someone please quickly run out and have a quick look and confirm whether it's a plug or a bolt? I need to know before I start chasing wrecks for a replacement.
THese holes are for for jig alignment during manufacture only - heres a shot of my 99 AU1 update Fairmont Ghia that lives in FNQ; no leaks even in tropical rainstorms (4 inches of rain in an hour....)

Cheers

James
Old 10-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #23
Karnage
Finger Painter

Quote:

No worries, as Jimmd stated, that hole is open, and besides it goes into the wheel well, not internally anyway.
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #24
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage
No worries, as Jimmd stated, that hole is open, and besides it goes into the wheel well, not internally anyway.
That all makes sence, but even if i put a VERY LOW PRESSURE hose down there it still flows down the footwell. And I can easily see during rain how water would get down there(between the gap in the bonnet and the guard) Perhaps I have a small rust problem which has caused a leak down there?

I'm so over this :

P.s. thanks for the pic Jimmyd

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line

Last edited by sd1800; 10-03-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #25
220kWXR8 KID
bring back the 5litre

Have you considered looking under the cowl top plastic sheild. The cowl top is designed to channel the water which flows down the front windscreen, and on both sides there are drain holes which allow water to flow down the a-pillar, in the area between where the front door hing is and the rear of the front fender.
If there is a spot weld crack and the sealant is spilt AND a drain hole is blocked, water will surly flow down the dash/firewall and ie. wet carpet.
220kWXR8 KID is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #26
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
That all makes sence, but even if i put a VERY LOW PRESSURE hose down there it flows down the footwell. And I can easily see during rain how water would get down there(between the gap in the bonnet and the guard) Perhaps I have a small rust problem which has caused a leak down there?

I'm so over this :

P.s. thanks for the pic Jimmyd
Best thing I can suggest is to jack her up, pop of the left front wheel, remove the plastic inner guard liner and have a look.

How accurate is your aim into that hole - could you be spashing some across the plenum grille? lDrain holes sometimes block and ppol water = corrosion... Looks like a bit of corosion around your compliance late - could be an indicator to a larger concern.

Cheers

James
Old 10-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #27
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220kWXR8 KID
Have you considered looking under the cowl top plastic sheild. The cowl top is designed to channel the water which flows down the front windscreen, and on both sides there are drain holes which allow water to flow down the a-pillar, in the area between where the front door hing is and the rear of the front fender.
If there is a spot weld crack and the sealant is spilt AND a drain hole is blocked, water will surly flow down the dash/firewall and ie. wet carpet.
Damn your aquick typer, beat me to it
Old 10-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #28
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220kWXR8 KID
Yeah, I did that the other day. Pulled off the wipers and removed all the plastic at the bottom if the windscreen and held a hose there in the drain for quite a while to let it flood up but still didn't get a leak. The only place I could get it to leak was when i shoved the hose down the hole mentioned above.

Quote:
How accurate is your aim into that hole - could you be spashing some across the plenum grille?

Definetely no side-splash. I was very careful with that.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 10-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #29
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I did that the other day. Pulled off the wipers and removed all the plastic at the bottom if the windscreen and held a hose there in the drain for quite a while to let it flood up but still didn't get a leak. The only place I could get it to leak was when i shoved the hose down the hole mentioned above.

Definetely no side-splash. I was very careful with that.
Quote:
Best thing I can suggest is to jack her up, pop of the left front wheel, remove the plastic inner guard liner and have a look.
There are a few seams around that area - if you are ablsolutely certain putting water down that hole is replicating the problem it may be worthwhile biting the bullet and just unbolting and removing the guard to have a proper inspection - you will most likely find either a split seam or spotweld, possibly some corrosion around your A pillar to firewall seams

Cheers

James
Old 10-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #30
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
There are a few seams around that area - if you are ablsolutely certain putting water down that hole is replicating the problem it may be worthwhile biting the bullet and just unbolting and removing the guard to have a proper inspection - you will most likely find either a split seam or spotweld, possibly some corrosion around your A pillar to firewall seams

Cheers

James
From memory that hole leads into the upper boxed section - most likely to see a problem around the circled area

I know this is the rgiht side of a BA, but basically the same (abd is the only photo I could scare up on short notice...)

Cheers

James