Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-12-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default For those who hate carsalesman -a confession- (not from me :P)

i searched for every keyword, the link nothing came up

so if repost just delete

Theres a few threads about how people hate car salespeople with a passion
to the point where they are to blame for Fords downward spiral.... i think differently and would like to give an insight into a salesmans job

heres a story i found when searching on how to be a better salesman (im not a car salesman so no hate PM's please)
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

it is american so be wary and it is very long, but very interesting

if you hate the salesman kind its a must read

enjoy

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3SR
i searched for every keyword, the link nothing came up

so if repost just delete

Theres a few threads about how people hate car salespeople with a passion
to the point where they are to blame for Fords downward spiral.... i think differently and would like to give an insight into a salesmans job

heres a story i found when searching on how to be a better salesman (im not a car salesman so no hate PM's please)
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

it is american so be wary and it is very long, but very interesting

if you hate the salesman kind its a must read

enjoy
I can see where I have my new love for car brokers now.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

Car Brokers charge you a commission, carsales man can get you a cheaper price.

But if anything rent a Movie called suckers...its very good to relate to on the salesperson and customer view..plus its funny as.
hy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
Rob
Living the dream

Having been a car salesman myself, that article is SCARILY accurate..

I hated that job.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I think it's got some relative points to car sales down under. Though, his account is very exhaggerated from what it's like here where I work.
Old 14-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

interesting read!!

cheers.
Old 14-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks for that, I just spent ages reading it from start to finish, very interesting read, well written too.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
rapom1

I reckon he's correct about the internet making it hard for car salesmen too. Buyers are (or at least should be) so much more educated on what price they sould be paying now days. Sellers must be relying on an ever decreasing pool of "emotion" buyers who don't research prior to buying, for their high profit sales.

I for one don't envy car salesman one bit. I wouldn't do their job.

And after reading that Im glad Ive only ever negotiated one number when buying a new car. The drive away cash price prior to any extras.
No trades, no extras, no montly payment, too many variables to come unstuck on IMO.
rapom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
Nappa
Impressive...

i enjoyed reading that, in some ways they do things similar to here, but in many ways the states is a far more complicated and high pressure system.
Some examples he spoke of wouldnt really happen here. However his portrayel of the customer is very acurate.

In the dealerships i've worked at we have favoured a more relaxed approach.

But if you ever feel that you may be under some presure from a saleman, just remember that he may cop a lot more heat from his boss if he doesnt do his job.
Old 14-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #10
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I just don't appreciate that the general attitude is that dealers should be selling the cars with no margin in them.

Sure, you get a bargain... but why should a dealer sell cars for nothing when they have a RRP? Same analogy in the story with the t-shirt or whatever it was... you don't go into a clothing store and ask the people what their best price is for a shirt.
Old 14-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #11
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
I just don't appreciate that the general attitude is that dealers should be selling the cars with no margin in them.

Sure, you get a bargain... but why should a dealer sell cars for nothing when they have a RRP? Same analogy in the story with the t-shirt or whatever it was... you don't go into a clothing store and ask the people what their best price is for a shirt.
If I was buying a $40,000 shirt I bloody well would.

At the end of the day, they're still getting the holdback and any relevant bonuses. If they are prepared to sell the car at factory invoice + $1 so be it.

And it's not just cars that people negotiate on - consider whitegoods, furniture, computers etc. Or are you honestly saying you would pay RRP for a fridge?
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 05:13 PM   #12
Abacus
Life's a Gas

[Edit] Double post.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #13
rapom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout

As a buyer I don't think they necessarily should either. But the fact is they often do. And armed with that knowledge, some buyers feel they have little choice but to seek out, and pay only that price.
rapom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #14
Nappa
Impressive...

On relfection on his shopping around technique. I wouldnt just ring dealer to dealer, or even drive form dealer to dealer asking for a best price. Any good salesman will know not just hand out a discounted figure, especially over the phone. In some cases you are better off deciding on a figure you are happy to spend (being reasonable to the RRP) and then see how close you can get to it. If you spend enough time with one dealer you can often get a good deal with out playing them off each other.
Old 15-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #15
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nearly all the selling methods written in this article we taught to me in the dealership I used to work in. And nearly all the thoughts he had at the end about feeling guilty and the like were why I got out of the game.
The biggest difference between there and the dealership I worked in was the commission setup. We had to sell a minimum of 8 cars before we got any extra. We were on an hourly rate though as well.
But it's a good read with a lot of things that could be carried over to Aus.
Old 15-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #16
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Hmm I've read that article before. Quite interesting but not really surprising. I always tell sales assistants to get lost when I'm out shopping. If I want to buy something I'll let you know, run along vampire.
Old 15-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #17
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Hmm I've read that article before. Quite interesting but not really surprising. I always tell sales assistants to get lost when I'm out shopping. If I want to buy something I'll let you know, run along vampire.
And thats when our job starts, someone says that to me i'll annoy the out of them lol.

I think I the best quote is when I walk up to a customer and say Good morning/arvo and the custy turns around and says just loo.....err...I'm good thanks..

Funny as...
hy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #18
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hy_boi
And thats when our job starts, someone says that to me i'll annoy the out of them lol.

I think I the best quote is when I walk up to a customer and say Good morning/arvo and the custy turns around and says just loo.....err...I'm good thanks..

Funny as...
I wonder how you eat ?
Last new car we bought I had a sales bloke bug me terribly , now I have not sold cars but have sold in retail and his failure to keep up was hilarious , got so bad the wife couldn't stop laffing at him.. then we went else where and bought .. he seemed a little miffed.. where are you again ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3SR
Good read well posted. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hy_boi

Funny as...
Sorry I missed the joke bit here, care to elaborate?