Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-11-2008, 12:33 AM   #1
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Default Going bananas.

Wonders of Banana

A professor at CCNY for a physiological psych class told his class about bananas. He said the expression "going bananas" is from the effects of bananas on the brain. Read on:

Never, put your banana in the refrigerator! !!

This is interesting.
After reading this, you'll never look at a banana in the same way again.

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.

Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school ( England ) were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation:
High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers:
One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness:
Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites:
Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves:
Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD):
Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking &Tobacco Use: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking.. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal..

Stress:
Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels.. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack..

Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, "A banana a day keeps the doctor away!"

PASS IT ON TO YOUR FRIENDS
PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all the time! I will add one here; want a quick shine on our shoes?? Take the INSIDE of the banana skin, and rub directly on the shoe...polish with dry cloth. Amazing fruit !!!

Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #2
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

Ok Ok now i get the banana!
Old 23-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Banana's, is there anything they can't do?

Loved my Banana flavoured Paddel pops when I was a kid, but i highly doubt that it was anything more than an artificial banana sweetening agent.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 12:46 AM   #4
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

Oh yeah how good was the banana paddle pop, i also used to love the banana big M.
Old 23-11-2008, 02:23 AM   #5
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
Oh yeah how good was the banana paddle pop, i also used to love the banana big M.
I still love the Banana Big M

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just has to be the one fruit I don't like :
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 11:20 PM   #7
Jesk
certified nutter

ummm did i miss something, but was it explained why not to put the banana in the fridge cos all my fruit lives there, i know if you keep them open air with other fruit and veg they will overripen the fruit in no time cos of the ethelyne ?(think thats what it is) gas they give off

so thats another thing, you bought unripe fruit or veg bag it with a banana and itll ripen up well
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 02:06 AM   #8
gemibabe

I always buy banana's. Never have I not because of price. Sometimes even buying the banana's that are dipped in red wax.. think they are organic. Best fruit in the world me thinks
Old 24-11-2008, 02:48 AM   #9
westoftown

holy , and i remember when during the cyclone or flood in Queensland about a year or two ago, banana's reached the hefty sum of $15 a kilo! Although now they are back to normal, afFORDable prices.

Much like the banana crisis, fuel prices have now dropped to just a tip over $1/L, but UN-like the banana crisis, fuel will not stay there for very long . . .
westoftown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 03:46 AM   #10
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd like to live where you do?! Fuel is still 1.30 here in Western VIC
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #11
Jesk
certified nutter

I also remembered the skin can be used as a remedy for scratched DVDs/CDs just lightly rub the soft inside of the skin around the disc then wipe with a soft cloth, the natural waxy part of the skin will sit in the scratches and can allow the dvd to work!
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #12
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesk
I also remembered the skin can be used as a remedy for scratched DVDs/CDs just lightly rub the soft inside of the skin around the disc then wipe with a soft cloth, the natural waxy part of the skin will sit in the scratches and can allow the dvd to work!
Is that for real? I'm willing to give that ago, as long as it is a genuine way to fix them. Also, would it work for xbox games?
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #13
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

banana's, my all time favourite fruit when i was a kid, haven't eaten one in a very long time now.. just got sick of banana's that looked ripe but were all hard inside :(

same with apples, i hate the ones that disintergrate in your mouth - basicly stopped me from eating them regularly because ya cant tell the difference!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Well....Might have to start eating Banana's!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #15
RATT
In a Pug..

Knew there was a reason why I have one a day!
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #16
westoftown

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
I'd like to live where you do?! Fuel is still 1.30 here in Western VIC
Suburban Adelaide, and where i live north-east of the city is consistently the cheapest fuel around town.

Today on my way back home at the shell and woolworths opposite each other 5 minutes from my place was 97.9 with a voucher, 101.9 without.
westoftown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #17
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Wonders of Banana

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!
I can verify this one, had a wart on my foot years ago. Went to the chemist to grab wart-kill. Used too much and got a huge and painfull infection on my foot. The doctor reccomended the Banana trick. Took 2 weeks but was painless and left no scarring. Never come back either.
Old 24-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #18
fast gt

Good keep liking bananas keeps my uncles buisness going
fast gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #19
bob^
LPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
I can verify this one, had a wart on my foot years ago. Went to the chemist to grab wart-kill. Used too much and got a huge and painfull infection on my foot. The doctor reccomended the Banana trick. Took 2 weeks but was painless and left no scarring. Never come back either.
How often were you doing it?
I started today on mine, for each smoko at work when I finish the banana, I just rub the inside of the peel onto the wart for about 20 mins. I'll report back how it goes.
Some websites say just to rub it on, others say to put it under a band-aid.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #20
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
How often were you doing it?
I started today on mine, for each smoko at work when I finish the banana, I just rub the inside of the peel onto the wart for about 20 mins. I'll report back how it goes.
Some websites say just to rub it on, others say to put it under a band-aid.

Took about two weeks. I also had a bit of peel over it day and night,
Old 24-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #21
Hillbilly F Truck

Why not in the fridge?
And my second question is do you 'go bonkers' from bonking?
Hillbilly F Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #22
Hillbilly F Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast gt
Good keep liking bananas keeps my uncles buisness going
He must be spewing that they are letting in the imported bananas from the phillipines. Lot of controversy there.
Old 24-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #23
Hillbilly F Truck

Ahhh.. so thats what those women were doing on that web site. Trying to get rid of warts. Clever little lasses the are too, but the bananas didn't want to stay put. Maybe they didn't think to use some tape.
Old 24-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #24
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It used to be that band-aids heal everything, now it must be banana's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #25
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesk
ummm did i miss something, but was it explained why not to put the banana in the fridge cos all my fruit lives there, i know if you keep them open air with other fruit and veg they will overripen the fruit in no time cos of the ethelyne ?(think thats what it is) gas they give off

so thats another thing, you bought unripe fruit or veg bag it with a banana and itll ripen up well
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy
Why not in the fridge?
And my second question is do you 'go bonkers' from bonking?
Not sure. Maybe food and drink brakes up/digests easier when taken at ambient temperature? But then that would apply to everything other than bananas too.

Bananas are "gassed" before they reach your local store, in a cool-room, with temps around 8 deg iirc just to control their ripening. Obviously, the less of an artificial process a fruit/veg is subjected to the better it is for you, so I would take that comment to mean it's better to have at ambient temp, even if it means more frequent visits to the local fruit shop. Or buy the greener ones for later on.

or

They mean to say there's no need to store them because - after reading this - you WILL eat them all the time?

Edit:

As for your 2nd question, Rob. A few things; it depends on the whether you're the bonker or the bonkee. And of course, what it is you're being bonked by (if you are indeed the bonkee). To get bonked by someone who is already bonkers increases your risk of going bonkers. Whereas a casual bonker - who hasn't yet gone bonkers - is quite safe. Using bananas before and after bonking will eliminate any risk of bonkitous.

Last edited by Falc'man; 24-11-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #26
Hillbilly F Truck

Used to work on a mates banana farm. Enjoyed the work. Loaded them onto the tractor carry-all then up to the sheds to de-hand them. Then dip them into a tub of ripener. I was inspired to have a banana smoothie cause of this thread and worried about the fridge thing as mine were in freezer. Thought maybe a study was done and found something bad about chilled narnies.
Old 24-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #27
Hillbilly F Truck

Having just arrived home from the gym, it was a good post training drink. Sorry about my attempt at humour in my above posts. Don't mean to ruin your thread.
Old 24-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #28
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemibabe
I always buy banana's. Never have I not because of price. Sometimes even buying the banana's that are dipped in red wax.. think they are organic. Best fruit in the world me thinks
I asked about the red wax, thinking it was also organic, then thinking it was to stop insects from spoiling the fruit.

Apparently the red wax is actually a trademark of sorts.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #29
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i heard Eddie Murphy even likes banana`s http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=P5zNzSROpmc
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #30
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I asked about the red wax, thinking it was also organic, then thinking it was to stop insects from spoiling the fruit.

Apparently the red wax is actually a trademark of sorts.
Red wax = Lady finger banana. A sweeter, slightly smaller banana.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post