Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-06-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Jo Jo, our new pup

Hey fellas just thought I'd share a few quicks pics of our new 8 week old pup Jo Jo, he's bulldog X sharpei. I thought I wouldnt mind having something different and since we picked him up relatively cheap he had to come home with us.

Just a couple of Q's however;

Whats the best thing to relieve his constant need to chew?
Also when should we expect him to stop crying since he left his brothers and sisters?

So far he's been a gem, he's taken a liking to everybody so quick and loves to play. He also got used to his new home in no time and even listens sometimes!! (only the basic things like his name and to come to you) The next big step is toilet training him, so far I've been flat stick cleaning up after him but with some time and patience It's just a matter of time. He's great so far and I'll keep the thread updated

ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Ringo
I see you....

Mrs Ringo and I give our two spoilt furry kids Lucky Dog Chewy Sticks almost daily. Available at the supermarket for about $10-12 for a box of 100.

When they were pups they always had a few of them on the go lying around the place because they would pick them up and then leave them when something else took their attention but they don't smell and they don't get dirty etc or attract ants like bones do so it is not so much of an issue.

Now they are 18 months old they get bones regularly and now one chew stick each per day. They come running when they hear the plastic crickle as I handle the packet. I give them to them after dinner to keep them awake into everning or else they go the sleep and wake up when we are going to bed and want to play. Takes them about 20 minutes to get through them with adult teeth. With a puppy it will take a lot longer. With the cruchy sticks they are gone in less than 1 minute.

http://www.luckydog.com.au/ourRange/treats.aspx

There are other chew toys around, including soft toys which also help but these chew sticks have been a consistent winnner for us.

I have also discovered by accident (you can imagine how...) about dogs loving the cruch of raw pasta. They now get a handful of home brand pasta spirals and treat them like they are some wicked chrished treat. Not sure if its OK for a puppy but when its older perhaps.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a beautiful little man. Has he got a blue blotched tongue?? My cousin got a sharpei cross a while back and it is an awesome dog.

Keep persisting with the toilet training, he'll work it out. A dog door is a monumenatl investment as we found out.

His natural instincts to chew probably wont go away but it will subside as he gets older. The important thing to remember is that he will be a decent sized active dog so it will pay to take him out to a park or the beach etc etc and take a ball or stick or what ever that he can play with and fetch. Go to your local butcher and get him some normal bones and a marrow bone(they cut it down the middle) but it might be a bit big for him yet.

The treats we use for our dogs are called natures gift and we get them from Wollies. Have a look at them as they small dog sized and soft and they under $2 a packet.

I love dogs

I's also reccomend joining a dog club that holds classes on Saturday/Sunday mornings. My aunty and uncle used to run their own and i helped out a couple of times and the people there took so much away from the classes which made having their dogs so much easier.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
SNGT
BOSS 290

my lil husky, chilli, wouldn't stop chewing but at puppy school they told us every time ur pup is chewing or using their mouth in a way u dont want them too, u immediately grab their snout with ur hand and hold it shut followed by a loud and firm "NO" (and no only, don't follow with any other words). this must b done every time with the voice command. and b constant on it. as the master u must show more patience than the dog. trust me its hard, especially with one of the most stubborn and smartest dog breed being the Siberian husky.
heres a foto of her a few months ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00157.JPG (135.6 KB, 70 views)
SNGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
shane3
FPV GT 0915

when we got our labradoodle we kept him at the side of the bed (only to sleep, at night) in our room for the first 2 months, no whimpering, no crying, we had a clock and a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel in his bed as well as one of my old T shirts,

As for chewing we got him onto pigs ears ASAP as well as raw hide chews, we got the ones that are tied in a knot, cut them in half and put peanut butter in side it as well as honey, he loves them, If you catch him chewing something that he shouldn't be, take it off him and VERY sternly tell him NO! and NEVER!!!!! and I say NEVER hit the dog when you catch him chewing some thing he shouldn't, as that will make him run away and hide and as you know a scared dog is dangerous.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post