Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Default Bit of hail in Coffs today

Had hail at my place for the first time in ages, unfortunatley the XR had to weather it, as the GT has preferance under cover ofcourse

Old 21-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Stealth00

Whats hail? Can't remember ever seeing any.
Stealth00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

you are about 2000km away
Old 21-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not good. Hope no damage for you. It does take a fair size piece of hail to cause damage though.

I got a 2 month old BA2 Fairmont company car trashed when I got caught in a hailstorm at Ulladulla (NSW) in 2005 I think. Every panel was replaced except the bumpers. Fleet manager told me the bill for the insurance company came to about $16k. Hail was about 5cm with a few 8 cm specials. Was actually just south of Burrill Lake. Later saw a track of the BOM radar echo's and we were is a very narrow super-cell tract about 300m wide I, and 3 others got caught in. Maybe I should have gunned that amber traffic light 50 k's back??? At 100km/h that might have seen me clear of the worst of it...

My little bro copped some smaller hail up your way a few years ago as well. A few very minor dints but was an insurance job. Kew? can't remember.

My Mum also had her EL co car trashed in the 99 Sydney storm at St Peters in Sydney. A piece hit the roof above the interior light and glass (from the bulb) or plastic cut her arm.

Scary as hell when we were caught in Ulladulla one though. On side of the highway with very tall timber and branches coming down hard (huge wind too). Glass smashing and a sound like you have never heard before.

Seems my family is a sucker for hail hey? Who wants to come for a cruise with us....
Old 22-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

We had hail here in Merriwa this morning and went on for about 15 or more minutes. I woke up to a clap of thunder next thing i hear hail on the roof..go out and it was only small but i still covered up my car with a few old blankets. Just as i got back onto the verandah the hail got to a decent 2cm and absolutely hammered down. After it all stopped i went to check for any damage and am happy to say i got out of it with no damage that i can see.

I have heard the hunter region can be a bugger for hail. Singleton had hail the size of golf and cricket balls years ago but this is the first time since ive lived here that i have seen hail even if it was only small. Hoping i never have to experience the massive hail.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Had a bit of hail up here in Brisbane last night too. Crazy weather.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Had a bit of hail up here in Brisbane last night too. Crazy weather.
What are you on Dan, no hail in Brisbane not in Redcliffe :
Old 22-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51RTE
What are you on Dan, no hail in Brisbane not in Redcliffe :
Hey leave me alone!

Honestly, we actually did get some hail over my way, albeit for only 25 minutes or so.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Noone believes me down here, but we had hail in Kirrawee (Sydney) about lunch time. Only very small bits, I only noticed as I saw them sliding down the windscreen while I sat in the car eating lunch.
Old 23-10-2008, 01:27 AM   #10
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankclare
I have heard the hunter region can be a bugger for hail. Singleton had hail the size of golf and cricket balls years ago but this is the first time since ive lived here that i have seen hail even if it was only small. Hoping i never have to experience the massive hail.
NBN News 23/10/08 had video from the NSW North Coast I think, cricket ball size hail, some of which penetration corrugated roofing right through a workbench.

Iron or aluminium, I do not know - but was a shed.

Recall the 1991/2 Sydney hail storm, swore after that I'd never have 'tiles', well its 2008 and I have tiles, wonders then just what material is best hail resistant?!
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post