Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-08-2006, 11:51 PM   #61
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempster1
Best we ever did was Alice to Darwin in 10 hours flat, I could leave Alive early in the morning and be sat in the Dariwn Yatch club having a beer watching the sunset.
yep, that is a very achievable time. It means that you averaged about 150k. Pretty good. I bet that beer at the yacht club tasted good. Are you a member? We have our yacht moored there. One of the nicest places in Oz.
Cheers.
Old 24-08-2006, 01:21 AM   #62
F6 UTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack

BF not BA. I would hazard a guess that you have not done many miles in the Territory, nor navigated your way around too much wildlife. To say that a ferrari at 200k is a safer proposition than my BF at 140 or 160, proves this . I have hit roos at 80k. We nailed 3 one night (in a 4x4 with a bull bar) while traveling at less than 70. I know , I know , they wont run it at night........

I still stand by my comment.

People know the risks on anything they partake in, before they 'compete'. Be-it drag racing, track racing, or going fllat out on the open roads.

It's a risk everybody takes.

Me, I think you're a local who might find these events will take away your 'right' to enjoy the open speed limits up there. The more attention they get, the more likely some polly will be of the opinion they are completely unnecessary, ( and with public presure from the do-gooders ) and enforce a 'speed limit'.
I find it suprising you care so much for joe millionare who wants to fly in and flog around in his million dollar toy and may kill himself. Yes there was an accident at the last event, but it could have been completely avoidable.

I may be wrong.
F6 UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #63
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

I think one point that some people are missing is how unpredictable roo's and general wildlife is. If you've never encountered any, you'd wouldn't think that.

Example, cruising home one night in a 4 car convoy over easter. open'ish area - enough to see.
We were not spread out excessivly. about 10 -15 seconds first to last car

Car 1 - didn't see roo (high beams on) - me
Car 2 - didn't see roo (low beams)
Car 3 - Saw roo on side on road not going anywhere(low beams)
car 4 - hit roo -no warning (low beams)

theres plenty more stories like that as well

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #64
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
I think one point that some people are missing is how unpredictable roo's and general wildlife is. If you've never encountered any, you'd wouldn't think that.

Example, cruising home one night in a 4 car convoy over easter. open'ish area - enough to see.
We were not spread out excessivly. about 10 -15 seconds first to last car

Car 1 - didn't see roo (high beams on) - me
Car 2 - didn't see roo (low beams)
Car 3 - Saw roo on side on road not going anywhere(low beams)
car 4 - hit roo -no warning (low beams)

theres plenty more stories like that as well

Cheers
I came around a bend coming into Pine Creek NT on dusk. High Beam on.
No bullbar. No frontal protection. Saw the roo in the corner of my eye, had no time to react, and didn't have room to move as I was mid corner at the time. Hit dead centre.

Remember, these animals can stand up to 1.8mt in height, and weigh up to 100kg's. They can also hop up to 70km/h too in short bursts (Such as crossing the highway)

Cheers
Old 24-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #65
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
I came around a bend coming into Pine Creek NT on dusk. High Beam on.
No bullbar. No frontal protection. Saw the roo in the corner of my eye, had no time to react, and didn't have room to move as I was mid corner at the time. Hit dead centre.

Remember, these animals can stand up to 1.8mt in height, and weigh up to 100kg's. They can also hop up to 70km/h too in short bursts (Such as crossing the highway)

Cheers
I rest my point, thanks guys. And the faster you are going, the harder you will hit.
Old 24-08-2006, 10:38 PM   #66
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

anyone who tried arguing that a ferrari has a better chance at avoiding hitting a roo than a falcon obviously hasnt lived too far from the 'burbs

nothing can help you if a 'roo bounces out of the scrub when you're doing the kinda speeds the cannonballers do..... the best thing you can hope for is you dont hit him, cos at 250+km/h, you simply dont have the time to spot a roo and take evasive action unless he's WAAAAAY ahead of you, and 99% of the time, when they're that far ahead, they'll be in the scrub on the other side of the road before you get there.....
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 10:45 PM   #67
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
anyone who tried arguing that a ferrari has a better chance at avoiding hitting a roo than a falcon obviously hasnt lived too far from the 'burbs

nothing can help you if a 'roo bounces out of the scrub when you're doing the kinda speeds the cannonballers do..... the best thing you can hope for is you dont hit him, cos at 250+km/h, you simply dont have the time to spot a roo and take evasive action unless he's WAAAAAY ahead of you, and 99% of the time, when they're that far ahead, they'll be in the scrub on the other side of the road before you get there.....

Spot on......

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 11:10 PM   #68
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Lumpen Proletariat[/B]]Are you talking about the be black line inside black circle sign? They're all over the place in North Coast of NSW, just on the back roads etc.
For this ERROR you can thank in particular Tweed Shire Council circa 1999-2004. No NSW Council is authorised to install these signs ANYMORE, thank you:-) They may however post instead the new R4-12 "END speed limit sign", this one falls back to the rural default, it is used to invoke particular caution to drivers when entering a length of road that has identified hazards, such as hidden intersections or driveways, rail crossings, soft edges etc and so on. This sign contains the english word "END", example END 80.

It's an almost worthless unique Australian sign created in a very multi-national country where not all speak English maaaate, let alone the tourists who are confused by it. Hopeless really, it is what happens when alcohol fuelled state public servants get together in Melbourne, and with Monash, to create a road traffic sign, whilst being totally oblivious to Commonwealth treaties.

Quote:
They just mean that you can go the maximum speed limit applicable in your state (ie-110kmh) they are not a 'derestriction sign' per se. At least not in NSW.
110km/h is a speed restriction rural 'default' limit in WA, not NSW, so what you are saying is that the sign means 100km/h here in NSW. It IS a 'speed derestriction sign' and no SPIN can change that.

AND where, aside from my beloved Road User's Handbook, - where I've had the signs real description as a 'speed derestricted sign' once again used within, do you get this idea??

Quote:
Ironically, most of the roads that these signs are left on, you can't safely do 60kmh, let alone 110 and thats just due to the condition of the road, not to mention cane harvesters, tractors, horses, dogs, school zones etc.

Doesn't stop alot of stupid people trying though.
NOTHING stupid about people obeying the meaning of what is an INTERNATIONAL road traffic sign.

Would you like to make this a seperate thread?
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 24-08-2006 at 11:25 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #69
kempster1

Quote:
yep, that is a very achievable time. It means that you averaged about 150k. Pretty good. I bet that beer at the yacht club tasted good. Are you a member? We have our yacht moored there. One of the nicest places in Oz.
Cheers.
I was never a member, we just loved sitting there under the trees watching the best sunsets in Australia.
Stunning spot.
kempster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #70
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Woops Wrong Thread

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods

Last edited by Fairlane; 25-08-2006 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong thread
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 03:15 PM   #71
Lumpen Proletariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
For this ERROR you can thank in particular Tweed Shire Council circa 1999-2004. No NSW Council is authorised to install these signs ANYMORE, thank you:-) They may however post instead the new R4-12 "END speed limit sign", this one falls back to the rural default, it is used to invoke particular caution to drivers when entering a length of road that has identified hazards, such as hidden intersections or driveways, rail crossings, soft edges etc and so on. This sign contains the english word "END", example END 80.
These ones are old relics and are on (I assume) the Old Pacific Highway in the Lower Clarence. Well, they were there less than a year ago, I drove the road 7 days a week to get to work.

Quote:
110km/h is a speed restriction rural 'default' limit in WA, not NSW, so what you are saying is that the sign means 100km/h here in NSW. It IS a 'speed derestriction sign' and no SPIN can change that.

AND where, aside from my beloved Road User's Handbook, - where I've had the signs real description as a 'speed derestricted sign' once again used within, do you get this idea??
Sorry about the 100-110 thing, I kinda get confused. Where I received the idea that it was a 'rural limit' sign was during my NSW L's test when I failed after selecting the fact it was a Speed Derestriction sign and being 'told' it wasnt!

Quote:
NOTHING stupid about people obeying the meaning of what is an INTERNATIONAL road traffic sign.

Would you like to make this a seperate thread?
Practically a single road, patchwork tarmac, decating shoulders, cane almost to the road's edge, constant corners, cane pads and cane trucks emerging with little or no warning...VERY stupid to try flat out.

I'm not doubting you, I'm just relating my own personal experience.

Cheers,
Lumpy :gren:

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Happy Dealings with: FordFan86 and Matt_971
Lumpen Proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 03:28 PM   #72
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor

i've lived half my life in both the country and city.

lived in
west wyalong
condoblin
eugerie
parkes
forbes
wellington
goulburn(which is a city btw)
windelima(back of goulburn)
tarago(back of goulburn)
taralga(back of goulburn)
braidwood(way out back of goulburn)
god the list goes on

then i've lived in
canberra(12 different suburbs)
sydney(6 different suburbs)
brisbane(3 different subrubs)

so im pretty sure i know the worse case scenerio either at 200+ or 80+
nothing is gunna stop a roo if its right on you,but i still bet a ferrari would handle it better then a ford anyday.

:
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #73
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Lumpen Proletariat wrote: - Sorry about the 100-110 thing, I kinda get confused. Where I received the idea that it was a 'rural limit' sign was during my NSW L's test when I failed after selecting the fact it was a Speed Derestriction sign and being 'told' it wasnt!
When was this may I ask?

I have the whole database comprising six hundred questions and answers here somewhere, as yes, we tell you it represents the rural default - 100km/h, but my legal advocacy side will tell you another.

The signs graphic (//) is unmistakable.

I could tell you the signs meaning under AS 1742.4 of 1999:-)
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 25-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #74
Lumpen Proletariat

Quote:
When was this may I ask?

I have the whole database comprising six hundred questions and answers here somewhere, as yes, we tell you it represents the rural default - 100km/h, but my legal advocacy side will tell you another.

The signs graphic (//) is unmistakable.

I could tell you the signs meaning under AS 1742.4 of 1999:-)
That was it, rural default not derestricted.This was 2000. It didn't matter as I got enough of the other wrong (is it 2 or 3 maximum wrong?) to fail the test anyway. :

Like you say, I went and downloaded the Road User Handbook from the RTA's website and there it is, page 52, Speed Derestricted Sign.

<Edit> Just read the text and it say the 'Default Speed Limit Apply'. Damned if you do....</edit>

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Happy Dealings with: FordFan86 and Matt_971
Lumpen Proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #75
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempster1
I know somebody who did Alice to titree in 52 minutes, not for a 202 km trip

Not bad...did they get a clearance from the control tower for low level flying.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 26-08-2006, 01:32 AM   #76
rushing on acid

i know that if a roo pops out in front of me the last thing i will be doing is slamming the brakes, nose dive - hit roo - roo ends up in your windscreen. jam your foot hard on the loud pedal and watch the roo bounce off your car without going through your windscreen. had a close call coming home from adelaide a few years back, i was glad the idiot with the vy gts overtook me 10 seconds earlier otherwise the xy would have been at sims metal. he hit that roo and hit it hard, he hit the brakes so hard his discs were glowing red by the time he stopped and the roo was half way through his windscreen, cops found it amusing when i told them i was sitting on 75 miles an hour and he passed me like i was sitting on the spot.
rushing on acid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #77
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpen Proletariat
That was it, rural default not derestricted.This was 2000. It didn't matter as I got enough of the other wrong (is it 2 or 3 maximum wrong?) to fail the test anyway. :

Like you say, I went and downloaded the Road User Handbook from the RTA's website and there it is, page 52, Speed Derestricted Sign.

<Edit> Just read the text and it say the 'Default Speed Limit Apply'. Damned if you do....</edit>
Exactly, having the correct descriptive is the first stage in getting the interpretation of this sign correct in NSW and throughout Australia, as required by the signs meaning held in AS1742.4 AND the signs primary governing legal application, the "United Nations Conventions on Road Traffic, Road Signs and Signals", where it means thus:-

"End of all local prohibitions imposed on moving vehicles". Hardly; 'default speed limit' or 'speed limit 100km/h' or 'speed limit 110km/h'.

Have a look at a Collins dictionary at the word 'derestriction' - it is to REMOVE, not impose. A Macquarie dictionary on the other hand fouls the English language by saying the latin 'de' means to ADD a restriction, what happened here is that Macquarie merely adopted the old AS rule and applied that as language. I'll be sticking with Collins et al.

Australian Standard 1742.4 of 1999 on the matter - this reflects the requirement of the United Nations Convention, as legal owner and administrator of legal instruments:-

Speed derestriction sign (R4-2), (Referenced as sign "C,17a" in the UN Conventions)
"The Speed Derestriction sign shall be used where permitted by State or Territory regulation, at the end of a linnear speed zone, or a general urban speed limit to indicate that no speed limit applies to the road beyond the sign".

Note: At time of publication, this applied to NT only.

Now, as I say - IF the AS were to state the sign means 'rural default', then once again (1986 edition), we'd drag this Standard before the United Nations at Geneva to have it bought in line with contracted requirement, and to insist that parties such as Australia who had not contracted to the 'Road Signs' portion of the traffic Convention, that it is NOT permissible to effectively 'knock off' international road traffic signs and then give them unique domestic meaning not understood by the world community, who well happen upon one.

Over 92 contries contract this sign and teach its meaning properly, but do not necessarily use it, those in error are New Zealand, GB and certain AUS states.

Meanwhile, to avoid 'speed excess' by some people - we'll continue to tell you in NSW that the sign means 'default 100km/h' and we'll test you on that. It is a matter of taking an exceed speed limit fine to court, if you wish to get off. Hello High Court, issues here you see of national metrology etc and so on can also come into play.

The sign does not allow for idiot speeds - where you can face dangerous driving charges, but in my view is often a safer option, on a per length of road basis than NT's blanket adoption, than posting say a middle east like 160km/h speed restriction, because of the bunching-up effect that speed restrictions inevitably cause.

Last edited by Keepleft; 26-08-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 29-08-2006, 06:25 PM   #78
HOON69
Banned

so whats everyone got planned for this week in 2007 ;)
http://cannonballworld.com/aus/Booki...0Australia.pdf
Old 29-08-2006, 07:37 PM   #79
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cannonball Video

Click Here

Enjoy :
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 08:00 PM   #80
HOON69
Banned

fairly old but still good to watch.

http://www.teckademicseast.com/forums/index.php?

another forum to see these videos from ;)
im also a member of them as im part of the "destroy international promo crew" ;)
Old 29-08-2006, 10:01 PM   #81
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I shall ask Allan to get his thoughts on it...in the next few days.

Personally unless they follow very strict rules..like I outlined...well it will not happen ever again!!!!

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 29-08-2006, 10:42 PM   #82
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I have been talking to a few folk around town. The general feeling seems to be that of doubt. There are not many positive comments about it being staged again. There are still memories of the last dissaster. I think that if the people that actually live out here have a say, it wont happen again. Nobody can see the point. The roads just cant sustain a vehicle going at those speeds. Personally I think that going any faster than 200k is asking for trouble. And we are not just talking about a quick squirt on the loud valve and then slow down and have a look around to see if you have been caught, (ie east coast driving style) these guys will get to well above 200 and stay there. And that is where the danger is. The longer you are at these speeds, the greater the chance of something bad happening.
Old 29-08-2006, 10:48 PM   #83
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Cannonball Video

Click Here

Enjoy :
Every single one og those people deserve to be locked up. I dont care if they were only putting their own lives on the line, but they are putting innocent people at risk. What a bunch of A55HOLES!!
Old 29-08-2006, 10:48 PM   #84
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Outbackjack...check out 'new adelaide airport is very impressive thread' and stop sulking!!!!!

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 29-08-2006, 11:00 PM   #85
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Every single one og those people deserve to be locked up. I dont care if they were only putting their own lives on the line, but they are putting innocent people at risk. What a bunch of A55HOLES!!

I tried to view link..am on dial up..don't work for me.

Outbackjack if the vid is of the Cannonball..then at that time nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Besides the 2officials and 2 compeptitors losing their lives it was also the last time I saw Greg Hansford alive...he died at Philip Island later on.

Now to get to the point ....YOU were NOT there..you have NO idea of the thinking of the day.

When and if you are prepared to accept an alternate point of view...let us know.

You have been challenged...stop sulking over my previous posts and get a thick skin!!!!!!!!!!

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 29-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #86
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
I tried to view link..am on dial up..don't work for me.

Outbackjack if the vid is of the Cannonball..then at that time nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Besides the 2officials and 2 compeptitors losing their lives it was also the last time I saw Greg Hansford alive...he died at Philip Island later on.

Now to get to the point ....YOU were NOT there..you have NO idea of the thinking of the day.

When and if you are prepared to accept an alternate point of view...let us know.

You have been challenged...stop sulking over my previous posts and get a thick skin!!!!!!!!!!
True, I was not there on the day. But I am here now. The video is from the US. Just a buch of idiots speeding up conjested freeways. Passing in emergency stopping lanes and the like. Not the kind of people that I want my family to share the roads with.
Old 29-08-2006, 11:16 PM   #87
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
True, I was not there on the day. But I am here now. The video is from the US. Just a buch of idiots speeding up conjested freeways. Passing in emergency stopping lanes and the like. Not the kind of people that I want my family to share the roads with.

Mate, the yank version is/was so much different from the OZ Cannonball.

The only problem with the OZ run....was the F40 and its crew...uptil then everthing was running fine...when we meet, I shall if you wish, tell you about the OZ Cannonball.

And I really do mean to meet as many on the forums as I can...given time and dollars.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 29-08-2006, 11:31 PM   #88
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Mate, the yank version is/was so much different from the OZ Cannonball.

The only problem with the OZ run....was the F40 and its crew...uptil then everthing was running fine...when we meet, I shall if you wish, tell you about the OZ Cannonball.

And I really do mean to meet as many on the forums as I can...given time and dollars.
I would love to get an insiders point of view. I am also teaching myself as much as I can learn about this "new" folley. If I can see any benefit to it, and I can see how it is totally safe, I may even get involved.

See ya in Adelaide......
Old 29-08-2006, 11:52 PM   #89
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would love to get an insiders point of view. I am also teaching myself as much as I can learn about this "new" folley. If I can see any benefit to it, and I can see how it is totally safe, I may even get involved.

See ya in Adelaide......

Sorry to disillusion you mate ...but nothing in life is totally safe...unless you stay in bed all day and are waited upon.

however having said that ..it can be made as safe as possible ...IF everyone follows the rules.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 30-08-2006, 04:57 PM   #90
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
so im pretty sure i know the worse case scenerio either at 200+ or 80+ nothing is gunna stop a roo if its right on you,but i still bet a ferrari would handle it better then a ford anyday.
handle it better in what way? impact resistance?
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post