Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default physical fitness dangers of pushing too hard

After quite a few weeks off running due to rain up here ..last Tuesday I went for a good walk in the morning and then decided to run.My heart rate fitness monitor was on my wrist . I ran for 10 seconds and my heart rate hit 195 beats per minute..I immediately stopped and got extreme chest pain and off to hospital I went. 2 days later I was discharged.Luckily I was ok. It seems however though that a 4 week break from running was long enough to decondition me enough so that I had to start from walking again to build it back up.. My heart could have well been damaged but for the heart rate monitor.
I really wanted to post this up so people are aware that exercise can be dangerous unless you ease back into it...

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
Black XR
Narooma blue XR8 ute

Good to hear your ok Stav
Black XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
FPV GT40
Banned

Intersting.....just to keep things into perspective how old are you????

I am in my early 40's and run 3-5Km's whenever I feel like it, sometimes 4 times a week sometimes 1 times per week, had a few weeks off lately due to work and illness, but I have never used one of these monitors you mention.

I would not even know what the numbers mean, is 195 bad then obviously??

What should it be??

What did they say at the hospital??

I am interested as I have thought about this sometimes, ie, go for a run and drop dead of a heart attack, as I live in a very hilly area, and often push myself quite hard ie sprint up hills, get to the top and feel ill, vomit, walk and then run some more, as I have trained like that most of my life since I was 15, so I am sort of used to it, but getting older now, but still feel 20.

Not being smart, but you do not run in the rain??? Try it, its great, its only water, does no harm at all, and the water running down your face can actually be consumed while you are running providing extra liquid. Just have a shower as soon as you get back, dry off and put some dry cloths on, and you will feel great. Very invigoration.

Last edited by FPV GT40; 06-07-2009 at 12:26 AM.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I am 40 and had a heart attack 3 years ago . My safe heart rate is up around 165 and it normally takes 20 minutes to reach.So 195 in a few seconds and then followed by chest pain I did the right thing. Ifind that running in the rain in the freezing cold tends to give people hypoithermia and this is something i would like to avoid when the temps are 6 degrees..

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 06-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
FPV GT40
Banned

This it what worries me, you are about the same age as me.....did you start running because you had the heart attack a few years back??

I would not run at 6 degrees at all, even with no rain, too freaking cold.

You know more about this heart thing than me, might have to look into it, just to be on the safe side. I might have to get some professional advise on this as I have thought about the possibility a few times.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

6 degrees is great to run in. My wife and i regularly run on a sunday morning in the cold- it is a no-sweat run!

As for deconditioning, 3 weeks is enough to become severely deconditioned. If you have already had 1 heart attack, you need to be exercising 5 times a week no matter what. Buy a treadmill or an exercise bike. You cannot afford not to be doing aerobic workouts.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Lost Down Under

A treadmill is a great investment. No excuse for not using it once you have it and when used in combination with a heart rate monitor you can control the abuse you deal out to yourself.
I am also on the low side of 40. I race quads and it is very demanding. 195 BPM during a race is fairly standard.
With the treadmill I can hold my heart rate between 150 - 160 BPM for 10 minute stints and then drop to around 140- for a while before going back up again.
Lost Down Under is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Good to hear your ok Stav thankfull for your heart rate monitor
Old 06-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

good to hear you are okay...i would take it easy if i were you...but yeah, your right about the fitness part...if you train all week and take the next week off, you basically wasted your time the previous week....to maintain your fitness you need to train at least 3 times a week..if i were you, i would do some light jogs about 3 times a week..dont push yourself, esp since you had a minor heart attack previously...keeping fit is important for a healthy lifestyle!
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

glad to hear you are OK.

your MAX heart rate should be 220 - your age (MAX heart rate).

i also hate how it takes only days or even a week to loose months worth of effort you have put in..

God's cruel joke i guess.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to heart you're OK Stav.

I agree that you need to ease back in to it.....I'm 46 and for the past 5 years have done around 4 gym visits on average a week consisting of 30 mins cardio and 20 mins weights. I also do smallish jogs of around 4kms each 3 times a week in my local area. In the past 6-7 weeks I've had a flu virus which I can't seem to shake. After having done no exercise for 4 weeks I went back to the gym and after 10 mins on the treadmill was rooted....I'm not overweight and eat a fairly healthy diet so consider myself fairly fit despite being an ex smoker having only given up 5 months ago.

It won't take long to get back to your previous level of fitness though.

I recall training for the City to Surf a few years back and was jogging 10kms 3 times a week in around 45 mins...Subsequent stress fracture to the foot meant I was out for 3 months....However within 2 weeks of coming back i was back to my usual fitness levels, so you dont lose it totally....I'd say rest up and ease into it

Good luck
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After many broken bones and hanging the boots up from motorcross racing recently, im now a 105kg. Ive started running as much as my body will take, its still healing from the long term abuse but after a year off and going straight into running ive never had a issue. My running heart rate 120, i was a little worried about this. Went to the Doc he, he was amazed my heart is really strong and my resting heart rate was 56 beats a minute.

But ive only been running 3x 3km runs a week.

Little frustrating that i could run a half marathon a few years back and now it just wont happen.

Good luck stav, get back into it.
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Take it easy Stav... my mother is currently in hospital from a minor heart attack and luckily she is fine. The heart is a delicate yet vital organ.

Incidentally, can someone explain to me the numbers given with blood pressure, ie 123 over 345, what do they mean?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Take it easy Stav... my mother is currently in hospital from a minor heart attack and luckily she is fine. The heart is a delicate yet vital organ.

Incidentally, can someone explain to me the numbers given with blood pressure, ie 123 over 345, what do they mean?
i googled that and this is what it came back with:
Quote:
The HIGHER figure is the blood pressure at the moment when the heart is actually in the middle of the beat

The LOWER figure is the blood pressure IN BETWEEN beats.

The higher figure is called "the systolic" and the lower figure is called the "the diastolic". Both of them are important. But the higher (systolic) figure is more easily affected by things like whether you are a bit worried or upset at that particular moment.
im 24 and i have not exercised in about 6 months, i get pains in my chest on and off, but brush it off as maybe muscle pain, too young to have a heart attack :P
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #15
Robos F6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOJ
After many broken bones and hanging the boots up from motorcross racing recently, im now a 105kg. Ive started running as much as my body will take, its still healing from the long term abuse but after a year off and going straight into running ive never had a issue. My running heart rate 120, i was a little worried about this. Went to the Doc he, he was amazed my heart is really strong and my resting heart rate was 56 beats a minute.

But ive only been running 3x 3km runs a week.

Little frustrating that i could run a half marathon a few years back and now it just wont happen.

Good luck stav, get back into it.
Running heart rate of 120bpm, are you surely pushing yourself or are you just plain fit? I find running gets my heart rate up the most of any exercise. I love spin classes as they are easy on the joints as i suffer from achilles problems when i run. My heart rate generally maxes out at 170-180bpm when i am flat out on the bike. Generally average it out at about 135bpm. I am also 40.
Robos F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #16
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
i googled that and this is what it came back with:

im 24 and i have not exercised in about 6 months, i get pains in my chest on and off, but brush it off as maybe muscle pain, too young to have a heart attack :P
Mate your never too young to have a heart attack! If its bad get it checked out.

I've heard of super fit guys in the teens/early 20's having heart attacks. Its generally because of a genetic thing. Weak heart valve or a stutter or something. IT CAN AND DOES happen to anyone!
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #17
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robos F6
Running heart rate of 120bpm, are you surely pushing yourself or are you just plain fit? I find running gets my heart rate up the most of any exercise. I love spin classes as they are easy on the joints as i suffer from achilles problems when i run. My heart rate generally maxes out at 170-180bpm when i am flat out on the bike. Generally average it out at about 135bpm. I am also 40.
I used to clock up 12km in a afl footy game. Proper running mate, apparently the doctor said even though im fat, i haven't lost my fitness after a year??? dont know how.

I want to get down to 70kg i was 115kg. I was a bit of a geoff huegal.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #18
bingoTE50
Steve

Quote FPV40

What should it be??

I am interested as I have thought about this sometimes, ie, go for a run and drop dead of a heart attack, as I live in a very hilly area, and often push myself quite hard ie sprint up hills, get to the top and feel ill, vomit, walk and then run some more, as I have trained like that most of my life since I was 15, so I am sort of used to it, but getting older now, but still feel 20.

Gday Mate,
The vomiting is a result of your blood pressure dropping very quickly after being up to near its max. Really you should not be doing this.
Your maximum heartrate is 220 less your age.( for the average athlete)
You should be aiming to keep your rate at around 70% - 80% of this .( ask a professional though)
I would have a check up ,checking your cholesterol,blood pressure,and if need be a stress test, if you experience this nauseness often.
I am a similar age too you and is wise to use a heart monitor.The type of training you are doing is a form of Fartlek training. Google it for some more help . Good luck
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 12:06 AM   #19
Stav
Smile

I appreciate your replies guys thanks.. I do run in 6 degree mornings but not i the rain thats all. I went this morning already for a gentle jog so holding an easy heartrate of around 140 to 155 until it gets easy and my fitness is back up.SGt bourne..yes mate it is cruel how our fitness can disspear so quick with a little break..However I am a man on th emove so will safely continue my weights and running..It is good to have some fitness..

Old 07-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #20
gtfpv
GT

mate glad to hear your well STAV . i am going to rock the boat here a little guys . i'm not sure jogging is good to do at our age . ( we lose our fitness to quickly if we stop)
the couple across the road are sport freaks and have been fit all thier lives . the male 50 could outrun a fit 30 year old , he has just switched to bike riding after 40 years of running, his wife 44 a fitness runner, gave up about 4 years ago due to bad back. both were extreme fitness freaks , both have given away running on doctors advice .
me myself hat running, i jog occasionaly , you can get fit in a week or 2, but stop for a week and thats it . i walk now and row.
myself being of a fair fitness and stature was ridiculed about 1 year ago on a treadmill , i was training hard when a physiotherapst walked in in shear shock .
i was running like a 20 year old. i was shpown that my heartrate was way over normal,and shown how to train like a 40 year old ( its a lot easier ) however i'm sure if i was an athletic 50 year old the runner there may not have been to much shock there .
just putting my point down unless your a life long training resume then dont train like you did when you were younger .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 12:31 AM   #21
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
Quote FPV40

What should it be??

Gday Mate,
The vomiting is a result of your blood pressure dropping very quickly after being up to near its max. Really you should not be doing this.
Your maximum heartrate is 220 less your age.( for the average athlete)
You should be aiming to keep your rate at around 70% - 80% of this .( ask a professional though)
I would have a check up ,checking your cholesterol,blood pressure,and if need be a stress test, if you experience this nauseness often.
I am a similar age too you and is wise to use a heart monitor.The type of training you are doing is a form of Fartlek training. Google it for some more help . Good luck
Usualy only feel ill if I ate too much or drank too much or too soon before training.

Have had all the above done and have written reports on all of them, as it is part of my job to keep in shape and good health. My cholesterol is well below average, and my last stress test ECG report stated that I had exteme resistance to exercise stress....as appearently my heart settles into a pace and then just stays there no matter what, do not ask me what it was though, I must dig the report out some day and see. Not blowing my own horn but I remember the doctor saying that he had never seen anyone at the level on the machine...I did not take much notice though as I was 40 at the time, and figured he would have a lot of 60-80 year olds on that machine, so it did not really mean much to me at the time.

The hill sprints is the only way I can push myself, as just running on flat ground seems to do nothing to increase my fitness. its the same as treadmills, they seem to do the running for you...

Anyway I will look into it a bit more and might try one of these monitors, just to get some feed back on what is happening.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:32 AM   #22
jonk

If your heart rate/pulse monitor hits 195 so quickly there is something wrong with 'it'. I had one that use to regularly hit 200. It's a built in fault in all of them so you don't over do it. The rated tolerance has blown out and this is how they cover their backside's.

This was from the Polar tech in Adelaide.

Long time ago bought the 'Heart Rate Monitor Guide Book' by Sally Edwards. The forward in it is from Crows coach Neil Craig. She spends most of the book, explaining how conventional medicine has it wrong with 'graduated' pulse rate scales and people's age's. Maybe why Craig has the fittest side in the comp' and has had for a while...
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #23
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
If your heart rate/pulse monitor hits 195 so quickly there is something wrong with 'it'. I had one that use to regularly hit 200. It's a built in fault in all of them so you don't over do it. The rated tolerance has blown out and this is how they cover their backside's.

This was from the Polar tech in Adelaide.

Long time ago bought the 'Heart Rate Monitor Guide Book' by Sally Edwards. The forward in it is from Crows coach Neil Craig. She spends most of the book, explaining how conventional medicine has it wrong with 'graduated' pulse rate scales and people's age's. Maybe why Craig has the fittest side in the comp' and has had for a while...

sorry i dont understand any of this post can you clarify it a little better ? how does conventional medicine have it wrong ? does this mean people with very high heart rates at rest, say 140 are keeping fit doing nothing at all.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #24
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
mate glad to hear your well STAV . i am going to rock the boat here a little guys . i'm not sure jogging is good to do at our age . ( we lose our fitness to quickly if we stop)
the couple across the road are sport freaks and have been fit all thier lives . the male 50 could outrun a fit 30 year old , he has just switched to bike riding after 40 years of running, his wife 44 a fitness runner, gave up about 4 years ago due to bad back. both were extreme fitness freaks , both have given away running on doctors advice .
me myself hat running, i jog occasionaly , you can get fit in a week or 2, but stop for a week and thats it . i walk now and row.
myself being of a fair fitness and stature was ridiculed about 1 year ago on a treadmill , i was training hard when a physiotherapst walked in in shear shock .
i was running like a 20 year old. i was shpown that my heartrate was way over normal,and shown how to train like a 40 year old ( its a lot easier ) however i'm sure if i was an athletic 50 year old the runner there may not have been to much shock there .
just putting my point down unless your a life long training resume then dont train like you did when you were younger .
Thats cool mate
I was joking to some of my customers that I would be healthier drinking beer and not running lol.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #25
Stav
Smile

At our age we must be a bit more careful..true..

Old 07-07-2009, 12:58 AM   #26
jonk

gtfpv, the book points out the rather rigid/dogmatic view medicine has with heart rate and exercise.

Sally basically points out that the human heart can easily work to rate's of 220 in elderly people, and that maximum heart rate is not dependent on age or any single factor. That mainstream quacks cause more damage by limiting each age group to 'specific heart rates' in exercise routines.

"say 140 are keeping fit doing nothing at all" Fast heart rate is only one indicator... what's their whole body metabolism ? That's a more reliable measure.

The same thing stands for blood pressure too. I know of one individual whose BP is 200 over 140... still alive with no problems. Again, rigid rules from mainstream medicine that say everyone should be in a 'certain range'...

I'm trying to drop hints here, I can't spell it out for you in case it looks like medical advice.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #27
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
gtfpv, the book points out the rather rigid/dogmatic view medicine has with heart rate and exercise.

Sally basically points out that the human heart can easily work to rate's of 220 in elderly people, and that maximum heart rate is not dependent on age or any single factor. That mainstream quacks cause more damage by limiting each age group to 'specific heart rates' in exercise routines.

"say 140 are keeping fit doing nothing at all" Fast heart rate is only one indicator... what's their whole body metabolism ? That's a more reliable measure.

The same thing stands for blood pressure too. I know of one individual whose BP is 200 over 140... still alive with no problems. Again, rigid rules from mainstream medicine that say everyone should be in a 'certain range'...

I'm trying to drop hints here, I can't spell it out for you in case it looks like medical advice.
Some people are born with 2 heads as well.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:15 AM   #28
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Heart is a funny muscle indeed.

On a similar note..

I got a electric shock from a welder a few years ago, nothing big, just a small boot but was enough to throw my handpiece away.

Anyways I had to be monitored on the ECG for 24 hrs, apparently a bloke has died a few years ago from the same thing, 36 hrs hours after he had the shock, his heart had skipped out of rythym, he ended up going into cardiac arrest...

ssomething to be weary of.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 02:24 AM   #29
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez mate what type of welder? why did it shock you ^^^
Old 23-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #30
stang65
FPRJET

I am 41 years old currently run 5 days a week on a treddy at gym for 6 kilometres then do weights for the next hour. My goal is to keep my heart rate under 160 beats while increasing both speed and distance. 3 months ago I could only run 500 metres before my legs got tired. The secret is to do as much a you can safely and try to add a bit every now and then.

Good blood pressure they say is 120-30/80
Most treddys will have printed on the front panel target heart rates for cardio or fat burning with the age range. Otherwise just google cardio target heart rates
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post