Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default VFACTS June 2009

Has anyone got some numbers for June? According to Mazda they've had a bumper month:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/34106/ma...st-month-ever/

R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The numbers should be out July 3.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice
The key to Mazda’s success rests largely with the all-new Mazda3 which sold some 3,741 units across Australia in June.
Not a bad effort!
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
XR8putts

Crikey, not bad at all..
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Cuey
Built Ford Tough

Unreal effort with the current climate....even though we're seeing a recovery slowly come back, that's massive!

"I believe it was an old, old wooden ship used in the civil war era."

Ron Burgandy - Anchorman
Cuey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some news on the US Market. Great news for Ford.

Quote:
Chrysler sales fall 42%; GM drops 33.6%; Ford down 10.9%
Scott Burgess / The Detroit News
Chrysler Group LLC reported vehicle sales fall of 42 percent in June compared to the same month last year.

However, the Auburn Hills-based carmaker attributed the sales drop to a 95 percent reduction in fleet sales and noted a 1 percent market share increase in retail sales compared to last June.

"We are proud our new company starts out its first month with increasing market share and continued strong retail sales," said Peter Fong, Chrysler brand president and lead executive for the company's sales organization.

Advertisement

Overall, Chrysler sold 68,297 vehicles in June. Out of the 26 vehicles Chrysler's brands offered, none saw an increase in sales in June and for the year, Chrysler sales have fallen 40 percent.

General Motors Corp. offered more positive news, saying more people are coming back into dealerships.

Car and truck sales fell 33.6 percent in June when compared to the same month last year, GM executives said Wednesday afternoon.

Overall, GM sold 176,571 vehicles during the month, which is down year over year, but up 10 percent compared with May sales.

"We're pleased with our retail performance for the month, and it shows consumers' strong attraction to our products ... which all saw retail sales gains compared with May," said Mark LaNeve, vice president, GM North America sales, service and marketing, in a news release.

"Customers are cautiously coming back into the market, although the industry remains very weak," LaNeve added.

News from Ford Motor Co. was slightly more optimistic. The company reported a 10.9 percent sales drop for June in the U.S. compared from a year ago, a far smaller drop than in previous months and a sign that auto sales may be recovering.

Meanwhile, Toyota Motor Corp. reported a sales drop of 34.6 percent in June, compared with the same month last year. The Japanese carmaker said it sold 131,654 vehicles during the month. While the mid-size Toyota Camry remained the company's highest volume vehicle, the company noted that 2010 Prius sales were up 6.1 percent, totaling nearly 13,000 cars, compared to last June.

The Dearborn automaker says it sold 155,195 cars and light trucks last month. Ford's sales were down 24 percent in May and off 32.9 percent this year.

"We're making steady progress and are firmly focused on our plan to build a sustainable and exciting Ford," said Jim Farley, group vice president, marketing and communications. "We remain grounded, however, given challenging industry and economic conditions."

Ford officials said they sold 18,561 Ford Fusions in June, a 26 percent increase over last June.

Ford is the only Detroit-area automaker not relying on government loans to operate. The company has seen its market share grow while rivals Chrysler and General Motors struggle with financial problems.

Honda Motor Co. said its sales fell 32.4 percent in June compared to last year. The company sold 100,420 vehicles this June.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Some more on the US numbers.
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...0702-d5u2.html
Old 02-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Some early news on the Australian numbers:

http://carpoint.com.au/news/2009/june-sales-boom-15696
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=64070&vf=2

Another article, huge hilux sales!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
Some news on the US Market. Great news for Ford.

Quote:

Ford is the only Detroit-area automaker not relying on government loans to operate. The company has seen its market share grow while rivals Chrysler and General Motors struggle with financial problems.
Its GREAT to see publishers starting to get this right. Well done Ford US!
Old 02-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #11
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual

With the Investment Allowance you will see commercial vehicles get a huge boost.

Also will help Falcon and Commodore to a lesser extent, as they are more commonly leased.

Limited (but still noticable effect) on luxo exec cars.

Mazda 3 - I say that is purely a combination of new model + sharp pricing + good reviews. I think they will be just eating into others market share (possibly Focus/Lancer, unlikely to be Corolla as it is a common fleet car now, and will benefit as above)
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
Mazda 3 - I say that is purely a combination of new model + sharp pricing + good reviews. I think they will be just eating into others market share (possibly Focus/Lancer, unlikely to be Corolla as it is a common fleet car now, and will benefit as above)
Mazda seems to be going down the fleet path as well, from what i been seeing.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

anyone been able to find fords figures? I cant..
Old 02-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

The results get released tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #15
Stealth00

Is it tomorrow yet?
Stealth00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Some more info

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...0702-d64p.html

Quote:
Car sales on the rise in June
July 2, 2009 - 2:29PM

Australia's car market is expected to show signs of recovery when official sales figures for June are released on Friday.

While sales were down almost 20 per cent to the end of May, demand in June provided the industry with its best month for the past year.

The figures were expected to show that sales of new cars and trucks surged beyond 83,000.

Market leading company Toyota said the result was better than the 83,291 vehicles retailed in July last year and substantially higher than the best month in 2009, the 75,650 sold in March.

Toyota said it retailed more than 21,400 vehicles in June, also its best result since June last year.

While Mazda said it had its best monthly result ever, selling 8,406 vehicles last month.

The result beat the company's previous best of 7,565 set in March 2008.

Mazda Australia managing director Doug Dickson said the June result was great for the company, coming in such a tough market.

He said the company posted solid sales across its range and particularly for the new model Mazda3.

"It clearly demonstrates that the new generation Mazda3 will build on the success of the original model," he said.

© 2009 AAP
Old 02-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
Its GREAT to see publishers starting to get this right. Well done Ford US!
Agreed. To give them credit where it's due, most articles in US Press about Ford US do mention the fact.

Unlike the press here, who seem to portray the image that GM going into Ch. 11 is GOOD for Holden and that they can do no wrong, with Ford being the eternal runt of the litter now that Mitsu are gone, the US press seem to have latched on to Ford's message.

Perhaps there's a PR lesson for FoA in that... Create an advantage (even if only perceived), create the message, stick to it and drive it home at every opportunity...
Old 02-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #18
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
Agreed. To give them credit where it's due, most articles in US Press about Ford US do mention the fact.

Unlike the press here, who seem to portray the image that GM going into Ch. 11 is GOOD for Holden and that they can do no wrong, with Ford being the eternal runt of the litter now that Mitsu are gone, the US press seem to have latched on to Ford's message.

Perhaps there's a PR lesson for FoA in that... Create an advantage (even if only perceived), create the message, stick to it and drive it home at every opportunity...
To be fair I think the new Pres has been doing some of that. Everytime I have heard or read something he always mentions Ford has been in Aust longer then its opposition, keeps saying 85 years and has fronted the press directly on the Terry front ball joint problems. Ford recently seems to have given more insight into it's future plans or even stated time frames on when very important future decisions need to be made, eg engine plans. I think they should now start plugging far more publically that the next Focus is going to be assembled here next year to counter the recent press on Cruze by Holden. Sadly for Holden it came 4th in a recent mag comparo where the far older Focus beat it aswell.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #19
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Well, the Carpoint article mentions that the GMH C'dore will be up about 11%, C'dore Ute to be a record and that the Falcon sales will also be up.

Drive says that Toyota is predicted to reduce sales by 16.5%, GMHolden is meant to be up, Ford is meant to be even or down slightly. The market is predicted to be 100,000 or a smidge over.

The 2008 sales for these models were

Ford
Ford Falcon 3,483
Ford Falcon Ute 1,262
Ford Territory 1,231
TOTAL 10,286

Holden
Holden Commodore 4,274
Holden Utility 4X2 1,219
TOTAL 11,965

Toyota
Toyota Corolla 5,023
Toyota Hilux 4X2 1,812
Toyota Hilux 4X4 2,718
TOTAL 25,624

June 2009 Could be
Toyota 21,400
Holden 13,000
Ford 10,000

Hilux 4,750
C'dore 4,700
Corolla 4,000
Mazda2 3,700
Falcon 3,500

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #20
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Just had a look at the fantastic sales statistics that RussellW puts up monthly.

This is for May 2009 http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=595

The graph shows the best C'dore Ute sales to be a fraction over 2000. So i'd suggest this is where Holden made alot of their gains. Probably 800 sales increase. Looks like their huge stockpile has played into their hands this time.

With Ford having only 31-32days of stock, plus the ability to only make 220 vehicles a day (unless the reported consideration of increased line rate went ahead) and even with the 2 days stand down which were cancelled, then they probably can't make any more than 5000 cars a month. Higher sales will only further eat into an already low stock.

GMHolden and Toyota both had large excess stock. Looks like Ford, might need to up production though the true test will be the July sales which are usually somewhat hungover.

Retrotech thread
Old 02-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #21
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
To be fair I think the new Pres has been doing some of that. Everytime I have heard or read something he always mentions Ford has been in Aust longer then its opposition, keeps saying 85 years and has fronted the press directly on the Terry front ball joint problems. Ford recently seems to have given more insight into it's future plans or even stated time frames on when very important future decisions need to be made, eg engine plans. I think they should now start plugging far more publically that the next Focus is going to be assembled here next year to counter the recent press on Cruze by Holden. Sadly for Holden it came 4th in a recent mag comparo where the far older Focus beat it aswell.
Dr Smith, i agree. Ford have finally recognised that there is some benefit to actually share and re-inforce those plans with the media. With Ford letting them know whats upcoming, it helps boost the perception that they are here for the long haul. Just like we have for the last 85 years, which is longer than anyone else... I also agree that Ford should be talking up the investment to make Focus here in Australia.

Retrotech thread
Old 02-07-2009, 11:48 PM   #22
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Agreed. I think Mr Burella seems like the kind of guy that may be able to hold a candle to Mr Polites one day. Which is ALOT more than can be said for the in between guys IMO.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:37 AM   #23
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
With Ford having only 31-32days of stock, plus the ability to only make 220 vehicles a day (unless the reported consideration of increased line rate went ahead) and even with the 2 days stand down which were cancelled,
Ford have being building about 260 vehicles a day since downbalance last year I hear.

However, they have also been having a day off a week until recently, so the line rate hasn't changed for quite a while. They will just be working 5 days a week instead.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #24
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think the numbers this month mean very much at all - there will just be an artificial bubble becasue of the investment allowance. Won't be till August till you see what the real trend is.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #25
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

looks like Ford are also doing well in sales in Canada, first time they lead the sales in 50 years over there.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1204012/
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.caradvice.com.au/34237/to...est-in-a-year/
Old 03-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...0703-d76z.html

Quote:
Toyota was the top selling company in June with 21,410 vehicles ahead of Holden on 12,167 and Ford on 10,194.

Toyota was also the market leader over the first six months of 2009 with 94,233 vehicles compared to 56,152 for Holden and 46,456 for Ford.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #28
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New Vehicle Sales Figures June 2009
1 Toyota 21410
2 Holden 12167
3 Ford 10194
4 Mazda 8406
5 Hyundai 7862
6 Mitsubishi 6912
7 Nissan 6050
8 Honda 4354
9 Volkswagen 4068
10 Subaru 3757
11 Mercedes-Benz 2234
12 Suzuki 2058
13 Kia 2026
14 BMW 1944
15 Audi 1119
16 Peugeot 748
17 Volvo 621
18 Jeep 483
19 Lexus 458
20 Land Rover 377
21 Isuzu Ute 331
22 Renault 314
23 Fiat 278
24 Chrysler 247
25 MINI 191
26 Dodge 184
27 Proton 153
28 Ssangyong 147
29 Citroen 146
30 Alfa Romeo 142
31 Skoda 130
32 Porsche 119
33 Saab 99
34 Jaguar 96
35 Hummer 47
36 Smart 28
37 Maserati 10
38 Aston Martin 10
39 Ferrari 8
40 Lotus 6
41 Lamborghini 4
42 Bentley 2
43 Maybach 0
44 Caterham 0
45 Morgan 0
46 Rolls-Royce 0
Old 03-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #29
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

28 Ssangyong 147

ARGH! the chinese have found 147 dumb people in Australia!

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Ssangyong is Korean and in receivership.

Last edited by vztrt; 03-07-2009 at 02:08 PM.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post