Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
5L
[ 5L ]

Default What shocks to suit SL front SSL rear?

i just got news back from the place i was ordering my suspension through that BOGE have now taken there short strut shock out of production for AU's due to not being short enough.

and the shock they have apparently wont be short enough for the ride height that i am after for my AU.

if all else fails ill just use monroe gt gas shocks, but does anyone have any other shocks that would work. i am only looking to spend up to $500 for a complete front rear package. its not a track car or anything like that so i dont need koni's or others similar.

both the boge and monroe's are $450 front and rear.

[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
5L
[ 5L ]

never mind i am just going to put SL's front and rear.

and a set of monroe gt gas shocks.

this combo will do, plus anything has got to be better than the standard stuff in there now @160,000km's
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 29-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I would'nt mind knowing what people have paid for a set of Koni reds all round. Might be getting some soon
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
5L
[ 5L ]

just did some shopping on ebay and have purchased shocks and superlow springs, ill post a couple of pictures up when i am changing them over.

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 29-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Ride
Stay Classy ™

If its any help I paid $1350 all up for Koni yellows front and rear for my Ghia
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i bought a pair of reds for the front $260 ish brand new , was advertised on Ebay, apparently they are normally list price around $560 for the front only, the seller was Gt suspension Nth Melb.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

looks like im in the same boat... im going from king spring SSL to pedders SL, have just got the tickford xr springs in and it seems that the ssl have wrecked my tickford shockers... its really bouncy now... interested to see how you go with the monroe gt gas shocks...

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Well I just bought a set of those "Ultima" shocks off of ebay for a whole $139 a pair for the back of my Fairlane and they seem to be doing a fine job. What swayed me was the 3 year 100000km warranty compared to 2yr 40000km for most of the others out there. They do a short shock too I believe and hey, if they prove to be ordinary in the long term it's only $140 and not twice that. The guy I bought them from said they were matched to King Springs so were suited to a stiffer spring. So far, no complaints.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
st33l3y
Pursuit #144

I've had Monroe GT Gas short shocks (albeit for Tickford height or King Lows) in with my King SSL's since around November last year (or around 20,000 km's).

IMO, they were far less bouncy than the Tickford shocks with the SSL's; but are now becoming worse, in particular rebound dampening is quite lacking. On top of that, within 4 months of having them in there, the front passenger side shock has already blown. Oil leaking all over the shop under there.

However, they were alright for the price, and Monroe has a new shock range matched specifically to the King spring heights (only down to SL last time I checked).
2003 FPV Pursuit #144
| Silhouette | 5 Speed Manual | Pacemaker Twin 2.5" System | Pacemaker 2.5" 200 cell cats | Pacemaker 1 3/4" headers | Yella Terra airbox | Herrod Oil Breathers | MGW Short Shifter | 19" Bonspeed Clutch billet wheels | Spoiler Deleted |
st33l3y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

there has been a listing on Ebay in the past from Ringwood Auto Parts...pops up from time to time........I think they're called 'Ultraride' lowered shocks and struts - $285 all up for front and back......has anybody got these??
Old 01-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33l3y
I've had Monroe GT Gas short shocks (albeit for Tickford height or King Lows) in with my King SSL's since around November last year (or around 20,000 km's).

IMO, they were far less bouncy than the Tickford shocks with the SSL's; but are now becoming worse, in particular rebound dampening is quite lacking. On top of that, within 4 months of having them in there, the front passenger side shock has already blown. Oil leaking all over the shop under there.

However, they were alright for the price, and Monroe has a new shock range matched specifically to the King spring heights (only down to SL last time I checked).
Well that confirms again my thoughts of monroe product, average to say the least.

dave93761 those Ultraride are re labelled Ultima what bushbasher has bought.
You'll need every bit of that 3yr/100000 warranty he was sold on, in the game known highest % returns, all the best of luck to the purchasers.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post