Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Vegemite Hooch!!!

Mornington Islanders beat grog ban by brewing Vegemite

JOHN ANDERSEN

February 2nd, 2009

THE Mornington Island canteen closed early last year and since then ingenious locals have turned their hand to making hooch from Vegemite.

Not only do you get gloriously drunk, but it's good for you as well! Mornington Island is a dry community but locals looking for an alternative to commercially brewed products have become brewers themselves. Mornington Islanders are making their own illegal rocket fuel. Vegemite spread is made from leftover brewers' yeast so it's a lay-down misere it's going to be used to make something that would run the engine of a Caterpillar D8. Senior Constable Troy Sullivan from the Mornington Island police said that while islanders like Vegemite as a base ingredient because of its yeast content, they also use bread, which of course also contains yeast. Fruit and vegetable peelings do the job just as well. On Mornington the brews are commonly fermented in 20-litre drums. Often this is down out in the bush, away from prying eyes. While the pub closure might have led to the manufacture of Vegemite liqueur, Senior Constable Sullivan said it has also led to a downturn in domestic violence and public drunkenness, and an upturn in residents taking more pride in their homes and gardens. He said the amount of litter in the town's streets, the one thing that makes so many indigenous communities so aesthetically ugly, has also reduced. Senior Constable Sullivan gives the Mornington Island community the thumbs up and reckons the fishing is great.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

God love 'em....

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh man that would taste so horrible..

yyyuuueck! good on em for trying though.. atleast its not petr....
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats why they removed vegemite from NSW prisons

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

genius ,goes to show they can work for a good cause lol
Old 03-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
TadKa
Wait? What?

I don't really get the 'let's get drunk throw little all over our motherland and trash the place" mentality of a lot of these communities. But that's probably a very long discussion for another place.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadKa
I don't really get the 'let's get drunk throw little all over our motherland and trash the place" mentality of a lot of these communities. But that's probably a very long discussion for another place.
Sounds like St Kilda beach...the crappiest beach "popular" beach in Victoria.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadKa
Can people show a little consideration before posting, there are Aboriginal members on here, I understand why alot of you have your views, but let me tell you, the white community isnt so pretty either.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
_CRUZ_
Ford Owner

I love Vegemite ima vegemite kid.
_CRUZ_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
TadKa
Wait? What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggs24
Can people show a little consideration before posting, there are Aboriginal members on here, I understand why alot of you have your views, but let me tell you, the white community isnt so pretty either.
Sorry I really wouldn't have though my post would be offensive to Aboriginal People? I just don't understand how some people can have no pride or respect for their land or themselves. Black or white.

Your certainly right about some 'white communities' as you put it. There are suburbs in every state that I'd be scared to drive though.

Don't forget that this thread was started because some Islanders were so desperate for a drink they distilled Vegemite. The island went 'dry because of violence and littering' I didn't even describe it as being aboriginal. I've got no idea were Mornington Island is.

Some of us seem to think it's fantastic that they are distilling alcohol. Personally I think it's very very sad. And I'm certainly not a square. I love a drink or 10 every week or 2.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post