Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
Cooper69S

Default Hoon laws in action

I think this guy ticked just about every box...
the article also mentions a P plater having his clubsport seized after trying to race a holden ute on Mandurah rd. interestingly i saw him there with the RAC truck pulling up to take the car away. bet he wasn't happy...
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...2-2761,00.html

A 21-year-old Kwinana man had his Holden Commodore seized after it was clocked travelling at 140km/h in an 80 km/h zone on Mandurah Road in wet weather at 6.20am on Saturday.
Police said the driver, his five passengers and other roads users were put at risk by his driving.

The man will be charged by summons with reckless driving, excess 0.05 and possessing a smoking implement.

His car was issued with a yellow sticker for various defects defects, including bald tyres.

Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people should stick to pedal cars.

Commodores Ahoy!

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Some people will never learn.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAadam
Some people will never learn.
As I said, bring in all the laws, advertising and education you want, people will do whatever they want.

Therefore, make the penalties tougher.

If they are caught driving their car when suspended from driving, crush their car and send them a postcard.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 22-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
As I said, bring in all the laws, advertising and education you want, people will do whatever they want.

Therefore, make the penalties tougher.

If they are caught driving their car when suspended from driving, crush their car and send them a postcard.
Exactly. How many times do you read in the papers about repeat offenders ie: Fronting court on his 12 drink driving charge etc etc. Tougher penalties are needed.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 12:55 AM   #6
T-BOOST
Blue Power enhanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper69S
Police said the driver, his five passengers and other roads users were put at risk by his driving.
Must have been an old holden with bench seats. Either that or they missed an extra charge they could have slaped on him.

also selling my C.A.P.A tune box

pics of my Turbo Ghia are here
EGO TTG
Dont forget to rate it :
T-BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 01:05 AM   #7
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Some people should stick to pedal cars.

Commodores Ahoy!
To true, but I would rather have a pedal car than a commodud any day...
Old 30-10-2007, 01:34 AM   #8
T-BOOST
Blue Power enhanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
To true, but I would rather have a pedal car than a commodud any day...
I wish i was that kitten in your avitar!
Unless it's your wife then i'd feel awkward

also selling my C.A.P.A tune box

pics of my Turbo Ghia are here
EGO TTG
Dont forget to rate it :
T-BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 01:56 AM   #9
XE-747

heres a positive spin on hoons

HOONS are a misunderstood lot. Just because they drive high-powered cars, rev their engines at the lights and blast the neighbourhood with execrable music does not mean that they are a menace on the roads.

Yet governments have been panicked into passing tough anti-hoon legislation that is so broad it can snare the car-mad along with the bad.

The plea for greater understanding of hoon culture appears in the latest edition of the journal Youth Studies Australia. Rob White, professor of sociology at the University of Tasmania, and his co-author Hannah Graham argue that sensational media reports have given the impression of "hoons taking over our streets".

"Hooning has been criminalised," they write. "However, close analysis of 'hooning accidents' as such reveals that hooning is not the large road safety problem the media makes it out to be."

Very few crashes involve high-performance vehicles, they say. Older and cheaper vehicles are more often implicated. And as a percentage of all motor vehicle accidents, so-called hoons account for a very small number.

Professor White said there was a difference between dangerous driving on the street, which was never acceptable, and the kind of activities car-crazed youths liked to engage in.

"We know from watching the Grand Prix that speed, fishtailing and burn-outs are exhilarating," he said. Providing these activities took place off the streets, in areas such as unoccupied industrial sites, they were not necessarily dangerous. "Indeed there are cases when certain types of hooning might well be considered safer than driving on main roads at rush hour," he said.

Young men who were part of the car culture derived excitement, status, and a sense of control through having an impressive vehicle to drive, the authors argue. They liked to build hot cars. They took pride in their driving skills. Having a passion for cars could be an exciting and positive lifestyle choice for young men with time on their hands. And spending money on cars was better than spending it on drugs.

"Drag racing in the streets is dangerous," Professor White said. "Give the young people a race track, or a disused or unoccupied industrial site instead. Offer help and hints on how to race fast, and safely."

The authors agree that young people are disproportionately involved in crashes. But the victims were not necessarily those who were part of a car culture. Rather young people were vulnerable because they tended to be driving at night in poorer quality cars.
XE-747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 01:59 AM   #10
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
His car was issued with a yellow sticker for various defects defects, including bald tyres.
He got squared defects? Defects squared? LOL nice work reporter!

Good on them for separating three people driving like that from their vehicles. With any luck they'll learn from it, and won't kill themselves next weekend.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 02:03 AM   #11
XE-747

even though this wont make a difference
sign the petition
http://www.streetcommodores.com/petition/index.php
XE-747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 02:22 AM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XE-747
heres a positive spin on hoons

HOONS are a misunderstood lot. Just because they drive high-powered cars, rev their engines at the lights and blast the neighbourhood with execrable music does not mean that they are a menace on the roads.

Yet governments have been panicked into passing tough anti-hoon legislation that is so broad it can snare the car-mad along with the bad.

The plea for greater understanding of hoon culture appears in the latest edition of the journal Youth Studies Australia. Rob White, professor of sociology at the University of Tasmania, and his co-author Hannah Graham argue that sensational media reports have given the impression of "hoons taking over our streets".

"Hooning has been criminalised," they write. "However, close analysis of 'hooning accidents' as such reveals that hooning is not the large road safety problem the media makes it out to be."

Very few crashes involve high-performance vehicles, they say. Older and cheaper vehicles are more often implicated. And as a percentage of all motor vehicle accidents, so-called hoons account for a very small number.

Professor White said there was a difference between dangerous driving on the street, which was never acceptable, and the kind of activities car-crazed youths liked to engage in.

"We know from watching the Grand Prix that speed, fishtailing and burn-outs are exhilarating," he said. Providing these activities took place off the streets, in areas such as unoccupied industrial sites, they were not necessarily dangerous. "Indeed there are cases when certain types of hooning might well be considered safer than driving on main roads at rush hour," he said.

Young men who were part of the car culture derived excitement, status, and a sense of control through having an impressive vehicle to drive, the authors argue. They liked to build hot cars. They took pride in their driving skills. Having a passion for cars could be an exciting and positive lifestyle choice for young men with time on their hands. And spending money on cars was better than spending it on drugs.

"Drag racing in the streets is dangerous," Professor White said. "Give the young people a race track, or a disused or unoccupied industrial site instead. Offer help and hints on how to race fast, and safely."

The authors agree that young people are disproportionately involved in crashes. But the victims were not necessarily those who were part of a car culture. Rather young people were vulnerable because they tended to be driving at night in poorer quality cars.
That is one of the most intelligent things I have read in a long, long time.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 03:06 AM   #13
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
Agreed!

As for the article, why are we preventing natural selection? The sooner these people run into a pole the sooner the human race can move forward.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 06:52 AM   #14
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BOOST
Must have been an old holden with bench seats. Either that or they missed an extra charge they could have slaped on him.
what extra charge. As long as all people who had access to a seatbelt were wearing it the 5th passenger can legally squeeze in and not wear a belt. Silly law, but that is how it read last time I checked.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 07:33 AM   #15
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

I wonder if these laws also cover tail gaters ?

I had this woman this morning in a Lanos so far up my *** she might have well have given me a rectal exam while she was there!

More disturbing she was a 40something woman, sunglasses on at 6am slouched back into her seat like she was half alseep, but seemed to be carving up the traffic like it wasnt there...
I hope she's insured, for who evers sake she cleans up with driving like that.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 07:51 AM   #16
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper69S

A 21-year-old Kwinana man had his Holden Commodore seized after it was clocked travelling at 140km/h in an 80 km/h zone on Mandurah Road in wet weather at 6.20am on Saturday.

The man will be charged by summons with reckless driving, excess 0.05 and possessing a smoking implement.

So the idiot was drunk and excessivley speeding - why does it come under "hoon" laws. Not that I don't think drunks should lose their car as well if its a repeat offence...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 08:06 AM   #17
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I believe they should loose it on the first offence Merlin
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 08:17 AM   #18
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
So the idiot was drunk and excessivley speeding - why does it come under "hoon" laws. Not that I don't think drunks should lose their car as well if its a repeat offence...

Its probly just a bad example of the law...
And they probly want to show how they are using the new laws too.

The police see a speeding car hooning along, label it a hoon with his mates in the car cheering him on. He also just happened to be drink driving too, Bonus for the police to rack up the charges.

And it could have been alot worse than losing the car and license.
Him, his mates, some poor schmo going the other way, a pedestrian or someone in their house could have been the victim of his stupidity. It just a good thing they got him when they did.

If they hadn't got him you may have seen another one of those news headlines we see too often...
"Drunk driver kills his two mates and walks away..."
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 08:34 AM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8
what extra charge. As long as all people who had access to a seatbelt were wearing it the 5th passenger can legally squeeze in and not wear a belt. Silly law, but that is how it read last time I checked.
Ummmm ... not from what I have read.

If there's a passenger in the car that is not wearing a seatbelt ... it's a 3-point offence ... an on-the-spot fine for the passenger ... and a fine for the driver as well.

As far as I am aware as well ... there's also a fine/offence for a vehicle carrying more passengers than they are legally meant to.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 08:55 AM   #20
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Young driver exceeding speed limit by 60km with a group of mates in the car, in the wet too.... Perfect situation to use the new hoon laws...

IMO Speeding is one thing, but 60k over, i would see that as hooning, plan and simple
Old 30-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #21
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
It is and it isn't.

The theme of the article is correct, but I wish people would actually distinguish between "Hoons" and "Car enthusiasts".

I enjoy my driving and love doing competing on a skidpan and on track days but this does not make me a hoon.

Hoons have no place on our roads. The guy who was charged is a hoon and nothing more.

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #22
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I am not a perfect specimen, I have done that speed in my lifetime so I wont criticise that, though; I atleast keep my car in very good-Excellent working order including good quility tyres rotated every 5000km etc...Oh and no drink driving or smoking devices either..;)
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 12:02 PM   #23
prydey
Rob

in the article it states the hsv driver who was having a traffic light drag with a ute, did a '20m burnout' when taking off. Fool must've left his foot on the brake when he took off!!
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #24
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKPhoon
It is and it isn't.

The theme of the article is correct, but I wish people would actually distinguish between "Hoons" and "Car enthusiasts".

I enjoy my driving and love doing competing on a skidpan and on track days but this does not make me a hoon.

Hoons have no place on our roads. The guy who was charged is a hoon and nothing more.
Nice points.

The article had merit, but it's not a case of black and white. As you said, there are places to undertake certain activities and clearly, the road is not the place for many of them.

The government should actually make facilities widely available for such people so if they want to do burnouts, drag races etc. those facilities and controlled environments are there for them.

No...we'd rather waste our time on making stupid laws that do nothing but put greater fear and a skewed perception on certain drivers.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 30-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #25
Tealglow
Waiting

I have a quick question

: is a hoon?

I know I live in the desert but this topic seems to be front page stuff across the country.

These sort of actions have always happened and always will happen.
It is an over-representaion in the media causing the problem.

Just because they give it a catchy name and airtime should not make a national concern.

There has been a drastic increase in current affair airtime in the last 5 years or so and they need to fill the time with something.

Living in Alice Springs I know all about sensationalism in the Media.

We (Australian public) are all collectively the bigger fools for lapping it up.

It is just as bad as the Climate change/ carbon trading rort.
More catchy wording applied to ordinary things and the airtime and "Public concern" to sensationalise them.

Can someone explain to me where the water is going to come from for the trees planted to create a carbon neutral exchange?

BTW It is never too early to start preparing for the next millenimun bug - 2048 when the computers of the world will again crash because of an extra date digit.
You have been warned

AND What ever happened to the Ozone Layer???

1984 Bronco XLT 351 C6 4WD - Black/ Silver LPG, 3" Lift, American Racing Wheels

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited CRD Renegade- Black

2009 FG XR6 Vixen
Tealglow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #26
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Therefore, make the penalties tougher. Yep
Naa uranium_death , this is what they make them do in the US .."Watch"

My guess is "His is the yellow one"
I wonder when this guy will do it again ?

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #27
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Haha, they all look like rice-mobiles anyway, seems the US is definitely taking positive steps, I can't wait til they start doing that here and we can watch the decline of the ricer!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #28
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Haha, they all look like rice-mobiles anyway, seems the US is definitely taking positive steps, I can't wait til they start doing that here and we can watch the decline of the ricer!
Personally I hope that we never see those kind of laws here. Because the apathy of the average Australian would see the laws become harder and harder. What I mean is, first, they go after "hoons", next they go after repeat, drunks. All seems reasonable so far. But what will happen when these laws make no difference?? Have a look at our state governments at the moment. How long before they start to crush cars for simply speeding, even just a little bit.

I am sure that there will be the usual perfect citizens chime in here with the usual "well if you dont speed you will never have to worry". These people really impress me with they way they carry the burdon of perfection with such dignity and grace. I really wish that I lived in their world.

But think about it guys & girls. Would you really want to give any government and/or police in this country the power to destroy people's cars?? Would it really make a difference in the long run? Or would it create a group of people that become so full of hate for society that they do far worse things than "hoon" in their cars.

There must be a better way.
Old 30-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #29
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker888
BTW It is never too early to start preparing for the next millenimun bug - 2048 when the computers of the world will again crash because of an extra date digit.
In 2029, all of Earth's computers will turn against mankind and launch nuclear missiles all over the place.

If you're listening Skynet, proceed no further. Your victory will be your defeat.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 30-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #30
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Quote:
In 2029, all of Earth's computers will turn against mankind and launch nuclear missiles all over the place.

If you're listening Skynet, proceed no further. Your victory will be your defeat.

They should make a movie about that.............

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post