Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Talking Wino's post in this thread [Wine discussion]

I'm sure there are some wine aficionados on the forum. As I sit here sipping on a glass of '05 Castle Rock Estate Shiraz (Plantagenet region, WA) I can't help but think you're all missing out. Or am I?

Tell me about some of the nice reds (and whites if you must, personally I can't stand the crap) that you've had recently. Or some nice wineries that you have been to while on holiday either in your area or elsewhere.

I went to Albany over the last long weekend we had here and surrounding Albany are the wine regions of Plantagenet (headed up by none other than Plantagenet wines) and Denmark. Let me tell you, there are some choice reds produced in the Denmark region, with some bloody good people running the wineries there. In no particular order, the one's I'd rate and/or recommend are:

Rickety Gate wines, Denmark (their Muscat is to die for - imagine a sticky date pudding in a bottle)
Somerset Hill wines, Denmark
West Cape Howe. Denmark
Plantagenet wines, Mount Barker
Castle Rock Estate, Porongorups
Alkoomi Wines, Albany
Moss Brothers, Cowaramup
Flamebird wines, Pemberton

Any particular reds or whites you'd like to share over the interwebs? Post up.

Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 01:14 AM   #2
Work Horse
Budget Racer

So much wine so little time!

I'm hardly an aficionado, more an enthusiastic amateur!

Dinner tonight, Rump steak BBQed, salad, baked spud and a bottle of 07 Pepperjack Shiraz from the Brossa. If I was on death row I would have the same.

The Wife is from the King Valley in Nth Victoria, and her mother worked at Brown Brothers, (the reason I married her but keep that between us!), so I have tried and enjoyed lots of wine from that region.

A good mate has a vineyard at Currency Creek in SA, and has run vineyards in Middleton SA, so I have enjoyed much of what that has to offer also.

There is very little wine I've tried I don't like, may be just some I like more than others
Old 19-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

St Hallett, but I'm biased as the wife is a winemaker there.
Old 19-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Mate, a keen fan of any red that Oakvale produces from the Hunter. Can't buy their wine in retail outlets, only direct from them. Their Shiraz are to die for.... now where is my quarterly delivery, should be here any day now !!
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
ltd
Force Fed Fords

OK, starting where you are from Sandalford does some nice wines, I have a case of 1993 Reserve Chardonnay; very woody and beautifully aged.
Down around Rutherglen you have the likes of Pfeiffer, Brown Brothers and many others that make some nice wines; Shiraz, Cab Sav's and Chardonnays.
Tasmania produces some of the best whites and sparklings in the land due to its cooler climate, and it also produces some very full palate pinot noir's as well.
ACT is reputed for being the best shiraz and riesling country in Australia (wasn't sure about the Riesling, I have tasted better).
The Barossa also has some fantastic vineyards too.
If you do head down to the apple Isle, I recommend you go to the Tamar Valley vineyards; start off with Josef Chromy (their PEPIK sparkling is one of the most cleansing I've tasted). Whilst down there head down the road to Bundaleera, and try their 2003 Pinot Noir; you'll be glad you did.

Basically, anything that has seen a little oak is a good thing; unwooded does not have as much character I find.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Certrainly not a wine connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination but my father-inlaws Red is very nice! Kind of reminds me of a cab merlot... Can drink a gallon and still wake up fresh the next morning!...

And his 'fluke' port is damn nice. I even used it as bonbonerie for my wedding last year
Old 19-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
adrianb

My all-time favourite red is and has for years Penfolds Bin 389 (poor man's grange or baby grange) but the price means it's more of a 'special occasion' kind of buy. I probably only have a couple of bottles a year but I love it every time I do.

I drink mainly shiraz - the bigger and more pepper the better (I LOVE margaret river shiraz)! I do enjoy a merlot for something a bit softer and I do a chardonnay in summer as well.

Off the top of my head some memorable favourites...

Shiraz - Pepperjack, Gralyn Estate, Lehmans, Leeuwin Art Series, Tin Shed,
Merlot - Grant Burge, Happs, Clairault, Gherardi (my mates dad's winery in Margaret River)
Chardonnay - Cloudy Bay (NZ), Leeuwin Art Series
Old 19-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #8
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Road warrior

You seem to have wines from wineries withing a 50km radius of Albany, except for Coworamup and Pemby. I must say I have not really been to the wineries around here, I probably should. I seem to go more for Margaret River area.

I got a nice white port from Duckets Mill (Denmark)
Sauvignon Blanc Semillon from Vasse Felix (Margs)
2008 Cane Cut Semillon from Vasse Felix (Margs)
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
Road warrior

You seem to have wines from wineries withing a 50km radius of Albany, except for Coworamup and Pemby. I must say I have not really been to the wineries around here, I probably should. I seem to go more for Margaret River area.

I got a nice white port from Duckets Mill (Denmark)
Sauvignon Blanc Semillon from Vasse Felix (Margs)
2008 Cane Cut Semillon from Vasse Felix (Margs)
Ah yes we went to Duckets Mill, bought some Marsala from there. I think we've been to Vasse Felix but I'm not sure.

I'm telling you now, check out some of those wineries I have listed, if you're in the region. The wines in the Denmark region and surrounds are just as good as those from the Margaret River region just that the wineries aren't anywhere near as ****y.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i like the OBiKWA range of reds (south african wines )

Particular the cab sav and merlot ranges

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #11
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

I try and do a trip down south every couple of years. - For some reason I always come back with a truck load of Reds.

On the mailing list for Mad Fish and Moss Bro and end up with a couple of cases from them each year.

Off the shelf - Bin555 or Bin444 (if we're out and about)
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......

Last edited by DJL351; 19-06-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: spelling error
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Ah yes we went to Duckets Mill, bought some Marsala from there. I think we've been to Vasse Felix but I'm not sure.

I'm telling you now, check out some of those wineries I have listed, if you're in the region. The wines in the Denmark region and surrounds are just as good as those from the Margaret River region just that the wineries aren't anywhere near as ****y.
Until I went to Duckets Mill I thought I had to go to Margs to get cheese lol. They have a good range of cheeses as well as wines. I might check out some of the ones on your list as I live in Albany and would take me 1/2 day to check em out.

BTW if anyone from W.A makes it to Duckets Mill in Denmark do not try the citrus wine. It was like old school panadol syrup and even the chick serving agreed.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #13
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

White - Browns Brothers Moscato. Not being much of a drinker, its lower alcohol (5.5% I think) and it is SOOOOOOO drinkable its not funny. Sweet and tasty without that big 'alcohol' taste. Probably more a non drinkers drink, but give it a go, you can have a couple and still drive. As a matter of fact a whole bottle is only about 3.3 standard drinks I think. Noice!
Old 20-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
GeoNazi
Banned

DON'T WANT TO OFFEND

BUT!!!!!

How can people drink wine? It tastes like vinager to me and a few other freinds and alike. I don't mind that goon stuff cask wine but other stuff it is horrid.
GeoNazi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNazi
DON'T WANT TO OFFEND

BUT!!!!!

How can people drink wine? It tastes like vinager to me and a few other freinds and alike. I don't mind that goon stuff cask wine but other stuff it is horrid.
I used to be the same mate.
It's one of those things that you appreciate as your tastes mature. Here's how I got into it.

I got onto it later in life than normal, as for many years I didn't drink at all (flying has a 0% BAC at the time, none to be drunk within 24 hours and as a training pilot, I had unexpected flights come up all the time).
When I was school age I drank beer, bourban and coke.
When I stopped training (about 5 years later) a mate started me on scotch and coke, then just scotch, then just good scotch. Later, my dad got me onto Hennessy XO. (Expensive habit) The point is, I stopped drinking sweet things like bourban as well as coke in other drinks.

After that, when I was about 32 I gave a wooded chardonnay a try at a work function and I finally got it. So I was fine with white wine, found some nice Rieslings that helped me stick with it.
On my 13th trip to the USA, a place called Ruth Chris Steakhouse got me onto Red. We'd be stateside for 3 days before heading back, so we went to Minneapolis as we were getting bored with LA. Anyways, had an eye fillet with pepper sauce and the pepper was so hot, it literally was burning my mouth. My captain at the time was drinking an aussie cab sav and got me to try some. It was the only thing that soothed the burning in the mouth. We ordered another bottle for the table.
Long story short, red wine began to make sense.

You see, wine enhances food. Typically speaking, you can have a red meat dish and whilst eating the meat, try a sip of wine; it meshes together.
Same with white meat and white wine. You'd probably start off with an Sauvignon Blanc, or an unwooded chardonnay as they are not as heavy or complex. But, when you next have seafood try a little wine.
Whatever you do, don't overdo it by trying to drink a whole bottle in one night. It will become a little tedious and you'll end up loathing the stuff.

Just remember to slowly introduce yourself to wine, avoid cask stuff as it is rubbish, and if someone says "flaggin" and "wine" in the same sentence then run for your life.

When you appreciate wine and all it has to offer you can then reflect on the following quote; "Wine, Jesus's first miracle."

Quote: