Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Default Focus disaster

The Melbzetec Focus is in a sorry state.

Looks like three piston rings are damaged, and I'm up for an engine rebuild.

(Plus starter motor is fried, but that's another story)

Not easy to rebuild either. Ford don't sell rods and pistons. (Only short motors at $5700!!!!) And it is difficult to get aftermarket pistons that don't either (a.) drop compression, or (b.) raise compression to levels that need race gas.

Looks like custom forged pistons from the US, and about two months out of action (and a BIG hole in the wallet : ).

Small Ford Sunday is looking shaky this year

Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
stackaj1
Starter Motor

Thats bad news!! especially after all the work youve done,
seems you will keep it and continue the Melbzetec focus journey, fair call too! must be tempting to get that RS over in Wellington though!!
hope you can get it sorted out without to much hassle.
stackaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

That is really sorry news....What happened? What caused the damage? If you rebuild it the same as it was before, could it happen again??
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
The Melbzetec Focus is in a sorry state.

Looks like three piston rings are damaged, and I'm up for an engine rebuild.

(Plus starter motor is fried, but that's another story)

Not easy to rebuild either. Ford don't sell rods and pistons. (Only short motors at $5700!!!!) And it is difficult to get aftermarket pistons that don't either (a.) drop compression, or (b.) raise compression to levels that need race gas.

Looks like custom forged pistons from the US, and about two months out of action (and a BIG hole in the wallet : ).

Small Ford Sunday is looking shaky this year

Nooooo!! . . . . really feel for you mate. :

Will you rebuild to former glory or would you consider stepping over to the dark side (XR5)? :dr_Evil:

Had my fat **** in one the other day and it felt goood. They really are a nice car.

Fredo

Late 2005 LS CL, 5spd Manual, 5 Door, Titanium Grey
To Do List:-
:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
:- 2.25" Cat Back (DONE) :- DBA Brake upgrade (DONE)
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
melbzetec

Would love to step into an XR5, but really can't afford it at the moment.

The Zetec is worth bugger all with a busted engine, so I'd get nothing for it without repairing it.

Rebuild will probably cost me about $5000, but it should be stronger (Forged pistons, shot peened rods, ARP bolts) , I'll go with a higher compression (11:1), and take the opportunity to fit the Quaife torque sensing diff I have sitting in the garage.
I have toyed with the idea of a supercharger (I can get my hands on a port and polished Powerworks at the moment), but I'm sick of unreliability, so would rather build a bulletproof NA engine
We're not really sure of what the problems are, or what caused it until we pull the engine down, but compression is gone in 3 cylinders, and really high in the 4th. Go figure. Also hard (impossible?) to start on some days (guess how I fried the starter motor!!) and losing some coolant...head gasket or block?

All in all a PITA
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Last edited by melbzetec; 03-12-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Gotcha Melbz,
Makes my throttle issue very trivial indeed.
Fredo

Late 2005 LS CL, 5spd Manual, 5 Door, Titanium Grey
To Do List:-
:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
:- 2.25" Cat Back (DONE) :- DBA Brake upgrade (DONE)
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Crappy, crappy news Steve. (in fact when I saw the title of this thread I was genuinely worried you'd been playing can opener with a truck again)

it seems odd that the engine has lunched three rings at the same time. While we can only speculate, it sounds like something has been getting into the combustion chamber ie a leaking head gasket, or worse, a cracked head.

Wait a minute, you've got higher comp in one piston? And is it low or a complete loss in the other three?
To speculate once again, I suspect somethings amiss in your valve train.

It's also very odd that you can't get rings too. You'd think an engine that is getting on eight years old would have these parts readily available.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

V8 Focus
Old 03-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Quote: "V8 Focus".

Or failing that idea, have you contemplated the possibility of dropping a crate engine in it i.e. a Cosworth? Just an idea but nevertheless I feel very sorry for your situation as we all know that your Focus is a work in progress and I've always regarded it as a "work of art". Something that I'd be very proud to own, for sure.

Hope it is all sorted in the long run.

Eddie.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
melbzetec

Rob Herrod has checked the valvetrain and all is in order.

I do have a theory. A bout a week prior to the engine becoming sluggish, I put a bottle of Techron in to clean the injectors.

Now, I'm wondering, IF there was a carbon build up around the rings, MAYBE the techron softened the carbon deposits, exposing the worn piston rings??? Probably not, but just a thought.

Do Cosworth do a crate engine Eddie? I'd love to know. I know they do a Duratec, but not aware of a Zetec.

I can buy a brand new Zetec engine from the States at the moment for US$850, but the shipping would be horrendous, and your only getting a bog basic engine

There are a couple of strong short motors being offered in the US, but they are low compression(for forced induction) and again frieght will be huge.

At this stage, a rebuild looks like the best option

Old 03-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Do Cosworth do a crate engine Eddie? I'd love to know. I know they do a Duratec, but not aware of a Zetec.
I did look up the cosworth website not that long ago to look for just that. I browsed through their catalogue but sadly couldn't make sence of their products.

The Zetec engine has been around a little longer that the Duratec and since it's not aluminum like the duratec, it can be pushed harder. I'd be surprised if they don't do one.

I suppose you'll just have to ring. The focus community are dying to know....

Old 03-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

It might be worth taking a look at shipping from the US. I was quoted 130pounds for shipping a new duratec crate motor from the UK
Old 03-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #13
melbzetec

That's good info Piotr.

Thanks. Reputation points for you!

Old 03-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #14
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a Zetec engine on ebay at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-0Lt-Ford-Fo...item3efab9de16
Old 03-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #15
819_FLY

Caterham R500 Engine Perhaps????

Sucks about your misfortune mate, seemed like it was supposed to last a little longer then it has. Hope you can get it sorted soon.

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #16
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by leakey
There's a Zetec engine on ebay at the moment.

Thanks Leakey. He's asking a bit much though. Going rate for a Focus engine is about $650 (albeit with more k's)...but you really don't know what problems you're buying.

But really appreciate the heads up

Old 03-12-2009, 11:39 PM   #17
melbzetec

whoo hoo! The God's may be smiling! Just found this on UK ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MakeTrack=true

Brand new Zetec short motors. 10 available. Under 280 quid.

Have just sent a message to get a cost on freight

Old 04-12-2009, 02:02 AM   #18
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Quote:
whoo hoo! The God's may be smiling! Just found this on UK ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MakeTrack=true

Brand new Zetec short motors. 10 available. Under 280 quid.

Have just sent a message to get a cost on freight
Well you wouldnt have to worry about reliability if you brought 10 motors lol :
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 02:23 AM   #19
Fez WQ

Focus motor for you maybe
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #20
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
Well you wouldnt have to worry about reliability if you brought 10 motors lol :

Old 04-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #21
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Steve, Have a look through www.streetperformance.com

There MAY be something of interest in there. Just a though.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #22
melbzetec

Thanks Eddie. Good site

Old 04-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #23
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Hi mate, shattering news. The short motor from the UK looks good, I only hope freight doesn't blow a hole in the wallet.

Here's another thought - is there are stroker kit for the Zetec?

Cosworth definitely don't do Zetec engines, just 2.0L and 2.3L crate engines. It would be a dream to have one of these under the hood - high compression ratios (up to 13:1), but backed up by Cosworth's forged internals.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #24
FORD5

sorry to here the focus is down and disabled, best of luck bud
FORD5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #25
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Any more development/s on sorting out your "problem"???

Old 08-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #26
melbzetec

I've just ordered a brand new short motor from the UK.

Great price 280 pound. Air freight a frightening 370 pound. But all up about A$1200. (Not bad compared to Ford Australias $5700 price!)

Rob Herrod is reorganizing the workshop at the moment (new dyno I think) so really doesn't have room to hold the car. This way, it is a straight swap in and swap out, and now worries about rebuilding the bottom end.

I've also got a 2001 US Intake manifold coming (flows a little better), and will probably get a different custom tune from the states (one of Tom's tunes for anyone that frequents Focusfanatics).

I'll take the opportunity to get the Quaife LSD fitted when the motors out.

Doubt whether it will be done by Christmas however

Old 08-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #27
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Doubt whether it will be done by Christmas however
Maybe not christmas but how about feb 7th?

Sounds like the engine was a bargin. I'm sure you'll be happy once you get it back on the road.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #28
melbzetec

Half a chance for Feb 7.

Photn.....where are my brake knuckles??? :P

Old 08-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #29
Woodsa

did you check the head gasket and head stuff first... could just be a rooted gasket? and water in the 4th? just an idea..
Woodsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #30
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Good to hear there's some progress with the car. Are you planning on re-installing the Ford Racing Head??

Also, you'll have to let us know what you think about the Intake Manifold in comparison to the Pipercross Viper jobbie as I might be interested in one myself if it's a good fit and easy to install.