Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 05-08-2007, 02:41 AM   #1
celicara65
Starter Motor

Default Buying a Focus > would you do it again?

Having read over the fault register thread just now, I thought it may be an opportune time to pose the question - how many Focus owners on this forum would buy another one?

celicara65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 02:43 AM   #2
oziwally
average Joe

i would, but not brand new
oziwally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 03:13 AM   #3
celicara65
Starter Motor

A relative worked at Ford for 30 years which will save a few $$$. Ozi - what model do you have, and what's your experience been like thus far?
celicara65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would buy one again. I have had my faults on my car like everyone else. Once fixed my car has been a dream to drive. I wouldn't buy a LS but maybe the next model after that which will be manufactured in Australia. Maybe even buy a XR5 because nothing beats German quality

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
scooby

I probably would buy another one... but only if build quality improved. A good car to drive, but too many problems with mine.
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

HELL NO

I think that sums it up nicely.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
FocAus

Default Would I buy again? yep!

I swear, I must be one lucky focus owner (touching wood over and over).
Everyone has complained about serious problems with their focus, and I have not, as yet (touching wood) experienced similar problems. The only problem, minor/insignificant to say the least, is a broken clutch return spring which, from what I have read on the forums, is common.

I purchased a 2005 LX Focus Sedan from Southside Ford @ the Gabba in Brissy in early October 2005. The build date was September '05, of course, built in South Africa.

Apart from being underpowered (I believe, but that's just me), I'm hard pressed to fault it. I really feel saddened that this car has managed to be annoying/problematic to people. Having been raised in a Holden family, I am an outcast as I have converted to the Blue Oval. Initially I was pro-Focus, but after just looking and comparing Fords/Holdens, I'm now pro-Ford :sm_headba

I own the car outright, and will not own another new vehicle for probably the next 20 years. I will keep this one and maintain/modify it.

I just wish that (and the case is obvious due to the complaint's I have read), that Ford wasn't so spasmodic in the quality of their Focus. Does it mean that Ford has got it right, say, 1 out of 100 Foci, and I happened to buy that one??? Or, did the employees at the South African plant have a drug/alcohol free day when my Focus was manufactured?? Did the quality assurance guy/gal take paternity/maternity leave after mine was built?? Or, is it the way we as driver's drive the vehicle?? I serioulsy doubt the latter would be the case in the vast majority of instances. I just don't know why a Focus can be so troublesome.

Anyway, sorry to rant, just depressed that other people (through no fault of their own) can't get the same enjoyment out of their focus as I do.

P.S Love the AFF and the experiences and opinions on offer.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I love my Focus. Has been a great car. And I'm happy to hang on to it for years. I have had a number of more expensive cars, but dollar for dollar, I've had more fun with the Focus, and really no reliability problems ....but then mine was made in Germany!!LOL
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

We had a brand new 05 LS sedan that we kept for 7000 kays, it was the biggest bucket of crap we have ever owned, and we have had about 50 cars between 3 of us in my family...

Everything that could go wrong with this car did, and from day one there were issues, like the paint, the paint on these cars and the body work is terrible, they have runs on the doors, overspray, not enough clear, dints in the body work from where they arent welded correctly, the list goes on.

More then that the motor pinged all the time, even on 98 ron fuel it wouldnt shut up, it wouldnt start most mornings, it wouldnt steer straight, the reverse sensors didnt work, headlights filled up with water, boot rubbed the rear bumper and yeh, it was just a disaster regardless of how many times the dealer tried to fix things..

Would we ever buy one again ? Possibly after they start building them in Aus in 2011, the South African factory is known to produce poor quality cars, and even Ford Aus themselves acknowledged this when the LS first arirved in 2005 by sending some of its engineers to the factory!

Last small car i bought was a 2006 AH Astra, and although its not as quick as the Focus (theres stuff all between them), its so much better built, havent had a warranty claim on it yet, not to mention it came standard with alloys, side airbags, abs and cruise control!! I must also mention i think the LRs were better built, but never had one, only had loan cars which were alright to drive??

If you want a nice car and only wanna spend low $20's do yoruself a favour and try the Astra, they are very popular and are well built and reliable, not to mention MORE fuel efficient then the focus!!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #10
Mick K.

I've had my 2003 Zetec for 2.5 years and 30000kms. It has never let me down in the time I have had it. Warranty issues have been relatively minor (air vents, carpet lifting, and dash reset). I have done a mix of driving from a few 1000km trips to almost daily 10km trips to the station, a fair bit of the time with the cruise control on on the highway, but also some flogging on twisty roads with engine getting a workout.

I like the Focus, and with used car prices these days, I will probably hold onto it for a few years yet. Would I buy another one - probably not, because in my opinion life is too short to own the same kind of car twice, but no regrets on buying it.

The worst part about owning the car has been dealing with Ford on service and warranty issues. (Maybe when they start making the Focus here, Ford Aus will actually know how to service them?).

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #11
Turbodiesel
Torquer

You know if you search around other car forums I think you'll find that 90% of the people post there to complain or moan about problems. Every car from every manufacturer has problems just like any other piece of machinery it's just that you will always hear about things that go wrong, never things that go right.

Just think about all the Focus owners that don't post on here, I bet most of them are happy
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #12
FocAus

If you want a nice car and only wanna spend low $20's do yoruself a favour and try the Astra, they are very popular and are well built and reliable, not to mention MORE fuel efficient then the focus!![/QUOTE]

For info, not arguing with ya. The missus had our Focus down to 6.9L/100km with highway driving. With me driving it's up around 8.2 LOL. Anyways, it's till pretty good on fuel. Have only EVER used Shell Optimax (now V-power). I have just started a trial with a couple of tanks worth of BP Ultimate. I think after this tank, I'm going back to shell. BUT, horses for courses

Agree totally with what Turbodiesel has said. What the hell am I reading these forums for (even though everyone is entitled to there opinon), when all I read about is how crappy the car I bought is? Even though I don't have a problem. Even got people selling Holdens on the Ford forums. Jeez!!

Ford, Ford, where for art thou Ford??
Old 05-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #13
Curly
SOLD: 2006 LS Focus LX

I wouldn't buy another one due to the pinging issue we have. Otherwise, maybe.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
You know if you search around other car forums I think you'll find that 90% of the people post there to complain or moan about problems. Every car from every manufacturer has problems just like any other piece of machinery it's just that you will always hear about things that go wrong, never things that go right.

Just think about all the Focus owners that don't post on here, I bet most of them are happy
Not necessarily, the Focus does rate low on build quality in comparison to its competitors, even Ford have acknowledged this and hope to rectify it somewhat by building them here...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #15
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would buy another. possibly an auto sedan for the wife.

mine hasnt had one single problem despite getting a hard time from new.

reaches for wood table...
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 12:42 AM   #16
BlackLS

I wouldn't buy another Focus - probably coz I would never want to get rid of my current one!

But if I was forced to buy a new car with a 30 grand budget? I hear TDCi calling my name.

The only thing that would probably get my attention would be a mid sized RWD for less than 30k.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:57 AM   #17
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by More revs

mine hasnt had one single problem despite getting a hard time from new.

reaches for wood table...
Likewise, for the minor problems people seem to be having with their LS, there is nothing really with a flawed design (ok perhaps fuel pickup with < 4 or so L in the tank) but mines been given a very hard 82,000km life and it still feels fresh and tight.

The thing keeps V6 Commos honest, handles like no other medium sized car, cheap to run and maintain, fairly comfortable and looks the goods.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #18
whippet_zetec
Supes

Got my LR Zetec brand new 3 years ago this month, LOVE IT and arent planning on getting rid of it.

Would I buy another? Yes. If I had to I would look at the TDCi version but for the km's I do (34,000 in 3 years) highly doubt it would be any huge efficiency saving for me.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #19
scooby

I don't think people come to this website to 'moan' about their cars. But the unfortunate few that do have issues (myself included), are interested to see if others have had the same issues and how they were rectified. And yes, I'm sure the majority of Focus owners do have trouble free cars.
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #20
Forest Bear

I had the catalytic converter packing up at 120km on the odo but it was replaced and its been happy motoring ever since. Its nearly two years and its been a great car. I plan to keep it for 5 or 6 years.

Looking at photos of the mini-me-mondeo focus III. I'm definitely set on getting another focus!
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #21
photn
AFF Post NAZI

ill let you all know when i get mine next week,

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #22
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
ill let you all know when i get mine next week,
C'mon, spill the beans - what are you getting?
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #23
BlackLS

You only hear about the bad, never the good.

Overall it is a very very great car.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #24
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

I'd consider a new one, yes. Other than a creeky drivers seat and slightly notchy/stiff shift (but not anoyingly so!) my XR5 has been the dogs danglies.

w00t, etc.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #25
oziwally
average Joe

I have a LS Zetec, and not one problem with it, apart from putting 18's and lowering it, i have kinda carved my front up a bit, but otherwise great car, bit overproced brand new though, (yes i am a dumbass for realising that after i bought it)
oziwally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 06:41 PM   #26
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an LS also
No problems.
So yes i would.

but damn the smooth pack wheels are small lol
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #27
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

The family focus hasn't had any problems at all. My mum is very happy with it.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 07:13 PM   #28
Turbodiesel
Torquer

It's great to hear some nice comments about their cars now that I'm getting one, hopefully some of the issues mentioned have been addressed in the LT.

Can't wait
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 07:35 PM   #29
20focus05
I wanna XR5

We would, even with its probs but would go for LX
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #30
Markus85
Starter Motor

I would never go near a focus or a ford till they built something respectable, think i might be waiting for a while
Markus85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post