Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #31
muppet

I would call eminem song writing(and production) rather than musicianship as is most of the hip hop, rap stuff. Musicianship is when someone writes a song that is good as well as hard to play by other musos. I dont see the hard to play bit in any hip hop music. Its not realy that hard to programe a drum machine lol.
I dissagree that there are not many bands out there playing because they love it . Just go to any pub or club and most of the bands ,DJ's are not even getting paid enough to cover their costs if that aint love I dont know what is. I think you have hit the nail on the head as to why alot of todays music is c r a p it is because the people that make it are into making money rather than music.
Eminem is as big a knob head as malmsteen he go's on with just as much c r a p.
Old 14-08-2006, 05:07 PM   #32
muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
So so true.

Could I ask if you have heard of anything by Tool?

If you are a musician and like to be challenged, I'll almost guarantee you will appreciate Tool.
Yeah funnily enough the drummer in my band wants to do tool songs . I have never realy had a good listen to them ,I think I will have to have to. The drummer is 21 and I am 37 but it is amazing the amount of stuff we listen to that is the same. We do dimmu borgir and cradle of filth type stuff so we are being well challenged at the moment but I will have to give tool a listen.
Old 14-08-2006, 05:29 PM   #33
Disco1986

i guess it took people a while to relise how much they sucked
Disco1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #34
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Good to know there are so many musos on here. Yes, malmsteem is good, but he is really a bit of a ***** when it comes to his fans.
There were so many good bands and yes it was remiss of me to forget to mention others like hendrix, BB king, little river band, the stones, yes, diesel, etc; even Sam and Dave had it in spades over the tools of today.

Personally I think music is in a glut, where there are so many bands formed by marketing departments as opposed to the days of old where bands were formed in garages. The huge proliferation of ex soapie stars turned musicians is really annoying, and they are dumbing down the music industry with their pop crap.

I like dance music, Jay Z, Paul Mac etc as I indicated in my earlier post, atleast these people were original. But the amount of crap is piling, and artists like fitty cent and the like only serve to make the situation worse with their alleged shock value of swearing and pretending to be a gangsta.

Most great musicians started to play by listening to others and copying the sound rather than getting lessons, Van Halen, Billy Joel, BB King, Eric clapton, mellencamp, satriani, the list goes on, so not being able to read sheet music is rarely an impediment. If you do a lot of session work then you would find not being able to read music a problem.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #35
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

The "latest" album, (which is still pretty old) was to have a part 2, but now they have stated that there won't be another one.

I don't recall them saying that they have officially broken up (probably want to keep their options open in case they run out of money), but they are on an indefinite break.

No great loss there.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #36
Juzdin
Starter Motor

Geez this thread has warped into something else. He He.

I agree that essentially music is for the money but I don't think all bands that are successful in the mainstream start out that way. There are still bands that make it straight out of the garage (The White Stripes.) But staying alive in the music industry once you are there is so competitive, you have to get sucked in and become what you hate. Korn and Limp Bizkit are two examples of this. They started off being new, experimental, adding to previous generations of music but once they got big, the record companies demand hits. From there its just churning out top 20 hits. Its a catch 22 though. To make money you have to be successful to be successful you have to do what the record labels say. Ultimately you turn into a marketing tool. Even Metallica fell into the trap a few years ago.

On a side note I appreciate TOOL (the drummer is fantastic,) own some of there albums but they haven't done anything different for a long time. Its still the same riffs as Aenima.
Juzdin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 06:49 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

They were pretty good until Fred Durst got a big head and sold out and starting writing commercial crap. Three dollar bill was very cool, significant other was pretty good but its all down hill after that,especially after the talent (Wes Borland) left.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 12:47 AM   #38
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet
I would call eminem song writing(and production) rather than musicianship as is most of the hip hop, rap stuff. Musicianship is when someone writes a song that is good as well as hard to play by other musos. I dont see the hard to play bit in any hip hop music. Its not realy that hard to programe a drum machine lol.
I dissagree that there are not many bands out there playing because they love it . Just go to any pub or club and most of the bands ,DJ's are not even getting paid enough to cover their costs if that aint love I dont know what is. I think you have hit the nail on the head as to why alot of todays music is c r a p it is because the people that make it are into making money rather than music.
Eminem is song writing. And its still musicianship. Have you ever tried to make a hip hop song? Its not just as simple programming a drum machine. Which is actually quite hard to do it right and make it sound good.

He writes very catchy melodies and riffs. And his lyrics fit very well with the music. And you say thats not musicianship?

If say you met a bloke who was playing guitar and he wrote some riffs and played nicely and was singing along youd call that musicianship wouldnt you?
Its not exactly the same as no, hes not playing any instruments per se but he is creating music. Very catchy music.

So only hard to play songs are good and written by people with proper muscianship huh? I can BS on that one.

Im sure your a fan of ACDC like many many of us around here. How hard are there songs to play? Not very. So i spose theyre not real musicians then huh.

I know there are bands playing because they love it. But Im not talking about the local scene. Im a big fan of the local scene but were talking about popular music here. MOST of it is controlled by the money hungry fat cats. As people have said themselves. All the ex soapie pop stars and crap are what makes them money.

One of the popular bands that actually care about the music and fans is Pearl Jam. They make concerts longer at a cost to themselves. For example at one gig as the Square. There time was up but they continued for the fans at a huge cost to themselves. Now thats playing because you love it.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 01:47 AM   #39
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Not a fan of Limp Bizkit...

a) What a ****** name
b) I associate it with all the try hards/skaties/homies at my School (15/16 at the time) needless to say, most of them are now down and outers..
Old 15-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #40
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Crusher, Pearl Jam rock.
Also, eminem is music; however it is written differently to traditional music in the sense that the lyrics are written before the melody.
Whilst I don't mind eminem and would go so far as to say I like some of his songs, the fact of the matter remains that due to the shock value of him being one of the first to popularise profanity in music, he's not as widely revered as he once was. Seriously, when you hear an eminem song now don't you find it a bit the same as his other stuff?
I nearly busted a gut when I heard the radio edit of superman, as I guess I could have put my own expletives in there when the censorship beep occurred. When I heard the uncensored version I thought it was boring.
So in a way, eminem won a whole bunch of fans for his shock value, but people are becoming desensitised to it and as such whilst still hugely successful, he has lost the casual fans.
Anyway, he is still a musician; albeit with a filthy mouth.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #41
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Muppet - if your drummer can do what Danny Carey from Tool does - the kid must be awesome!!! The timings and technique employed by Danny Carey are out of this world - and in my opinion - unmatched by any other drummer. Ever.

Juzdin - great that you listen to Tool! But I'd have to disagree with you (in a friendly way!) about your quote that all their riffs are the same as Anema. You listened to 10,000 days - their latest release? Very different. I think that Tool have evolved and changed with each album - and not many other artists can lay claim to that. You listen to a song from Opiate, then Undertow, then Anema, then Lateralus, then 10,000 days - man some huge changes to their sound over time - yet not enough to totally change them from the Tool sound they are known for.

Sorry for the Tool ramble. Limp Bizkit arent worth the key strokes.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #42
muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher
Eminem is song writing. And its still musicianship. Have you ever tried to make a hip hop song? Its not just as simple programming a drum machine. Which is actually quite hard to do it right and make it sound good.

He writes very catchy melodies and riffs. And his lyrics fit very well with the music. And you say thats not musicianship?

If say you met a bloke who was playing guitar and he wrote some riffs and played nicely and was singing along youd call that musicianship wouldnt you?
Its not exactly the same as no, hes not playing any instruments per se but he is creating music. Very catchy music.

So only hard to play songs are good and written by people with proper muscianship huh? I can BS on that one.

Im sure your a fan of ACDC like many many of us around here. How hard are there songs to play? Not very. So i spose theyre not real musicians then huh.

I know there are bands playing because they love it. But Im not talking about the local scene. Im a big fan of the local scene but were talking about popular music here. MOST of it is controlled by the money hungry fat cats. As people have said themselves. All the ex soapie pop stars and crap are what makes them money.

One of the popular bands that actually care about the music and fans is Pearl Jam. They make concerts longer at a cost to themselves. For example at one gig as the Square. There time was up but they continued for the fans at a huge cost to themselves. Now thats playing because you love it.
Hay I calls them as I sees them.
I have never put together a hip hop song myself but I have sat next to someone while they did(I used to work in a recording studio). This person could not play any instruments(besides a computer) and had the thing knocked out in less than an hour. I did not say that hip hop ,rap was not music but to me if you knock it all out on a computer with no actual musical instruments involved it's not musicianship it's song writing and producing imo.
I think eminem is a very smart and talented song writer and producer but he can not realy sing very well and he plays no actual musical instruments so in my book he is not a musician.
AS for ac/dc songs well have you tryed to play any angus solos. The rest is pretty easy but the solos are not.
And only hard songs are good I did not say that I said that musos like to listen to songs that will challenge them to play better. When I listen to music I want to hear good guitar playing because I am a guitar player. If I played the tryangle I would want to listen to music with good tryangle playing. I have never listened to a song that was done on a computer and thought how the hell did they do that.
I agree fully with you're comment about music being controlled by fat cats that are only interested in making money and as a result I think peoples perception of what good musicianship is has suffered. It all comes down to the meaning of the word muso to you ,to me it means someone that plays a musical instrument. If it means something different to you then that is just fine with me . But I have never seen anyone sit down and practice 4 to 6 hours a day for 20 years to learn how to play a computer. I have however seen people spend years refining their songwriting and production skills but they never said they where musos they called themselves a producer or a songwriter or both.
Old 15-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #43
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Quote:
Hay I calls them as I sees them.
I have never put together a hip hop song myself but I have sat next to someone while they did(I used to work in a recording studio). This person could not play any instruments(besides a computer) and had the thing knocked out in less than an hour. I did not say that hip hop ,rap was not music but to me if you knock it all out on a computer with no actual musical instruments involved it's not musicianship it's song writing and producing imo.
I think eminem is a very smart and talented song writer and producer but he can not realy sing very well and he plays no actual musical instruments so in my book he is not a musician.
AS for ac/dc songs well have you tryed to play any angus solos. The rest is pretty easy but the solos are not.
And only hard songs are good I did not say that I said that musos like to listen to songs that will challenge them to play better. When I listen to music I want to hear good guitar playing because I am a guitar player. If I played the tryangle I would want to listen to music with good tryangle playing. I have never listened to a song that was done on a computer and thought how the hell did they do that.
I agree fully with you're comment about music being controlled by fat cats that are only interested in making money and as a result I think peoples perception of what good musicianship is has suffered. It all comes down to the meaning of the word muso to you ,to me it means someone that plays a musical instrument. If it means something different to you then that is just fine with me . But I have never seen anyone sit down and practice 4 to 6 hours a day for 20 years to learn how to play a computer. I have however seen people spend years refining their songwriting and production skills but they never said they where musos they called themselves a producer or a songwriter or both.

yeah everyone has different ideas about what being a muso is. And I do agree to a point that a real muso plays an instrument but I also consider a computer an instrument. Its just a different type. I had many a long chat with my music teacher in high school about these sort of subjects. So many different ideas out there. And its good cos otherwise itd be pretty boring if everyone had the same ideas.

Angus solos....yeah some are a bit difficult and ill admit I cant play half as well as him but when you get down to it theyre not all that difficult.
Now Petrucci from Dream Theatre....try playing some of his solos! Theres a long running joke going around that he's a robot lol.

Have you ever listened to Dream Theatre? That will challenge you. Bloody insane time signatures and then they change them half way through a riff and go back and its nuts. Sometimes too nuts and it sounds a bit rubbish.

And you mention Tool. Insane stuff. There was a thing I read about the drummer (is it danny carey or am i thinking about someone else?) using mathematical equations to write the drum music for songs. Now thats nuts. Very good band.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 12:36 PM   #44
Juzdin
Starter Motor

XA Coupsta: Fair enough. Don't get me wrong I like them but I sometimes think people go over the top about them. I have heard some stuff off of 10,000 but didn't really soak it in. I will take a listen to it properly. Sometimes I hear Maynards voice and it seems like the last song I just heard. I guess its a similar case of techno people thinking rock sounds all the same, while rock people think techno is all the same (not that I like techno.) The differentiation between each album hasn't clicked with me. Nevertheless they are one of the current bands that in future years will have cult status (they already have it I guess.)
Juzdin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #45
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah Limp Bizkit is alright..

I like heaps of music. I like oldies as much as the new stuff.

At the moment I really like the oldie techno mashups. Good songs brought into todays generation.

But yes I do agree there is a lot of crap out today. Rogue Traders anyone? It's just getting so annoying, it aint cute anymore. I did like them but hearing it over and over again, and not much difference between songs has worn thin.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #46
gozza

Quote:

I make beats, Rap and produce my own stuff....Drum machines are not the only way to make beats..

I write melodies on keyboards and use midi to make bass lines...i play sax also....Theres many different way to make drum patterns...Sample someone elses...Use a Drum Machine....Record live Drums.....The possibilties are endless....There is more too Hip Hop then you think

As to Mainstream Hiphop...Its pathetic....don't judge hiphop based on snoop dogg and eminem
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #47
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
So so true.

Could I ask if you have heard of anything by Tool?

If you are a musician and like to be challenged, I'll almost guarantee you will appreciate Tool.
Just started listening to Tool hey...amazing drummer!!! Talk about inspirational
I also listen to Primus and Muse to challenge me

PS i found the Fred Durst Smiley...---> :
Old 15-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #48
Ringo
I see you....

The wikipedia file on limp bizkit is huge.....
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #49
Lukaz
Starter Motor

Fred is a guitar freak now..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0PbOk6GgmY

part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6NdmvdsIpk

This is gold, guitarist's will find this even funnier
And man does this dude rock.
Lukaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 12:58 AM   #50
eminvil_12

There are many many artists out there which are widely known yet stick to the indipendent record labels, even rejecting larger labels just so they can stay the same and produce the music they love. Larger labels force these bands to make 'hits' even if that isnt their style.

Check out Immortal Technique, he is one of the most widely known rappers in the underground scene and makes better beats and rhymes than these artists which have been signed to make records that sell, Eminem, Ice cube, 50 cent is a joke, The game etc etc. Check out Talib Kweli as well, sooooo much more.

This applies for older bands as well, Saetia, Rites of spring, Braid, Hot water music, all awesome bands.

/End of rant
eminvil_12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post