Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
balthazarr

Default Voting: Could the system be any more stuffed?

Just got back from voting in the council elections. Apart from the fact I think compulsory voting is ridiculous... I wanted to rant about the incredible inefficiency and the huge potential for errors in our current system...

:
Last election, I received a letter from the Electoral Commission asking me to please explain (in a stat dec) why I didn't vote.

The election before that, I received a letter asking me to explain why I had committed fraud, and voted three times. :

I wrote back to them advising that I did vote - both times only once, and if their system wasn't flawed, they would know that.

Eg:
* They require NO ID when crossing you off the roll, so anyone can say they are anyone else.
* The typeface used on the roll books is tiny, and it's very easy for them to rule a line through the wrong name (the person above or below your name).
* You have to vote in your local area, otherwise fill out a special form and put in an 'absentee' vote, etc.

These problems can all be solved easily and simply... the roll is already computerised, just stick a couple of computers there - they ask for your id, put in your name and suburb, tick a box and it's done. Most polling places are schools, so there are already computers in place.

That would also allow you to vote at any polling booth, because they don't have phonebook-sized roll books, but a central database. Not to mention saving bucket loads of paper/ink/money in printing costs alone (which we as taxpayers all pay for).

I understand the concerns on electronic voting - just look at Diebold in the US for example - but surely nobody can object to an electronic roll?

balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
deathlucky
Awesome Member

this is why i don't vote i never enrolled as far as the gov knows i live 300km away in nsw.

here comes the flaming. oh and i will complain about the gov if i don't like them because i didnt vote for them. i can see this thread being shut down real quick these sort of ones always do
17" BA XR8 Copies, Pedders Coilovers Front & Rear, 30mm Front 24mm Rear Whiteline Sway Bar, Strut Brace, Camber Kit, Slotted Front Rotors, 1636 Wadecam, Au Injectors, El Ecu, TurboSmart FPR-800 (275kpa), MSD Street Fire Ignition, MSD High Vibration Blaster Coil, Pacemaker 4499, High Flow Cat, 2.5" Sports Exhaust, Twin Pod Filters, El Thermo Fans, 2 Stage Shift Kit, Pioneer Sound System : 123.3RWKW
deathlucky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The fact we are still using pencil and paper is beyond me.

We use secure online facilities to move hundreds of thousands of dollars without blinking an eye, yet need to line up, talk to a person sitting behind a folding table who then opens a folder and looks for your name...

Then there are all those disposable cardboard booths, as well as all the people needed to 'help you' with your vote...

What a waste, and what a joke.

Oh... and 'voting' is not compulsory... lining up to get your name ticked off is..
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

I totally agree with the op and Yellow Festiva. We have the facilities, technology and security systems online to undertake banking yet we still persist with paper and pen for voting. It's the biggest joke ever. With all the paper and printing funds they waste, this money could easily be spent on designing and implementing an online voting system. I cannot see any reason against it, apart from the elderly not knowing how to use an online system. But they can easily have someone assist them as they currently do anyway.
Old 29-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish it was like America where you don't have to vote. Or at least was online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordACE
I totally agree with the op and Yellow Festiva. We have the facilities, technology and security systems online to undertake banking yet we still persist with paper and pen for voting. It's the biggest joke ever. With all the paper and printing funds they waste, this money could easily be spent on designing and implementing an online voting system. I cannot see any reason against it, apart from the elderly not knowing how to use an online system. But they can easily have someone assist them as they currently do anyway.
I think they should implement the same system they have in France (I think)...
There, you can register your intent to vote online... the EC then sends you a one-use password that you use to log in with on the day, proving you voted, and ensuring you can only vote once.
Old 29-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
RJO89
EuroFordClub

To all of us, and probably the entire population, that makes sense. But there would be a huuuuuge amount of work that would have to go into a system like that, especially if they do it for the national voting. Plus, you then have to factor in people that don't have internet access, albeit not a large percentage of the population, but there are still people that don't have it.

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJO89
To all of us, and probably the entire population, that makes sense. But there would be a huuuuuge amount of work that would have to go into a system like that, especially if they do it for the national voting. Plus, you then have to factor in people that don't have internet access, albeit not a large percentage of the population, but there are still people that don't have it.
That's why online voting is only applicable to those that register for it... if you don't register, you vote in the usual way.

But 'the usual way' should still be modernised... at the very least the roll should be electronic, and they should require photo ID.
Old 29-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
That's why online voting is only applicable to those that register for it... if you don't register, you vote in the usual way.

But 'the usual way' should still be modernised... at the very least the roll should be electronic, and they should require photo ID.
100% spot on. Why are they not making the effort? You can do your tax online, how hard can it be to vote online or electronically.
Old 29-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whilst compulory voting can't be seen as being democratic, the US voluntary system is very flawed. It's OK to be apathetic about the country you live in and the people controlling it - just turn up and get your name ticked off then go home.

The US system, on the other hand, allows you to just stay home. That means that only the nutbag groups who attend mass organisations (the blind followers) and who get told how to vote go en masse and vote, and the non aligned, non nutbag, regular individuals (the unwashed masses) who don't vote because they are too busy, too apathetic or it's just raining and they don't want to go outside - don't wind up getting as well represented.

Ever noticed the bias toward religious nutbag groups, ce and gun toting groups in the US polls? They are all nutbags but vote en masse as a unified group. That is how you skew reality and how you suppress the stupid fools who just 'can't be bothered'.

It's imperative that doesn't happen here - we are just as dumb, but if everyone votes, then the nutbag groups can't get over-represented.
Ducati888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Hahaha.
I go through this every time I vote. I am an Aussie (born and bred), wife is a Yank. They methodology that my wife goes under, is that she is still an American Citizen (Aus resident), however she "wanted" to vote in this years US elections, but when it comes to signing to the Aus way of life, I get the "I don't want to be forced to vote / fined for not voting".

As I have said to her many times, you aren't forced to vote, simply get your name ticked off. You can vote informal if you wish (or fake a ballot vote).

But, she is half a world away and wants to vote in the US elections, however the country she is in, her ideals that she won't sign to Aus way of life simply is "not being forced to vote".

How do you gauge how a country is run (simply the biggest job on the planet as some say), where 20%-50% of the voting population actuall cast a valid vote.
I mean, some areas of smaller populations, a whole state had 6,000 voters, 3,00 for this party, 3,000 for that party.
In a state where there is a few million voters, come on......(pre-selection)

Never the twain shall meet......:
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
Force6

I say keep the inefficient pencil and paper voting, because each election I get paid ~$400 to sit around marking names off!
Force6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

The vote by mail is worse, as they now know who votes for who, no longer private.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #14
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to those who say they don't vote you have no right to complain about what happens if you are too lazy or ignorant to vote.
in the us there is no compulsory voting and a president can be elected by 10 or 15% of the population if there is a poor voter turnout . thats hardly a democratic decision

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #15
deathlucky
Awesome Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
to those who say they don't vote you have no right to complain about what happens if you are too lazy or ignorant to vote.
we have every right to complain we don't vote because there isn't a party worth voting for they will all screw you in the end the only people who don't have a right to complain are the ones that voted for that party
17" BA XR8 Copies, Pedders Coilovers Front & Rear, 30mm Front 24mm Rear Whiteline Sway Bar, Strut Brace, Camber Kit, Slotted Front Rotors, 1636 Wadecam, Au Injectors, El Ecu, TurboSmart FPR-800 (275kpa), MSD Street Fire Ignition, MSD High Vibration Blaster Coil, Pacemaker 4499, High Flow Cat, 2.5" Sports Exhaust, Twin Pod Filters, El Thermo Fans, 2 Stage Shift Kit, Pioneer Sound System : 123.3RWKW
deathlucky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #16
StookEB

I know everyone is entitled to there own oppinion but I find some of the arguments above quite pathetic.

If you DONT vote you CANT complain about anything politically. I'll never understand why some citizens never register, dont you like Australia???

ALSO the cost to convert to a computerised system would be huge. The public will then complain why this money was wasted and not spent on something like public infastructure.

Some people need to stop complaining about the government and realise how good we have it here in Australia!!!
Old 30-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #17
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathlucky
this is why i don't vote i never enrolled as far as the gov knows i live 300km away in nsw.
When I was 18 and attending TAFE, our teacher told us it was compulsory to enroll. So I enrolled to vote. Found out later that it's not compulsory to enroll, only compulsory to vote once your enrolled. I hate that teacher.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #18
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by EArulz
I know everyone is entitled to there own oppinion but I find some of the arguments above quite pathetic.

If you DONT vote you CANT complain about anything politically. I'll never understand why some citizens never register, dont you like Australia???

ALSO the cost to convert to a computerised system would be huge. The public will then complain why this money was wasted and not spent on something like public infastructure.

Some people need to stop complaining about the government and realise how good we have it here in Australia!!!

Well said,

As for voting online??? is there a reliable carrier in this country that could guarantee all servers are up and running on Poll Day? As ironic as it sounds, what are the levels of computer literacy in the voting population, most of our employees at work openly admit that they couldn't switch on a computer and you want them to vote on one? Can those who still failed to vote say "oh sorry my PC broke that day".

For those who don't vote and don't want your vote to count, I find it strange that you would then want an opinion on most topics in this forum from P Plater laws to Eco legislation.
Old 30-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #19
TadKa
Wait? What?

Electronic voting would ruin Election night. Rather than sitting around getting drunk watching Ray Martin describe how with 2% of the votes counted it's a bit too early to tell. It would just be 6pm polls close 6.01 the new prime minister is... that would suck.
Or is that just me?
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #20
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it is compulsory to enrol, the AEC send people door to door before federal elections to check enrolments and you can be fined for failing to enrol ( but the rarely do it the just give you a form to get enroled)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXR
When I was 18 and attending TAFE, our teacher told us it was compulsory to enroll. So I enrolled to vote. Found out later that it's not compulsory to enroll, only compulsory to vote once your enrolled. I hate that teacher.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #21
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

If anyone doesnt like voting they can move to some place where they shoot you for voting for the wrong person? I think the system is OK adn works well ...... COUNCILS though .... different story, wannabe politicians and are not required.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #22
balthazarr

Quote:

How would the cost to convert be huge when it's already computerised? Anyone can go into their local AEC office and search the roll - on a computer.

Quote:
'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.'
Yes, we generally have it good. But in certain respects, we are lagging behind the rest of the developed world... if people don't complain and politicise certain issues, nothing will ever improve or, worse, will deteriorate.
Old 30-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #23
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
The vote by mail is worse, as they now know who votes for who, no longer private.
Thats not so bad, it means you can now accept bribes to vote for someone, and they can check it. Everyone wins, you get money and they get votes .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 12:30 AM   #24
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I am a resident I'm on the role and vote...
Sometimes I miss the local elections and get sent a please explain??
I usually say I was working which is mostly correct..
Its a boring subject to some but really we get what we deserve at times...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 12:42 AM   #25
BlackLS
yum

Now here's an idea. Vote via bank ATM machine. They're everywhere, secure. You'd just need the bank to link your card with your electoral number. Perhaps the start of the national ID card?

Otherwise I'm for opt-in online voting, and electronic voting in the electoral booths. I don't want to handle those massive long voting forms again!

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
yeah melb north was postal, i wonder if who voted for who will be going in their database?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #27
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
Whilst compulory voting can't be seen as being democratic, the US voluntary system is very flawed. It's OK to be apathetic about the country you live in and the people controlling it - just turn up and get your name ticked off then go home.

The US system, on the other hand, allows you to just stay home. That means that only the nutbag groups who attend mass organisations (the blind followers) and who get told how to vote go en masse and vote, and the non aligned, non nutbag, regular individuals (the unwashed masses) who don't vote because they are too busy, too apathetic or it's just raining and they don't want to go outside - don't wind up getting as well represented.

Ever noticed the bias toward religious nutbag groups, ce and gun toting groups in the US polls? They are all nutbags but vote en masse as a unified group. That is how you skew reality and how you suppress the stupid fools who just 'can't be bothered'.

It's imperative that doesn't happen here - we are just as dumb, but if everyone votes, then the nutbag groups can't get over-represented.
One of the problems that I have with compulsory voting is that the political parties have very sophisticated polling/statistical sytems that allow them to quantify safe/marginal seats.

This often leads to the chasing of marginal seats with pork barreling and often down right stupid policies.

cheers
Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #28
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangq
One of the problems that I have with compulsory voting is that the political parties have very sophisticated polling/statistical sytems that allow them to quantify safe/marginal seats.

This often leads to the chasing of marginal seats with pork barreling and often down right stupid policies.

cheers
Steve
Even though I am against compulsory voting, I can see some benefits. I disagree with your analysis...

Without compulsory voting, not only do the pollies have to convince you to vote for them, they have to convince you to vote, period.

It's hard to convince people of anything with a moderate stance.

Of course, the far-right nutjobs and far-left loonies, will vote in droves - so policies tend to be skewed towards the far right/left.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:37 PM   #29
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

I think that is a rather simplistic view of a complex problem.

People who don't vote have just as much right as anyone else to have an an opinion or view on any given issue...the problem starts when neither party shares your view. Sure, you can vote for the greenies or an independant, BUT since we have a two party preferred system, what happens is your so-called 'valuable' vote is sold to the highest bidder in a preference deal, thus rendering your view worthless. Is it fair then, that one should be forced to cast a vote while knowing it will eventually support the opposing view? I consider abstinance both a form of protest and a means of retaining some small degree of integrity, in that no matter which team of clowns gets in, I didn't help put them there.

As for dollars, I would prefer to see the money spent on overhauling the system rather than spent (wasted) on political advertising in the lead up to an election. I'd imagine one election free of advertising would save more than enough to update the system.

While we don't have it too bad in Australia, it's far from good. The system itself is the major problem. The way the two party system works is that whichever party gains the most seats on a national scale gets the nod. This means any party which does not field a candidate in every electorate is already at a major disadvantage and nigh on impossible for them to win Federal Govt. The chances of an independant getting the job of PM are significantly slimmer again. Indeed, the only way this outcome would be possible would be if every electorate in the country decided to boycott the parties and vote in independants in every electorate...a fanciful notion and possible on paper but the reality is very different.

Then there is the nature of politics, a game which appears to attract only the most unscrupulous of the bottom feeders. Even thieves have too much honour to get into politics. Any potential MP with a scrap of integrity is soon weeded out by those already in the system in order to maintain the status quo. Pollies know they have the best job in the world...what other job allows you to behave like a 5yo with ADD and tourettes AND get paid large sums of money for doing so...and they will go quite a long way to protect that vested interest. Anyone who even looks like rocking the boat soon finds themselves out on their ear a'la Pauline Hanson. She was an idiot, but she shook the place up and got crucified for it.

Sadly, the only way I can see to fix the problem is a complete overhaul of the system itself and sacking every existing politician and replacing them with people with scruples....about as likely as an independant getting the job of PM.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #30
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Every year I have gone in my name has never been on the role. Gone to numerous schools in my area to see if I was on a different role.

I’ve enrolled to vote every year as well.

My solution, I simply don’t vote anymore. If they can’t get it right to begin with, they don’t deserve my vote. And besides. All the people that try to hand out propaganda peeve me off.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post