Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Who was at fault?
The cocky, he should be jailed for this crime like all terrorists 2 0.17%
The girls, they should pay compensation or at least apologise for their dogs 122 10.60%
No one, the dogs were feral and should have been destroyed 35 3.04%
Guns should be totally banned even for farmers 2 0.17%
Guns and meat should be totally banned and we should all be vegies 3 0.26%
Bananas and ice cream taste yummy 987 85.75%
Voters: 1151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Guns and Australian society

In the local rag, The Frasercoast Chronicle, on the front page is a story about some dogs being shot with a picture of a late teen/early 20 girl all sad and frightened.

The story reads that the girl and another female friend are in a rural house that borders on a cattle property. They have (had) two dogs that like to wander over and attak the cattle causing quite a bit of injury. The cocky had complained a few times but the girls seemed to have the "gen y" attitude and were not responsive.

As a last resort the cocky dropped the dogs with a rifle while they were attacking cattle on his RURAL property.

They are now screaming that he should be jailed and lose his gun licence and they are afraid to go home anymore in case he shoots them and whatever other stupid crap they can think of. Police are investigating.

My view is that they are responsible for their dogs and should pay compensation for the damage they caused but I am "old school".

What do the rest of the AFF universe think?

Old 24-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Yeah, basic rural rules - If your dog is hassling stock, expect it to disappear. It's not like he walked in to their front yard and shot them because one barked and he didn't like the look of the other - the dogs were on his property, causing harm to his stock. I take it no one was in tears over calves being chased in to barb wire fences etc?

Edit: http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com....toryid=3790955

That's in fact what they allege... Probably not the wisest decision on the farmer's part.

I love the fact that the dog was called "Precious"!

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
Old 24-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Yeah I'll agree with ya on this. No idea what generation I am (prob Y) but bad luck that the dog got shot. if you cant contain your animals then what happens, happens. Whats to say the dog wouldn't have run out in front of a car and got hit.
Old 24-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love dogs, but dogs owners must be responsible, the cocky (presume farmer) warned them, the ball was in their court, they should have prevented their dogs from getting on to his property if they had achieved this then there wouldnt have been a problem.

Dont think the farmer would get in trouble as they can shoot feral cats provided that they have a gun license

Edit: just read the article - well thats a bit different - two different stories getting the truth is the hard part.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 24-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

He should have shot the girls aswell and buried the bodies...
Old 24-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Farmer's story:
Quote:
A cattle farmer "at his wits end" felt he had no choice but to destroy the dogs which had repeatedly attacked and killed his stock. After watching two of his Brahman cows die after being mauled by a pack of dogs, Dallarnil's Lew Robb had had enough. Repeated attempts to resolve the problem were fruitless. The police and local council didn't seem interested in taking any action. The owner of the animals showed concern but the dogs continued to attack. Robb said he felt he had no other option but to shoot the animals.
http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com....toryid=3790957

Girl's story:
Quote:
He took the law into his own hands and they say the law should take the gun out of his. Craig Cameron and Katrina Schodel say their lives have been turned upside-down since neighbour Lew Robb shot two of their dogs. Tears well in Ms Schodel's eyes as she tells how she quit her job and moved because she was so scared of running into Mr Robb. The couple accept their two-year-old boxer-staffy cross Precious was responsible for killing a cow on Mr Robb's neighbouring property at Dallarnil, near Biggenden, which he rightfully shot. They say they offered to pay for the cow when Mr Robb returned Precious's body which he never did. The real trauma set in, they say, when Mr Robb came into their property wielding a gun and shot their four-year-old boxer-staffy cross, Doza, while they called police.
http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com....toryid=3790955

Sounds like a bloody mess if you ask me. An avoidable one too...

Both were wrong in some form or another. One for the courts me thinks.
Old 24-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Those silly girls obviously didn't love their dogs too much if they allowed them to do that.

The cocky had every right to drop the dogs, can't have them interfering with his livestock and livelihood.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 24-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
burnz
VFII SS UTE

the farmer has the right to protect his income from foxes ferral dog's and rabbit's.
i see no problem in his recourse.
Old 24-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3

Wow, shooting girls, shooting politicians, you're a regular hero aren't ya?
Old 24-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #10
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats how things are done out on the farm. The cocky was well within his rights to take the action that he has to protect his assets.

My grandfather was a cow cocky and I remember him having a rougue dog that got into a neighbours stock. Once they get a taste for terrorizing stock it is impossible to break them out of it.

He shot it as a sign of goodwill towards the neighbours.

If he hadn't I am sure next time the dog got caught it would have been shot by the neighbour, so it was on borrowed time regardless.
Old 24-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3
Geez I hope you are trying to be funny.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 24-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #12
crusher
Dirty ute club member

If the dogs are are your property killing your stock you have the right to destroy them. Its the way its always been and everyone in the country knows that and understands. If you can't control your dogs you shouldn't have them.

A property just down the street from my place has a big sign "ANY dogs trespassing on this property will be destroyed" and its fair enough. There are sheep everywhere and if its your livelyhood you want to protect it.

Yes its sad that the dogs had to be destroyed (Im not getting into the debate that he did it on there property. I am using the impression that they were on his attacking cattle) but if they are causing damage then its what is needed.

Hopefully it can be worked out what actually happened and settled without too much drama. You gotta feel for both parties though.

Also I guess I would be in that gen Y (Im 21) and even I get sick of people my age not taking any responsibility and not using there brain.
Old 24-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #13
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

They say they're to afraid to return home because they're afraid of running into Ivan Milat next door, but if your living with semi-feral dogs, wouldn't that be the case in the first place?
Old 24-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #14
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I'm old school too.

Dog owners (aka 'the girls') at fault. They should have been more responsible.

Dogs paid the price for owners shortcoming (it's a harsh world)

Farmer in the clear.
Old 24-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #15
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
One for the courts me thinks.
I would like to think that in this day and age we don't have to go to court for everything, but unfortunately we seem to be going down the same path as the dumbest nation in the world, the yanks.

The farmer didn't drag these two irresponsible dog owners into court to sue for damages and loss of income, it sounds like he approached them and asked them to keep a tighter lead on the dog in question or there would be consequences.

It would sadden me to think that these same irresponsible dog owners would then drag him through a very costly court case because of their own disregard for their neighbour and his stock which resulted in the untimely demise of their little buffy or snookems, which has casued them to shed a tear.

People need to understand that their actions have consequences and they are responsible for that consequence, rather than looking to blame someone else for that consequence.

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 24-11-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 24-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #16
irlewy86
Meep Meep

A dog that has taken down stock is more than capable and willing to take down a toddler or an elderly person. Maybe when the cocky made the initial complaint to the authorities those ______ should have realised that this was a situation that would end badly. Probably the best result at the end of the day hope the courts agree
Old 24-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #17
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fair enough to shoot the dogs on his property...

but if the farmer comes and shoots my dogs in front of me on my property I'll shoot right back at him !
Old 24-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #18
Hillbilly F Truck

Agree with you 100% flappist. Though, i'm pro guns... so naturally.
Old 24-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #19
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Wow, shooting girls, shooting politicians, you're a regular hero aren't ya?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Geez I hope you are trying to be funny.
HI, I'M SARCASM! YOU SHOULD GET TO KNOW ME!

I back up the farmer, they should have controlled their animals from going onto his property, he told them and they still let it happen, should have downed the girls while he was at it, typical not my responsibility attitude.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. I'm pro guns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 24-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #20
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Im not neccesarily for guns, but the farmer by rights should be allowed to shoot dangerous dogs.

If he's had dog attacks which have killed his cattle, he is well within his rights to defend his livelihood. Theyve already admited to have one wild killer dog, so why would you trust there other pets.

The girl quiting her job because of her neighbour and the loss of a dog, come on, harden up a bit.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Old 24-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #21
rodderz

I'm torn...

The girls are responsible for their pets, but yet I like the 'nana's and ice cream too
Old 24-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Nothing wrong with 'old school' and voted box number 2.

But I also believe that Bananas and ice cream taste yummy...

I bet if the girls got another dog it would never venture into the next paddock ever again.. Shame they needed to learn it the hard way.
Old 24-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #23
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
HI, I'M SARCASM! YOU SHOULD GET TO KNOW ME!

I back up the farmer, they should have controlled their animals from going onto his property, he told them and they still let it happen, should have downed the girls while he was at it, typical not my responsibility attitude.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. I'm pro guns.

Hi SARCASM

You're right, people do kill other people...But I'm pretty sure there's a law about entering someones yard and shooting at their property (ie. the other dog). There's no excuse for that.

Yeah the girls are stupid for ignoring the farmer, but the farmer coming onto their property, possibly threatening them while holding his rifle, then proceeding to shoot their dog is beyond stupidity.
Old 24-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #24
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
I'm torn...

The girls are responsible for their pets, but yet I like the 'nana's and ice cream too

Old 24-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #25
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

guns are a good thing in the right hands, if i had a dog atacking anything of mine i would pull my gun out too, stuff the owner its badly trained dogs
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
Old 24-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #26
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Out my way a roaming dog of the wrong type is shot on sight,we have problems with pig dogs getting loose and lost,Ive had a couple of blokes (non locals) come driving through my property supposedly looking for lost dog's,and while I dont have any stock to speak of I let them know if I see the dog,they wont be getting it back,afterall the feral pigs on the place are mine to take,not for all comers..
I have had to padlock the gates now,and leave a key with the neighbor for the firey's.

what must be remembered is this is the farmers livelyhood,and lifestyle at risk,as if thats ever going to be more important than a dog,although to some,especially the media,anything to do with gun's and hunting is akin to weapons of mass destruction..
Old 24-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #27
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
In the local rag, The Frasercoast Chronicle, on the front page is a story about some dogs being shot with a picture of a late teen/early 20 girl all sad and frightened.

The story reads that the girl and another female friend are in a rural house that borders on a cattle property. They have (had) two dogs that like to wander over and attak the cattle causing quite a bit of injury. The cocky had complained a few times but the girls seemed to have the "gen y" attitude and were not responsive.

As a last resort the cocky dropped the dogs with a rifle while they were attacking cattle on his RURAL property.

They are now screaming that he should be jailed and lose his gun licence and they are afraid to go home anymore in case he shoots them and whatever other stupid crap they can think of. Police are investigating.

My view is that they are responsible for their dogs and should pay compensation for the damage they caused but I am "old school".

What do the rest of the AFF universe think?
With you. I would add that the girls should be charged with cruelty to animals for letting their dogs attack the cattle.

I have seen what a pack of domestic dogs can do to sheep, not a pretty sight.
Old 24-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #28
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Fair enough to shoot the dogs on his property...

but if the farmer comes and shoots my dogs in front of me on my property I'll shoot right back at him !
What the!!!!!

What makes you think the farmer would do that!

What does shooting your dogs on your property have to do with this case?

We arent talking about some crazed animal hating mongrel who gets his rocks off from injuring or killing other peoples animals.

Just a poor farmer who has done all that he can to prevent further stock loss and as a last resort, had to shoot the dog in question.
Old 24-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #29
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we have had to shoot a few feral dogs in the past ( not here in Geelong ) but on our farm

i voted they needed to be shot we have 600 sheep on our farm and for a bit there if it wasn't the foxes it was the dogs so i say get rid of them

Grimus

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #30
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
What the!!!!!

What makes you think the farmer would do that!

What does shooting your dogs on your property have to do with this case?

This was part of the story:

Quote:
They say they offered to pay for the cow when Mr Robb returned Precious's body which he never did. The real trauma set in, they say, when Mr Robb came into their property wielding a gun and shot their four-year-old boxer-staffy cross, Doza, while they called police.
Closed Thread