Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default mrcrackers is coming to an AU near you

Good evening all,

My apologies for my lengthy absence of late, i've been pretty busy with a few things regarding the game they call life. It seems the mortgage company wants our house, so we're moving into a rental property in the very near future. This is a mixed blessing really because it will give the mrs and I a little cash to pick up a couple of new toys.

I'm looking to have just enough to find a half decent AU1/2 forte/futura. I've been either side of the AU fence a few times, but i think it's about time i bit the bullet and joined the club. They've grown on me quite a bit in recent years, and are cheap as chips so why not.

I'm looking for advice from those who know, what to look out for when inspecting these cars. Head gasket issues are very rare for these things i know, and as far as i can tell most issues are pretty rare in general for the AU. I can't stretch the funds to an AU3 but i've been seeing some pretty nicely presented AU1's for around the $6000 mark.

Also a question, did the AU get the EL Ghia's feather light steering system ? i seem to remember them being a lot lighter that the el/ef/ed etc in the steering.

Any advice apreciated!

Thanks everyone,

Chris.

Old 26-12-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome back. It's been a while now, glad to hear your well.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2007, 08:09 PM   #3
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrackers
I can't stretch the funds to an AU3 but i've been seeing some pretty nicely presented AU1's for around the $6000 mark.
If you know what you're looking at you may well pick up an AU2/3 in your price range at auction.

Quote:
Also a question, did the AU get the EL Ghia's feather light steering system ? i seem to remember them being a lot lighter that the el/ef/ed etc in the steering.
Can't say that I'd driven a Ford for around 20 years prior to getting mine so can't help with comparison but my AU3 F/Ghia certainly has what I'd call light steering.

Hope that helps.

What was your previous username? I used to see a lot of you when I read pub/bar but haven't bothered with them for sometime.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Good to hear your getting back in a Ford Chris, shame about the house though.

Hopefully we can catch up at AFD or kmart or something :P

Good luck with it

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
goXF
Now AU powered

My Au3 comapred to my Dad's EL has very light steering.

Current Car: 2002 AU3 Falcon Forte sedan, 51,000Km when purchased - NOW: 81,000Km.
goXF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Welcome back. It's been a while now, glad to hear your well.
cheers matey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
What was your previous username? I used to see a lot of you when I read pub/bar but haven't bothered with them for sometime.
previous name was fantz, but that was some time ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_ghia
Good to hear your getting back in a Ford Chris, shame about the house though.

Hopefully we can catch up at AFD or kmart or something :P

Good luck with it
haha kmart... yeah we should catch up soon mate, it's been a while.

thanks for the comments so far people.
Old 26-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The steering on my AU1 Futura is light, and so is the AU2 SR. I'd say the S1 is lighter though.

With prices being so good, don't go the S1, they are still a great car don't get me wrong (hey I own 1) but the S2 is much better refined in so many ways.

The brakes are infinitely better. They come stock with 16" wheels, to fit over the larger brakes. My Futura brakes were bad enough for me to go a S2 upgrade earlier this year! Much better now. They were downright scary before! S2-3 have a different firewall making things quieter and I may be wrong but they got the under bonnet liner, which my AU1 Futura doesn't have. The dash is much nicer looking. They got a bit more fruit standard, more colour coded bits and so on. I think the interior colours are better integrated as a whole package also.

The S2 Futura or SR is what I'd be going for, or if your dollar stretches further, a Fairmont. That way, you have the basic package of nice goodies and can add the leather interior later.

Having said that, you've got to buy what you can afford, but either way, AUs are great cars.

It'll be good to have you on board. I'm sorry about the house.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
LUXO_8
windsor user

crackers, , the EL's you had were ghia's so would have had the Speed Sensitive power steer, i think they continued the trend of that being on Fairmont Ghias / Fairlanes only, so no, i dont think an au forte/futura would have it.....
could be wrong though.
sorry to hear about the house mate, that must have been a real blow.
good luck with the future
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2007, 09:11 PM   #9
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Chris, good to see you around again.
Get some fat rubber on the car, that definately gave my EL a bit more steering weight.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
Get some fat rubber on the car, that definately gave my EL a bit more steering weight.
Beat me to it! I was just in the process of typing a similar comment! LOL!

Yep, 17's will make it a little heavier!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 27-12-2007, 12:13 PM   #11
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
thanks mate, and yeah it will most likely get a new set of shoes. Although i was looking at a very nice ghia with the tickford 17's already on it, that'd be nice.

GK: thanks for the info, it was very insightful
Old 27-12-2007, 12:22 PM   #12
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

As ronwest said, if you look around, you should be able to find an AU2/3 within budget. Like GK said, try and grab an SR or Futura (or better!) that way you already have electrics, colour coding etc and can easily upgrade trim later if that's your thing.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #13
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

i went and test drove an AU1 Forte this afternoon. First time i've driven an AU for about 5 years.. It was quite nice. Had the taxi dif noise going on with a bit of rough shifting, but i was just testing the water anyway. They wanted $10K for it HEHEHEHE.

Got my eye on a black au1 Ghia privately, for $9K but i dunno if it'll still be around once all the house selling has settled. It was nice either way to get a feel for things.

Going from my last (7!) fords to the AU, i was amazed how precise the AU steering was.. i thought that was just a BA+ thing.. but it was a nice surprise.

Not too long to go hopefully!
Old 27-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #14
HLC
Audi S3

go AU2. you'll be much happier.
Old 27-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #15
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
go AU2. you'll be much happier.
surely an au1 ghia is a half decent car though ?

but yes, i'm leaning more towards the au2 after what has been said in this thread..
Old 27-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #16
HLC
Audi S3

yeah teh ghia's/fairmonts go alright, but series 2's are just so much better. more refined and the whole brake thing too. lol
Old 27-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #17
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yeah as has been said go the AUII if you can most of the glitches ironed out etc. GL to you maye sorry bout the house but you sound like your getting back on your feet
Old 27-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #18
stavros68

go au2 anything, just dont get au1,got an au1 fairlane V8,brakes are CRAP,and some electrical problems come as standard
stavros68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

no worries at all. i can't believe how cheap BA's are now.. saw so many out there today, some going for $10k. Not going down that problematic path again though.

Hopefully i'll be able to stretch the budget to an AU3.. be nice to get something at the top of its game so to speak.
Old 27-12-2007, 08:20 PM   #20
GK
Walking with God

Thumbs up

Sounds like you've got it well sussed, all the best with the inspections and test drives and hopefully a purchase soon.

Look forward to the pics!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 27-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #21
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Just to give you an idea you if you look hard enough you can even get AUIII XR6's for around the $10k mark (almost he he), as for AUIII SR's there were four of those listed in your bracket as well on carsales.
Old 27-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #22
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Just to give you an idea you if you look hard enough you can even get AUIII XR6's for around the $10k mark (almost he he), as for AUIII SR's there were four of those listed in your bracket as well on carsales.
An SR S3 would be a good buy if you couldn't go a Futura or Fairmont. The SR actually looks better than the Futura, with the side skirts and all.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 28-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #23
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

haven't managed to find any cheapo xr's locally, and can't find any SR's at all, but i've only been looking at yards so far. I'm most likely going to purchase privately.

Had another look around today in the 35 degree heat.. there are so many of them around. I've noticed a lot of them have pretty worn door pulls, a lot of which are basically hanging loose.. even on low km models. Also the good old Ford "wind down fine but go up at 2 microns a minute" electric windows seem just as common as previous models. The only thing that really bugs me about them so far is the dif whine, 1st gear taxi dif whine has appeared in every one i've driven.

Other than that they seem like very nice cars.
Old 28-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

a lot of them have high km's too, but hey they're pretty tough motors.

this one is pretty
Old 28-12-2007, 08:36 PM   #25
GK
Walking with God

There is a Metorite S2 (I think I didn't stop to check carefully) Fairmont at a yard on Pascoe Vale Road with $10,999 on the window. I thought of you straight away! It's been there a while IIRC, so you might get it much cheaper than that!

It's just near Landmark School Supplies, in fact it's next door. Their address is 319 Pascoe Vale Rd Essendon VIC 3040.

Cheers,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 28-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #26
Dezza
Parts bin special

Good to see you back on the forums Chris! Best of luck with your new purchase.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2007, 08:41 PM   #27
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
There is a Metorite S2 (I think I didn't stop to check carefully) Fairmont at a yard on Pascoe Vale Road with $10,999 on the window. I thought of you straight away! It's been there a while IIRC, so you might get it much cheaper than that!

It's just near Landmark School Supplies, in fact it's next door. Their address is 319 Pascoe Vale Rd Essendon VIC 3040.

Cheers,

GK
thanks again mate, i might go take a look tomorrow
Old 28-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #28
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
Good to see you back on the forums Chris! Best of luck with your new purchase.
thanks big fella.. geez your car is looking pretty respectable from your avatar.. nice work
Old 28-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #29
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
thanks big fella.. geez your car is looking pretty respectable from your avatar.. nice work
Thanks mate. You just don't want to look at it up too close! lol.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #30
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Quote:
previous name was fantz, but that was some time ago
Yep, now I remember. Hope things improve for you,
Cheers...
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post