Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
Alex_NZ
Starter Motor

Default Need help from a fellow Kiwi!

Hey everyone,

I'm completely new to restoring cars (and mechanics in general) and I'm looking for a bit of help and advice with my 1965 Falcon XP Coupe. It's my dad's old car that he was going to get rid of but I said I'd take it and do it up.

It's in a pretty average state at the moment (heaps of hidden rust) so I'm looking at getting it taken back to bare metal and completely fixed up.

Currently I'm down in Christchurch but will be moving up to Palmerston North next month for the next couple of years. Anyone up that ways recommend a decent panelbeater and mechanic in the area?

Over the restoring process I'll probably need advice on what to do at certain points so if there's someone out there who's the resident expert on XPs and would love to help that would be great.

Cheers guys!

Alex_NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

XP I hope you post a thread in the project cars section when you get started on it.

I am currently looking for an XP to do up myself. Great cars! Doesn't help with your question however, but I am sure another member will be able to help you.
Old 25-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
streety48p
Starter Motor

hi there,
im from palmy north. as far as panel beating goes, try evolution panel and paint. they do some good work and im pretty sure they deal with restorations as well. on the mechanical side try dannys auto's. he deals with certing vehicles etc and is associated with the palmerston north hotrod club. hope that helps a bit...
streety48p is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
Alex_NZ
Starter Motor

Cheers for that, hopefully I should have some pictures up soon.
Old 25-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_NZ
Cheers for that, hopefully I should have some pictures up soon.
YES please in project section..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
9triton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: A valued contributor to those hard to answer questions regarding classic falcons. A wealth of knowledge. 

alex nz -

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/earlyfalcons/

exclusivley xk,xl,xm,xp falcons.
some knowledgible dudes on there

and this club site has a lot of resto hints:

http://www.stormloader.com/falconccwa/

brett
melb
9triton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #7
Alex_NZ
Starter Motor

Will do!

If I'm getting my car sorted out by someone else rather than doing it myself do you recommend pointing the mechanic/panel beater to the online resources or do they usually have their own. Bit of a silly question but I'm not sure how involved I should be in the process (I dont want to start telling people how to do their jobs!)

I'm hoping there might be access to a garage and skilled help at the place I'm moving so I might even be able to do some of it myself.

Is www.xpfalcon.com down for anyone else?