Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Gift Voucher/card Redemption Rip Off

Just wanted to share an experience that I had the other day to see if it has happened to anyone else and get your thoughts.

Last christmas we were given a voucher to a shoe company (retail chain), during the year we never got around to using it so we went last week to use it.

Now it was only $50 so its not the end of the world, but for me its the principle of the matter.

Date of issue was 23/12/08, so naturally you would think that 23/12/09 would be the expiry. So we go up and use the voucher and the assistant states that the voucher is out of date, I said no look at the date of issue we still have a few days.

He checks it on the system again and sure enough no, sorry sir but this gift card is only valid for 3 months.

3 months!

So we had gone to the trouble of having the right shoes selected for our son (18 months) so we weren't about to say no we dont want it, I was fuming so I just handed the cash over and walked out.

Now in reality it was my fault, I shouldn't have assumed it was only for 3 months but to be honest Ive never heard of a gift card from a very large corporation only being valid for 3 months.

I mean what if we were on holidays or god forbid didn't have the spare time to visit there lovely establishment?

Worst still is that the person who paid for the voucher in the first place has just thrown $50 down the drain.

So what happens now? There must be so many cases of this happening and companies are pocketing the expired cards/vouchers, is it not border line stealing?

Far enough there should be a limit, im not saying you should be able to claim it 2 years later but 3 months is just silly. It was store credit and not a predetermined item which they could have brought at $x dollars.

This happened to anyone else? I would have been super ****ed if it was $100 or more.

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

I just got a card from the boss for xmas.

It says on the back 'expires 2 years from date of issue"

What does yours say?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I guess if there was no expiry date on the card anywhere, they should accept it. Most have a date on the card though.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Nope no expiry date like most others, just a date of issue. And then right at the bottom in tiny tiny writing it says valid 3 months and the usual T&C. It is there but its apparent that it was a deliberate move to confuse people.

As you just said, why dont they just have the expiring date in large font and not the date of issue?

To add to that imagine how many people lose the cards etc.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yeah I had an EzyDVD gift card a few years back - they went into receivership and to claim had to be done through their administrators - what a pain that was. I gave up in the end.

I bet companies love gift cards as it is really free money for them alot of the time.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That does suck... in the past I have had people honour late gift vouchers by re-issuing the date.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Its why you should never give a voucher or gift card, as its no different to handing over cash, and you are not locking that person into a specific store or good....just give cash.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
Its why you should never give a voucher or gift card, as its no different to handing over cash, and you are not locking that person into a specific store or good....just give cash.
Piffle!
Coles Myer gift vouchers work for me... The range of places you can redeem them at is amazing. All my employees got one for Chrissie...
If I'd given cash to equal the amount of the voucher, the cost would have virtually doubled with tax implications.
With such diverse religions in the workforce nowadays, gone are the days of a ham and a slab of beer.
Anyhow.. Back on topic... I'd phone the shoe company head-quarters and state my case... The vouchure WAS paid for in hard earned!...
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #9
SVD

complain to the ACCC dude, that way you can still have your revenge! (at least in your mind anyway...) its what i do when i get ripped...
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Gift vouchers are the biggest scam ever, these companies rely on you to forget about them and not redeem within the time limit. Otherwise they wouldnt have expiry date as after all, it was payed for in real cash, its not like its a promotional voucher.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #11
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
it says valid 3 months and the usual T&C. It is there but its apparent that it was a deliberate move to confuse people.
'If it is written there they are not trying to confuse anyone, good luck with the accc suggestion wont get you anywere if that is clearly stated on the card.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #12
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
With such diverse religions in the workforce nowadays, gone are the days of a ham and a slab of beer.
I am not offended by either...may I please have mine? :P

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #13
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most decent cards last two years, allowing ample time to spend the card.

3 months is crappo, with a hint of thyme and mint yoghurt.

You should ALWAYS check AS SOON as you get the card/voucher, so that there are no misconceptions about how long you have to redeem it.

I have several vouchers, and I know when they expire. It sucks, but that's life Poly.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 01:43 AM   #14
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Yeah I had a voucher that was valid for 6 months from a large shoe chain. That was also a waste of 50 bucks on behalf of the purchaser.

You just have to be careful with them nowadays.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #15
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Piffle!
Coles Myer gift vouchers work for me... .
Me too,
Visy industries gave there Australian employees $75ea most used them at 1st choice liquor... : :baby bott :baby bott

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 01:55 AM   #16
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_by_ford
'If it is written there they are not trying to confuse anyone, good luck with the accc suggestion wont get you anywere if that is clearly stated on the card.
Not really a waste of time. If he contacts Consumer Affairs and states his case, perhaps something can be worked out since it was an honest mistake. The store may back down a little and honour half or something like that. It's worth a try.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #17
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Call up the head office and talk to them first. Most will give you either a new one or an extension for a short period.

Most outlets do put an expiry date on them to stop people coming back years later to use them. as to the legality of them enforcing it, I'm not sure if they can. They have your money, they should provide a product in return. (not just a piece of card)

We had some movie passes that had expired 6 mths ago and Village happily extended them for another month for us. haha, a month later we called back and had them extended for another month and used them then.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #18
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

Well I know, that at Ray's Outdoors, (where I work) we actively tell people that our gift cards have NO expiry, they're good forever.
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #19
Gaz
Got Ghia?

I thought there was some previous ruling about expiry dates because they often say 'treat this voucher as cash'? However I may have just been imagining some fairly land where companies don't rip you off!
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post