Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
Mutley

Default Heart Attack Warning

I received a bit of a shock last month - a heart attack at 43.

I'm pretty fit, run 3-4 times a week and work out. I don't drink or smoke, have no family history, have low blood pressure and pulse rate, and my cholesterol was 5.7, just over the recommended 5.5.

What I do have is a very stressful job and home life (high dependant disabled child).

My situation could have been avoided if I had sought tests earlier. I didn't think I needed them because I considered myself to be very fit for my age.

I make this post in the hope that it will trigger someone to get tested which may save their life.

What have I learn't?
Get tested
The top job or house isn't worth it
Get life insurance if you have a family
Get income protection insurance

The cardiologist said nearly 30% of the patients he sees are under 45. The worst offenders are Police officers, CEO's and doctors. I fall within this category.

Approximately 20 of my mates, relations and or work colleagues have been tested since my attack. 2 are now undergoing further treatment.

Mutley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Good advice there, in Vic there is currently an advertising campaign on radio asking everyone to have a check, fortunately for you the first warning was not the last.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
efI_Fairmont

Mate that's very scary stuff, hope you have recovered OK. You are definately right about the flash house and car, etc, not being worth it. It's a shame sometimes it takes a near-death experience to realise these things. Still, better to live and learn, as they say.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery and future good health.
Old 23-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

My gym trainer's 26 year old boyfriend dropped dead last week of a heart attack.

As did a 24 yr old trainee police officer in a friend's class at the academy in Goulburn.

It can happen to anyone at any time.

I remember Stav also had a close call a couple of years ago.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is too much stress in todays society I am 40 and just reassessed everything after a health scare .Learn meditation or taichi or do something relaxing to balance what happens in your worklife
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #6
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

I am 34, diagnosed with high cholestrol, 6.6.
After many blood tests, diet changes and chol drugs, I'm begining to think it's more gentics, than just my diet.

I went on a real health kick a few months, nothing but major fruit and veg.

After 2 tests, chol test said I went up from 6.3 to 6.6.
Doc said to me, pills time. Said OK. But was flabergasted why eating healthily increased my chol. I ate all the right things. Very low fat milk, no eggs, no junky food ra ra ra.

However in eating healthily, I am sort of certain, it gave me / created a reflux issue. Went to stomach doc's had a camera down the gut, ra ra ra.
No issues but most probably reflux.

Doc think's I am a Hypochondriac now. I am sure of it, never seen so many docs in 6 months in my life.
Even told her I lost weight. So I must be doing something right.
So far, I went from being 82kg's, to now of 74.5 kg's in 7 Months.

I am now in a "protest" mode, where I haven't taken my pills for a little while and gone partly back to my old diet, not majorly.
The pill's are a good drug, but not the best drug as it creates a lot of side effects, as I think I might have had one, I am taking a break from them. It got me worried.

But the thing that extremely frustrates me, is that for years, I was on a diet much worse than now and I had a lower reading on my chol test, than eating healthy.
So my "eating healthy" diet created a higher chol reading and gave me reflux. Go figure that!

I wanted to see another doc to get another opinion from another test lab.

So, genetics can also higher your chol reading, than just your diet. Bear that in mind.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #7
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

So whats the 'test'? Since my manager at same age as me had a 'cardiac event' Ive had this on my mind.....

Bout same as you Mutley Id regard myself as fit and healthy but.....

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 11:40 PM   #8
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Thanks for sharing that mate

Definitely agree with you - stress is a killer

The big coin is not worth it

One of the reasons i plan on taking a back seat when i get back to Oz next year along with a BIIIIIIG pay cut.....
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #9
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am 25 and I know I'm heading for an attack before then.
I have grown up around quarrelling, arguing and fighting.
I'm naturally nervous as hell and have bad habits that revolve around this.

I think we all have to understand that regardless of how healthy we live, our time on Earth is incredible finite.
Therefore, enjoy a balanced life with a healthy diet, exercise, and having a social life is incredibly important. Also, hobbies are important. Cars are great.

Though I have no skills in that area, buying a heap and fixing it up over time I reckon would be great fun, and therapeutic in a sense. There is great appreciation in fixing something that was once dilapidated and seeing how great it looks at the end.

On a second property of ours, I've repainted the eaves and fascias on the front unit, and it looks tons better. I also love just brushing away.

We all need as escape.

Since retiring (and having many of the dangers of heart issues like weight (not grossly), family history, high cholesterol and high blood pressure), my father goes bushwalking. Away from the stresses of family, which due to having a brother who makes life hard at times, is important to him.
He also loves gardening.

So live a balanced life, and find a "project". While it cannot prevent everything, it will certainly help.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 11:57 PM   #10
Mutley

Quote:
Originally Posted by efI_Fairmont
Mate that's very scary stuff, hope you have recovered OK. You are definately right about the flash house and car, etc, not being worth it. It's a shame sometimes it takes a near-death experience to realise these things. Still, better to live and learn, as they say.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery and future good health.
Thanks for your reply and words. Lying in hospital with 3 drips in my arms, a cathader, 5 wires for the ECG with tabs stuck to your chest sucking through an oxygen mask for days on end, the 106cm wide screen didn't seem that important.

Being told my two daughters could not visit me because they both had colds and they didn't want me to risk catching the cold incase they had to open me up was really important!

Makes me realise now, how I much I had got things out of context.
Old 23-10-2008, 11:57 PM   #11
ams77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was curious and got tested and guess what high Chol not diet related so on the pills. Got my wife to get checked, also high chol & on pills. Convinced 1 of my sisters to get checked, you guesed it same thing. Did the same with my youngest sis and her too but was able to get hers down with diet. She convinced her husband and low and behold high chol. My sisters bro in law, never been checked, is only 35, had a heart attack 3 months ago due to high chol and survived with a by-pass op.

Mine has started to creep up even on the pills but i know why, pigging out on chips and other crap. I gotta change things NOW. By the way i found out at 43 & been on pills for 5 years.
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO GET CHECKED TOMORROW IF YOU NEVER HAVE. DON'T PUT IT OFF.

What's the test involve? A simple blood test and at the same time they can test your sugar, sodium, liver function, & a couple of other things. All you have to do is fast from the night before and rock up at the Doc's the next morning.
*** For Sale *** Red Flame Auto Allan Moffat Special #280
ams77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #12
Mutley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
My gym trainer's 26 year old boyfriend dropped dead last week of a heart attack.

As did a 24 yr old trainee police officer in a friend's class at the academy in Goulburn.

It can happen to anyone at any time.

I remember Stav also had a close call a couple of years ago.
The 27 year old next to me in hospital didn't make it. Knocked the stuffing out of his fiancee and family. He was really fit too but his family said he lived hard and was very ambitious.

Its not until you are faced with this situation you realise how widespread it is. It makes you wonder how we are getting it so wrong as a society. Rapid increases in heart disease, cancer, diabeties, autism, down syndrome etc.

Perhaps we all need some simpler, cleaner values?
Old 24-10-2008, 12:12 AM   #13
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Some time ago I bought some tags to hang around my neck. I decided to do that when running 10K in 37 degrees one day and knowing the human body has limits I might meet on a deserted track with no ID, phone etc...

But the engraving is the important part 'live each day like its your last'. And pack each day with your kids with all the knowledge and wisdom you can impart on them, as you wont necessarily grow old around them. They're your best legacy.

Above sound depressing? Nah....quite the reverse. Every day is a good day. Onya for posting Mutley ;)

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 12:30 AM   #14
Mutley

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
So whats the 'test'? Since my manager at same age as me had a 'cardiac event' Ive had this on my mind.....

Bout same as you Mutley Id regard myself as fit and healthy but.....
Blood test and a stroll on a tread mill. Easy
Old 24-10-2008, 01:18 AM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Your gonna hate me

Had a full test done to me in sept (company paid for)

Blood pressure quite low (mind you I just had a coffee and two smokes)
Cholesterol was 3.8 (apparently its hard to get below 4)
ECG was normal, no issues.
And was warned of nothing as the rest was normal.

Now I don't exercise, I smoke, eat whatever, drink 5 coffee's a day.
As opposed to a friend of mine who exercises like mad and has high blood pressure.

Some of this stuff is genetic as my dad is the same.
The only thing I'm concerned with is anything to do with diabetes as it seems to run on my dad's side of the family.

But hope you this doesn't happen to you again and you live a long life.
Old 24-10-2008, 01:18 AM   #16
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

A work colleague of mine just had another heart attack, think he's had a few now, diabetic too. The poor bastard is still in intensive care. He looked fine on the Friday before then I come in to work on Monday and they tell me he's off in hospital again with another heart attack.

My cholesterol is high, last time I had it checked I was at 5.3. Little bit before that it was 5.6. Doctors reckon its ok.

One thing to remember about cholesterol is that it takes a long long time naturally get rid of it so even if you suddenly start a health kick it won't just disappear overnight and most often will NEED medication to lower it down to normal levels. Changing your diet and almost eliminating cholesterol (your body actually needs very small amounts of cholesterol to enable your cells to live) is the first thing needed followed by exercise and possibly drugs if it doesn't decrease by itself (which quite often it won't).

I'm probably not in good shape, I am very unfit and I eat a lot of junk, but at least I'm nowhere near overweight (I'm almost underweight) so 1 out of 3 ain't bad I guess. And I don't smoke or drink much either so no big problems there.

The worst things I have is serious lack of sleep, no exercise and junk. I try to avoid stress but not giving a crap
Old 24-10-2008, 02:00 AM   #17
Silversurfer

scaring the crap out of me who needs to get of his .
I want be around for my wife and 3 kids.
Ok I need to lose 30 kilos to get to 100kg.
Will start walking tommorrow,
Life is too valuable not to do it.
Committment has been made, hopefully should be healthier by March 2009.
Keep you all posted :
Silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 02:11 AM   #18
Mutley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversurfer
Keep you all posted :
Good on you Silver Surfer. Make sure you take the kids on a walk with you if you can. My kids have become addicted to our new walking programme!

As my Cardiologist said, your greatest fatherly duty is to walk your girls down the isle
Old 24-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #19
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread really brings home a lot.

Our town has lost one of our finest gentlemen on Monday night, workaholic, heart bigger than phar lap........... As someone said, he gave so much of his heart it finally broke :(

Yes he had a heart attack. The town has lost a legend.

I have now realised that I am not young anymore ........ scary but true....... Mutley, I am only a year younger than you ...... If it can happen to you it can happen to anyone.

I have just gone & got all my 'womens' check up done but did fail to ask about all of this other stuff ....... I will book the tests ASAP ...... funny how as my mothers side all suffered cancer I have & continue to have those tests but dads side has heart problems & I had never really given it much thought to get that checked.
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #20
Wally
XP Coupe

Hope you get well Mutley and I hope you get over your anxiety uranium_death.

It's a funny thing we blokes put ourselves through. On one hand we are so valuable an individual that nobody else can do the job as well, yet we seem to put more effort and stress into doing it than our colleagues. As family men we tell ourselves we are building a comfortable lifestyle for the wife and kids, but are rarely there for them in spirit because we are forward thinking our next move at work. We are so precious and genetically superior we don't need to be hanging around doctor's receptions for medical checkups, besides which the time could be better spent building a comfortable lifestyle for the wife and kids. The we hit our fifties and start seeing a reflection of some aged bloke with a less than desirable physique...[thoughtbubble] wtf that's not the 17 yearold Adonis that once housed my superior brain! [/thoughtbubble]
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #21
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=MotherNature]I have just gone & got all my 'womens' check up done but did fail to ask about all of this other stuff ....... QUOTE]

My Mum is over 60, and she doesn't listen to me when I tell her to get a bloody pap smear. She literally doesn't listen!

Glad to see you are doing the right thing by yourself and family.

No longer can we wait for symptoms because by the time symptoms appear, it may be too late.

Sam Newman is an example who just by pure chance, got a blood test done and was found to have a high white blood cell count. From thereon, it was determined he had prostate cancer (after a more formal test) and was able to be operated on in time.

So the lesson is "Do not wait for things to happen, or advance to the point of no return."

Don't snap my undies.
Old 24-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #22
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

I know this might a bit silly, but it's now in that "by gone" era.

I remember when, watering the lawn was therapeutic.
Sucking down a beer after a hot hard day at work, and watering the lawn at dusk.

But because of water restrictions, I have now lost a therapy session with the lawn.

*****Whooops****** Back to reality.

Still sucking on a beer, but it's depressing watching dead grass!
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #23
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Waggn
I know this might a bit silly, but it's now in that "by gone" era.

I remember when, watering the lawn was therapeutic.
Sucking down a beer after a hot hard day at work, and watering the lawn at dusk.

But because of water restrictions, I have now lost a therapy session with the lawn.

*****Whooops****** Back to reality.

Still sucking on a beer, but it's depressing watching dead grass!
Hank Hill?

Don't snap my undies.
Old 24-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #24
Hillbilly F Truck

Mutley, sounds like you did everything right and still had a set back. Just goes to show there are no certainties in life no matter how well we cross the I's and dot the T's. At 34 and being very regular gym attendee since 1991, with focus on bodybuilding, power training isn't likely to save my bum either. Thanks for raising the awareness as I was shocked to hear some of those young ages including yours. 43 is still very young in my opinion. Get well soon mate.
Hillbilly F Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #25
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversurfer
Keep you all posted :
Hey Silversurfer. BEFORE you start exercising see a Doctor first. This is VERY important.
When he gives you the go ahead to start, get a photo of your kids and laminate it. Then carry this with you when exercising as motivation.

just me tip!!

GOOD LUCK
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 08:29 PM   #26
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley
I received a bit of a shock last month - a heart attack at 43.

I'm pretty fit, run 3-4 times a week and work out. I don't drink or smoke, have no family history, have low blood pressure and pulse rate, and my cholesterol was 5.7, just over the recommended 5.5.

What I do have is a very stressful job and home life (high dependant disabled child).

My situation could have been avoided if I had sought tests earlier. I didn't think I needed them because I considered myself to be very fit for my age.

I make this post in the hope that it will trigger someone to get tested which may save their life.

What have I learn't?
Get tested
The top job or house isn't worth it
Get life insurance if you have a family
Get income protection insurance

The cardiologist said nearly 30% of the patients he sees are under 45. The worst offenders are Police officers, CEO's and doctors. I fall within this category.

Approximately 20 of my mates, relations and or work colleagues have been tested since my attack. 2 are now undergoing further treatment.
As Feathers has pointed out I went down hard 2.5 years ago.At the age of 37 a kung fu fanatic...Then after a busy week of installing a fence I felt really tired. After watching a movie with the kids I stood up and had severe pain in my solar plexus area.Then I could not hold my arms up..pain shot into my elbow and wrists..I knew I was in danger.I drove myself to hospital (silly me) and was admitted.That night I could not breathe and had a good idea that I was going to die. Dying didnt worry me...my kids did. Luckily I went in and got 3 stents from the blocked arteries.
The major contributor to heart attack is blood clotting from strenuous exercise ,extreme stress of being the number one installer and installation business.Also the crap we put in our mouths plays a massive part to our health.
Studies have shown that eskimos had the lowest occurance of heart disease due to their diet high in seal blubber which contains mega doses of omega 3.

My advice to people is to be kind to yourself.Your mind is the king of this illness.Nothing is worth worrying about that much.Life takes care of itself with or without us.
Did you get stents?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #27
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I had no income protection...the protection was my die hard attitude..Dad drove me to work and lifted my tools.Iwent back to work in 4 weeks. Wasnt easy walking around but my pride and fighting spirit would not let me stop..lol

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #28
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Did getting to hospital quickly help you? I have heard that the quicker you get to a doctor the better because they can administer drugs and carry out procedures which slow or prevent the heart tissue dying and thus making you recover a LOT quicker.
Old 24-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #29
gtfpv
GT

always get tested . doctors are to happy to test.
i have been burning the candle at both ends this year . a full time shift worker . and a 2nd job. thought i could keep going . till the other night a few weeks ago .. went to bed . dreamt about working all night. woke up unable to breathe at 4 am . got up walked around gasping for 2 hours . i was exhausted also. about to ring an ambulance when it got better. tiredness took over and i went back to bed . and slept till afternoon. went to gp that day still slightly out of breath. he panicked and quickly ordered chest xrays and urgent blood tests and ecg. . by 2hours i'd know if i'm going from gp to hospital . results were all normal . still very scary. i think you can drop dead from stress, even if you dont no it . since then i have been unable to keep up the long hours, and have been sleeping up to 12 hours . along with the guilt you can get because you cant go flat out working , and the missing life feeling you get , you can end up a mess .
there is so much more to it than just high cholesterol and genetics .
the most important thing is toi rule out health problems . from there on work on everything else . an unhealthy lifestyle can be very very addictive . just as an over healthy lifestyle can kill you .
society . especially us men . working longer and harder the older we get while life slips us by, can be almost impossible to escape . i've got so much more to say , i could go on for pages and pages .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #30
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If this stuff goes by genetics, now I know how Dad and I are going, 8 out of 9 of his Uncles died by heart attack or cancer and the last one left has prostate cancer.

I should coax Dad into getting a test but he wont listen because he hates needles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post