Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 12-06-2007, 12:24 AM   #1
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Default KF TX3 big loss of power, Need Some Help!

maybe you guys can help us out,

me and a mate were driving round in his KF TX3 (N/A) FWD, we noticed a SEVERE power drop, im talking a good 30KW (at the flywheel), won't rev past 5000rpm, and has dropped about 15db in exhaust noise.

At first we thought it might have been because the cat was gone, (it was well and truly stuffed and we knew that), so we put a broomhandle though it and cleaned it right out, it made a tiny difference but bugger all really.

so then we thought it might have been a bad batch of fuel (from 7/11), so we went to another servo, filled it up with BP Ultimate... made no difference.

we havn't yet done a compression check or taken the car for a spin without the pod filter off (to see if it blocking up some how), or checked the fuel filter. we ran out of light to quick and it was also raining....

just wondering if any of you guys could help us out... we cant seem to work it out, the next idea on my mind is that there is a blockage in the exhaust (due the massive and almost instant drop in exhaust noise) but we haven't had a chance to pull the entire system off yet and probably wont until next weekend.

just to put into perspective how much power its lost, when we tried to spin the wheels in the wet (trying to see how bad the problem was) it barely spun, it only spun up to about 4000rpm in 1st gear! now usually it will be all wheel spin until it goes into 4th.

help please?
cheers

XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 12:57 AM   #2
smally289
growing up is optional

Id go for blocked exhaust first. Bits of convertor could be wedged in there. Unbolt the system at the back of the cat and go for a drive, no need to remove the whole system just to check it.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 01:11 AM   #3
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

theres no muffler behind the cat.... but yeah why not...
i reckon the exhaust is blocked too.... im hoping we can pull it apart and shove something down it too clean it.

it has a cannon exhaust tip too... which i think looks bloody stupid but its not my car.

also, just throwing an idea up in the air here, if the centre muffler is blocked (stock one), how can we clean it?, as im betting thats where it is blocked if its blocked.
Old 14-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Blocked exhaust sounds like it could be possible. Happened with my TX5 when crap from the muffler broke down and blocked it off. Mine was the rear one though so a lot easier to spot.

Big drop in power and the exhaust note went dead. Every now and again it would shift the crap out of the way and be fine but it would come back.

Probably the cheapest thing to look at first ;)
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 01:07 AM   #5
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

cheers MITCHAY,
Yeah we are pretty sure now that it was caused from the car starting to blow out, and a peice is stuck either in front or inside the centre muffler... won't be certain until sometime this weekend though.
Old 21-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

definatly was a blocked exhaust, it cleaned itself out just before we were going to cut the muffler off, its now rediculously loud!
it seems the cat was so blocked up it as acting as a good muffler too!!! i have to get a video clip of how loud the car is, it kills your ears at 3500rpm.