Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-08-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
Francis

Default AU XR6 Series 1 - ABS - Brake issues

AU XR6 Series 1 - ABS - Brake issues.

Hi all, I have an 99 AU XR6.

Ever since I have had the car I have never been happy with the break feel. I have over time had different pads, a new booster, and last time round had all 4 rotors machined and new Bendix pads installed, to no major difference.

The issue is that you really have to push hard to get the thing to pull up in normal driving. It does not make a difference hot or cold. It seems the very first brake in the morning works supper well, then for the rest of the day it's a feeling like for the amount of pushing you are doing on the pedal the pads are not squeezing hard enough on the rotors. The on set issue is that while you trying to come to a stop the ABS starts pulsing at the pedal if you pushing hard. What I have also noticed is that if you are braking while going over bumps (even lightly just touching the pedal or small ripples in the road) the ABS starts pulsing the pedal. This is also the case if you are reversing down a drive way and go over a bump the pedal will pulse. Even if you turn the steering wheel and hit the stops while breaking the ABS will pulse the pedal.

IS this a common fault with this model or is there anyone that has had this issue and had it fixed?

Thanks for any help.

Francis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If I were you, I'd get a calliper rebuild kit (around $20 per calliper) for the front and rear, and install them. For under $100, you will basically end up with nice new, working callipers - I suspect at the moment, one or more of your callipers is seized or partially seized, which would affect overall braking performance, and possibly even activate the ABS earlier than it should. The calliper rebuild kits come with fairly easy to follow instructions too, so if you can use a spanner, you can fit the kit.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
Francis

Hi mate, yep had that done the first time a had them checked. No difference.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:00 AM   #4
nob92@

maybe new slotted rotors might be tha go?? mine work like a treat all ya need to do is tickle her and she does nose stands.
nob92@ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I have an XR6 series 1 with ABS, never had a problem with brakes.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Back to basics - what pads are you running? What fluid? Pads should be Bendix Advance or similar spec, and fluid needs to be Dot4 or 5. Have you checked for vacuum leaks with the booster at all? Or vaccum eaks in the engine generally - if the booster's not getting enough, then the pedal will be hard to press.

Or are you just used to better brakes, and the AU1 lack of brakes is just not as good as what you have been used to? If that's the case, check out the BA brakes onto AU thread - for under $1k, you can double the braking performance of the car.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 07:46 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Or are you just used to better brakes, and the AU1 lack of brakes is just not as good as what you have been used to? If that's the case, check out the BA brakes onto AU thread - for under $1k, you can double the braking performance of the car.
I had the front brakes on my S1 wagon done for under 1K. Heaps better braking performance.

I highly recommend it. You may wish to use BA or BF gear, will probably be dearer, but better performance that I got from the S2 gear.

All the best with it.

GK

P.S JC has heaps of know-how on this one. PM him for answers to questions, he most usually is very quick to help out a fellow AUvian.

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 10:42 AM   #8
Francis

Hi Guy's thanks for all your info and help.

The booster is new and there are no leaks anywhere I can find.

The fluid (I"m not sure what it is, most likey the orginal fill)

The Pad's are Bendix.

I tend to think that the issue might be in the ABS pressure sensor unit, see it feels like you need to really push like anything to get it to stop, but then if the road is a bit rough then the abs knocks the pedel about untill you back off.

I dont know, maybe I am used to better brakes, my Brother has a VT wagon and that will out brake mine twice over with 100% better pedal feel.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis
I dont know, maybe I am used to better brakes, my Brother has a VT wagon and that will out brake mine twice over with 100% better pedal feel.
After driving the VE commodore company car I know exactly what you mean.

The commodore brake feel is 1000 times different. The pedal feels way more solid on the commy than the AU1 Falcon. I jumped into the car and hit the brakes like I did in my falcon and I almost went thru the windscreen...it really did stop way better.

Since the BA brakes are on my car it's much improved.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #10
northy16
silver SR

Had this issue with my series 3 SR, took it to a mechanic, couldn't trace the fault, took it to Fords, there was a fault in the sensor, about $300 later, no more issues. They tell me that it will log an error code so it can only be tracked by Ford.
northy16 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would stary by looking at the sensors to see if any have moved or are dodgy at all get a mechanic with a decent scantool to run a diag on the ABS ( yes that data is also at the diag port) otherwise it may be the actual ABS unit but if you want better brakes upgrade to either S2 or BA
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 08:54 AM   #12
Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by northy16
Had this issue with my series 3 SR, took it to a mechanic, couldn't trace the fault, took it to Fords, there was a fault in the sensor, about $300 later, no more issues. They tell me that it will log an error code so it can only be tracked by Ford.
Hi mate, just wondering if you know any finner detail about what was wong or what you had fixed. I have booked mine in to get checked and I know they are going to ask me the question and I would like to be able to send them in the right direction from the start.
Old 20-09-2007, 03:33 PM   #13
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
AU XR6 Series 1 - ABS - Brake issues.

Hi all, I have an 99 AU XR6.

Ever since I have had the car I have never been happy with the break feel. I have over time had different pads, a new booster, and last time round had all 4 rotors machined and new Bendix pads installed, to no major difference.

The issue is that you really have to push hard to get the thing to pull up in normal driving. It does not make a difference hot or cold. It seems the very first brake in the morning works supper well, then for the rest of the day it's a feeling like for the amount of pushing you are doing on the pedal the pads are not squeezing hard enough on the rotors. The on set issue is that while you trying to come to a stop the ABS starts pulsing at the pedal if you pushing hard. What I have also noticed is that if you are braking while going over bumps (even lightly just touching the pedal or small ripples in the road) the ABS starts pulsing the pedal. This is also the case if you are reversing down a drive way and go over a bump the pedal will pulse. Even if you turn the steering wheel and hit the stops while breaking the ABS will pulse the pedal.

IS this a common fault with this model or is there anyone that has had this issue and had it fixed?

Thanks for any help.

This is exactly what my brakes do, can only Ford fix it if its the sensor or the like?? Ive bleed the brakes twice now, slotted rotors etc.

And Ive got 650kg worth of salt to be delivered in the ute :
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
Francis

Mate I've tried a booster, pads, everything but the sensors.

I've got mine booked in for mid next week but I'm worried that who ever gets the job at ford will say there is nothing wrong casue the ABS light is not showing a fault. So I'm really keen to find out any more details on what it was that was reaplced or said in other exapmles of this so I can direct them in the best direction.

I'll share what I find once it goes in to get looked at also.
Old 20-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #15
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:

The fluid (I"m not sure what it is, most likey the orginal fill)
That will be the problem. Get some Nulon brake fluid, and do a flush.Its pretty cheap, is easy, and will give you awesome feel.
Mine were really hard, and I hated them (DBA slotteds nad Bendix pads), brake fluid flush, and it feels beaut.

Mine was also on what I think was the original fluid, and it sure did need the flush.
Old 20-09-2007, 07:24 PM   #16
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have a good pedal but braking performance is poor it's unlikely that the fault is with the ABS module or any sensor in it. ABS basically lies dormant until ABS intervention is needed, you can unplug the ABS module and normal braking performance will not change. This symptom is very similar to the one experienced by fitting Motorcraft pads, try a different brand pad.
BTW change the fluid.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post