Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #31
Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA
Yes it is F@#king ridiculous but, it's all 100% true.
whoa, easy there big fella

Quote:
What Haven't I explained?
well perhaps you could start by explaining the following:

why in god's name would you plan on reducing the compression ratio of a naturally aspirated engine? unless you are planning on turbocharging the engine (which, by the way, you do not mention) all an 8.8:1 comp ratio is going to do is make the car run like a dog and produce vastly smaller amounts of power.

likewise you are planning on installing con rods that can handle 500hp. again, why in god's name are you bothering? a street driven 2L n/a engine has 3/5ths of **** all chance of producing that sort of power, and especially not one with an 8.8:1 compression ratio :

then there's the 70mm throttle body designed for a car with 2.5x the engine capacity, which again smacks of :

the 8000RPM camshaft. ummmmm, correct me if i am wrong, but camshafts are usually specified based on degrees and lift duration among other things, not RPM, plus you need 2 of them

the rest of the mods you list, save for the cosworth exhaust system, are so non-specific i'm not even going to bother.

Quote:
All of these parts fit Zetec 2.0L
i don't recall anyone ever saying they wouldn't...

Quote:
Would you like me to post a Video link a Focus getting dyno tested at 455Hp or going down the 1/4 mile doing 11.24sec@127mph
you can post as many videos of 11 second 1/4 miles by 455hp foci as you damn well please, it wont in any way change the fact that the mods you listed make absolutely no sense.

Quote:
Now thats Bull****.
is it? is it really?

Uni/.

Last edited by Uni; 30-07-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 02:15 PM   #32
FRA
Mr Focus

[QUOTE=Uni]whoa, easy there big fella
well perhaps you could start by explaining the following:

why in god's name would you plan on reducing the compression ratio of a naturally aspirated engine? unless you are planning on turbocharging the engine (which, by the way, you do not mention) all an 8.8:1 comp ratio is going to do is make the car run like a dog and produce vastly smaller amounts of power.
Yes I am going to get a turbo and the turbo I'm going to get is GT66 and bigger injector.
The whole car is getting upgraded, inside and out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
Likewise you are planning on installing con rods that can handle 500hp. again, why in god's name are you bothering? a street driven 2L n/a engine has 3/5ths of **** all chance of producing that sort of power, and especially not one with an 8.8:1 compression ratio :
Rods handling over 400 lb ft of torque, pistons ( 86mm, 8.8:1 ) tested at over 500 HP by Cosworth. then I have get a torque converter and input shaft kit and other parts to make this all happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
then there's the 70mm throttle body designed for a car with 2.5x the engine capacity, which again smacks of
The 70mm throttle body was designed to go with 2.0L racing manifold.
The racing manifold add's 500rpm just on its own, pushing max rev from 5500rpm to 6000rpm without anyother mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
the 8000RPM camshaft. ummmmm, correct me if i am wrong, but camshafts are usually specified based on degrees and lift duration among other things, not RPM, plus you need 2 of them
Thats all true.
When you buy camshaft you get 2 of them, so why would I put in just 1?
Plus Stage 1,2 or 3 cost at RRP $719.00 for both camshafts.
Stage 1 rpm range idle to 6500rpm( 9.5mm.375" INT & 9.3mm.366" EXT Valve lift, 210* INT & 206* EXT Duration @.50" 232* INT & 228 EXT* Advertised Duration 110* Lobe Separation

Stage 2 rpm range 2.000 to 7000rpm( 9.7mm.382" INT & 9.5mm .374" EXT Valve lift, 210* INT & 210* EXT Duration @.50" 232* INT & 232* EXT Advertised Duration 109* Lobe Separation

Stage 3CNC ported head with port matched intake. Increased compression recommended: 10.5:1-12.0:1. rpm range 3000 to 8000rpm (9.9mm.390" INT & 9.9mm.390" Valve lift, 218* INT & 218* EXT Duration @.50" 240* & 240* Advertised Duration 110 Lobe Separation
The engine rev RPM is set at 7000rpm, so I need Pectel engine management system so that I can push past 7000rpm.

2.0L Zetec CNC'D aluminum head
CNC'D for flow improvment and includes 3-angle valve job, Cast from Prim 319 aluminum, Assembled with 21.44N stainless steel intake and exhaust valves-production valve springs andretainers( tappets, cams and cam seals not included). Intake valve diameter: 33mm, Exhaust valve diameter:30mm, Chamber volume 47.7cc(nominal)

Typical airflow (@28" of H2* Depression) as Delivered
Lift Intake flow(scfm) Exhaust flow(Scfm)

.050 38.0 32.8
.100 80.7 74.9
.150 119.1 109.1
.200 153.7 144.6
.250 181.0 167.9
.300 193.0 186.0
.350 204.8 188.5
.400 214.0 193.1
.550 220.3 195.2
All of the camshaft and CNC'D head figures are by Ford Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
the rest of the mods you list, save for the cosworth exhaust system, are so non-specific i'm not even going to bother.
Theres no point adding exhaust and leaving the headers and flex pipe standard or leave the flex pipe standard while the header and exhaust has been done. thats a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
i don't recall anyone ever saying they wouldn't....
We can recall a few that are still in earlier posts, but each to there own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
you can post as many videos of 11 second 1/4 miles by 455hp foci as you damn well please, it wont in any way change the fact that the mods you listed make absolutely no sense.
Here are the mods this 11.24sec Focus
473hp,415tq.@ wheels Dynojet 248, Silver State Motorsports
-Turbo, intercooled,Stg. 2 cams, ported ZX3 head,FR intake manifold, bigger valves,stock coil pack, stock plug wires,stock axles, low compression probe pistons, eagle rods,tial BOV,HKS GT II wastegate, HKS F-Con V pro stand alone engine management. Tilton Clutch, aluminum flywheel. 4"x10" K&N filter

My plan is making a high performance Ford Focus 4V 1600cc engine go hard and kick some *** at the drags so this is why I am doing this for.

You have to remember that this is going to be an offroad racing vehicle when finished. There is no reason to do mods to an ordinary everyday vehicle such as these otherwise.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.

Last edited by FRA; 01-08-2006 at 02:41 PM.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 02:54 PM   #33
simonr
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA
Ford Focus 4V 1600cc engine

?? i thought it was a 2.0L did i miss something..

Otherwise

I think Rob/FRA should be given some credit for taking some initative and actually doing some major mods..
and hopefully he can prove us all wrong..
Old 01-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #34
Uni

ok, great, you can copy and paste specs, congratulations.

you still havent explained the reasoning behind dropping the compression on a naturally aspirated engine. even your specs recommend raising the compression ratio.

the car you cite as an example is irrelevant because it is turbo'ed and yours is not.

Uni/.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #35
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
ok, great, you can copy and paste specs, congratulations.

the car you cite as an example is irrelevant because it is turbo'ed and yours is not.

Uni/.

Actually if you read the post you first quoted, you will note I have already stated that I am getting a Turbo put in......so it is relevant as this is what i am aiming for.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Old 01-08-2006, 06:49 PM   #36
FRA
Mr Focus

Thanks Simon. Hoping when everything finally goes on .....it will really fly down the quarter mile for me.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:23 PM   #37
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
you still havent explained the reasoning behind dropping the compression on a naturally aspirated engine. even your specs recommend raising the compression ratio.
Maybe I am missing something here, but could you please show me where I said it would be lowered?
Old 01-08-2006, 08:48 PM   #38
Uni

Angry

you are absolutely infuriating. what? are we supposed to bloody guess you're throwing a GT66 and bigger injectors in? or were you saving at as a big climactic suprise just to keep us all on the edge of our seats? Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ...

when you finally do mention it A WHOLE PAGE AFTER THE ORIGINAL QUESTION, you manage to c0ck up the formatting so badly it ends up as part of my quote. top work. it mentions no where prior to that anything about a turbo, and the future mods paragraph on your cardomain page also overlooks the minor detail of the turbo installation.

it should be duly noted that i am not the only person in this thread who, sadly, does not possess your astounding mind reading ability. this could have been cleared up bloody ages ago if you answered the original question posted by ZX3Tuning - which you completely ignored.

Uni/.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #39
simonr
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
those mods you listed are ridiculous, and you still haven't explained yourself. methinks you're full of ****
I Think its all a bit far fetched...

but the guy has already spend ****loads on his focus already...

Those ozracing rims are nearly worth all my mods put together lol..

So i have a feeling he isn't gonna stop there..

But hey... we shall see...
Old 01-08-2006, 09:11 PM   #40
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
you are absolutely infuriating. what? are we supposed to bloody guess you're throwing a GT66 and bigger injectors in? or were you saving at as a big climactic suprise just to keep us all on the edge of our seats? Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ...

when you finally do mention it A WHOLE PAGE AFTER THE ORIGINAL QUESTION, you manage to c0ck up the formatting so badly it ends up as part of my quote. top work. it mentions no where prior to that anything about a turbo, and the future mods paragraph on your cardomain page also overlooks the minor detail of the turbo installation.

it should be duly noted that i am not the only person in this thread who, sadly, does not possess your astounding mind reading ability. this could have been cleared up bloody ages ago if you answered the original question posted by ZX3Tuning - which you completely ignored.

Uni/.
Well i am sorry, but like everyone else who first buys their car, they are so excited about it, they want to tell the world....but like everyone else ....I didnt know exactly what I wanted to do to it and as I researched it more
and spoke to the reps at Ford Racing.......I knew exactly what I wanted done and thought you guys would be excited too, to see a Focus being done up so much.

Sorry if I was wrong.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #41
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonr
I Think its all a bit far fetched...

but the guy has already spend ****loads on his focus already...

Those ozracing rims are nearly worth all my mods put together lol..

So i have a feeling he isn't gonna stop there..

But hey... we shall see...
Hey mate you're not wrong on the cost.....those oz racing rims with tyres cost me around $3800.....and almost a divorce....lol
Plus the cost of the bodykit.
Alot of people say it's a waste of time on this little 4cylinder or just to buy a Focus and leave it standard, I still cop alot of crap.
People say why would you bother, hmmm
Just to do something different and new on the car scene.
And not the same old cars that I have been work on and its pointless in doing the same thing...LOL
The exhaust is just about to leave the US in a few weeks, so it won't come here to Australia until mid/end August.

What can I say guys...I love the Ford Focus standard or mod

Last edited by FRA; 01-08-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #42
OZXR4
formally ozmondeo

you should join the road squadron with the rear lights that looks like they will blast you into orbit.
Old 13-08-2006, 12:04 AM   #43
FRA
Mr Focus

I've been there done there...LOL
There's been a few people who don't see the brake lights, can't get much bigger then that...lol
Old 13-08-2006, 01:10 AM   #44
FRA
Mr Focus

I've 2 pics up of what my full bodykit looks like.
A few people on here have seen what it looks like ages ago.
Old 29-08-2006, 10:25 PM   #45
FRA
Mr Focus

My 2003 CL sedan is 3 years old today.
55,000km and still going hard.
Old 29-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #46
FRA
Mr Focus

I have worked out what parts I want for the engine but, Now Ford racing has a Zetec race engine. No info on this engine so I'll have to wait again and re'plan
Old 30-08-2006, 10:34 AM   #47
photn
AFF Post NAZI

WOW FRA i must say thats some awesome mods there...
i have to say though i can sort of understand why you are doing it.....im guessing this may be your hobby ???

also i dont get is that why every1 is upset about it....not sure if ppl are jsut jealous or looney....in my opinion if he wants to mod his car and do all these wonderfull engine mods then hell let the guy.....its his car and its up to him.... and its good that you got a plan.....always good to have.....umm i cbf reading all that mumbo jumbo on the car but are you getting a rear wheel conversion, otherwise from what ive been told your going to *tourque steer like a pig* as jeremy clarkson says......just asking.????

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 10:17 PM   #48
FRA
Mr Focus

Its business and a hobby at the same time, so thats pretty cool for me.
I'm not sure why everyone is setup about our Ford Focus, I think people are getting worried about what I am going to do to it man.
It's going to be FWD or 4WD if i can find someone to do it, finish project 514hp@ wheels, 415ft-Ibs of torque, 72Ibs with 29 boost.
You will have to re'build this engine runnig it like this maybe get 2 runs before a re'build, Most of the time I'll run low boost for every day driving but thing like dyno day or at the drags full boost.
I have the High Performance Ford Focus builder's book by Richard Holdener.
I can't wait to see peoples faces when this Focus goes like a bat out of hell.
I haven't even started to mod this Focus yet.

Thanks for the support and kind words dude.
Old 31-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #49
amlohac

514hp? at the front wheels? Griffin your a madman!
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 05:02 PM   #50
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That rear wing is ridiculous , look ok on a top fuel dragster! haha
exrtnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #51
Marshy79

FRA you will find there are places that can convert the FWD to AWD.

But you will find the diffs are bigger and the car will need to sit higher off the ground as well.

Ask about ground clearance / ride height if you are serious about looking into this. Its darn expensive in my eyes. I'd be looking at buying a diff car to do up and start with AWD. But each to their own.
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 07:47 PM   #52
FRA
Mr Focus

It's a full on drag racing wing by Ford Racing, it's not 1 of these autobarn special...hahaha
Old 31-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #53
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlohac
514hp? at the front wheels? Griffin your a madman!
I'm a crazy mother F#$ker...LOL
Old 31-08-2006, 07:57 PM   #54
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshy79
FRA you will find there are places that can convert the FWD to AWD.
I'm in Brisbane so anyone up here that can do it?
Old 01-09-2006, 02:15 AM   #55
Marshy79

I keep coming back to give myself a second opinion on this car.
But I still laugh.

The front doesnt seem right to me. Looks more like an old excel with a crazy fat nosecone that just doesnt fit the panels.

Now Im not baggin it... just looks funny.. each to their own.

But I have a question.
You are looking at spending all this hard earned cash on turning this thing into something very quick. Why did you choose a kit that isnt really that aerodynamic looking? Wouldnt a slick car also be a performance mod in itself? Less drag means the car will cut through the air better.

Just wondering if you thought about this when planning the project.

Having said that.... we all wouldnt mind a little fast and furious rice burner overkill machine in our garages, im sure.

You should look into putting some vinyl stickers on the car to really flash it up. Looks a lil plain in one colour in my eyes.
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 07:24 AM   #56
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the head lights, but I'm not sure about the rest of it. The wing is very big. : Actually, I do like the pics of the red focus on your car domain site. Any chance you have other photo's of that car?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 08:21 PM   #57
FRA
Mr Focus

There's no other pics I have, hard to find pic of this Focus bodykit in the states as the company went under. might find a handful of them.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:33 PM   #58
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok cool. Thanx anyway.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 08:36 PM   #59
FRA
Mr Focus

The Focus has all the mods I want and I'm not talking about the engine.
No point working on a car thats been done before.
I want a challenge and the Focus gives me that and to prove a point to people it can be done.
I am going to put more stickers on the car.

Alot of people get fired up over this car and theres no reason to be.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #60
FRA
Mr Focus

I have found a original pic of the front hood before they change it.
It's on cardomain site now.
I'm still looking for the middle back wing.