Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-11-2005, 05:02 PM   #1
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 
Exclamation Stereo Help (Remove Original)

I have an AU 1 XL Ute, and am changing the head unit to a Pioneer DEH 7750, but am unable to remove the old one(single din tape player)

I made a set of prongs (As per gregory manual), but it still won't release and come out. I been told to push from behind, but because it is a single din, there is a consol below it that won't come out. Looking at one out of a car, it seams that the stereo needs to be out to remove it
Any ideas?

Also, the surround that goes from the ash tray to above the center air vents(that surround the stereo and air con controls), any idea on how to remove it, without taking the whole dash off?

Thanks, i need help.

Cheers

superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes you can remove the center console pod piece. Theres an article on aufalcon.com about it.

You should be able to get your hand in from behind, (from the side - under the drivers dash, or passenger). You could also take out the pocket under neath, and slide your hand through that. Make sure when you push the prongs in, that you hear a click.

Goodluck
Old 14-11-2005, 06:07 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

To remove the console, you need to remove the radio. You can force the console out (ie break it), which may make it easier to get the radio out, but will require you to purchase a new console piece.
I have the proper keys Ford use to remove radios, but unless you're in Canberra, they're probably not much good to you.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Simply use two pieces of reasonably hard 2mm wire. Bend them into a U shape, with the legs about 60mm long. Make sure the legs are spaced apart at the same spacing of the holes in the deck. Insert the legs into the holes until you feel a bit of resistance the a click. Now push the right tool hard to the right and the left tool to the left and at the same time pull the deck out. It will take a few goes because the wire may slip, but it worked for me no probs. No need to buy and tools.

Edit. Just reading again, you've made the tools as per the gregorys book. That's what i did, the key is though the pulling them hard left and right and wiggle the deck as you pull it out.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
Stingray
Sponsor

Many times these radios get stuck.Ypu may require the appropriate radio removal tools .The coathanger wire does not work every time.

For car handfree kits ..
Reverse sensors
Reverse camera
Central locking.
Spot lights.
Alarm upgrades for cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_ed_wagon
The mob at stingray really care about their customers and dont just take the money, send the item and its all over, they keep in contact all the way through the sale and try to help out...

www.stingraycar.com.au
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 08:32 PM   #6
FRIKA
FRIKA

i just went to an audio place and they pulled it out free of charge.
Old 14-11-2005, 08:42 PM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

Yeah, I tried the coathanger trick, for two hours, sweat and a lot of swearing and got no-where. I went to strathfield, they let me borrow the tool they said would get it out, and it was the wrong one. I still havent got that stupid thing out.
Old 14-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #8
sickxr
Ford POWER!

Thats a nice head deck buddy i put 1 in my au around 6months ago! I bought the tools of ebay, for like 40bucks i got this whole kit that does every car!
sickxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2005, 12:09 AM   #9
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR AYTE
i just went to an audio place and they pulled it out free of charge.
Yes, I did the same... i just rocked up to JB, they took it out and they even gave me the tools to keep for free! Easier than wasting your time with the coathanger trick.
Old 15-11-2005, 01:27 AM   #10
EvilChief
Boost Addict

when i used the coat hanger trick i first pushed the headunit in and then pulled out. i also made very small hooks at the end of the coat hanger, so when pushed in u can twost em and the lock in. that way you can pull it out. if u r tricky enough you can also removed the little pocket from underneath the HU without breaking it, which will give you some access to pushing it from behind.

BTW i used to have one of those DEH 7750, lovely unit, now replaced with gauges
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2005, 02:33 PM   #11
superroo

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Thanks for the ideas, i'll go give em a try.
If that don't work, i'll end up having it removed by autobarn or garry's

Cheers
Old 16-11-2005, 12:55 AM   #12
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dunno if this is the same for single-din decks but my double din Au deck only has 1 clip, on the left hand side, the rid hand side you dont really need to worry about, other than getting something in there to pull out that side with obiovusly

As for the actual clip, its on the left. sometimes the clips are ed, in which case I got a small flathead scredriver and oretty much aimed for 1cm above the botton and 1cm below the top left corners and just forced the screwdriver in, I then pushed really hard towards the deck and I bent the clip enough to get the deck out

I really, really, really hate those decks....
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 07:49 AM   #13
efgiar
rofl copter

hey, i put a stereo in a au, sfrrobs actually and he didnt have the prongs, me either :( i used a flat blade and bent it out and pulled it from behind getting one side free then did it to the other side and it came out, and u just bend it back in, bush mechanic all the way!

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 10:55 PM   #14
superroo

Success

It’s out. Unfortunately, I had to attack the bottom tray with a hack saw to remove the two upper clips that link it to the radio (it’s still intact and useable though). Once that was done, the left clip on the stereo had bent outwards, making using the proper tools useless. The center dash section then had an excursion out of the car, and the stereo, slid out with ease then.

But before that, I tried going to autobarn. They pulled out the keys, and they slid all the way in (because I had jiggered the clips). Their recommendation, destroy the bottom tray and go from there.

Thanks for all your help, but how did you guys find fitting a single din unit. The way I want to mount mine (as deep as it will go) leaves a gap between the bottom of the unit and the original tray. I have to fabricate a surrounding (polished aluminum) to close this gap.

Cheers
Old 16-11-2005, 11:09 PM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
Thanks for all your help, but how did you guys find fitting a single din unit. The way I want to mount mine (as deep as it will go) leaves a gap between the bottom of the unit and the original tray. I have to fabricate a surrounding (polished aluminum) to close this gap.

Cheers
ive read that you can get a part from ford that fills this gap nicely.
Old 17-11-2005, 12:23 AM   #16
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
Once that was done, the left clip on the stereo had bent outwards, making using the proper tools useless.
Haha, i did that getting the double DIN headunit out of my fairlane, but i didnt have the luxury of being able to pull the pocket out.

We ended up drilling a hole in the middle of the other two holes, slid a screwdriver in the new hole and uncliped it in the centre where it goes into the surround. Then after sliding the deck out about in inch, it got stuck again and rather than just pushing it back in and starting over, we got a flatblade under the whole bracket and twisted, stripping the screw and the unit slid out :

Tells ya what, i hope whoever has this car next likes Alpine 9815s.....

Hers: 2006 BF Super Pursuit in Vixen
kryzak260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post