Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
deathlucky
Awesome Member

Default police mobile 92 in a 90 zone did he catch me?

i was just driving home along a motorway in a 90 as i passed a mobile police speed cam i look down and my speedo was reading 92. what speed do they go off? at i didnt see any flash.

thanks

deathlucky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

What State are you in?? ... i know in South Australia they give you a 10% speed Leaniancy ... but Victoria they do not??
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

it depends if your speedo is acurate or not. it is common for speedo's to be out 3-4 k's either way. if yours is out the wrong way then i sorry but chances are you got done, this is why most speed cameras give 3k's allowance, however it is more than likely it will be 3 k's under what it tells you, i know mine is 3 k's under.

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
deathlucky
Awesome Member

i live in qld and have 195/75/14 tyres on the back
Old 12-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

i believe they allow 10% with mobile detection systems in QLD eg in cop cars or radar guns but i think fixed cameras are 3 k's

CURRENT
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS

See my car HERE
Old 12-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

If you were speeding past a mobile camera, I was under the impression they came after you, or had another car up further waiting to stop you.
So if you weren't stopped, then perhaps luck is on your side?
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
deathlucky
Awesome Member

awesome but do they flash at you when they get you
Old 12-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

the ones in the 4X4's do flash, hand held radars dont flash, like feathers said, they either come after you or have someone waiting for you further ahead.

CURRENT
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS

See my car HERE
Old 12-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
deathlucky
Awesome Member

oh well stuff it from what i have READ any thing under 13 over is 1 point $100 no matter i can spare a point
Old 12-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
deathlucky
Awesome Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan_ford
the ones in the 4X4's do flash, hand held radars dont flash, like feathers said, they either come after you or have someone waiting for you further ahead.
yer it was one of them 4x4 but do they always flash? i have had 1 flash at me before when i was on the bike but it got the front of me. bloody bright tho i thought i had been struck by lightning lol.

oh well thats for putting my mind at ease
Old 12-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #11
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

personally i wouldnt be worryed. its more than likely u were sitting on or under the speed limit.

CURRENT
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS

See my car HERE
Old 12-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #12
fmc351
let it burn

In standard form, your speedo (unless its a much older car) will read higher than actual speed (in other words cant lead to a fine). Speedo may read 100 when actual speed is 96 (to the police youre doing 96, not 100), but will not read say 100 when youre actually doing 104, all speedos must read accurately or higher they are not permitted to read lower than actual speed. The only time newer cars speedos give lower readings than actual (in danger of being fined due to speedo innacuracy) is when you mess with ratios (tyre sizes (remember tyre width effects profiles and profile is where the ratio is), diff etc all can effect speedo readings) and that puts the problem squarely on you, you cant blame the speedo.

They do not allow 10% in Qld, the tolerance is unknown and varies with the set speed limit and anyone who tells you its 10% is guessing. There is a tolerance buts its minimal.

If your car is within the ratios, and as you saw no flash, you werent going too fast.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #13
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
If you were speeding past a mobile camera, I was under the impression they came after you, or had another car up further waiting to stop you.
So if you weren't stopped, then perhaps luck is on your side?
Camera cars do not pursue at all, they photograph.

Handheld guns/side mounted radars pursue.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #14
Kryton

short answer is: NO, youll be fine.
long answer is: wait 2 weeks and find out.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #15
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree with FMC351. Your speedo won't be that accurate (will overstate speed). See if you can borrow a portable sat nav or GPS based road angel from someone and find out how accurate your speedo is. I have used the GPS in a number of cars and none have ever read true.

Examples:

BA XR6 - was doing 96 at indicated 100, Mini is the same, Subie Forester is 92 at indicated 100, Hyundai Lantra (j2 99) 91 at 100. Sportsman comes the closest ever at 98 road speed at indicated 100.

See if you have an old Wheels mag which used to show speed at indicated 100 as well in specs.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
They do not allow 10% in Qld, the tolerance is unknown and varies with the set speed limit and anyone who tells you its 10% is guessing. There is a tolerance buts its minimal.
BULL!!
They Do allow at least 10% in QLD. My cousin has been a Highway Patrol Officer for over 15 years, and I hear all sorts of things from him about this. Just about everyone does 120 on the M1 motorway between Bris and the Gold Coast and they never get pinged.
On a 'flash for cash' the flash does go off. The cops set their radar up on the M1 in several spots and when the odd car goes by at 120 plus, the flash goes off in daytime or night.
Even the mobile units or side of the road radars with chase cars give 10% leeway, and depending on their mood sometimes more, specially in 60/70 and 80 zones. If they are in a bad mood or need their monthly quotas filled, then its 10% and no more.
How do I know this for fact? apart from the copper in the family, in the last 3 years I have been pinged once, and that was on my way back from Sydney in the Hunter Area, the ute we were driving decided to have its speedo needle stick on the way home and I got nabbed for a bit over. I never lost any points over it either.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #17
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagt_coupe
BULL!!
They Do allow at least 10% in QLD. My cousin has been a Highway Patrol Officer for over 15 years, and I hear all sorts of things from him about this. Just about everyone does 120 on the M1 motorway between Bris and the Gold Coast and they never get pinged.
On a 'flash for cash' the flash does go off. The cops set their radar up on the M1 in several spots and when the odd car goes by at 120 plus, the flash goes off in daytime or night.
Even the mobile units or side of the road radars with chase cars give 10% leeway, and depending on their mood sometimes more, specially in 60/70 and 80 zones. If they are in a bad mood or need their monthly quotas filled, then its 10% and no more.
How do I know this for fact? apart from the copper in the family, in the last 3 years I have been pinged once, and that was on my way back from Sydney in the Hunter Area, the ute we were driving decided to have its speedo needle stick on the way home and I got nabbed for a bit over. I never lost any points over it either.
That 120 you say is according to a speedo likely to be representing a true 111. That would be 1km over in a 110 zone, hardly proves anything. Need proof of how high your speedo reads, see below for examples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
Examples:

BA XR6 - was doing 96 at indicated 100, Mini is the same, Subie Forester is 92 at indicated 100, Hyundai Lantra (j2 99) 91 at 100. Sportsman comes the closest ever at 98 road speed at indicated 100.
Get your family member on here to tell us all its 10% as policy. The rest of your so called proof is just flawed logic.

And what the hell does the flash going off have to do with my post?

Last edited by fmc351; 12-04-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That 120 you say is according to a speedo likely to be representing a true 111. That would be 1km over in a 110 zone, hardly proves anything. Need proof of how high your speedo reads, see below for examples.

Get your family member on here to tell us all its 10% as policy. The rest of your so called proof is just flawed logic.
You really have no idea do you...........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #19
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You really have no idea do you...........
And you know it is 10% how exactly?

The Qld government has refused to specify publicly any tolerance.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #20
Donny

Quote:
The Qld government has refused to specify publicly any tolerance.

Of course they wont publicly admit any tolerance. How stupid would that be?? Then everyone would use up to the tolerance limit.

Speed Wise in my cars.....

1. In my work ute, speedo reads 1 to 2k/ph below with 2 diffrent brand Quality Work GPS units.

And before you go on about how they arent accurate, thats bull too, to work a GPS needs to triangulate your position. You need 3 satellites, when you are in motion your satellites stay in constant lock and change to others if need be like cell repeaters do, while you are fixed within a satellite net your speed reading will be spot on accurate, and you can check your calculations from one point to another, if the velocity was off, so would the calibrations for locations. What makes them not 100% correct is the slower than normal refresh rate for the speed reading.

2. My BF GT-P reads exactly 2k/ph lower than the company GPS units right through the range, and I have heard of others with their stock B series speedos read the same.

3. My past Ute also read approx 5k/ph low at 80k/ph and around 7 low at over 110. It had diffrent tyres. Checked with various GPS units again.

I have tried several diffrent GPS systems in various cars and do note plenty of discrepancies in speedo readings, so I know a lot of car speedoes arent right.

I still stand by what I said above and I dont see the need for my cousin to come on and vindicate my information just to suit you. In the 19 years of driving I have allways stretched the 10% rule, and around town even more than that, and have NEVER been pinged because of it. The only times I have been pinged is when I have been doing silly things when I was younger or the last time I got done when the speedo jammed half way home from Sydney.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #21
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

it didn't flash your safe!
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #22
satria
FOXWHO

if you didn't see a flash wtf are you worrying about?
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #23
deathlucky
Awesome Member

i wasn't sure if they always flashed during the day lol. 10% ill keep that in mind but try to stay as close to the speed limit as possible. thanks for your input everyone
Old 12-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #24
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

In Queensland, the 10% guide is good when you're talking about a 100km speed limit.

In reality, it has always been the 10km rule, i.e if you go through a speed camera in a 60 zone at 70km/hr, you're safe, but you'll get a fine at 71km/hr.

Same applies to other zones, you'll get a fine at 81 in a 70 zone, 91 in a 80 zone and so on. I haven't seen this in written down, though.

With handheld devices, it is up to the discretion of the operator, though the 10km error usually applies (unless other circumstances exist).

At the end of the day, if you keep to the 10% theory, that will keep you under the capture limit.
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #25
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Of course they wont publicly admit any tolerance. How stupid would that be?? Then everyone would use up to the tolerance limit.
The point was not they should announce the tolerance (I fully support its secrecy). Police officers are also bound not to give out that information, not even to family, your 'cousin' wont come on here and tell us. The idea of 10% has been around forever, even if that was once the policy, do you really think the definitions havent changed in that time? At one time factory speedos were allowed to be above and below by a set amount too, now they can only read high, things change and related things can change with it, like a tolerance.

Since you like anecdotal evidence (stories, not hard researchable facts). People report being fined for speeds that suit the 10% rule, and others claim to be have been fined for speeds under the 10% rule. Not all of these will be liars so its fair to say it happens.

People will claim the police are too lazy to get off their ar5e and pull people over when they do over the 10% and get away with it (or other traffic is, but they arent), others claim Police are NAZI like stormtroopers on a powertrip to explain the discrepency between 10%, and a fine for under 10%.

A better explanation (and Im not claiming it is) is the rule is 10% up to around 50 km/h, then maybe 4km/h after that, or similar. Otherwise worded, whichever is the lesser of 10% or say 4km/h (insert 2, 3, 5, 6 or 7, we just dont know). "Whichever is the lesser" is common terminology in statutory documents, think taxation for example, so its not out of the question such a policy exists. And if you can be fined under 10% (as many claim you can), driving with 10% in mind is foolish. Most instances of people getting away with it (like yours) are just dumb luck and due to circumstance we dont hear about as the officer doesnt come here for example and post it, or wasnt there in the first place, not some Police/government conspiracy.

Quote:
And before you go on about how they arent accurate, thats bull too,
Thats good, now youre arguing with yourself.

Quote:
I have allways stretched the 10% rule, and around town even more than that, and have NEVER been pinged because of it. The only times I have been pinged is when I have been doing silly things when I was younger or the last time I got done when the speedo jammed half way home from Sydney.
But that says you think the tolerance around town is higher than 10%? What youve just said is, you didnt get fined at 10%, nor did you get fined above 10%, so that proves to you it is 10%? That indicates to me it isnt 10%. Thanks for that. You are guessing and ignoring the discrepency in your own theory.

So am I guessing its not 10%, but with reasons that encompass more than "I got away with it".
Old 12-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #26
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Police officers are also bound not to give out that information, not even to family, your 'cousin' wont come on here and tell us.
I'm not sure where you got that info from.... all laws and policies are available to the public, but I haven't seen a vow of secrecy in legislation related to police...

I'm sure I can talk to anyone I want to about my job, my boss doesn't give a damn.
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 12:27 AM   #27
Donny

Quote:
The point was not they should announce the tolerance (I fully support its secrecy). Police officers are also bound not to give out that information, not even to family, your 'cousin' wont come on here and tell us. The idea of 10% has been around forever, even if that was once the policy, do you really think the definitions havent changed in that time? At one time factory speedos were allowed to be above and below by a set amount too, now they can only read high, things change and related things can change with it, like a tolerance. My coz wont be comin on here to tell you anything, he isnt around for your personal gratification. Factory speedos were never allowed to be inaccurate at all, high or low, they just were due to technology of the times and owner modifications, and quite a lot because of poor designs or workmanship.

Since you like anecdotal evidence (stories, not hard researchable facts). People report being fined for speeds that suit the 10% rule, and others claim to be have been fined for speeds under the 10% rule. Not all of these will be liars so its fair to say it happens. Well maybe it does happen, but not to anyone I know. If you want to look at it so closely, maybe there were other reasons they got pinged other than speeding. As for facts, its a little hard to present facts when the info isnt publicly available, so the next best thing is to present personal experiances.

People will claim the police are too lazy to get off their ar5e and pull people over when they do over the 10% and get away with it (or other traffic is, but they arent), others claim Police are NAZI like stormtroopers on a powertrip to explain the discrepency between 10%, and a fine for under 10%.
Police may well be lazy, or maybe they have more pressing things to attend to. I know they are getting pretty strict in workmen zones. I dont know what speeds they are pinging people in those, but these zones are 40kph zones with workmen around and in them. I personally think in 50 or less areas, there should be not more than 10% leeway given.

A better explanation (and Im not claiming it is) is the rule is 10% up to around 50 km/h, then maybe 4km/h after that, or similar. Otherwise worded, whichever is the lesser of 10% or say 4km/h (insert 2, 3, 5, 6 or 7, we just dont know). "Whichever is the lesser" is common terminology in statutory documents, think taxation for example, so its not out of the question such a policy exists. And if you can be fined under 10% (as many claim you can), driving with 10% in mind is foolish. Most instances of people getting away with it (like yours) are just dumb luck and due to circumstance we dont hear about as the officer doesnt come here for example and post it, or wasnt there in the first place, not some Police/government conspiracy. Mmmm, nearly 20 years of dumb luck driving hey??? Yeah, that explains it plenty...My driving style is no diffrent from when I started to drive till now, and yet my luck still miraculously holds.....

Thats good, now youre arguing with yourself. Not at all, I was just making sure you didnt dribble on about GPS devices being innaccurate with their speed readouts, as I know the police try to tell people they arent accurate...

But that says you think the tolerance around town is higher than 10%? What youve just said is, you didnt get fined at 10%, nor did you get fined above 10%, so that proves to you it is 10%? That indicates to me it isnt 10%. Thanks for that. You are guessing and ignoring the discrepency in your own theory. What I am saying is I DIDNT get fined anytime around town for anything less than 15 over, i.e. 75 in a 60 zone, or 80 in a 60 etc etc. The 10% is a guide, you are taking it too literally. again for eg.. doing 70 in a 60 zone wont get you pinged unless you are unlucky, well this is in my experiances. I cant be lucky for nearly 20 years in a row...

So am I guessing its not 10%, but with reasons that encompass more than "I got away with it".
Cant be bothered doin multiple quotes, so I just commented in bold red next to your lot.....

Man what ever drugs you are on, you can keep em. I dont give a toss if u dont agree with what I said, what I have said in my posts above are my direct experiances, unlike others, I wont randomly speculate about what happens to other people, just what has happened to me in the near on 20 years I have been driving.

FACT.....I have never been booked for any speed less than 10% over the limit, anywhere, anytime.

FACT.....Every time I have been booked has been for 15 plus and over, as shown above.

This is the last I will say about this, you can either agree or not.

Now, getting back to the original poster, if you were doing 92 in a 90 zone, there is a minute chance you got pinged, like barely 1% out of 100%. If you were doing 101 in a 90, then you would have been stung for sure.
This other person wants to crap on about there not even being a 10% leeway, well in theory who knows, but out there in the real world the cops seem pretty leniant in Qld, so dont sweat it. I know I wouldnt be.
South of the border tho, all bets are off, allthough I have not had any issue in NSW either, except for the broken speedo and that was around 25 over and he wrote it up as 20 over, and in Vic, Tas and S.A. I stick right on the limits, as they dont give much at all.

Old 13-04-2008, 12:37 AM   #28
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

(remember tyre width effects profiles and profile is where the ratio is),

Width? height perhaps.
Old 13-04-2008, 12:48 AM   #29
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

i agree with that bloke 2 posts above me!!
Old 13-04-2008, 04:43 AM   #30
Darkr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my BA with almost full tread tyres at the correct rolling, my real speed is 91-92km/ph when reading 100.

The cops allow 8km/hr over here.

So you will more then likely be right.
Darkr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post