Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #1
Bionic XR8
Sharp Shooter

Default Bugs in your car!

So has any one had a funny, bad, bug, spider story in their car? Well here is mine...

A long time ago it seams, now any way, I was driving my new EB11 XR6 at night. No worries there. I go under a street light and spot a HUGE Huntsman spider on the wind screen. No dramas I think, she is out side.

Next street light I suddenly realize that it is in the INSIDE eyeballing me about 12 inches in front of my face. OMG, WTF do I do now? I have to dispatch it or the thing will run down into the vents and up my leg at any given time later on. I hate spiders to the max level so its got to go.

Well all sorts of methods cross my mind. These spiders move like the wind so I knew I had but one chance. So I lean over to the glove box, pull out a book and whack the thing hard. Drops to the dash, dead. So I thought any way.

About 4 or 5 kms later with this thing on my dash it comes to life. Turns out I only stunned it. Faaaark. Its pulling itself alond the dash like a wounded monster out of Stargate SG1. Whack it again.

So that was a fun drive.....

davidsobikphotography.com
Bionic XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 12:35 AM   #2
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

I left the car window down one night, To find a paper wasp had moved in, and made a nice little nest on my back seat. I just heard the buzzing noise at first then spotted the little blighter hehe Easy to remove too

cheers
scott

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Wasn't my car, but a friend's sister was driving myself and her then boyfriend into the city for her sister's 21st.

She noticed when she picked me up that there was a moth in the car (festiva), and so we had to open all the doors and hatch to let it escape, because she was scared of it being in the car while she was driving.

When she was satisifed that it was gone, and we'd almost frozen to death outside we all got back in and headed off.
Got onto Parramatta Road and I spot the moth flying around.
Not wanting to make Rosei panic, I ask quietly if she would wind down her window (so it could fly out).
When she turns her head to find the window winder, she sees the moth against the glass and screams.
Then in her attempt to move away from it turns the steering wheel hard left, and we end up in the next lane, facing the way we'd come.

I thought I was going to die.

Personally I've had one of those really small roaches in the car.
I saw it on the dash, and squealed, but managed not to lose control.
It got flicked out the window at the next set of lights.

I actually panicked more when I went to adjust the rearview mirror in my old car and it fell off the windscreen into my hand.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford

Last edited by Feathers; 19-04-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 12:50 AM   #4
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
Personally I've had one of those really small roaches in the car.
I saw it on the dash, and squealed, but managed not to lose control.
It got flicked out the window at the next set of lights.
If it was one of those light brown ones, Nice work! they are damn quick.

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 02:05 AM   #5
xy500
Constant annoyance

Default bugs mmmm

yeah i've had the old huntsman in the car scare a few times, those things are amazing at finding a way in!
first time it happened it starts running up the inside of the windscreen, i got a bit of a fright (accompanied with a girlish squeal) then composed myself, quietly pulled over and ejected the little furry beast in the manliest possible way, the experience reminds me of that man cans ad. Luckily this happens while i'm doing about 30 so my girlish antics didnt result in a prang.

Second time was funnier, was doing the trip back from perth on the highway when one shows itself; again running up from the windscreen vents to the shade on the roof. me thinking i'm gonna be manly and impress the missus let her know in a deep voice, "theres a huntsman in the car, i'm pulling over and i'm gonna get rid of it". of course she freaks out a little, but we pull over and i begin the the ejection process. at first the thing was under the drivers shade, but as i tried to slowly open it to get a shot at him with a newspaper he scuttles over to the passenger side (to a now freaking out missus) so i then quickly pull the passenger shade down and take a quick precise swing with the newspaper, which had me hit the missus in the head and knock the huntsman into her lap.
after an interesting few moments the spider is outside and the missus is well and truly :
it was well worth the laughs though
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 03:41 AM   #6
jeremyevans

had a prob with a spider setting off my car alarm in the night.

the funniest thing that happened to me is that we have adder nests (the only poisonous snake in britain) at the top of our back garden and the young are released at the same time every year. it's like something from the bible seeing all these foot long baby adders coming down the garden path.

this local wildlife park were looking to introduce them into their area, so i popped 21 babies inot a bucket and drove there.

yep. you guessed it, when i parked up and counted out, there were only 20.

it was lost somewhere inside the car and i did have visions of a year down the line, whilst driving down a motorway, to have all of a sudden this five foot snake coming up between my legs.

never did find it. although the car is sold now.
jeremyevans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 04:08 AM   #7
Phyber
BF= Backend's Farked

These stories are awesome! I've had a few run ins with huntsmans too...one appeared on the car while getting ready for a trip into Freo...thought we shooed it away so we take off...about to pull out of the servo a bit later and there it is on the windscreen...wipers on - this only moves the thing onto the driver's window, and the driver being a female who isn't fond of spiders, she freaks out a bit but we continue the drive since we're almost there...we arrive at the pool hall and she wouldn't get out of the car until we'd gotten rid of it, she was terrified by that time! Eventually got it off, think we squished the poor thing but oh well

I'm not one to leave my windows down in the garage now after reading a previous creepy crawly thread here, having a huntsman on my lap wouldn't be the rush I look for while in a car!
Phyber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 05:04 AM   #8
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Another huntsman story from me, driving home one night about 10pm, just hit the freeway doing about 80kph, glance down at the speedo, BIG huntsman backlit by the dash lights, scared the absolute 5hit out of me (another schoolgirlish squeal e ). I then grabbed a shirt off the passengers seat and proceeded to 'exterminate' the spider, being as excitable as I was smashed the buggery out of the plastic speedo cover. Not a fun experience.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #9
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just arrived from NZ in 1986, driving along the Pacific Motorway from the Gold Coast to Brisbane, huge huntsman appears in the back of the rental car, bear in mind no spiders of that size exist in NZ plus of course we had heard all the horror stories of all these deadly insects over here that will kill you with one bite, you just can imagine the panic, car swerving all over the road, 4 kiwis in panic, thinking their all going to die from this "huge poisonous spider", iv'e never heard such screaming in my life, all in the confines of a small Toyota Corolla too, my sister practically sent me death!!
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #10
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not so much in the car that on the car
Years ago we had to replace a clutch in a gemini wagon we pushed it from the grass to the driveway whacked it on the stands and proceeded to remove the bits and pieces
We were at the last bit and the box was resting on my mates chest when a family of Huntsmans came a running (mummy and about 100 about the size of a 10c piece) went beserk as we disturbed them from their slumber.
The 3 of us squeeled like school girls and we done the brave thing and bugged out leaving one of us under the car by himself with a grear box on his belly (not me) and all these spiders running over him and into his clothes.
For years later all you had to do while sitting aroung having a beer was throw a leaf at him and he squeeled and jumped about 6 feet
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Cool flies

As you can probably imagine I forgot to get rid of all these flies before getting into the car...

Later I found an easy way to get them out of the car:
just drive fast and open one of the windows- they get sucked out.

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #12
XH XR6

drove into a swarm of bees with the windows down after making the decision to skip the last half of school. Luckily it was my old ea with no aircon so on the 40deg day had all the windows down so most passed through but there were a few that died after hitting the rear window and ended up over the parcel tray

ben
XH XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #13
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was driving along with the missus & kids in the car - when a huge huntsman appeared on the outside (luckily) of the front windscreen & slowly walked around to the the rear side window. Wife was freaking out & kids were getting a bit anxious - especially as it was moving towards them (even though it was still on the outside).
Anyhow, tried to speed up & blow it off - but no luck, so to placate the wife & kids I agreed to pull over & dispatch it. Pulled to a stop & out of nowhere a starling swoops down & gobbles the spider up before I even had a chance to open the car door.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 11:39 AM   #14
phoenix99

I had a spider about a good 5-6 cm diameter (if u live in the country you will know about the insanely big spiders) on my dash i.e where the speedo is. As soon as I saw it I hit the brakes got out and ran home, I lived in a small country town so not a big walk. Returned next day with mortein and sprayed the whole can in my car!!

If you havent guessed I hav a bit of a spider phobia
phoenix99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #15
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyevans
had a prob with a spider setting off my car alarm in the night.

the funniest thing that happened to me is that we have adder nests (the only poisonous snake in britain) at the top of our back garden and the young are released at the same time every year. it's like something from the bible seeing all these foot long baby adders coming down the garden path.

this local wildlife park were looking to introduce them into their area, so i popped 21 babies inot a bucket and drove there.

yep. you guessed it, when i parked up and counted out, there were only 20.

it was lost somewhere inside the car and i did have visions of a year down the line, whilst driving down a motorway, to have all of a sudden this five foot snake coming up between my legs.

never did find it. although the car is sold now.
You may receive a phone call...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #16
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
You may receive a phone call...
Unless of course the new owner is enjoying having a five foot snake between their legs..

ahem.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #17
andrewts
White Car Driver

I was being driven by mum to a mates place, and my knee was itchy, so I gave it a scratch and this spider ran down my leg. Now, I am scared out of my mind of spiders, so I flicked it like a little girl and it went up into the dash somewhere...

Every spider is deadly when they scare you to death.
Old 19-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I had a tiny spider crawl up the windscreen(inside)in front of me while I was driving my old laser a few years ago. It went above my head so I was trying to squash it with my finger. While I was trying to squash it, I forgot that I was still driving at around 80km/h on a busy road and went straight up the kerb. Luckily no damage. e
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #19
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was driving home from work and saw a huntsman crawling on the rear window. It managed to hang on at 90km/h. Was careful when I got out to close the door quick and later came out armed with Baygon spraying little gaps to flush it out and kill it. Couldn't see it anywhere. Went out the next night and came home thinking it must be gone. Didn't go out the next day and went into the garage late in the afternoon to see this king size Huntsman sitting square in the middle on top of the car roof. Got the Baygon and gave him a good spray. Because it was big and fat even the Baygon took a while to kill it. What the spider had been doing while the car was parked was travelling over almost every inch of the car and leaving a web trail. It never got inside though.

Fortunately at home I see very few huntsmans, mostly those tiny jumping spiders and some medium sized ones. Must have something to do with few trees
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #20
reds89

half a tin of insect spray,shut doors and windows,leave overnight all dead next morning,works every time.
reds89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #21
Phyber
BF= Backend's Farked

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
What the spider had been doing while the car was parked was travelling over almost every inch of the car and leaving a web trail.
"Wow man how'd you get that cool thin silk strand pearl effect on your paint job, something that custom musta been expensive!"
Phyber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #22
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not in a car, but a few weeks ago i was on the school bus coming home from school, the usual, put my ipod earphones in and listen to some music until i hear some VERY loud screaming from the people behind me, i turn around on on the other window opposite me there was this massive huntsman spider bigger than my hand trying to run towards the front of the bus, all the GUYS where jumping around and screaming, one guy ran down the front of the bus while the others on the back seat all squashed into the corner, then the spider fell off the window and one of the girls squished it, then threw it at us.

Biggest spider i've ever seen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #23
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

at work this morning i was driving a landcruiser. looked over to my mate and said " you should probably take your hat off and shake it out the window" he gave me a puzzeled look and took his hard hat off to find a large brown hairy spider about 4 inchs across happilly sitting on the top of his hat. most have had a good view out the windscreen from there.

i have found plenty of spiders ,etc in cars while driving, dont worry me too much unless they run up your leg at night. makes you jump a bit.

when i was working on other peoples cars i would often find cockroach nests and ant nest under the carpets and behind dashes. a few red back nest behind dash boards too. BMWs seemed to be a favorite car for cockroachs.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #24
Kryton

i put my firends bin out one night just before i left.
driving home i could feel something on the back of my hand but didnt pay much attention to it.
as i clicked on the left indicator i could see an outline of something on the back of my hand - a HUGE BLACK SPIDER!
pedals went to the floor, the door got flung open and the spider got evicted quick smart.
must have been a funny sight though.

just tonight i climb into the car and there a great big huntsman sitting on my dash.
i looked at it - i think it looked at me, as it started to scurry away in the other direction when i went for my boot.
Boot 1 - Spider 0.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 11:31 PM   #25
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I left my window down one night hopped in the car at 2am only to find one of those late night garden spiders that mum refuses to let me kill had made a web about 2 meters long stretching from the back seat to the front window and it was sitting there directly in between the driver and passenger seat at face level. Never **** my self so much.

Havn't left my window open since then

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 12:32 AM   #26
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Driving home one night, something tickled my leg so i scratched it not thinking beforehand, i had squashed the fattest, juciest redback you have ever seen, all over my left leg...ew...

Not a creepy crawly as such...

I was laying down in the back of the XD, waiting for a mate, had my drivers side windows down, and a bloody bird flies in and smacks into the passenger front window!
From the shock and sudden BANG! i bashed my head on the door :(

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 04:06 AM   #27
jeremyevans

how many animals are poisonous in australia all together. like i mentioned the adder snake is the only one in this country (uk) and if you should get a bite off it, it's very rarely fatal. unless of course you go into anaphalactic shock.

you hear stories about the blue octopus (hope i named it correctly) and that it is only tiny and yet is deadly.
Old 20-04-2008, 04:07 AM   #28
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

What gets me is that, how do moths and flies get ino your high mount brake light and interior light?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 04:09 AM   #29
jeremyevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
What gets me is that, how do moths and flies get ino your high mount brake light and interior light?
hey you're up late. it's only six ten in the evening over here and i'm not going to hit the town till nine.
Old 20-04-2008, 04:10 AM   #30
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyevans
hey you're up late. it's only six ten in the evening over here and i'm not going to hit the town till nine.
Just got home from the pub!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post