Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default possible auto dramas

Gday fellas,this is mostly related to my auto trans but I want to pick the owners brains of AUs to get a better,AU only related answer so I wil post this here in the AU section before the transmission forum.

Ive been spending too much time on the AU sr wagon lately for my liking,with trying to fix the timming case oil leak(still not completely sorted),replaced the radiator and fitted an external trans cooler.

Now the trans seems to not be changing into top gear or overdrive on the expressway or from 80ks and it will rev at around 200-400 rpm higher( or About 2400rpm at 110ks) than our au ghia will at the same speed.
Since ive done the external tran cooler I have noticed this but cant be certain,my concern is (or one of them) would be the extrenal cooler size I fitted which now bypasses the new (manual) radiator totally.
I told the guy at the spares shop this trans will now be reliant souly on the new external cooler and he has suggested I choose this unit which,I think may be too small for the job.Its about 400 x 200 x 25mm(any one know the capacity of the radiator internal trans cooler for an AU).
After the cooler was fitted,I topped up the oil in the box but has since not changed into D-Drive from reverse a few times now for 5-10sec and no drive.

The next concern is,do the gear selector solinoids require replacing on AU box's after 250ish ks or is it worth going down the low k box route instead???
And can the higher revs(gear selection) be related to the TPS sensor as it may have been moved when LPG was recently installed????????

Any help would be appreciated,Im getting close to just considering now buying both a low Ks eng/trans and replacing the lot due to it having done 250ks now?????? Sorry for the long post : :

V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Your spare parts man has given you a tiny cooler. He has not done you any favours. Get the biggest tranny cooler money can buy.

From the sounds of the car not selecting drive from reverse it sounds like low oil.Recheck it soon. If you have done 250,000 kays on one box then you have a miracle on your hands. Recheck the oil my mate..Im not the best at finding problems but at least I am trying.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

How much oil does the new cooler and lines take to fill? That's the amount of fluid needed to be added.

I'm not a mechnic, but low fluid, even slightly low can cause all sorts of gremlins. I had my box fully flushed (lines etc) and I had the box slipping and doing a few odd things.

I took it back and it needed less than 750mls of oil and it came back to me, smooth and reliable as before.

Hope that helps.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh,thanks guys,I filled the trans cooler before I fitted it,then I topped up the box,but its still playing up,Im taking this small trans cooler back thursday and going for the biggest one they have ,top up the oil and see how it goes,I got more prices for low k engine and box's today $950 with less than 80ks 2002 au3.
So id feel more inclined to do repairs that arnt going to be a waste on a newer drive train.

See what happens.
Regards
Old 26-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok,got the new big trans cooler,topped up the oil and seems to have solved the problem ,it was the torque converter locking up,not enough oil.Thanks for your help guys.

Regards
David