Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

Default New Essendon coach-Matthew Knights

Don't know if it's the right pick, but Richmond champion Matthew nights is the Dons new coach.

Hopefully he can get some new youth through the club cause its time for a huge rebuiled

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
kocho
The Futuriser

Interesting choice here from the Bombers. Knighter didnt do too much at the Port Magpies and struggled with the Bendigo Bombers so I'm wondering why they came to this decision? He's got a lot of mess to fix up with an aging core at Essendon.

Anyway, all the best to him. Being a Richmond fanatic, he is one of my all time favourite players.

Best of luck Knighter!

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

WHAT!!!!! You have got to be kidding me, Peter Jackson needs a good smack in the head to make him wake up to himself. Replacing Sheeds with an untried coach who struggled coaching a VFL team. There goes any chance of a premiership any time soon. Not even a Bomber boy, Shame Jackson Shame : :
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
kocho
The Futuriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
WHAT!!!!! You have got to be kidding me, Peter Jackson needs a good smack in the head to make him wake up to himself. Replacing Sheeds with an untried coach who struggled coaching a VFL team. There goes any chance of a premiership any time soon. Not even a Bomber boy, Shame Jackson Shame : :
Sheedy wasnt a Bomber boy.

You dont know how Knights will go at Essendon - you aren't even giving a go. Hardwick, Harvey, Voss, O'Donell all would have been untried aswell. Either an untried coach or Thompson or Daniher, basically.

Knighters a passionate bloke, he will give it his all just like he did his own footy.

Old 27-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a big DONS fan and i must say BIG MISTAKE,,, he has never played in a final before what is he going to say to the players if they ever reach the final...

"""Ok guys i have never played a grand final but etc etc"""

Hardwick would have been much better

fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247663
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
kocho
The Futuriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007
I'm a big DONS fan and i must say BIG MISTAKE,,, he has never played in a final before
I stopped reading there. If your a big Dons fan you would have remembered how Knights tore Essendon apart in the 1995 Semi Final.

:

Old 27-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007
I'm a big DONS fan and i must say BIG MISTAKE,,, he has never played in a final before what is he going to say to the players if they ever reach the final...

"""Ok guys i have never played a grand final but etc etc"""
I'm a huge bombers man, and to be honest i don't think we have to worry about that for a while.

Matthew must have been the cheapest out there, just so we can put some coin in the bank for when Bomber Thompson comes back

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
Sheedy wasnt a Bomber boy.

You dont know how Knights will go at Essendon - you aren't even giving a go. Hardwick, Harvey, Voss, O'Donell all would have been untried aswell. Either an untried coach or Thompson or Daniher, basically.

Knighters a passionate bloke, he will give it his all just like he did his own footy.
That was also 1981 and Essendon needed a change as we weren't going along too well. Granted we have had a bad couple of years but we were on the up. Untried I meant as AFL, but we have seen Knights at work in the VFL and I didn't like what I saw. Thinking about it we may have been better off going for Hardwick. I fEssendon hadn't fiddled around for so long maybe we wouldn't have been left with the "leftovers" after all the other clubs that were after a new coach got the cream. Harvey or Daniher would have been better suited to the job IMO.
Old 27-09-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandrsxr6
I'm a huge bombers man, and to be honest i don't think we have to worry about that for a while.

Matthew must have been the cheapest out there, just so we can put some coin in the bank for when Bomber Thompson comes back
Or so we can afford Judd...
Old 27-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
kocho
The Futuriser

Quote:
Or so we can afford Judd...
It is to my knowledge that Judd's preference will be Melbourne and that it may be announced tomorrow.

Old 27-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
It is to my knowledge that Judd's preference will be Melbourne and that it may be announced tomorrow.
Last I heard it was Collingwood and W.C weren't happy as they wouldn't get a good draft pick out of that. I would love to see Judd in Black and red.

Judd was a Demons supporter as a kid though...
Old 27-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
kocho
The Futuriser

Quote:
Last I heard it was Collingwood and W.C weren't happy as they wouldn't get a good draft pick out of that. I would love to see Judd in Black and red.

Judd was a Demons supporter as a kid though...
Well they're offering $3 at the moment on Sportsbet and betting will be suspended in the next couple hours because the word is starting to get out that he will be a Demon next year. So it doesnt look good for you buddy. :(

Old 27-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #13
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I admit he wouldn't be top of my list but im willing to give him a go. Well done Matthew.
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 06:25 PM   #14
SHIFTN
CL&JW BATHURST CHAMPS!

well done .......

might as well try him as coach for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
geeves can you pass the toothpicks please, i have some rice stuck between my teeth.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwley93
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
SHIFTN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #15
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Is there a link to this information? Where did you hear it announced? Yesterday someone said Damian Hardwick got the job before being proven wrong and now you're saying Matty Knights, who a lot of people would not have had as their first prefference, got the job? I'm not doubting you, but citing a refference is usually a good thing to do when breaking news or claiming something that isn't (yet) common knowlege.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #16
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol there's no way juddy will be a bomber.

Strange choice of coach, but I suppose anything would be better than sheeds at the moment.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #17
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its Fact.

It will be interesting to see how he goes, tough gig to follow Sheedy, whoever got it will live in his shadow for a while...

Old 27-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #18
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Here ya go Cobra.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23211,00.html
And for those too lazy to hit the link
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Sports news
Bombers appoint Knights coach

September 27, 2007 FORMER Richmond captain Matthew Knights has been appointed as the new coach of Essendon.

Essendon managing director Peter Jackson said Knights had been appointed for three seasons, after an extensive interview process.

"I congratulate Matthew on his appointment and the board is very comfortable he has the necessary skills to get this club back playing finals football," Jackson said on the club's website.

"We had some excellent candidates for the position and each of those that made it to the final stages would have brought something to this football club.

"However Matthew became more and more impressive as the interview process went on and we are very excited about the club's future with him as coach."

Knights has coached the Bombers' VFL affiliate Bendigo for the past three seasons.

This season, he was also Essendon's development coach.

The 36-year-old played 279 games with Richmond from 1988 to 2002, including captaining the club from 1997 to 2000.

He was twice the Tigers' best and fairest, in 1990 and 1992.

Knights coached the Port Adelaide Magpies in the SANFL in 2003, before joining the Bombers.

Knights replaces Kevin Sheedy, who coached Essendon for 27 years and won four premierships, with the club having announced after round 16 this year he would not continue in the job next season.

Knights said he had considered himself an outsider for the job, but was confident he would succeed.
"The thoroughness and diligence of the process gives me enormous confidence going into this role that I'm the best man for the job, no doubt about that," Knights said.

"I feel ready, I feel strong and I feel ready to go."

Knights said Sheedy had been instrumental in helping him get the job.

"I'm going to be very different to Kevin," Knights said.

"Kevin has given me enormous autonomy at Bendigo, to coach Bendigo to the best of my ability and develop the youth at the Essendon footy club.

"Kevin's support has certainly played a huge part in fast-tracking my development.

"Everyone is going to have a lesser profile than the great Kevin Sheedy and that's a given, but I'm going to be my own person."

Knights beat out candidates including West Coast assistant Peter Sumich, former Melbourne coach Neale Daniher and Hawthorn assistant Damien Hardwick.

Jackson also confirmed the Bombers ruled out Geelong coach Mark Thompson, who will lead the Cats into a grand final on Saturday, as the club could not delay the appointment of its new coach any longer.

AAP
Old 27-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #19
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Here ya go Cobra.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23211,00.html
And for those too lazy to hit the link
Thanks man. I got curious and did a search myself and came up with this...

http://afl.com.au/Season2007/News/Ne...x?newsId=51830
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #20
crochunter
440cube Dart

They got Knights to coach so that they would have heaps of money left over to get Judd. Smart move i reckon.
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #21
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wasn't knights several years ago as the captain, about to make club history at Richmond for playing the most consecutive games, when, the coach benched knights as an example to the rest of the team that no-one is indispensible. Knights retired, having been shafted by the club he served well for so many years.

Not sure how he stacks up as coach, but I hope he does well for us. I do like Knights.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #22
VIBEBA
huh???

Quote:
I stopped reading there. If your a big Dons fan you would have remembered how Knights tore Essendon apart in the 1995 Semi Final.

:
I remember the game well.... Who gives a S*it if he never played in a final.. so does this mean he cant coach i think not. Give him a chance to coach before you write him off then if he sucks well its open slather i guess...
How do you make a name for yourself if people dont give you a chance in the first place...

VIBEBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Knights huh?? What is it with essendon getting ex Tigers players as coaches!! lol
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #24
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubsta
I remember the game well.... Who gives a S*it if he never played in a final.. so does this mean he cant coach i think not. Give him a chance to coach before you write him off then if he sucks well its open slather i guess...
How do you make a name for yourself if people dont give you a chance in the first place...
I agree Grubsta. Like most, I was very dissapointed to see the end of Sheeds career. I can only ever remember him as the coach when I started to follow the VFL in the 80's. That era is over, and I'm looking forward to the next few years. Coaches can be replaced and clubs can recover quickly. Losing your key players means the club needs to rebuild. All we have is a new coach, not new players, and I am sure that Knights will build on the solid foundation that Sheeds has layed. I am not expecting success in his first year, but we need to give him a go. He has fresh idea's and I really hope it works out for him and club is able to move on. Sheeds was unproven when he joined the club all those years ago, so Knights is in very good company.
Old 27-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #25
VIBEBA
huh???

I agree bucknaked.. and feel that putting knights into the club could be what the bombers need.. he has already coached most of the younger players that have moved up from the V.F.L to the A.F.L and having that experience with the younger players could be a great benefit to the club also...

Old 27-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #26
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am glad to see a fresh face. As much as I love Daniher as a player, I just don't think taking sacked coaches is the way to go. Good move for the club and I will be renewing my membership next year
Old 27-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #27
VIBEBA
huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I am glad to see a fresh face. As much as I love Daniher as a player, I just don't think taking sacked coaches is the way to go. Good move for the club and I will be renewing my membership next year
Hopefully we can enjoy some finals victory in the next few years with him at the helm...
Quote:
Posted by crochunter..They got Knights to coach so that they would have heaps of money left over to get Judd. Smart move i reckon.
That would be another great addition to the club..

Old 27-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #28
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard that Judd was a bombers supporter growing up. I imagine if Sheedy had stayed on, Judd would definatley consider joining the club. Maybe he'll do so with knights.
Old 27-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #29
VIBEBA
huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I heard that Judd was a bombers supporter growing up. I imagine if Sheedy had stayed on, Judd would definatley consider joining the club. Maybe he'll do so with knights.
Let's hope so
I thought someone said that he was a demons supporter growing up though ive got no idea myself..

Old 27-09-2007, 11:53 PM   #30
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Neil Craig never played in an AFL Final.
Chris Connolly did not either and he made Fremantle more professional than anybody ever imagined...
Dean Bailey at Melbourne didn't achieve a heap in football, yet impressed.
What did Grant Thomas do? St Kilda's most successful coach since Allan Jeans.

Knights was a great player. I wish him luck.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post