Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Registering a car and fines.

I'm borrowing my mates car to drive for the next couple of months and he's told me he needs to renew the rego.

He has 3 or so unpaid speeding fines and was wondering if this could pose a problem with renewing the registration on the car, it only expired a week ago so no RWC required.

Is it relevant at all? Will they block the rego until his fines are paid?

Cheers.

Old 15-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Flashing lights and sirens will sound when the cars VIN is input to the system, some burly types in blue pj's will appear and restrain you, drag you kicking and screaming into an interrogation room, then proceed to question you about your possible involvement in a spate of ATM burglaries around the country. Meanwhile...

Um, I doubt it genius, but why not phone the relevant authority and ask them, you realise the answers you get on here will be as factual as mine.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on your state and how old the fines are.

In NSW for example the final step for the SDRO is to stop you dealing with the RTA. This means rego and license cancelled, and you can't renew until you take action to repay the fines and penalties.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
Cappy_Hamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8
Depends on your state and how old the fines are.

In NSW for example the final step for the SDRO is to stop you dealing with the RTA. This means rego and license cancelled, and you can't renew until you take action to repay the fines and penalties.
Ditto for SA

Cappy_Hamper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

this might help man...

http://online.fines.vic.gov.au/fines...x?page=107&s=1

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101
Flashing lights and sirens will sound when the cars VIN is input to the system, some burly types in blue pj's will appear and restrain you, drag you kicking and screaming into an interrogation room, then proceed to question you about your possible involvement in a spate of ATM burglaries around the country. Meanwhile...

Um, I doubt it genius, but why not phone the relevant authority and ask them, you realise the answers you get on here will be as factual as mine.
Can someone delete this post?

First of all no need to be a dick, but I guess that's a challenge in motion.

There's a great possibility that at least 1 person on here has had to renew their rego whilst having unpaid fines. Fines are a common thing to some and rego is once a year for everyone on here. I do not want to call vicroads for obvious reasons.

And a big thank you to the 3 of you who were actually a great help.
He hasn't received am infringement warrant from memory so hopefully it's fine.
Old 15-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You ask this question AFTER you do an engine swap into this car of your mates???
Priorities a little mixed up?
My advice is sage, do yourself a favour and pick up the telephone, the vic.gov.au site is very helpful but you may interpret it's advice incorrectly.
Why worry about ringing up, I don't get it???
Old 15-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #8
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Slotted front rotors for the TTG write-up and pics. 

Umm i missed the part about an engine swap?

Try rego the car and see if they block it. Unless the fines are way overdue it's unlikely it has gotten to that stage.

Borla ATAK axle back exhaust.
Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
X Lume illuminated grille badge.
Injen CAI.
FPVF6X201 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 01:04 AM   #9
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101
You ask this question AFTER you do an engine swap into this car of your mates???
Priorities a little mixed up?
My advice is sage, do yourself a favour and pick up the telephone, the vic.gov.au site is very helpful but you may interpret it's advice incorrectly.
Why worry about ringing up, I don't get it???
Yeah I did, purely on the basis of what you said in your first post, because as you said, there's no way the 2 could be related and I'm a moron for even considering it

Now I've said that I need to explain to every one else that he told me he had unpaid fines 3 days ago. I guess I should've already asked him if the rear stabiliser bar left lower bush would pass a RWC too?

I don't want to bring him under the vicroads radar, as the restriction doesn't apply to everyone (the individual is reviewed) I'd have to give them my mates rego number to see if he infact fell under that category and that could stuff everything. And yes I wouldn't expect you to get that.
Old 16-10-2009, 01:28 AM   #10
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

gee that is harsh rules down there, in qld they don't do that as yet but do suspend you licence until you pay the fine or start a payment scheme.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I think that you can't renew rego in Vic with overdue unpaid fines outstanding, but not sure. You can renew rego up to either 75 or 90 days after the due date without having to get an RWC.

Note that currently the car is unreg - there is no 'grace' period any more.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Call them up - give them all the details about the car/engine swap/fines.

Don't give them any rego/names or anything. They will still answer you without it..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
I'm borrowing my mates car to drive for the next couple of months and he's told me he needs to renew the rego.

He has 3 or so unpaid speeding fines and was wondering if this could pose a problem with renewing the registration on the car, it only expired a week ago so no RWC required.

Is it relevant at all? Will they block the rego until his fines are paid?

Cheers.

I had the same problem 6 months ago , I had unpaid fines needed my car rego'd and did not want to pay a couple fines because i was disputing them.
I rang vic roads they said itwas only a issue when you have a warrant for failing to turn up to court . She also said even then they had no way of knowing.
But the rule only just came in and the lady was not real confindent on the subject.
I had fines up to 3 years old . Went in there had my ute rego'd and not a question asked on the day .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #14
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Call them up - give them all the details about the car/engine swap/fines.

Don't give them any rego/names or anything. They will still answer you without it..
^^^Better explanation, goodonya Fev.
How did this thought not occur to you?!?!?
But seriously I apologise for being a dick, it just controls my logic sometimes. And it seems to be smarter than you...
Old 16-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #15
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
I had the same problem 6 months ago , I had unpaid fines needed my car rego'd and did not want to pay a couple fines because i was disputing them.
I rang vic roads they said itwas only a issue when you have a warrant for failing to turn up to court . She also said even then they had no way of knowing.
But the rule only just came in and the lady was not real confindent on the subject.
I had fines up to 3 years old . Went in there had my ute rego'd and not a question asked on the day .
Just beware that the sky may fall on your head if the POLICE pull you over for a random looksee, it could bite you on the **** then. If they are legitimate fines that you/owner of vehicle just forgot/refuse to pay that is.

Last edited by XDV800; 16-10-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 16-10-2009, 11:37 PM   #16
nokiaking

For anyone in act i had to pay a parking fine before they would let me put rego on my car
nokiaking is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post