Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default An Interesting Afternoon at the RTA

Yesterday I got the BA that we bought form a dealer in Victoria on the weekend registered, my what an interesting experience...
A bit of background, the BA is ex Victoria Police, I bought it from a dealer who presumably bought it from Fowles or similar auctions. Since it was being sold interstate the dealer organised an unregistered vehicle permit for me to drive it home.
Checked up on the RTA website, I need a Blueslip, a Greenslip, proof of identity and proof of purchase of the car so I go about geting these organised and find that there is only one blueslip mechanic in my home town and they could only book me in next week sometime. No worries thinks I, I'll just go to the next large town and get one there, after a few phone calls It's booked in and done later that afternoon. Thats where things went pear shaped.....
I thought, rather than driving back home and doing the rego there I'll just duck into the RTA near where I got the blueslip, so I front up to the counter and get told:

RTA: "we can't accept a contract as proof of purchase of a vehicle"

Me: "no worries I've got a printed reciept showing the deposit and the balance"

RTA: "No that reciept is no good as it dosen't have the salesman's signature on it"

Me: "OK, what do you need?"

RTA: "We also need the old rego papers as well as a reciept showing the salesman's signature"

Me: "I don't have the old rego papers as the vehicle was sold to me unregistered"

RTA: "Well we need those"

RTA: "All I can do is fax off to the Victorian Roads Dept asking for the rego history of the car but that will take any where up to a week"

Me: "Do you have a number I can ring to see about this as I feel you are not being very helpful"

So outside I go, ring the dealer who is a little confused but happy to sign the reciept and fax it off. I got through to the RTA helpdesk who said that all I needed was the blueslip, Greenslip and proof of purchase, they ring the registry and have a discussion with them and they seem to agree all is OK.
Back inside to the fray once more:

RTA: " I'll start this as if it's a new application"

RTA: " I'll need the original registration papers for the car......"

So after another discussion about why the dealer may or may not have given me the old rego and whether the RTA were making the rules up as they went along they produced a document on RTA letterhead entirely different from the one given to me by the friendly chap at the RTA in my hometown stating that if the car was less than 5 years old they needed the old rego number. ( not the papers, mind)
So anyway I took the car home and thought, I'll just drop into the RTA here and try my luck.

RTA: "You were lucky to get a blueslip today"

Me: "Yeah I had to drive into town and make a few phone calls. I've got a blueslip, greenslip and a printed reciept, I've also got the contract of sale"

RTA: "no worries I don't need those reciepts, all the info is on the contract. Vehicle was unregistered was it?"

Me: "Yep, I drove it up here on a permit"

RTA: "What plates do you want, yellow or white, I'll show you the next set of each if you like"

Me: " I'll take the white ones, thank you"

And to think, if I had just gone to the local RTA in the first place I would have avoided all that stress...........

On a serious note if a blueslip is meant to prove a car's identity why would you need to provide previous rego history. From the RTA website:

Proof of acquisition (eg a receipt for purchase of the vehicle, certificate of registration signed by the previous registered operator/s of the vehicle, or the previous certificate of registration in the same name if coming from interstate).

I read that paragraph as saying that a reciept for purchase of the vehicle is sufficient proof of acquisition, anyway it's registered now, that's all that matters

Regards,
Tote

:

Old 30-10-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its like some Banks. I have deposited cheques under my Dads name in my account with no hassles, at other branches they wont allow it. Its really who you get on the day.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
kooky
WRX terrorist

Life is like a box of chocolates
Old 30-10-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Boosh Brus

That sounds like the RTA
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
geohatrick

RTA is useless at best half of them dont know whats going on even when you call them up you get sent to about 6 different people before you get a straight answer thats if they dont just leave you on hold then disconnect you.
Old 30-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
3vXT

When i changed to black and white plates, my closest RTA let me sort through their available number plate combinations until i found the one i wanted. They were very helpful though i have had the opposite experience at times too.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like the Ford dealerships too... Bryan Byrt ford were more than happy to supply me with my vehicles service history (just bought the car second hand from a dealer, came with stamped book but no receipts) but as it turned out they only sold it and didn't service it.
I contacted Denmac Ford who did the servicing and they won't do so much as tell me when the plugs were last changed.

Annoying, I really want to service this car properly, but I am on a budget so can't go willy nilly replacing things that aren't in need of replacement. :(
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Yeah sounds like the RTA for sure. When my fiancee went to go get her licence she had a hell of a time proving who she was.

She came from Scotland on her mums passport (expired), only had a photocopy of her birth certificate (original lost in move to Aus), had her citizenship papers, bank statements, RTA proof of age card, and some other stuff.

The RTA phoneline said we wouldn't have any problems, the lady (if you could call her that) at the desk said it wasnt enough! Tried the lady at the next counter, was no problem at all!

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #9
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yea friggin RTA bunch of retards.
RTA wombats I call them, for two reasons, 1. Waste Of Money Time And Brains, and 2. they dig useless tunnels that lead nowhere, think cross city.
That really gets me going things like that, which I see all the time with this useless organization. And you can't blame the counter staff for most of this, they have to do what ever crap they are told by their incompetent management.
Government departments have earned a stereotype image of being slack however in RTA's case they truly live up to it. If any political party promises to wipe out RTA and start fresh they will automatically get my vote.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #10
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
Yesterday I got the BA that we bought form a dealer in Victoria on the weekend registered, my what an interesting experience...
A bit of background, the BA is ex Victoria Police, I bought it from a dealer who presumably bought it from Fowles or similar auctions. Since it was being sold interstate the dealer organised an unregistered vehicle permit for me to drive it home.
Checked up on the RTA website, I need a Blueslip, a Greenslip, proof of identity and proof of purchase of the car so I go about geting these organised and find that there is only one blueslip mechanic in my home town and they could only book me in next week sometime. No worries thinks I, I'll just go to the next large town and get one there, after a few phone calls It's booked in and done later that afternoon. Thats where things went pear shaped.....
I thought, rather than driving back home and doing the rego there I'll just duck into the RTA near where I got the blueslip, so I front up to the counter and get told:

RTA: "we can't accept a contract as proof of purchase of a vehicle"

Me: "no worries I've got a printed reciept showing the deposit and the balance"

RTA: "No that reciept is no good as it dosen't have the salesman's signature on it"

Me: "OK, what do you need?"

RTA: "We also need the old rego papers as well as a reciept showing the salesman's signature"

Me: "I don't have the old rego papers as the vehicle was sold to me unregistered"

RTA: "Well we need those"

RTA: "All I can do is fax off to the Victorian Roads Dept asking for the rego history of the car but that will take any where up to a week"

Me: "Do you have a number I can ring to see about this as I feel you are not being very helpful"

So outside I go, ring the dealer who is a little confused but happy to sign the reciept and fax it off. I got through to the RTA helpdesk who said that all I needed was the blueslip, Greenslip and proof of purchase, they ring the registry and have a discussion with them and they seem to agree all is OK.
Back inside to the fray once more:

RTA: " I'll start this as if it's a new application"

RTA: " I'll need the original registration papers for the car......"

So after another discussion about why the dealer may or may not have given me the old rego and whether the RTA were making the rules up as they went along they produced a document on RTA letterhead entirely different from the one given to me by the friendly chap at the RTA in my hometown stating that if the car was less than 5 years old they needed the old rego number. ( not the papers, mind)
So anyway I took the car home and thought, I'll just drop into the RTA here and try my luck.

RTA: "You were lucky to get a blueslip today"

Me: "Yeah I had to drive into town and make a few phone calls. I've got a blueslip, greenslip and a printed reciept, I've also got the contract of sale"

RTA: "no worries I don't need those reciepts, all the info is on the contract. Vehicle was unregistered was it?"

Me: "Yep, I drove it up here on a permit"

RTA: "What plates do you want, yellow or white, I'll show you the next set of each if you like"

Me: " I'll take the white ones, thank you"

And to think, if I had just gone to the local RTA in the first place I would have avoided all that stress...........

On a serious note if a blueslip is meant to prove a car's identity why would you need to provide previous rego history. From the RTA website:

Proof of acquisition (eg a receipt for purchase of the vehicle, certificate of registration signed by the previous registered operator/s of the vehicle, or the previous certificate of registration in the same name if coming from interstate).

I read that paragraph as saying that a reciept for purchase of the vehicle is sufficient proof of acquisition, anyway it's registered now, that's all that matters

Regards,
Tote

:
Last time I bought a vic car to drive back to Godsown had a similar problem , rang the brother in law who was way near the top at main roads Qld and waited , 20 minutes later it went straight through , it seems like genuine offers to take legal action helps a lot ?

Of course moving over a window might have helped as well. ? as I figure the vic people are even worse / more clueless than here in Qld
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #11
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooky
Some chocolates have pineapple filling (which kicks ) and some have turkish delight...which I am not greatly fond of...

Now there's an -about simile.

Yeah...I know...Forrest Gump

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Moral of the story:

Never give up, shop around until you find a government employee who is either:
A) Competent; or
B) Couldn't care less.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #13
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i too used to think that the rta was useless - than i moved to vic and met vicroads

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #14
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooky

Yall never no what ya gona git...........
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #15
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Sound about as retarded as Vicroads...
I went to get an EB XR8 registered, so i took it in for inspection...
1st problem: The colour, I said it was green, The monkey said it was blue (everglade)
2nd problem: Engine Number, He couldnt find it to start with, then said it didnt match, but he couldnt tell the difference between a 3 and an 8
3rd problem: He left his books and papers on my roof, which blew all the pages away.
Then they said "come back tomorrow, we are closing soon"
My appointment was at 3, they close at 5.... And i got booted at 4:30.
Fools....

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 03:13 PM   #16
BFYOOT

some rta workers are wanna-be cops or politicians. they make up the rules depending on what mood there in for the day. very very unpleasant to deal with. if vicroads are worse, god help victoria!!
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #17
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Moral of the story:

Never give up, shop around until you find a government employee who is either:
A) Competent; or
B) Couldn't care less.
AMEN!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #18
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

having dealt with the RTA several times, i can't help but feel that Queensland Transport employees get better training.

with the RTA you're more likely to get some tool who has no idea what they're doing. i feel your pain.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #19
ltd
Force Fed Fords

RTA = Road Tax Authority.
They are an equal opportunity employer as are all state governments; just mean you have an equal chance of getting someone with an IQ of less than 50 and someone with an IQ of 150.

Actually, I have an inside knowledge of the RTA, they deliberately act like a bunch of useless bastards so they don't outshine the government on incompetence.

Quote: