Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-09-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
SHIFTN
CL&JW BATHURST CHAMPS!

Default Brownlow

congrats to jimmy bartel :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
geeves can you pass the toothpicks please, i have some rice stuck between my teeth.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwley93
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
SHIFTN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
Ford_V8

Well I'm glad that other little pansy didn't get it. Ah boy the look on his face during those first few voteless rounds, priceless! Bartel was a lot more deserving than ablett, but I don't think he was the leagues " Best and Fairest ". Brent Harvey, Dane Swan and Sam Mitchell all should have polled better.
Ford_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
soulfire
Kermit the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_V8
Well I'm glad that other little pansy didn't get it. Ah boy the look on his face during those first few voteless rounds, priceless! Bartel was a lot more deserving than ablett, but I don't think he was the leagues " Best and Fairest ". Brent Harvey, Dane Swan and Sam Mitchell all should have polled better.
Yeah I thought Sam Mitchell did a lot to deserve it.
Couldn't agree more with that smug little bastard Ablett cracking it not getting votes. Man it was hilarious.
soulfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe they 'the afl' should seriously think about renaming this award.it's certaintly not for the fairest & best player anymore, it's become the midfielders monopoly award...
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

When did Ablett crack it for not getting any votes?
Old 25-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
XRchic
Hello

He certainly didnt look happy during the count. I wouldnt say he cracked it, but then, perhaps he did at some point and I didnt see it.

To be honest, I felt a little sorry for G Ablett, as all the pressure was placed on him to win for weeks. He is probably just glad its all over.

Like rodderz said in the other thread, Jimmy looked extraordinarily nervous! Well done to him though.

Interesting that the Cornes boys didnt score higher. I found it a little ironic that both Scott Thompson and Andrew McLeod got substantially more votes than either Cornes.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ablett reached far greater heights than Bartel this year and we saw Ablett's quality in the preliminary final against Collingwood.

While Bartel touches the ball a lot and uses it well, Ablett is the one who gets into contested packs, gets the hard ball and finds an isolated man.

Bartel is still a deserving winner, but I think Ablett had a better year on the whole. Ablett is a special player who does extraordinary whereas Bartel is a running midfielder who amasses possessions at will, but so do Adam Simpson and Scott West.

I thought Scott Thompson deserved his votes. Chad Cornes is a player we know of already whereas Scott Thompson, while good since crossing over from Melbourne, has never caught the umpire's eyes. I am happy for him.

Nathan Foley only getting a vote in no way underlines his year of emergence. It's hard to poll votes when your team gets smashed so often, but should Richmond pick up, I think you'll see him up there.

In terms of the midfielders award, I agree.

In 1993, Gary Ablett kicked 10 goals against the Adelaide Crows but did not poll a single vote. I think the Brownlow is an important award, but is not a reflection of the BEST player in a year, or even on a day. Greg Williams' 45 possession game back in 1993, not a vote.

I gagged when Goodes won last year. No way was he the best player for the year. Judd, Kerr and West all had superior years but Goodes' run of 5 BOGs won him the award, despite being for half a year in which he hardly polled. That, and who else is going to take votes off him?

As I said, I prefer media awards as rather than being prancing turkeys, those people analyse the game properly, rather than remember who was busy that day. I also like the concept of the coaches award on Footy Classified. Coaches are fantastic judges and well done to Channel 9 for thinking of that concept.

I think umpires are not the best judges when it comes to allocating votes. They'd be far better at voting the winner of the under 9s Ballet Dance-Off.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
1970galaxie
Fat 460

Juddy had 'em worried until half way through the season.
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #9
herbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfire
Yeah I thought Sam Mitchell did a lot to deserve it.
Couldn't agree more with that smug little bastard Ablett cracking it not getting votes. Man it was hilarious.
WTF are you on about, is he supposed to sit there all night with a stupid grin on his face? :