Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Touch Up Paint

Anybody with any Venom Red AUs know of any touchup paint that would match the colour exactly - I seem to have obtained an almost deliberate (it doesn't look like its a scratch from a branch falling or anything, looks like someone has done it) 6 or so inch scratch above my drivers side window that looks to be down to bare metal, I don't want it to rust but I don't want some shitty touch up paint, I want it to match.

Any advice on a certain brand & colour would be great, I'd like it perfect if possible.

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Ford sell the little bottles of touch up with a brush - about $10 or $12 IIRC. You just need to nkow the colour code off the build plate and they will hand you the right stuff. Note that without clearocat etc on it, it does tend not too match exactly, but is usually fairly close.

The other option is that most auto shops carry holts or powerplus colour ranges - all you do is look up the book at the shop and match the paint code to the can.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Cheers JC. Might head down to the dealer a little later and see if they have any.

Agreed with the clearcoat bit, its probably going to be off because of that, as well as because I've got that paint protection stuff put on when I bought the car that stops the UV fading it etc.

Oh well, if it prevents the rust for now, I will probably get the front bar fixed sometime when I get some $ together from where I hit the cat, when they've got the paint mixed for that I might get the area redone properly.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I purchased some silhouette paint from Ford in the touch up tins. From a distance it looks ok but up close you can pick the spots out that have been done.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

I can mix it at work as can any other Autobarn store. You'll find that with Red and Black especially, they look a bit off as the clearcoat isnt on the bits you touch up, otherwise the paint is a perfect match.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
Turbot

Have Autobarn mix your colour then go outside with a tissue & brush a little on the car in the sun, usually touch up paint will be a little darker especially if the paint has any mettalics as they don't stand up like when they are sprayed, anyways if it looks lighter or darker get them to adjust it whilst your there. Also you could mix your made up paint with 50% clear which will look much better, though if the clear they sell has harndener in it it'll only last a day so dont mix it with all your paint. Then if your really game you could finely fill the scratch couple of times until its over full then get a hard candy block and some wet 2000 very lightly sand until level with the paint(careful cause if you go thru your clear coat it's farked) then machine buff no1 cutter lightly and breifly with water then no2 and coloured polish. Or pay some one.
Turbot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post