Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Default Be good to your mates.

Today, in 42 degree heat, I decided i would head to a self serve wreckers to pull a couple of parts I needed for my XP. I dragged along one of my best mates, namely, MontyV8, who also wanted to grab some F100 parts.

After about 40 minutes of plucking the carcass of the F100 and a Rover coupe clean, I sat down in a van to take a rest.

Seems I wanted a long good rest, maybe the permanent kind. I passed out in the back probably from heatstroke. I came to hearing Monty calling for help and organizing an ambo for me.

Luckily I came to alright, found my balance, got some water and fruit down and am now safe and sound.

So a couple of points, dont screw around in the heat, it'll bloody kill you, and keep hydrated. And second, if you are going to do something idiotic, do it with people around that you trust.

Thanks Phil.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I bet you faked it so Phil would give you the kiss of love......er.......i mean life.

Jokes aside, lucky Phil was there to help, you may have been in a bad way.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

i dunno nick, i had a fair bit of unaccounted for time, i may have been taken advantage of!

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 08-03-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I wondered what Phil was doing with that stash of Rohypnol .
Old 08-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

chloroform racing strikes again

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 08-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Good to hear you're alright and good advice.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
cob115
COUPE WHORE

[QUOTE=Falcon Coupe]I bet you faked it so Phil would give you the kiss of love......er.......i mean life.

that was funny im still getting of the floor

good to here your ok Sourbarsted you never know when your time is up,On the Bright side of the experiance your ok(but go to the doc as well some thing else may be a problem?) and its made you apreciate life more ,Never meet you befor but i keep having flashes of you and Phill makeing out ewwwww

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #8
fmc351
let it burn

fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Today, in 42 degree heat, I decided i would head to a self serve wreckers to pull a couple of parts I needed for my XP. I dragged along one of my best mates, namely, MontyV8, who also wanted to grab some F100 parts.

After about 40 minutes of plucking the carcass of the F100 and a Rover coupe clean, I sat down in a van to take a rest.

Seems I wanted a long good rest, maybe the permanent kind. I passed out in the back probably from heatstroke. I came to hearing Monty calling for help and organizing an ambo for me.

Luckily I came to alright, found my balance, got some water and fruit down and am now safe and sound.

So a couple of points, dont screw around in the heat, it'll bloody kill you, and keep hydrated. And second, if you are going to do something idiotic, do it with people around that you trust.

Thanks Phil.
42 deg it is only a mild day in QLD - seriously if you are not really use to the heat and or the humidity take it easy and down plenty of H2O not alcohol as it dehydrates you even worse - the other weekend in Briisy it was 45 and about 70% humidity and some goose was mowing the lawn at 1pm - ME
People don't realise the impact of a hot and humid day on the body
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
gtfpv
GT

You probably have tuberculosis !!!! send me $55.

on a serious note glad to hear your alright , cheers.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #11
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG23BP
42 deg it is only a mild day in QLD - seriously if you are not really use to the heat and or the humidity take it easy and down plenty of H2O not alcohol as it dehydrates you even worse - the other weekend in Briisy it was 45 and about 70% humidity and some goose was mowing the lawn at 1pm - ME
People don't realise the impact of a hot and humid day on the body
45? are you sure mate?

Gold Coasts hottest day has been 34 and that was early Feb, surely there can't be that much of a difference 100km south?

Good to hear your okay though, might want to have a quick visit to the doc if you haven't already, never know it might be something a little more serious, better to be safe than sorry.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #12
rodderz

Lucky Phil didnt pass out, he may of woke up in a barrell...lol

I spent all last saturday in the sun at a mates bucks day at the races, drinking for 10 hours and was a very sick and sorry soul for 2-3 days afterwards. Hangover, heatstroke, my whole head got burnt and the forehead was covered in blisters on Monday.

That'll learn me
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #13
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Not good Dave, the sun is a killer. Good thing you got out of it alright. I'm only 27 but i've been affected by heatstroke so it doesn't matter what age you are. Like you guys, we've had a cracking hot summer. It hit me later in the day when i was in the shower and i nearly passed out. It's amazing how quickly it sneaks up on you.

We couldn't get by without your omnipresent wit so don't go anywhere just yet mate.

cheers

chris
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #14
steamin63
old skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
45? are you sure mate?

Gold Coasts hottest day has been 34 and that was early Feb, surely there can't be that much of a difference 100km south?

Good to hear your okay though, might want to have a quick visit to the doc if you haven't already, never know it might be something a little more serious, better to be safe than sorry.
believe it pal,it was 3 saturdays ago and i was moving house that day. it got to 43.5 at capalaba and we get the bay breezes.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #15
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

strewth,must have scared you witless
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #16
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jees thats a stinker.
guess we're just lucky down here.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #17
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Better than passing out on the floor in my lounge room and waking up in the fetal position?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #18
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was 32 degrees and me, the boss, his wife and a few other employees were sitting in our communications room, air conditioned and suddenly his wife passes out, twice. Had the St John's Ambo guys over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #19
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG23BP
42 deg it is only a mild day in QLD -
My dad could beat your dad up.

Good to see that a Chloroform Racing came to the rescue! Stay safe Dave!!

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i did something similar last year , a mate turned up inthe late afternoon we went inside for a java, my mate reckons he was talkin ....my face went sorta blank(some say thats my normal look) then the eyes rolled back in the head and boom i was on the floor, i still felt crap for a couple of days later, it gave me a wake up call you have to look after yourself, lucky the Montyv8 was there to come to your aid Sourbarsted.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #21
WiggyMK2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

know what you went through today mate, me an my mate when to U-Pull-IT today and the heat in the full sun was shocking. We started pulling off some extractors but gave up half way through due to the heat. glad your ok.
WiggyMK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #22
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Better than passing out on the floor in my lounge room and waking up in the fetal position?

yep but not near as funny!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #23
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiggyMK2
know what you went through today mate, me an my mate when to U-Pull-IT today and the heat in the full sun was shocking. We started pulling off some extractors but gave up half way through due to the heat. glad your ok.
thats where we were, upullit in elizabeth. I still cant work out how fast it happened, and that it hit only once I sat down.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 08-03-2008, 10:32 PM   #24
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

yes, it sure did scare the hell out of me..
Dave said he was going to sit in the shade for a bit while i carried on, a minute or two called out "i don't feel too well phil", i said "you alright dave?" got no reply, ran over to where he was, and he was slumped over, eyes rolled back etc..
managed to get someone to go up to the office and get help while i called an ambo.

first time i've ever had to call 000..

Barry_v got there not long after it happened, after dave was taken to the office for cooling down etc, we were talking about what happened. He said yeah, its a shock when someone drops like that in front of you, but I added, its a lot worse when its one of your best mates.. hits you hard. I felt crook just from the shock of it, seeing something like that happening to one of your best friends.

do it again Dave, and i'll stab ya. :hihi:
Old 08-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #25
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Apparently you were caught on camera Dave. Lucky, it looks like Christine was about to eat you !

Old 08-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #26
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Apparently you were caught on camera Dave. Lucky, it looks like Christine was about to eat you !

redo the pic Nick, it was a bloody hiace i was dying in... suitable really, right size for a bastard coffin ay?

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 08-03-2008, 10:44 PM   #27
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Good to hear you're okay, SB. I had a similar (but not the same) experience a few months ago, and now the bl&*dy docs have put me on treadmills (I didn't take off..) sucked out blood, and then left me in the limbo of the public health system!

Ignorance is bliss!
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #28
gtfpv
GT

de hydration can kreep up on you , and it can be too late before you know it.
i once did a 12 hr shut down at a glass furnace about 50 to 60 degree heat, we had to have a drink every 1/2 hr. i had clothes on underneath special overalls. i started feeling real sick even though i was drinking lots . i went to take off my underclothes , i looked in the mirror , and my head was blue. that nigh i drank 10 litres of water in 12 hours, and couldnt quench my thirst for 2 days.
heed the warning guys.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #29
Scott

^^ Blue sunnies will do that.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 12:06 AM   #30
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

Glad to hear your alright dave. Next time be careful mate. And yes your right, it is good to know that your mates stick by when something like this happens.
Angry Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post