Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-06-2007, 10:12 PM   #1
Focusfan12
Starter Motor

Default Need Advice

Hi Everyone.
Im a newbie here, its great to finally see a Ford Focus group.
I think the idea of a get together is pretty cool to and will sure think about giving them a visit.
My Main question here is, What exhaust system is best and what sort of Extractors should i use i have seen a few systems but not sure exaclty what to get? Any thoughts? I have put a link in here to show you all a set but they are from the USA and im not sure if i can get these here or similar. they say they are for race only but not sure what to think..

http://www.focussport.com/headers.htm

I live on the Nth Side of Brissy so maybe someone will know who to see about maybe making up a system from header to Exhaust tip...
I want to also know about better air flow tecniques..

Thanks Scott

Focusfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
FRA
Mr Focus

Me and Melbzetec have 4-2-1 header
I have a OBX header and Melbzetec has Ford racing.
Both brands are damn good.
Go to autobarn and you can get a good air intake system
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
FRA
Mr Focus

Borla makes a good exhaust system for the Focus.
It'll cost you less to buy 1 from the states then what it is to get 1 made here in Australia.
Shorty headers:
PROS:
Shorty headers when used in conjunction with a stock catalytic converters don’t produce very large gains. Though a shorty header used in conjunction with a hi flow cat can make very good gains. A shorty header and hi flow cat combo also allow the engine to produce usable low rpm torque, this is good for daily drivers.
CONS:
Shorty headers do have one con and that is price, a quality shorty will cost close to as much as a race header. Dollar for dollar vs. a race header they aren’t as worth it. But if staying emissions legal they are as good as it gets. I have also found that over long term use, an aftermarket shorty can prematurely wear a stock catalytic converter.
Race headers:
PROS:
For the money, if you plan to make serious power in any form a race header is necessary. Also they cannot be beaten when it comes to price.
CONS:
Race headers require removal of the catalytic converter. Many folks cannot remove their cat for emissions reasons. This makes a race header impossible to use.

I hope this help you.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Old 12-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What are the standard headers like on the LS? Are they worth keeping with a cat back??
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by More revs
What are the standard headers like on the LS? Are they worth keeping with a cat back??
From what I hear the whole exhaust is a bit restrictive from meeting Euro 4 or 5 emissions.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #6
FRA
Mr Focus

I'm not to sure as I don't own a LS, I haven't seen LS header so I couldn't answer that for ya.
If you want max exhaust flow and Hp 4 to 1 header are the go for the Focus LS but if you want to stay emissions legal then leave the header alone.
You'll need a MIL Eliminator if you go 4-2-1 or 4-1 headers: will keep the MIL or engine light from being tripped due to no catalyst. It will also keep Air to Fuel Ratios in check. Installs in downstream cat monitor harness and plug & play.