Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
HSE2

Default TV Cancellation or renewal

The following link provides info on which shows made it and which didn't.

How did your favourite shows fair?

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/19...0-so-far/19110

BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do i read that right? boston legal cancelled? No more denny Crane!
What a disgrace best show on tv by a mile, devastated.

Last edited by Archilino; 21-05-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archilino
Do i read that right? boston legal cancelled? No more denny Crane!
What a disgrace best show on tv by a mile, devastated.
Yep, Boston Legal finished in December last year (US screening that is)
Old 21-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
MAV50L
Banned

Well thats a good link if I was sitting at home watching American TV channels.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Boston Legal turned like The Simpsons have. Was great in the beginning but towards the the end went downhill, but alot faster.

It started out as a real good comedy surrounding the funny side of law, then I felt it went to more of a soap type program as if it should be played after the "The days of our life"... with all the love, marriage, relationship they introduced.

24, NCIS, Alias, JAG, M.A.S.H are all get straight to the point, action shows with a comedy side. God I miss JAG and Alias.

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

: gonna miss LIFE too... :

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV50L

Those American channels are the obvious source for the programs that get picked up by the local networks.

The network designation has no relevance, the program title certainly does.

Funny enough Boston Legal took plenty of shots at the networks in the closing episodes.

Programs that actually rate well have been cancelled due to inappropriate timing or an age demographic that isn't the networks top desire. They mocked sued a network for exactly that.

A show like “The Unit” had strong numbers in the +45 age group but it’s not what CBS wanted.

Torrents. PVRs have changed the way ratings configure and the networks are pretty much to blame through scheduling and running repeats in prime time. People have had enough.

Our industry reacted by showing new season programming so close to the US running that they hope people won't waste bandwidth with downloads.

In the Boston Legal episode, they argued that the age the networks now target are the ages that don't watch programs completely, in that they text or twitter or laptop through an entire episode supposedly designed for them. In the end the most affluent age group, the group with money to spend in these times, gets ignored.

They won that case but lost the battle.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV50L
Take a closer look at the TV shows being aired in prime time. Majority of them are American TV. You are sitting at home watching American TV channels unless you're an avid SBS or ABC viewer.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

cant believe they renewed LOST. does anyone even watch that show anymore??

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Greys anatomy, terminator, battlestar galactica,stargate, all gone :(
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

Spewin! Can't believe that they didn't give "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" a reprieve. Apparently it didn't have the ratings over in the US.
I would've thought they'd hold off until Terminator Salvation runs it's course.
Yeah, I'm still getting over no more BSG! Sucks being a SciFi fan.
Now, where am I at in my emotional response? as laid out in THIS post on the originally mentioned TV forum

Quote:
1.) Denial - “NO! It’s not official yet! I have a rumor from so and so that says it’s still has a chance! Not until XXX network says so officially!”

2.) Anger - “Those Mother F-ing people at XXX network! They cancel all the good shows and just leave on the crap! I dont’ care if the other crap had better ratings, my show was the best!!! I’ll never watch XXX network again!!!”

3.) Bargaining - “If we just send X number of Item X, they’ll know we mean business and will bring back our show! Who’s with me!” (Us Chuck fans seems to jump right to this stage with the Subway thing for some reason)

4.) Depression - “Dammit! Now I have nothing to watch on X-day… *sniff* I guess I’ll just stop watching TV all together and go read a book or do something outside!”

5.) Acceptance - “Sigh… I guess it really is cancelled. All right, XXX network, what have you got for me this season? I have another hour to kill…”
Oh yeah.....DEATH TO REALITY TV!
Old 25-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADSKY
Remember these are American show designed for American audiences. They don't think like other people.

Star Trek TOS was cancelled, as was Firefly and a host of others that later became extremely popular whereas some of the long term rubbish (oprah, jerry springer, dr phil etc) is just banal beyond belief.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
when I was working night shift a couple weeks ago there was an episode on during the day. I thought it would have been hard to get more far fetched than the first season. Boy was I wrong

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
platinumXR

It does not help when Networks miss episodes, play them at obscure hours/times and expecting viewers to be telepathic and just KNOW when it will be on or let other shows encroach 15 to 30 minutes into scheduled times.

I don't know how many times I have set record for a show via EPG or whatever only to have some dingb@t reality show that no one really watches anyway; go overtime for seemingly no other reason than it can. I fill up the HDD with excess info because I have to record at least 1/2 to 1 hour after a show in the hope it does not get shifted.

It's the reason I switch off networks and download via torrent or buy the whole series when it is cancelled after 2 seasons due to no interest because no one can find it on the network...blah...blah...vicious circle.

And don't even get me started about Lost: It's like reading a Tom Clancy novel - starts out ok...then ten minutes later... sleep:

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 25-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #15
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
yes. I do, and I love it. The only show that I actually enjoy on TV.

Requires a bit of a brain to completely understand it. Something that most viewers of TV these days wouldn't be able to do, considering all they like to watch are the reality/competition/how not to be fat type shows etc etc...
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #16
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

MY NAME IS EARL NBC 2.4 2.29 1.05 canceled

WHAT!!! How could they!!! :jab:
Oh well at least Scrubs survived. Long live Dr Perry Cox!!!
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #17
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I download all my television because I gave up on the networks. Foxtel is another who give me the irrits. I like to watch National Geographic and Discovery channels for the engineering docos. But they always play the same god damn ones over and over. I am sick of learning about London's Heathrow airport and the bloddy Ferrari factory......

Whatever happened to Extreme Engineering? That was a good show........
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #18
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb
MY NAME IS EARL NBC 2.4 2.29 1.05 canceled

WHAT!!! How could they!!! :jab:
Oh well at least Scrubs survived. Long live Dr Perry Cox!!!
Scrubs survived? Without Zach Braff and Sarah Chalke?

Surprising.

At least the American Re-makes of British shows (looks to Avatar) didn't make it. I couldn't watch the US Life on Mars.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #19
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton

At least the American Re-makes of British shows (looks to Avatar) didn't make it. I couldn't watch the US Life on Mars.
I'm with you.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 25-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #20
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Lost is actually much better this season. No more completely unexplained stuff like previous seasons, it all gets looped back around and integrated back into the story. All you need is patience.

I'm with you Paxton. Although I do watch the American Life on Mars it didn't even hold a candle to the "real" series.

I'm glad Dollhouse was renewed so it didn't end up the next Firefly. Now I just hope it comes to free to air TV or at least to DVD.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #21
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Kath and Kim didn't last that long.

The american version was terrible to begin with, I didn't see it lasting.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #22
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Lost is actually much better this season. No more completely unexplained stuff like previous seasons, it all gets looped back around and integrated back into the story. All you need is patience.
Agreed. I can understand why many have turned away, as the series continued to raise questions and never answer them, but the patient viewers have been rewarded. The depth of the story is quite amazing and it just shows that the early mysteries play only a very small part of the much larger picture.

The 2hr season finale was just GREAT and it really reveals ALLOT. Season 5 has really been about tying everything in and has progressed the story toward its conclusion. Something the writers had to do considering they only recently decided the end date of the show.

1 more season. Will really miss it that's for sure.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #23
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
I don't know how many times I have set record for a show via EPG or whatever only to have some dingb@t reality show that no one really watches anyway; go overtime for seemingly no other reason than it can. I fill up the HDD with excess info because I have to record at least 1/2 to 1 hour after a show in the hope it does not get shifted.

It's the reason I switch off networks and download via torrent or buy the whole series when it is cancelled after 2 seasons due to no interest because no one can find it on the network...blah...blah...vicious circle.
That's the reason I went to Channel BT. Big Brothel always ran overtime and I was missing the last 10 minutes of House back in about Season 2 (even though it was set to record for 1hr30mins!). When I saw how easy it was to download BT episodes, I started dumping all other regular shows that I watched on TV as they were packed with ads and usually a couple of seasons behind.

Today, I don't watch live Aus TV. My TV is actually a computer monitor. 95% of the TV I watch I download, the other 5% I'll grab on a video capture card if I can be bothered.
Old 25-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #24
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
That's the reason I went to Channel BT. Big Brothel always ran overtime and I was missing the last 10 minutes of House back in about Season 2 (even though it was set to record for 1hr30mins!). When I saw how easy it was to download BT episodes, I started dumping all other regular shows that I watched on TV as they were packed with ads and usually a couple of seasons behind.

Today, I don't watch live Aus TV. My TV is actually a computer monitor. 95% of the TV I watch I download, the other 5% I'll grab on a video capture card if I can be bothered.
Amen to that, once you go BT, you never go back......
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #25
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Amen to that, once you go BT, you never go back......
Yeah, I've watched the last 2 seasons of 5th Gear/TGUK and Battlestar via downloads. Got Heroes to go next as got sick of waiting for 7 to get their act together.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 25-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #26
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Talking about Lost, if it hasnt been cancelled in America, what ever happened to it over here?

I noticed that show Worst week that they keep promoting just now on Ten has been cancelled already over there.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #27
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Talking about Lost, if it hasnt been cancelled in America, what ever happened to it over here?

I noticed that show Worst week that they keep promoting just now on Ten has been cancelled already over there.
If you like Meet the Parents, it's actually a pretty funny show. It's like the sitcom version of the movie. It did look like it had a limited life though, there's only so much slapstick today's audiences will put up with.
Old 26-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #28
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
If you like Meet the Parents, it's actually a pretty funny show. It's like the sitcom version of the movie. It did look like it had a limited life though, there's only so much slapstick today's audiences will put up with.
Worst Week was an Americanization of a British show called "The Worst Week of my Life". It was on the ABC a couple of years ago. The British Version wasn't bad, but I have not seen the American Version.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #29
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm...no word on He-Man returning.

Bummer.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #30
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Worst Week was an Americanization of a British show called "The Worst Week of my Life". It was on the ABC a couple of years ago. The British Version wasn't bad, but I have not seen the American Version.
Oh, you really should see the Americanised version of "Red Dwarf".
It's a comedic attempt at creating a comedy, in that it's an absolute pile of sloppy refuse.

Americans have a completely different sense of humour, and they should therefore stick to what they're familiar with. <Here's an opportunity for somebody to add something on!>

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post